What's your movie of the year? It's November, you should have one

What's your movie of the year? It's November, you should have one.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6_SdCPLOkP4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Voyage of Time

Mother

The Young Pope. I don't care that it's not a movie, and I don't care that it technically premiered last year. It's the only thing worth talking about.

Good Time and The Lost City of Z were pretty good (Robert Pattinson is having a great year) but I can't really say I fell in love with either of them. But I honestly haven't seen a ton of films this year, maybe I'm missing something great

Vice Principals S2

You are
Also you're gay

Sorrentino is fucking overrated here. The show was good but "the only thing worth talking about" is an absurd thing to say.

Like what, what's your favorite?

Blade Runnah

Seconding Lost City. Only movie I left the theater satisfied with.

Song to Song
Blade Runner
The Meyerowitz Stories

Overrated might be right, but it's the first time in years I've seen something that was full-on great.

personal shopper

probably BR2049, but i dont know

>it's the first time in years I've seen something that was full-on great.
Why? It isn't particularly unique compared to HBO's other miniseries.

>Meandering nonplot
>Hipster babble
>SlutRoon and CuckGoose
>At least 45 minutes too long
>More fashion models with speaking roles than actual actors

Fuck off and stop supporting this kind of lazy ephemeral style of film making

BR2049

You dont sound nearly as clever as you think.

True kino

The film was authentic and it scared you.

For Mercy has a human heart,
Pity a human face,
And Love, the human form divine,
And Peace, the human dress.

You probably thought the film itself was clever. It represents eveything wrong with young adults in today's society

There was nothing authentic about it other than the brief cameos of musicians at the music festival. Its so shallow you couldn't evem call it a character study. If it came out 10 years ago it would be called mumblecore

There's something wrong in rejecting the modern musicians' lifestyle of promiscuity, infidelity and drugs to be with the one you love?

>It represents eveything wrong with young adults in today's society
That's the point you dink. You think it glorified their lifestyle? The moral was sex without love or respect led to ruin.

>Its so shallow you couldn't evem call it a character study.
Demonstrably false, the four characters were so well-thought out, the actors clearly were using Stanislovky technques of transferring and substituting their own experiences for the characters. It was very human, acting at its finest.

mother!

Plebs just don't understand.

>couldn't evem call it a character study.
Holy shit you sound naive. Was there also not enough character development? Learn to cinema.

The better part of the film is just wank over materialism, vapid sex, and cliquedom, and the director doesn't even try to go for an exploitative angle with it. Just a bunch of cucked out limp wrists on coke. Listening to them talk was grating on my ears.

I think yall are giving it way too much credit and doing more work in your interpretation than the the director put into shooting. Probably waifufags to boot.

>and the director doesn't even try to go for an exploitative angle with it.
Did you miss Natalie Portman's entire arc?

>hating what you don't understand
Why are Americans always so scared of something authentic and meaningful? They actively violently reject anything that's not face value.

mother! was good, i wouldnt say great, but yeah some real brainlets probably thought it was retarded. a guy with a philosophy degree that i know didnt pick up any of the biblical shit, and just said it was about how dedication to art can destroy your relationships or something.

No, you truly did not get it. Not being facetious. You're ignorant to Malick, how he operates, what he truly says, poor showing today user. Learn before you espouse.

>I think yall are giving it way too much credit and doing more work in your interpretation than the the director put into shooting.
Yeah I can pull things out of my ass too and it doesn't make it true. Implying Malick doesn't put any effort into building a narrative out of his ideas and images is fucking retarded.

This shit is the definition of face value! Do you seriously have some headcannon symbolism attached to it?

>Listening to them talk was grating on my ears.
Wow, almost as if...you weren't supposed to like them.

It was- the biblical stuff was just surface level, window dressing. About the soul sucking, self centered artist.

Its not my first foray with Malick, I think he had an idea in mind going into it and wanted to make a defined statement, but failed in execution and especially relied too much on nonactors and improvisation for an "authentic" feel that to me just ended up feeling hammy.

Which is fine and dandy if there are other redeeming values or if those characters are cogs to a grander purpose, which I personally did not find to be the case. You could just as easily walk around Portland with a handheld camera for a week and piece together a film of equal value.

I thought it was, I think single-director series like this are a huge step forward for television in general. The quality of filmmaking here was on par with the best movies I've ever seen, there wasn't a single shot out of place in the whole series. It makes shows like The Sopranos or The Wire look cheap and lazy in comparison.

And in terms of the actual substance of the show, it just really connected with me on a personal level that I haven't gotten from a new movie or show in a long time. It was genuinely inspiring and uplifting by the end. I thought I'd just gotten cynical about movies and films in general until I saw this, it really drove home that the last few years have been lackluster.

Fair enough, I missed Voyage of Time and plan to see it soon. It was in and out of theaters in like a week

>It makes shows like The Sopranos or The Wire look cheap and lazy in comparison.
kill yourself.

>it's bad because you could just as easily do this other thing that's not the same
What is this kind of criticism called?

I think you misunderstand what I meant. The guy I am talking about just completely missed the biblical dressings. It is obviously about art and destruction, but not in the way that he meant.

>It was in and out of theaters in like a week
The theatrical version was never released, that was the shorter IMAX version.

Probably Blade Runner.

I love The Sopranos, but on technical quality alone there's no comparison at all. It's a great show but it's shot like a TV show. The Young Pope is like a 10-hour film

>but on technical quality alone there's no comparison at all
there is and The Sopranos obliterates it. The evolution of the lighting and shadows as the characters become pulled further down into the underworld is something that could only be done right by people with a vision. The writing, acting, and photographing came together every new episode and got better until the very end. The Young Pope? It will be forgotten in two years, guaranteed. It was an amusement, it treated its characters with dignity, it had a powerful message, and that is it. I can watch The Night Of and get the same effect.

Oh you wanna talk about 10-hour films?

Only movie I've seen from this year was babby driver

Still on my list

>I can watch The Night Of and get the same effect.
Bullshit. If you prefer The Sopranos that's respectable, but now you're just hyperbolizing.

dunkirk
nothing comes close

Good Time

get this jew shit outta here

Greetings brainlet. Malick's thoughts are wordless. Your words are thoughtless.

I'm torn between Blade Runnah and Voyage of Time (Cate Blanchett version obviously).

>>The Meyerowitz Stories
shit, I adored Song to Song and Blade Runner. Have to see the shekel goyim stories now

Was Ex Machina this year?

Was Metropolis this year?

Good Time
Raw
The Beguiled

Sword Sprinter 1038

Are there any good Japanese o Korean movies this year?

wanted to kill myself WAY before natalie portman did in this shitcluster

brigsby bear was absolute kino

typ is overrated trash here, i bet that's becuz there are bunch of spics here who are shilling their stupid christcuck religion

Best answer.

wind river, sadly

Blade Runner , then Dunkirk as a close second.

One of the best indie releases this year no one will see.

Blade Runner 2049
Baby Driver

Logan

2049 was a beautiful movie that I hope to see in the cinemas before it closes.

Babydriver, one of the only other films I went to actually see in cinemas, was a steaming pile of hot garbage. The soundtrack was good, but the rest of it was truly awful.

Want to see. Cheers.

>another movie about vapid sex so that liberals can feel good about not being fullon 24/7 sluts

very original bourgeois movie indeed

Ghost in the Shell

yeah, fuck you

Brade Runner

YFW EARLY 2000S LYNCHIAN THEMED GLITCH IDM ALBUM
youtube.com/watch?v=6_SdCPLOkP4

SONG TO SONG IS A SHITTY VERSION OF GUADAGNINOS A BIGGER SPLASH FROM 2015 WHICH IS A REMAKE OF A 1960S ALAIN DELON MOVIE BUT WITH A MUSICIAN SET

2049 was my favorite movie too OP!

Bruv that was two years ago.

Best films I've seen this year are
A Ghost Story
BR 2049
Good Time
The Beguiled
Blade Runner 2049 is probably my MOTY but Twin Peaks was the best thing I watched.

Obviously Blade Runner

Kek
My negro with The Beguiled. Not a lot of people here like it or have even heard of it.

>2049 was a beautiful movie that I hope to see in the cinemas before it closes.
You better hurry, you may already be out of time. It was fucking awesome in iMAX

>The Beguiled
HERES THE BETTER COLIN FARRELL MOVIE OF 2017

SOFIA COPPOLA IS A ONE TRICK PONY

>SOFIA COPPOLA IS A ONE TRICK PONY
She really is but I just happen to like that pony

Blade Runner top movie.

Hostiles second.

Still waiting on Killing of a Sacred Deer and 3 Billboards.

A Ghost Story :)

>The better part of the film is just wank over materialism, vapid sex, and cliquedom

This has to be a bait, he showed all that stuff, sure, to give a context as to how meaningless it is and to discover genuine values by experiencing shitty ones. I mean of the three "bad" characters one commits suicide, one cries and tells to her father "where did it all go wrong?" and one is insane in his misery.

Trainspotting 2

Runner up: Dunkirk

>The Beguiled
It felt like I was watching a stage play, it was good though

2017 has been a bad year for movies

Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
Good Time

So far? Probably Dunkirk.
Some Oscar-baity film might catch me at the end, though.

For now Silence (2017 release in my country) and Wind River.

Justice League

>The Beguiled

It's a remake of a known Eastwood film so I'm presuming people were familiar with it before the remake

>A BIGGER SPLASH
shitty taste

HAHA you fucking pathetic losers, you just have to love everything that is actually bad. >MUH PEOPLE JUST DON'T GET IT, BUT I GET IT ;-)

Somebody tell me what's so good about Song to Song?

>no one can possibly like this! it must be pretend! I am too smart to see through those tricks
Ok, let me humor you: It's a movie that elegantly displays its themes without outright shouting them in your face. Excelent performances from all involved (I think Fassbender gives the performance of his career), beautiful photography is a given, one of the most eclectic and brilliant soundtracks, heartbreaking drama, a journey to hell and then heaven.

I havent even seen it but your so clearly an insecure pleb whos lashing out because you mad you dont get it
I dont get why these closeminded anti-art people who use terms like 'artsy fartsy' or pretentious to describe any non-massproduced is even on a board for films