Image Week 2 Storytime: The Maxx

25 years ago a bunch of Marvel artists left the Big Two and decided to form their company, with blackjack and hookers. This company would eventually become the closest to a third competitor for DC and Marvel (lol) and the best known creator-owned comic book company out there.

This week it's time to put the spotlight on the "second wave" series, those books that weren't created by the founders but still managed to be an important part of the company's history.

First up is the story that went against all expectations, Sam Kieth's The Maxx

It's been fifteen years since I first came across Maxx and I STILL have no clue what the fuck is up with his face.

I think it's meant to be a cartoony kind of design. But yeah, I don't know either.

>using the fuck you finger as weapon

>dat ass

Fun fact: Sam Kieth's cousin is David Feiss, creator of "Cow and Chicken".

I remember seeing some article about Maxx's face mask and why it's so weird looking. From what I remember it was suppose to be a mask that would fit on a horse's face.

Did not know that

I held off on reading it when my friend lent me a volume because his face looked so goofy.

Will be interested to see what you pick for this week. What time period is it covering? All the way to Chew?

All the way to Invincible/TWD, but pretty much just mid 90's-late 90's stuff.

Anyway, if you want to spoil yourself, this is what I'll be storytiming this week:
The Maxx
Pitt
Hellshock
Astro City
Witchblade
Battle Chasers
Tellos

Cool, a good mix of forgotten good stuff and big series.

It's funny how some of the forgotten stuff there was actually pretty big at the time, but for some reason ended up becoming obscure.

I think the thing with Image is that they became super uncool in the 00s so everyone just pushed all their 90s comics out of their mind. Unless it's still published today or got a revival in the 2010s (so, only the stuff by the founders) it got forgotten.

Yeah true, which is why I decided to add another week from before 2012. There's a lot of good pre-Saga stuff that ended up forgotten.

Alright, I don't know what's going on with my internet right now

He's actually a insane hobo in purple spandex wearing a lampshade on his head as his "mask"

There's a whole arc post-Mr-Gone where he "depowers" and is kind of just openly walking around as non-90's non-zany Max, and he's just... grubby. It's honestly pretty brilliant. The implication is that the gritty 90's look exists only in his head.

is that a... Butthole Surfers shirt?
This is fckn great

Nice thread OP, I was actually thinking of storytiming the Maxx but I never did 'cause I'm a lazy piece of shit.
Are these the Maxximized recolours? They look a bit different from what I'm used to.

These are (very good) scans of the Image originals. I considered running the Maxximized stuff but I want the Image logo.

She has 2 left feet