GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2 Plot Details

The set visit embargo has been lifted and new details on the plot have been disclosed.

>Three months after saving Xandar, the Guardians of the Galaxy are working as heroes for hire. They've become famous across the galaxy but still struggle to work together.

>They are employed by the Sovereign People to prevent an interdimensional monster, the Abellisk, from consuming ther planet's power source.

>The Sovereign People are genetically engineered "perfect" beings obsessed with order and honor. They repay the Guardians by capturing Nebula so the Guardians can turn her over to the Nova Corps to answer for her crimes.

>Rocket feels ripped off and steals some power batteries before leaving, offending Ayesha, leader of the Soveregn People. She hires the Ravagers to capture the Guardians and retrieve the batteries in order to restore their honor.

>Yondu declines the job in order to protect Star-Lord. The Ravagers are already upset that Yondu allowed Star-Lord to deliver the Power Stone to the Nova Corps and mutiny against him. Warmonger Taserface takes command and accepts Ayesha's offer.

>The Guardians are split early on, with Rocket and Baby Groot being captured by the Ravagers and locked up with Yondu while Star-Lord, Gamora and Drax are rescued by Star-Lord's father, Ego.

Other urls found in this thread:

comicbookmovie.com/guardians_of_the_galaxy/new-plot-details-for-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-a148740
slashfilm.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-set-visit/
newsarama.com/30349-star-lord-s-father-confirmed.html
slashfilm.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-set-visit/2/
comingsoon.net/movies/features/810299-interview-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-writer-and-director-james-gunn
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Ego is an ancient cosmic being and is accompanied by his naive attendant and surrogate daughter, Mantis. He had been searching for Star-Lord since Yondu failed to deliver him as a child and managed to track him down after learning about the Guardians and how their leader was a Terran who survived holding an Infinity Stone. Star-Lord then becomes divided between the Guardians and Ego.

>The movie's dramatic arc centers on whether the Guardians will stay together or if they're simply too different to function as a team.

>Ayesha and Taserface are reportedly the main villains.

>There was originally another member of the team who was written out as production went on but will probably appear further down the line.

comicbookmovie.com/guardians_of_the_galaxy/new-plot-details-for-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-a148740

>OOGA CHAKA OOGA CHAKA
No more, please. I've had enough.

Sup Forums has reached their "wtf i hate guardians of the galaxy now" phase, I see.

I've just had enough of the MCU in general. Aside from Incredible Hulk and Winter Soldier it's all the same fucking garbage.

>The movie's dramatic arc centers on whether the Guardians will stay together as a team or if they're simply too different

Oh gosh, I'm not sure I can handle the tension of not knowing whether this team of lovable and highly marketable misfits will stay together in the latest installment of their blockbuster movie series.

Well you don't have to watch them.

>There was originally another member of the team who was written out as production went on but will probably appear further down the line.

I think Fox might sadly have the rights to him.

Nope, he's with Marvel.

How do we know? He debuted in FF after all.

Is Adam Warlock in it?

No.

So did Black Panther and a bunch of other characters.

>The movie's dramatic arc centers on whether the Guardians will stay together or if they're simply too different to function as a team.
This shit is misleading. We already know the "drama" of this movie will come from Ego being Peter's biological father, and Yondu being the one who raised him like his son.

The twist will probably be that Ego betrays them by the end and kills Yondu.

Yeah, but Black Panther and Inhumans were specifically taken out to be licensed as seperate franchises. Do you really think that Marvel expected anyone to want to do a solo Adam Warlock movie?

Yeah, some people were discussing that in the trailer thread, once you think about it it becomes a little too obvious what the movie is gonna be like.

Do you really think that Fox wanted to do a solo Adam Warlock movie? even the Skrull race is fair game for the MCU bar Kl'Rt.

As far as I know the FF rights have the four, their supporting cast and a bunch of known FF villains, everything else wasn't included.

MEGA FLOP INCOMING

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

It's either that or Ego sacrifices himself to save Quill or something.

There's no way Kurt Russel signed a multi-picture deal, this is probably just a one off for him like Robert Redford.

I thought Rooker was confirmed for Infinity War

>Do you really think that Fox wanted to do a solo Adam Warlock movie?
Of course not, all I'm saying is that I doubt Marvel would have gone out of their way to exclude Adam from the contract they made with Fox. They couldn't even be bothered to take out Kang the Conqueror for fucks sake.

>As far as I know the FF rights have the four, their supporting cast and a bunch of known FF villains, everything else wasn't included.
As far as I know, Fox has the rights to the Four, and all characters that debuted in that book with a few exceptions like BP and the Inhumans. Also all characters related to Galactus and the Silver Surfer.

Some Infinity War news too

>"Thanos in Infinity War is – in a movie that has a lot of characters, you could almost go so far as to say he is the main character, and that’s a bit of a departure from what we’ve done before, but that was appropriate for a movie called Infinity War."

Thanos Quest confirmed?

>naive attendant and surrogate daughter, Mantis

actual article
>Traveling with Ego is his personal attendant, Mantis

>Of course not, all I'm saying is that I doubt Marvel would have gone out of their way to exclude Adam from the contract they made with Fox.
Or maybe he wasn't even included in the first place. The Kree also appeared in FF for the first time and were the enemy in Guardians vol 1.

This is all just speculation, there's no point in seriously discussing this, but considering that Adam's cocoon appeared in Guardians vol. 1 chances are he's with Marvel Studios rather then Fox.

Yeah, that's also a good guess. I'm pretty sure Russell and Keaton will pull a Tilda Swinton too.

I don't think he was confirmed. Peter, Mantis, Nebula and Drax are 100% confirmed to appear in the first one though.

>thanos rekting the Nova Corps
>then the Collector
>then Asgard
>then he comes to earth
Sounds good.

>The Kree also appeared in FF for the first time and were the enemy in Guardians vol 1.
That's probably because they were included with the rights to the Inhumans for obvious reasons. Just like Klaw was included with the BP rights.

>Second film is literally repeating the plot structure of the first film

Welp this is gonna suck.

>Ego is an ancient cosmic being and is accompanied by his naive attendant and surrogate daughter, Mantis

>socially challenged little half-sister Mantis
This is doing wonders to my dick.

seethe article makes no mention of daughter, the person who made the post made shit up

Do you realize there have been more articles, right?

Mantis was supposedly raised by Ego, she's not her biological daughter but you get the gig.

The article that linked

>Traveling with Ego is his personal attendant, Mantis. She's described as very naive, making Drax look like a worldly-scholar in comparison.

and the article that's linked there talks about drax being a father figure to mantis

for some reason the person who made the post reworded it to include daughter

>being this much of an autist

Who /mosthypedforRagnarok/ here?

The person who copy-pasted the article rewrote it to make mantis ego's daughter

it's weird to me that someone would make up shit like that

It's funny because you don't even know what the fuck it's happening and keep blabbing about muh article.

>yfw he's in the post credits scene

No, the first film was if the Guardians would COME together as a team, not STAY together. Sheesh.

slashfilm.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-set-visit/

Kevin Feige says that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is more of a standalone story than Captain America: Civil War. This sequel is more focused on the characters than setting up the Marvel galactic universe. This film is about their evolution as heroes, as their own internal family as the group. Thanos and Infinity Stones don’t make an appearance, and The Avengers and Thor are not mentioned. That said, the team at the end of this sequel will “inform future things, but there’s nothing that nods directly towards it.”

A couple of post-credits sequences are written into the screenplay, one that ties into something bigger, but we were told the ideas could change by the final cut of the film. James Gunn said only the following about the post-credit scenes: “You guys saw my last tag, right? I had two tags, one was a baby dancing Groot, and the other one is fucking Howard the Duck. That’s my tags. I wouldn’t wait. I don’t think the fate of the Marvel universe is gonna, don’t wait.”

This film will top the original film in terms of Easter Eggs. James Gunn says “Our Easter egg obsession is insane. In fact, I have the dumbest Easter egg. We have so many incredibly obscure Easter eggs in this movie that it’s ridiculous. Yeah, we’ve been working hard on the Easter eggs. I feel this need to do it now since people have been pouring over stuff so much.”

>Mantis and Drax spend a lot of time together in this story and have a connection. At the very core of Drax, he is just heartbroken and a childlike innocence, which is why he connects to Mantis. The character is less sexual than the other female characters in the film.

I wonder if they're gonna fuse a little of moondragon into mantis and make drax a father figure to her

>easter eggs
Did anyone finally figure the top secret easter egg from the first movie?

>I wonder if they're gonna fuse a little of moondragon into mantis and make drax a father figure to her
I don't think so, this sounds they're outright replacing Moondragon with her.

>>There was originally another member of the team who was written out as production went on but will probably appear further down the line.
PLEASE

>Songs we heard being played on set included “My Sweet Lord” by George Harrison and Fleetwood Mac’s The Chain, which played in the original teaser trailer. Jay and the Americans’ Come A Little Bit Closer was shown in the piece shown at Comic Con, and also will appear in the film.

If they ever go back to Knowhere and Cosmo isn't there as security chief I'll be really disappointed.

>The casting was confirmed at the Marvel Studios panel at Comic-Con International: San Diego. It's likely Russell's version of Ego won't be seen as an actual "living planet" like his comic book counterpart, and he reportedly raises Pom Klementieff's character, Mantis.

newsarama.com/30349-star-lord-s-father-confirmed.html

Soothe your autism, lone user.

There's a different between "dramatic arc" and "character arc". Everyone has their character arcs, Quill's obviously being his relationship with Ego, but they all arch around the core dramatic curve of what it means being a team.

>Self-contained story

I can dig it.

>Thanos destroying Nova Corps
>This won't set up Dick Rider's origin

One job, Marvel.

Gunn wanted Starhawk

Guess Phyla and Moondragon have to wait until Phase 4...

Me. I'm moderately hyped for GoTG sure, but Ragnarok has most of my interest and it's not even close.

>Novas are just space police with no abilities of any kind
>Nova Prime is their boss, another normal person

The only way i could see Rider or an actual Nova superhero being introduced is if they try to use the power gem as an energy source for a helmet/suit or whatever, and that means he would last as long as it takes Thanos to complete the gauntlet, if that.

Mantis is already Moondragon and Phyla ain't happening.

>Russell's human form dies
>"Don't worry son, I am planet"
>bigtime CGI
>Kurt Russell gets to collect cushy VA check whenever Ego gets used

makes sense for damn near all involved

>MCU movie
>Flopping
God I hate this meme

What the fuck even is the Nova Force anyway? The other Cosmic guys I can understand cause they're generally harnessing the power cosmic or they've been gifted powers by some cosmic entity or they possess some cosmic artifact. Basically it usually goes back to space magic which is fair enough.

But the Nova Force is this apparently limitless power force that Xandar just... created? S'pretty high-tech.

I've been more annoyed by how much the film has influenced the mainstream of what the Guardians already were.

>of what the Guardians already were

A vaguely defined team that disbanded after averting the crisis that brought them together?

Yeah, it's really annoying how badly Gunn crippled any chance to see Rich get a proper set up.

>"Klementieff's father died of cancer when she was five, and her mother was schizophrenic and unable to care for children, so Klementieff was raised by her paternal uncle and aunt. Her uncle died on her 18th birthday, and her brother committed suicide on her 25th birthday."

>it's revealed that the best Xandarian scientists reverse-engineered the power stone
>when Thanos attacked they sent Rhomann Dey into the Galaxy to safeguard it and use it to rebuild Xandar
>on the way he is attacked by Thanos' forces and jettisons the power source (now contained in his helmet/harness/whatever) which winds up on Earth

wow so crippled

>We made a second power gem.
That's such a fucking cop out

it doesn't have to be a second power stone you faggot that was just an example

god novafags are such babies

Because he doesn't care but it's not like it's unfixable, it's just that they will have to come up with another explanation.

Besides the Nova corps are not necessary for Rich's origin, he just needs Nova force and they can come up with a way to get that.

Lol look at where Drax is looking, he saw the ball of fire coming down and watches it as it hits Mantis, what an ass.

>>There was originally another member of the team who was written out as production went on but will probably appear further down the line.

Gunn talked about it in his Fbook livestream yesterday, he said he HOPED the character might make a future appearance in the MCU which is why he didn't say who it was.

>We have so many incredibly obscure Easter eggs in this movie that it’s ridiculous.

He had some obscure ones in GotG that only Cosmicfags that read old original GotG picked up on, I expect more of that.

Drax was paternal to more characters than just Moondragon in the comics, there was Cammi for example.

i wonder if anyone remembers Mantis is Vietnamese

he yelled LOOK OUT

Yeah after it hit her.

I'm guessing Adam Warlock.

desu I'm still confused by the set pics that showed starships attacking a street on Earth considering Nathan Fillion was on movie posters as Simon Williams including a Tony Stark biopic meaning it's not a flashback. This might mean the movie ends with Guardians stranded on Earth

I don't think stranded, but set up for Infinity Wars. Probably ends with them running into the Avengers, and cut to black.

Gunn said no on having too much Cosmo because having a real dog with Rocket will make Rocket seem more fake or something.

Or they probably finally visit Earth so that Quill can get his fucking closure and that's how they become involved with the whole Avengers and Infinity shit later on.

Gunn did want Phyla Vell and Moondragon, but was told no.

>In the art room, there was concept art for a planet called “J’son,” which is the name of Peter Quill’s father from the comic books. When we asked producer Kevin Feige about this, he would only say “You know, this room was scrubbed before you guys came in. It’s a very good question. You should ask James.” Another producer told us that the planet would not be called “J’Son” in the final film. But Kurt Russell’s chair on set even featured that character name “J’Son.” Later, James Gunn assured us definitively that “there is no J-son in the MCU.” The concept art of the planet is something out of fantastical sci-fi, filled with vibrant red colors, looks like from the cover of a 1970’s LP.
slashfilm.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-set-visit/2/

POTTERY

But:
>>Kurt Russell is playing Ego, a mysterious adventurer from far parts of the galaxy who has heard the legend of the Guardians and has come to meet them for the first time. James Gunn describes the character as a “thoughtful and gregarious guy.” In the art room, we saw concept art showing Kurt Russell’s character Ego wearing goggles, a cloak, and a brown blaster holster. The Guardians first encounter Ego on a forest planet named “Berhert” which has origins from the comics.

>“I think there’s a trap a lot of sequels fall in,” continued Gunn, “where they say ‘Okay, we had that beat where there was a dance off, so what is our dance off in this movie’? And we had that moment where they ‘We are Groot’, so what is our [new] ‘We are Groot’ moment?’ And then I’m like, screw all of that. This is its own thing... I think the only tradition is that we try to give the audience what’s unexpected and what they don’t think is coming next. And mostly just in terms of the story, the characters hopefully being something that’s a little deeper than the first one movie.”

I trust Gunn.

Apparently the character James Gunn wanted was a male character and not one of the classic Guardians and they have yet to appear in the MCU. From the comingsoon.net interview

>Q: In the first treatment you mentioned there’s a character that got cut, wasn’t really necessary. Will that other Guardian eventurally be in the future?

>Gunn: Yeah. Yeah for sure, I love the character actually. I loved everything about the character, I just didn’t have room for him.

>Q: Was it a classic Guardian?

>Gunn: I don’t know what you think is a classic Guardian. You mean Yondu, Starhawk classic Guardians? No.

He can't use Bug either (because of right problems with Hasbro because of the Micronauts) so that leaves Jack Flag and Adam Warlock.

Also another part from the same interview

>Q: We saw a little bit of the art, but we don’t really know a ton about Ayesha, can you explain a little bit about her character and what she presents to the Guardians. In terms of being a formidable villain for the Guardians.

>Gunn: She’s a member of this race called the Suvern and they’re all genetically created by themselves as a self-sustaining race who are perfect. They’re created as perfect beings, and they think of themselves as perfect.

>Q: In the comics she’s related to Adam Warlock. Is that the case, she’s gold here just like he is. Is it the race Adam Warlock comes from, perhaps in the Marvel Universe?

>Gunn: Totally possible. They’re created in pods.

Guys it's Adam Warlock

>Source: comingsoon.net/movies/features/810299-interview-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-writer-and-director-james-gunn

And this here is what the creatively bankrupt writers and editors at Marvel Comics and the hacks who make the GotG cartoons don't fucking get, since all they do is try to repeat those moments and they just come off as shit.