/hor/ - horror general

post game edition

alright people, what was the best horror film you watched this october?
what was the worst?
any great surprises?
comfy ones you went back to?
was your overall marathon a success?
are you continuing into november or has the magic gone?
plans for next year?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QF6V5V9FEbY
youtu.be/UZmpEPK-htI
takimag.com/article/last_of_the_hippie_filmmakers_joebob_briggs/print#axzz4xG71aiQs
youtube.com/watch?v=A64voICE6vY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>best
A dragonfly for each corpse

>worst
The mummy, 1959

>comfiest
Silver Bullet

>surprises
Expected the Mummy to be good and comfy. It was lame.

>success
Could have gotten a few more in there

>continuing
I watch horror year around.

Best: The Wailing

Worst: Noroi - The Curse

Surprises: people actually recommeded Noroi as if it was good

Comfy: Is a stupid word used by childbrains

Marathon: meh

November: Still have more to watch

Next year: none

I mentioned in the Turner Classic Movies thread that it would be the best thing ever if they got Joe Bob Briggs to host TCM Underground. I wish they would at least make it more than just 2 movies. All night with Underground would kick ass.

why doesn't briggs do this shit anymore? is he really that busy?

Been watching these clips recently.

Im guessing people used to tune in just to watch him back in the day.

The same AOL Time Warner executive assholes who killed WCW also fired Joe Bob because they thought it was too lowbrow. He's on Twitter and it seems like he'd be open to doing another show if he had the opportunity.

>what was the best horror film you watched this october?
I really enjoyed TCM (1974), The Invisible Man (1933) and The Thing (1982)
>what was the worst?
I didn't care too much for The Blair Witch Project (1999) or An American Werewolf in London
>any great surprises?
Frankenhooker was surprisingly entertaining
>comfy ones you went back to?
The Thing was the only film I watched this month that I had seen before, and it doesn't stay comfy for long
>was your overall marathon a success?
Definitely, for whatever reason until now I had only seen a couple of the iconic horror films so set out to fix that this october
>are you continuing into november or has the magic gone?
I'm trying to continue watching a film every night so I may watch some more horror every now and then. I still want to watch Friday 13th parts 2-5, Halloween 3, Phantasm and Re-Animator so I can probably fit those in with the 100 other films I need to watch
>plans for next year?
Next year I want to delve into some more obsure horror B-movies and maybe the Hammer horror series

Which monster had the best taste in women?

I tried to watch a movie everyday but failed spectacularly. I think I watched a total of maybe 5 movies and I didn't even watch one on Halloween. Whoops.

I can't stand painted on eyebrows, so I'll go with Gillman's girl. She kinda looks like Jennifer Connelly in that pic.

he should try and work something out with Netflix
at least that way people around the world can see him
but I'd imagine TV would still be the only way to have these movie marathons work
Netflix would probably be pissy about films they already have on their service being watched under a different show

The problem with Netflix is that they don't have any decent horror movies licensed.

well part of the fun I imagine would be watching them with Joe Bob and see him tear them a new one in the "ad breaks"

good choice

Don't stop at F13 Part V. A lot of people like Part VI the most (my personal favorite is Part IV).

And definitely watch Phantasm. It's mind blowingly awesome. Skip the shitty sequels.

i like phantasm 2 for sheer spectacle despite the fact the studio made them recast the mc

>alright people, what was the best horror film you watched this october?
Blood and Roses
>what was the worst?
The Living Dead Girl
>any great surprises?
Blood and Roses for being an incredibly beautiful and tragic vampire story. also Taste the Blood of Dracula for its excellent first act.
Gremlins for the first time since I was a kid. Before last week, I had only ever watched it on VHS.
sure
yeah, i'm watching Black Sunday tonight. horror comes and goes for me but i'm still in the mood
>plans for next year?
nothing special

I'm conflicted on Phantasm 2. There's some cool stuff, but it pales in comparison to the first movie.

Does anybody know why Don't Coscarelli didn't get more opportunities? Phantasm was a huge hit and Beastmaster made a good profit. After that he fell off the map and has been stuck in low budget horror hell ever since.

*Don

LEP IN DA WOOD
COME TO DO NO GOOD

Still waiting on Chucky vs Leprechaun, but only if Warwick Davis returns.

>cucky
>not wishmaster

youtu.be/QF6V5V9FEbY

GOAT

is there such thing as horror anime? seems like it'd be a good medium for far-out body horror but I don't really know shit about anime in general.

that junji ito guy does horror manga that's bretty gud

Someone posted this horror anime chart nights ago, you might want to start there.

I can vouch for Amon, Akira, Perfect Blue and Paprika for the body horror. Never watched the rest.

oh cool. thanks. I've actually seen Perfect Blue and liked it, but other than GITS 1 and 2, it's the only anime film I can recall seeing.

I came across Shintaro Kago a few days ago which led me of Ito's stuff and got me wondering about actual animated horror.

there's this series airing right now

He's getting a new animated series early next year, iirc.
Both short stories and long-running works are being adapted, by the looks of the concept visual.

I've never seen Wishmaster. Is it worth a go?

sure. the sequels are pretty much the same quality. i like the 4th one because to free himself he has to make his thicc neighbor fall in love with him for some reason and the second one is kind of funny because he's stuck in prison for the forst half of it and he can't use his powers to escape because no one will make a wish

i wanted to check out some of the tomie movies but there's like 13 of them and they look cheap as fuck

this guy doesn't like getting COMFY

>best
L'inferno
>worst
Cube zero
>surprise
House With Laughing Windows
>comfy
Just Before Dawn or Russian Hound of the Baskerville.
>success
Over 1 a day, but there were a lot I didn't find copies of in time and missed.
>continue
Next month is all mysteries.

what are some horror films that have aged better and worse than you remember?

barring the nu metal soundtrack this one aged surprisingly well
very little digital blood and wonderful use of color
the freddypillar is still terrible but that jason kill on freeburg more than makes up for it
say what you will about the film's writing and acting (I unironically love this film) it's a technically great looking film

why the fuck does Ronny Yu barely make films anymore?

Joe Bob writes for Takimag now trolling the fuck out of it's readers. Comments are full every week with people calling him Blow Job Briggs and making sure everyone knows his real name is (((John Bloom))).

I can picture him and David Cole making bets on who can get the most angry comments every week.

rewatched this on halloween
really took the cinematography for granted
it still looks amazing

>best
depending on your definition, A Cure for Wellness or Aliens
>what was the worst?
Rob Zombie's Halloween 2. What a snorefest. I hope the rest of the halloweens aren't so fucking terrible and annoying.
>any great surprises?
The Ring was better than I remember
I was trying to watch The Witch but never got around to it

Invisible Man. Crazy high death count. Why isn't he the premier Universal Monster?

I watched the Ring for the first time on Halloween. I’d always heard it was terrifying, but it wasn’t really. That said, I thought it was great. A really interesting, spooky mystery. I’m gonna try to watch the original, too.

A bunch that I watched turned out to be disappointing. Creep was a waste of time. The Amityville Horror was like a less ambitious, less satisfying version of the Shining. Two hours for no payoff.

Trick R Treat is the comfiest Halloween movie. And though it’s not horror, I also watched Clue on a rainy night. Incredibly comfy.

I might watch some more through November.

Was always really attracted to the bride. No idea why

My guide to the Halloween franchise:
>Watch
Halloween
Halloween III
Halloween III
Halloween 4
Halloween H20
>Skip
Halloween 5
Halloween 6 (both versions suck, the producers cut being good is a meme)
Halloween Resurrection
Rob Zombie's Halloween and its sequel

First two.

*Halloween II (accidentally put Halloween III on there twice)

gorgeous looking film

And a fine example that even the cheapest 16mm film looks better than digital.

I think that's why all horror movies today look like shit. They're all shot digitally with untalented cinematographers. Film grain is majestic.

it really has gotten better with age

there's gotta be some horror director nutjubs out there still willing to shoot on 16mm
people like Ti West a few years back
is there a imdb list or something of recent horrors that were shot on film?
even if they're terrible I'd certainly give em a shot

While I never watched the movie, Dracula's girl looks like a cutie.

Watched The Blair Witch Project and then Blair With for the first time, what does /hor/ think of these two? I liked the original but I found the sequel to be way too generic.

Sadly horror filmmakers have abandoned 16mm despite the unique aesthetic it provides. It's also surprisingly inexpensive to work with.

I haven't seen it yet, but Mother was shot on 16mm. Aronofsky also used it on Pi and Black Swan.

Oh man...

I remember this scene from some "horror movie" that scared me as fuck when I watched it as a (very young) kid, where some guy is devoured by a huge colony of ants or something similar.

I've been thinking about that scene for years, and after a little googling, it turns out that it was from...MacGyver.

youtu.be/UZmpEPK-htI

Anyone seen Black Devil Doll? Fun slasher, funny as fuck (when drunk, anyway), and great tits throughout. For what it is, it's 8/10.

Rank Cronenkino

1. The Dead Zone
2. The Fly
3. A History of Violence/Eastern Promises
4. Dead Ringers
5. Pic related

Dead fucking last: Videodrome

I think Rob Zombie shot Halloween 2 on 16mm

it's confusing which films he shoots on film or not
The Devil's Rejects was definitely shot on 16mm, Lords of Salem looks like it could be super16mm or 32mm but some sources say it was shot on a RedOne so who knows

not like his films really use mise-en-scene to really make the colors pop on film anyway

>best
The Thing is objectively the best, but if you're talking about something I had never seen before then Baskin.
>worst
There was some kind of Hallowen anthology on Amazon I think that was terrible. It had child actors and some segments appeared to be geared towards a younger audience, but then in the next scene the teens would be like, "FUCK SHIT PISS COCK ASS." So the tone was all over the place on top of being poor as a film.
>comfiest
Halloween
>surprises
Phantasm Ravager... it was awful. Expected more from Mr. Coscarelli and Reg. Been thinking about giving it a second go and see if it requires another viewing but I am not hopeful.
>success
Yeah, I think I got everything in that I really wanted. Left a couple staples out but that leaves the rotation fresh for next year.
>continuing
Nah. At this point I have seen just about everything and I find that saving it for October keeps things from going stale as well as allowing me to add what's new that year to my list.
>plans
Probably watch more Universal and Hammer next year. Since we had F13th I marathoned that and didn't get to Freddy, so next year will do some Nightmare on Elm Street.

He wrote a great eulogy for Tobe after he died. I wonder if it would change anyone's perception of TCM if they'd gone with the original title 'Head Cheese'.

takimag.com/article/last_of_the_hippie_filmmakers_joebob_briggs/print#axzz4xG71aiQs

How was Baskin? I've heard it compared favorably to Hellbound which is an all-time favorite of mine.

It's good. I found that the character building in the beginning was tough to relate to because they're Turks, and I mean that in no derogatory way. But once you get in to the action and horror it's worth it. If you like it the first time I would recommend a second viewing because you'll be looking for clues and things that you missed which help explain the first go around.

>Best
Videodrome

>Worst
It Follows, not that it was horrible...

>Surprise
I was impressed with Neon Demon

>Comfy Return
The Thing (1982)

>Success
Definitely, avoided any outright stinkers, lots of beautiful horror films out there.

>Continuing
Yes, I've rediscovered my love for horror and am about to check out Phenomena by Argento (I love Suspiria and Profondo Rosso)

>Plans
hopefully still be riding the horror train from this year

>Yes, I've rediscovered my love for horror
I know that feel dude
I had given up on filmmaking during film school a few years ago but was still an avid watcher of movies

this month of non-stop horror and this /hor/ general have really rekindled my passion for film
shit like this makes me wanna start shooting again and just have fun with it

funnily enough I watched Phenomena this month too, I really enjoyed it
don't want to hype it up or anything but it might be my fav Argento

>>best
>Halloween ofc, but out of all the ones I watched the first time probably Return of the Living Dead. Can't believe it took me so long to get around to it.
>>worst
>Some low-budget shitflick called "Skeletons in the Closet" with Treat Williams. Not even really horror, and really terrible.

>surprises
Finally watched The Howling, considered classic but I found it dull. 1976 King Kong remake, not strictly horror but a monster movie, was actually pretty good.

>comfy
Will definitely watch Child's Play again, first time seeing it and thought it lived up to the hype. Tarantula was a super comfy older movie, and I quite liked the new IT.

>success
fuck yeah the good far outweighed the bad

>continuing
I actually am cause I'm on a horror kick now, but I'm looking forward to getting back into other stuff. I put any non-horror movies and shows on hold for October so I got some catching up to do.

>next year
Don't know yet, always try to keep the roster fresh but sprinkle in a few familiar ones. Didn't actually watch a horror movie every day this year, but it's the closest I'v gotten so far, so I may just pull it off next year.

>post game edition
>
>alright people, what was the best horror film you watched this october?
The Resurrected

>what was the worst?
Nothing was particularly bad to me so if I picked a "last place" at the very least then probably Noroi or Zombie.

>any great surprises?
Demons. Absolute kino at one point. Anyone who has seen it knows when.

No comfy ones but I rewatched Life Force and marveled at how batshit I forgot it is.

Sure. I did not watch everything I intended but that only means that I have stuff to look forward to.

Gotta give at least a month. The magic needs concentration through being treated special.

>plans for next year?
I planned to rewatch From Beyond (haven't seen it since VHS) for one. I have a friend who likes to make the occasional Hellraiser reference in spite of not seeing any of them so that's another.

He could go the Rifftrax route and produce his own audio commentaries. He would do things his way, not literally ape Rifftrax. Talk about facts behind the movie, his personal opinions, his experiences with watching the movie, throw out the odd snarky comment, just be an interesting guy you hang out with over movies. Sometimes (maybe all the time) have guests on to watch the movies with him and discuss it with him. People that can be either involved with the movie (and therefore informative) or just have good chemistry with him.

I already wish this was a thing.

You saw Phantasm 3? That was "studio Phantasm." He seems to be an independent spirit. Probably disliked working for Hollywood.

I'm glad it went that way for him. He can make the movies he wants to make and how he wants to make them. Rather watch a labor of love than some soulless Hollywood ebola suppository. After all, the studio forced him to recast Mike in P2.

Film > Digital, VHS is more comfy than any format since, and 480p is comfy central resolution. I remember the analog/vinyl vs digital and used to write it off but now I'm starting to realize that imperfection has its charms. I just wish I knew why.

>Dead fucking last: Videodrome
Wew lad.

1. Videodrome
2. Dead Ringers
3. Crash
4. The Brood
5. eXistenZ
6. The Fly
7. Eastern Promises
8. A History of Violence
9. Naked Lunch
10. Scanners
11. The Dead Zone
12. Rabid
13. Shivers
14. Spider
15. M. Butterfly
16. A Dangerous Method

Haven't seen his other stuff. 1 through 13 are damn near perfect movies. I think Crash is his most underrated work.

Because she's qt as fuck

I dunno, some of these old 70s and 80s classics look fantastic on Blu Ray, depends on who's doing the restoration of course

Boring as fuck and drops off at the end

Bride is best girl no contest

Too bad she got fat and bearded for Charles Laughton for decades. Her character was adorable in The Big Clock.

I knew Joe Bob Briggs was a fraud when he talked shit about Halloween 3: season of the witch.

Absolute hack fraud normie bitchboy redneck
>DUDE WHERES MIKE MAYERS MANSTER
You mean like the 50 factory workers that are basically mike myers 2.0?

FUCK YOU JOE BOB YOU PIECE OF SHIT

I wonder if he's the one who started the Halloween III is bad meme. I've always loved it since I was a kid and I'm glad people finally get it.

He probably helped propagate it for sure amongst people that hadnt seen it yet

I watched Night of the Living Dead, Suspiria, Videodrome, The Witch, The Babadook for the first time this October. All pretty good. None are going on my top 10 horror movies of all time list but still good. watched the new Tom Cruise Mummy movie, it's kind of fun but just a pretty mediocre cation movie really. also watched They Live for the first time if you want to call it a horror movie, that movie is fucking awesome.

Elfen Lied
Just watch it, don't read about it.

wolfman for sure

alright people, what was the best horror film you watched this october?
>L' uccello dalle piume di cristallo [The Bird With the Crystal Plumage]

what was the worst?
>Halloween: Resurrection (2002)

any great surprises?
>Baskin

comfy ones you went back to?
>An American Werewolf in London

was your overall marathon a success?
>absolutely: 19 flicks

are you continuing into november or has the magic gone?
>must continue on..maybe not at the same pace

>Joe Bob's Hollywood Saturday Night
>Give Joe Bob an endless supply of bowling shirts and movies like Joe's Apartment to watch

What a brilliant idea that was
Honey best mail girl

youtube.com/watch?v=A64voICE6vY

Can we take a moment to appreciate Dr. Dan Challis from Halloween III?
>is a medical doctor, the most noble of professions
>has a bitchin' stache
>hobbies include pounding brewskies and slaying puss half his age
>almost single handedly brought down the most evil plot in the history of mankind
What a Chad. A god amongst manchildren.

I've really liked them...in that 90's hyper practical gore way

What I want to know is...
For how long was the brunette side-kick a robot? Like it had to have been forever because she's only out of his sight for a few hours.

How the fuck would they create a copy of her so fast, ALSO does that mean she was still inside the building somewhere and atkins diet left her behind?

I
II
H20

A decent slasher trilogy. Skip everything else.

You're over thinking it, my man. Just let the glory of Atkins flow over you.

>best
Carnival of Souls. It was great. Reminded me of Silent Hill and a little bit of Spirited Away. Great cinematography and score.
>worst
The Monster (1925) it was mostly just boring and confusing.
>comfiest
Tie between Re-Animator and House (1977). I also binge watched iZombie, Over the Garden Wall and Stranger Things which were pretty comfy too
>surprises
From Hell, Eyes Without a Face and Curse of the Cat People (surprised there wasn't one fucking cat person)
>success
I didn't actually get to watch that many movies. Watched more TV than anything. So kind of a failure
>continuing
I have a ton of stuff I DVR'd that I haven't got around to. Pretty much every horror movie TCM aired and a bunch of stuff I downloaded. Going to try and watch all of that.

didn't like Ravager at first either. has gotten better each viewing. Seen 3 times now, would put it at 3rd best now.

Can we take a moment to appreciate Conal Cochran from Halloween III?
>is king of practical jokes
>has a robot army of harvey keitels
>hates children
>commits mass infanticide and becomes moon man
Greatest villain in the history of kino

Fucking LOVED the Lovecraftian first half.

Was completely ambivalent to the Hills Have Eyes 2nd half

But Halloween 4 is ultra comfy and has great Halloween-y atmosphere. It also has that kickass kill where that dude driving the pickup truck got his throat ripped out.

Seriously, Bird With Crystal Plummage

Am I a pleb for thinking the first Hellraiser film is boring as fuck? The effects are nice, but aside from Frank none of the characters are at all interesting.

Watched Society and thought it was pretty great, even if it just sorta ended all of a sudden.

The Hills Have Eyes is one of the few instances where I prefer the remake. It's way more suspenseful, brutal and has Based Buffalo Bill.

Sean Chapman gave a PHENOMENAL performance as Frank Cotton. I wonder he was never in anything else notable. They should have made Frank the main villain of the franchise.

Hellraiser has god-tier effects but yeah the story is boring and I hate the daughter
Andrew Robinson is the best thing about it

*wonder why