How's Your Webcomic? #346

Post your comic here, tell us about it. Share your process. Tell us your inspirations.
Previously on HYW:

Other urls found in this thread:

myscriptfont.com/
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
pastebin.com/JrQE7K4m
abnor.com.br/?lang=en
youtube.com/watch?v=4zOMNmuQj_s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on,
Ask for an invite in the thread.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

Fuck, did I put shit up at the end again?
AGAIN??

reposting from the last thread, changed the text a bit

ok roughs are done, you play as right-most. the art is whatever, just something i can crank out quick for the thread.

how's this for the start:
the schoolday is over, and just before leaving you needed to use the bathroom. upon arriving at your desk you find a surprise. boxes of, presumably, chocolate.
gifts?
[enter command]

command is decided by first to three votes

you don't have to put it up again right away if you want, you could just link to it. those links should still work for everyone

Next time you might want to check how many posts the thread has left. The bump limit is 500

thing I said last time!

senpai though your command is perfect for how this plays out, the game hasnt started. when it does, ill link the /qst/ thread
just getting everything ready for now

oh okay!

Am I reading too close to the Cal-Arts Style?
Should I invest in Copics ?

1/4

2/4

3/4

4/4

cal-arts is just a synonym for lack of skill and creativity. mostly a lack of progress.
your style is fine. body is pretty distinct
skill wise your faces could be a little more properly aligned for non-punchline panels

copics are expensive, whats your budget?

like $40

Your style is great, I'd happily read something of yours in the future

if you plan on doing full color- eh. save it. get color pencils instead and practice color theory and shading.
get it later

Copics are expensive, especially when you factor in paper and replacements, is there any reason you specifically want to use markers to color your comic? Because honestly, I think your color might look better with clean digital colors from Manga Studio or something.

I want a surreal color pallet semi-reminiscent
of
Megg,Moll & Owl

the most you can afford with that budget is several, and youll probably need the blending marker too.
it might be a waste if you're still new to colors and very limiting with that budget
just my two cents

an analogous color scheme could be an option though

or split-complementary

>Reality has been destroyed twice.
>It's a weird mess.
>More or less just an excuse to draw, and have fun.
>Never did a proper origin.
>Still working on organizing it better.

Come on by!

Also, I thought that was the small logo... Oh well.

>Reality has been destroyed twice.
now that is neat. without time in between for it to recover?
>Still working on organizing it better.
I hope so. right now I don't even know which of the storylines you're talking about

I beginning to go deeper into sketching out this comic from the ground up...

The pages always give me this feeling of being incomplete... Even though i tell myself it's a sketch there's feeling i get when i want to just complete there and then. But i wanted to try this.

Should i finish one page then go the the next, or should i stay on this method of planning each page before finalizing.

nice swordgrab there. and I love the game commands onscreen
it's unequip* btw
In this case, with so little going on in each one, I would forgive you for sketching multiple pages before finishing all of them. Otherwise I would say finish one page at a time

Hmm... Well do you think there's a problem with the pacing?

I mean i haven't shown this in order really...
for one thing i just wanted to start off the comic and bit slow and ease the reader into the situation before the surprise.

>Thanks for the correction, i guess i really need to proof read these 3 times before i post the polish.

>i guess i really need to proof read these 3 times before i post the polish.
this wind feels* great

and no, this is normal pacing. Most 'page' comics like this are roughly this pace. and many of them sketch out several pages at a time before finishing them.

>This wind feel great
see... but it would have caught on at least through the revisions.

Really lovin' this.
yeah I assume said revisions will also fix up the uneven word spacing, right? at least your handwriting is good

I would focus on a page at a time, but keep the following pages in mind while crafting your current one. Give it some kind of thought, since each page should transition smoothly between each other, but imo too much planning can be stifling.

Also, there's an issue with the last panel: it's not really clear exactly WHO is drawing the sword. Yes, we can assume it's the person behind the rock but for all we know it could even be a third party.

I had an idea for a revised panel, but I didn't know how to explain it well so I drew one up. This angle serves multiple purposes: It shows us who's drawing the sword, it allows us to see their body language, and it adds suspense because we as the reader now know something the mc doesn't, since it's clear to us that the rock is obstructing her view of the entire scene (i.e. the sword)

Actually thats the point of the panel, I wanted to kinda mess with the reader a bit. The person drawing the sword is in fact a third party.

But I like your idea, the only reason I didn't show the person's body was to convey a person hidden from view and their intentions with the sword draw.

But thats my opinion really I could revise and change it later, you never know.

or you could throw user's frankly awesome panel sketch in on the next page. Hell I wanna use it and I don't have any characters with hip-drawn swords

Finished page 3.

WIP of pg 4.
Some of you might recognize this page before.

>Actually thats the point of the panel, I wanted to kinda mess with the reader a bit
Be careful with this. It's good to subvert the readers expectations, but clarity is extremely important. Anything that makes me stop reading and go "Wait, what is this?" breaks immersion and should therefore be avoided

Trust me the next few pages get pretty hectic... no spoilers for any of you.

Noted, I'll try not to go overboard with the hidden context of the comic. This one panel though does help connect what happens next. If it weren't there THEN it would be pretty random.

If I showed who it was and where they are ,there'd be less suspense on what gonna happen next

Do rough/ sketch ups of pages for compositions inside the panels and how to arrange the panels.

Just like sketching out under-drawings for characters and perspective of backgrounds, you need to have the foundation down for everything first before you go into detail and polish it up.

You might think it feels like redrawing it but really it doesn't, more like sculpting away or building upon something.

ok, i finished the first chapter and decided to share it free online by just pasting the script here: pastebin.com/JrQE7K4m

im risking a lot by showing you this, because i know you thiefs going to thief, but its the only way to see if anything needs to be improved script wise so i can fix it before i finish drawing it.(im drawing page 1 right now!)

so... rate my writing skills! how did i do? does everything look good? The first chapter covers every girls most recent back story and i think really gets you to know their personality and quirks before the second chapter starts.

please be honest, and i have shitty linksys internet and might not be able to respond until tomorrow when i can get on some real internet, so thanks for any critique and advice and hateful criticism which also helps out alot to!

How old are you? Serious question.

Old enough! :D

do not talk to bones
even if this is by far his best project yet

he is 34 right now, will be 35 this month. here's a picture of bones for reference

remember to not reply to him next time

Don't lead him on, either.

You just replied to bones, my friend

lead him on?

Something from my sketch breaks.

I don't know who these chicks are but they're looking for trouble.

>want to draw
>bedridden with fever

Fuck.

>keep quiet, it's the Knobbles Gang! If you disrespect their little frog Joe C. they'll make you kneel on legos!
plenty of time then! let your sick little brain go off and draw whatever it wants.

comparing me to a living legend like chris chan, i can only hope to be as big of a deal and meme like him one day

im not even 30 years old yet, i am in my late 20's though

im 20 something years old right now and thats all you need to know. im the same age as rebecca sugar so find out how old she is and you find out how old i am

>plenty of time then! let your sick little brain go off and draw whatever it wants.

I can't really draw. I've got bad muscle aches that make moving painful.

need invite to discord

Goats#6123

oh, then it's brainstorming time. type out your plots and let them go in weird directions

Hell yeah. Thanks, user.

Honestly, ik I'm never supposed to reply to you, but maybe if you shitposted less and worked on your work it would look great. If you would actually polish it up and spend some real hard time on it, I think you could actually have something worthwhile. Looking at this, it doesn't seem half bad honestly, the image that is. (Goth thing)

Try less shitposting and less cranking crap out like the Dewd and focus. You have some clear skills atm, just polish, refine and tune them, if you are serious about what you are doing, or unless your end goal is to shitpost here forever, idk what your end game is.

I just looked up, Rebecca Sugar is 34 you retard, so I was right, you are 34 years old

last time i checked she was 27, wtf?

no, im not 30 years old yet, i thought for sure me and sugar was the same age, wtf?

thanks, i cant get the image to work because its to big, i will look at it tomorrow when im on the real internet

oh damn, image deleted, what was it?

a pair of old people wearing fruit hats and playing elaborately-constructed vegetable-flutes, wearing chile shirts, and trying desperately to look excited

>Rebecca Sugar is 29 years old
born July 9, 1987

i just googled it, she is 2 months older than me, pls no bully anons

woops, 4 months older, i got my months mixed up, i was born in march

I was not expecting everyone to be wrong
especially not the guy who previously claimed same-age but also said she was 27, and now claims same-age as 29

last time i checked her age was 2 years ago when she was 27 and i was like oh fuck we were born in the same year and are the same age, i was blown away at the time

Saffron and Sage, page 15

SaffronComic.com

i was actually 100% correct here is proof that bones is 34 years old

Now that you know how old i am let me ask you a question, fucker.

do you honestly believe me being 29 years old matters at all?

do you think cartoons and comics are made by kids you retarded fuck?

all your favorite cartoons, anime, video games, comic books, movies, tv shows and manga are made by people much much older than me or the same age as me

that is a fucking fact you autistic mongaloid

even autistic webcomics than are bigger than jesus like chris chans sonichu and one punch man was made by people older than me

so why in the hell do you think you have to be young to make it? there has never been a kid, teenageer, or young adult in there early 20's that that has ever made a successful anything

so fuck you for making me expose my age, once again to this shitty thread, the first time i got so much harassment i had to hide my age on deviant art, but fuck that, i dont care this time, im much more knowing about the industry now, if anything i wish i was older so i could already have a successful webcomic and cartoon on tv already

fuck!

is that glowy stuff a poison or is it the fox's natural energy ebbing?

wow funny pasta thanks user :)

um, nice photoshop? but google says shes 29 and born in 87

nice try though faggot

Damn it, Brad Guigar was right, I am bad at explaining things :(

He's *supposed* to be trying to shoot rings back like he did in chapter one, but not being able to do it because of his injuries.

It comes off more as generally "he's fading", which I guess works fine, but I increasingly thing I need to be better about visual clarity.

ah so the 'i got this' is an 'i'll get them'. if the line said something like that I'd have inferred it properly. instead I thought the got-this part was healing his injury, I just didn't know if the lessened glow meant success or failure
i'm sure if i'd been reading it all in a row i'd have remembered his glowy ring power

I see what you did there... you found a person born july 9 1987 and changed all the other information to be about rebecca sugar. I don't understand why someone would dedicate so much time to forge something like this when he is clearly and provably wrong, but good try ;)

Everyone in these threads is around the same age, and around the same autism level.

Why haven't we all just joined forces to make a fucking nick toon none of us are happy with at this point?

I'm 24 and only mildly autistic, don't group me up with these silly boys.

What are good sites to advertise on other than PW?

I'm talking real advertising, not stupid broke-ass-nigga shit like the Miss Melee author's guide.

last time we had this discussion, consensus seemed to be that advertising was on its way out, becoming more futile by the day

Then how the fuck do you find an audience?
Social Media doesn't work if you're not already popular.

Find people on social media that like things your comic is about
Follow them. Participate with them. Tag your stuff well. Do fanart. Mostly networking or hoping you get lucky with a famous artist reblog.

>make fwends xD
Sounds like this thread is just making shit up as an excuse for them being too broke to afford real advertising.

And sure being some never-leave-your-screen no-lifer who injects themselves into as many communities as possible might work for assholes that make three-panel tumblr jokes with bad art, but I've got time to spend making real comics, socializing, and working.
I had hoped people would have a better idea of how to spread your work without being a 16-year-old with time for a dozen forums.

Not gonna make it

abnor.com.br/?lang=en

low kb preview of the first location, you will see the hd version tomorrow in the finished page when im able to upload art thats way over 1mb

what the fuck is a 'three panel tumblr joke'

seeing cool comics like this is inspiring me to get off my butt and write/draw everyday for my own webcomic

nice shitpost m8

>Everyone in these threads is around the same age,
You'd be surprised.

wrong, there's an old man with a lightbox, and some 10 year olds. age range is huge.

Followed.

Hey. new page. I don't think it's bad.

Thanks for proving me right. Maybe if you spent more time on your art or writing instead of projecting your insecurities and being a bitter poorfag you'd have something worth sharing. :^)

>what is owlturd

>Theresa

youtube.com/watch?v=4zOMNmuQj_s

nice and shiny off the photoshop presses. I've got the flow and proportions of things right I think, about to add my dialogue.

Wow, you make your BE fetish really obvious just through your artstyle.

thanks I try

She doesn't spell it with an H my dude

Here comes the part where I actually say what I wanted to say. I really like the colors in this one, if I say so myself.