Image Week 2 Storytime: Hellshock

25 years ago a bunch of Marvel artists left the Big Two and decided to form their company, with blackjack and hookers. This company would eventually become the closest to a third competitor for DC and Marvel (lol) and the best known creator-owned comic book company out there.

This week it's time to put the spotlight on the "second wave" series, those books that weren't created by the founders but still managed to be an important part of the company's history.

Next up is a forgotten hit from the 90's, Jae Lee's Hellshock

The Maxx:
Pitt:

Anybody reading?

Guess not.

Damn, Jae Lee's work used to look like this? What the fuck happened?

>anybody reading
Sup'.
Never heard of this book before. Jae Lee's 90 art is something I have a weird soft spot for. Is work on Namor was so over the top, but intriguing at the same time. This feels the same.

What do you mean?

Namor was more generic 90's, this and Inhumans are a bit more middle of the road.

I am actually, I never saw this work before and wow his style changed so much. Like I can see the evolution but I forgot how much changed happened. I still have his old x-factor issues.

Yeah, Jae Lee is one of the artists with the craziest art evolutions of all time

Oh god some really bad lettering on the last panel. That one bubble has all the letter squished.

Thank god it wasn't just me

>Namor was more generic 90's
I don't think I agree entirely, it was very moody and eerie (especially some underwater shots) in a way other 90 artists aren't, but maybe I just haven't read enough 90s books.

Oh I meant more generic 90's compared to his other work, I agree that he used shadows and such more effectively than other artists at the time

I've been looking into doing lettering as a hobby. Yeah that stood out to me like a sore thumb.

That's all for Hellshock. More early Image tomorrow!

bump