Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KQEDojPZ7YI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it was a different time

HP > FMJ

Agreed.

>I'm the first kid on my block to get a confirmed kill

The second half has the best lines.

>Why would anyone wanna make a movie about you?

>Because I'm so fuckin' good.

They're incomparable because they're totally different movies

>can't even get the quote right

opinion discarded

fuck outta here op

Private Pyle part 1 > sucky sucky part 2

agreed but I'd rather not get into some shitflinging over it, whole movie is great

what the motherfuck

bullshit. the movie was progressive throughout a drafted soldiers perspective. nothing hinted towards a split movie. you're an idiot and should stop eating up Sup Forums memes.

Can somebody discuss with me the significance of the tone in Full Metal Jacket?

It seems unusual for a Stanley Kubrick film to have such a mix of tones, but FMJ switches from being darkly comedic, to sad, to surreal and eventually to run of the mill war drama. I've always been particularly struck by the last 15 minutes or so. The film is pretty fucked up until that point but the characters dont seem to take anything seriously and thsn the end becomes full on glimpse of madness mode

FMJ is amazing until the last 20 minutes or so, just kind of fizzles out there.

who's the leader of the club that's made for you and me?

I find it hilarious that he only got to fuck her because his dick was tiny by black standards.

Private Pyle!

2nd half
>disjointed
>indistinguishable as a Kubrick movie
>no message besides "war is crazy maaaan" they're singing Mickey Mouse Club LMAO!

Why should we do a story about YOU?!

he didn't get it

I'm pulling this out of my ass but the colour of FMJ was connected to joker's emotions. stay strong bro

Kubrick likes adding a little action to his movies. He might add it for plebs to get their attention or he just wants to see explosions and other shit.

Compared with other Vietnam films it's pretty damn good with it's messaging. Platoon is so preachy and over dramatic it's like a cartoon.

Full Metal Jacket and Hamburger Hill are the two best Vietnam films ever made. I guess i would count Apocalypse Now and John Woo's Bullet in the Head too but they arent strictly about the war

THANK
GOD
FOR
THE
SICKLE
CELL

Apocalypse Now is pretty good but it goes off the deep end eventually.

>calls Platoon a cartoon
>praises Hamburger Hill hilariously cliched characters and situations.

damn you dumb

Kubrick added "action" to his movies because he was a filmmaker obsessed with technical details and execution. The action scenes are there because that is one of the possibilities of cinema. Before computers ruined everything you could judge the quality of a director by things like "long takes" and ornate action set pieces because you couldn't actually pull them off unless you had a skilled, visionary director leading a competent film-making team.

The prostitutes in this movie kickstarted my fetish for brown jungle Asian girls

>FMJ isn't kin-
youtube.com/watch?v=KQEDojPZ7YI

why they didn't get a huey for this film? what the fuck kind of design is that ugly helicopter?

I think it's a Sikorsky

the huey wasn't a troop transporter per se. It became a transporter with ground support capabilities during the war.

Still less obvious than Sergeant Evil Bad Man Mc'Scarface and Private Everyman O'Good Dude

All those scenes filmed in London at Beckton Gas Works

>Apocalypse Now
>adaptation of Heart of Darkness
>"its good but it goes off the deep end towards the end"

I hope this is bait

>Before computers ruined everything
Holy shit, grandpa

>tfw go through Marine Boot Camp being named Lawrence
>every DI and his cousin quoting FMJ and telling me about faggots and sailors
I can attest that they got boot camp perfectly accurate, but sometimes I wonder if modern DIs aren't just imitating the movie and that's why it's so accurate.

>filming a cameraman
always fucking good.

>tfw you will never be too goddamn beaucoup

Stanley Kubrick perfected the lost art of location scouting. He knew exactly when and where to shoot something and make it work

>created 2001 in a basement
>created Vietnam in London
>created the Overlook using 2 different hotels
>created the 18th Century in the Irish countryside

They are the same kind of people who are confused by the last half of FMJ because it stopped being funny but they still laughed when Animal Mother said "gook."

They are gonna be stuck in the exact same situation when they get sent to North Korea. It's all a game with your bros, gonna go kill some famined gooks! Then everyone around you starts dying and the North Koreans are firing chemical gas mortar shells at you and your skin is burning. They're gonna shit their pants.

Stay strong bro

>Hamburger Hill
This film is underrated. The futility of the whole thing is so perfect.
even if
complaint about think characters is accurate.
>cliched situation
But that's how it happened, user.

>Hamburger hill
>literal "muh wife sent me a letter that we are breaking up" scene
>"every one hates the war back home" scene
>black vs whites
>preachy ugly black fellow
>rich good looking goody too shoes Lt.

>Platoon
>3D characters
>Chris starts like an idealist, goes to edgy phase, turns into a monster and then forgives himself
>Sgt. Barnes, isn't just an evil dude, he likes to take care of his men and hates seeing them killed. Takes command of the platoon because he considers the Lt. an incompetent fuck-up. Kills Elias because in his head he is saving the platoon.
>Based black characters, there's some friction but when the shit starts everyone takes care of each other like the real world.
>like Jr. preaches of being religious but then rapes little gook girls.
>camps more realistically divided between the potheads and the alcoholics instead of blacks vs whites

>created the 18th Century in the Irish countryside
this is no merit, Ireland is backwards shithole on its own right

Nigger Barnes was comically evil.

he was not. shut up

>the potheads vs. the alcoholics
The struggle is real

if he was comically evil he would have laughed when the radio kid got burned by fragment from artillery.

If he was comically evil he would not have berated the Lt. for fucking up the arty mission.

if he was comically evil he would have used a flamethrower at some point in the movie.

if he was comically evil he would have raped a gook girl and laughed.

>he thinks Oliver Stone can into subtlety
Have you SEEN Natural Born Killers?

damn, now I have to watch platoon again
thanks user

i never said cosmically evil

>Natural Born Killers

Yes I have and didn't liked it. What does that have to do with Hamburger Hill being a shit vietnam movie and Platoon being 10 times better than said movie?

Barnes did nothing wrong. Elias was a dopehead faggot

The Deer Hunter is better than them all. Too bad Michael Cimino turned out to be a whacked out coke head

And if we are talking about amazing location shooting, Heavens Gate is ace

this just confirms that the mighty bbc legend has existed for centuries

white bois once again btfo

How can you shoot women and children?

Its quite simple, you just don't aim your weapon ahead of them as much, which compensates for that fact that they don't run as quickly as Vietnamese men

>Not Full Metal Alchemist
you had one job

If you cant make the connection that the second half is the culmination of all the themes of the first half, then you are a giga brainlet

The second half is the one with the interviews, so its no contest

>Ireland is backwards shithole on its own right
Too right brother

this

Marines didn't use them. the H-34 had longer range and was used by the navy.
Army used hueys.

>why they didn't get a huey for this film? what the fuck kind of design is that ugly helicopter?

It is a Sikorsky H-34.

>I can attest that they got boot camp perfectly accurate,
Because Ermy wasn't hired to play the drill instructor. He was hired as a consultant to make sure they got it right, and Kubrick was so impressed he just gave him the role, and pretty much just let him adlib most of his lines.

I agree. The bootcamp shit is very fucking depressing. Especially the scene where they beat the shit out of Pyle. When I was in middle school I thought it was funny.

Except if you actually translate what she says it had nothing to do with his dick. She just didn't want to fuck him.

Kek

Oliver Stone served in 'Nam, and I think it shows.

Is this true? Because that would be hilarious. She's just racist, and the pimp has to make up some line about his dick being too big because he doesn't want any trouble.

Pyle is a fucking dickhead though. The rest of the company has to do pushups and shit because hes robbing food

Harry Potter sucks.

>asian
>racist

who would have thunk it

>it goes off the deep end

My nigga are you retarded?

He wasn't cut out for 'Nam, man. Some guys are just soft. Remember there was a draft, it's not like he enlisted.

second half is a shitty war movie

I disagree about FMJ, while most of it is good the battle scenes in the end really stick out as "Definitely Not Vietnam"

Apocalypse Now > First Blood > Full Metal Jacket > The Deer Hunter > Platoon

What a brainlet kek

Eh, it's easier to swallow when you think of it as simply a brief glimpse at the Battle of Hue. Urban warfare made up probably less than 1% of the battles in Vietnam but they still happened.

Plus a lot of the scenes from the helicopter, the body pit, and the first base Joker is stationed at all look like they could be in Vietnam. I always got a sense of where they were at in the film it never took me out of it. The company starts out in the countryside and throughout the second half of the film they move closer and closer to the urban center of Hue.

>the battle scenes in the end really stick out as "Definitely Not Vietnam"
Because you think all of vietnam was jungle patrols.
That's why cowboy has the line about "This is what I thought war was supposed to look like."