How do you make horror elements in comics work?

How do you make horror elements in comics work?

Other urls found in this thread:

scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-093
behance.net/gallery/32658881/Art-for-SCP-Foundation-calendar-2016
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Swamp thing

im super fucking scared right now of that thing on the left

Pretty sure it's SCP fanart.
scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-093

Japan knows

Read Black Hole.

DRR...DRR...DRR...

Read junji Ito.

He uses realistic anatomy and then digfigures some of the character in a way that makes your skin crawl because of the realism.

The other would be to build tension, and then scare the audience with aome really horrorfying images

Good art is a must. It annoys the shit out of me when I read a horror comic and the art is complete trash (see Avatar comics).

That shit just kept getting deeper.

By doing whatever Junji Ito does...?

This was super cool.

atmosphere and mood certainly are major elements.

Kill yourselves, weaboo trash

But without the weebs the board wouldn't be real anymore

>horror comic
>generic artstyle you use for superhero comics
>boring story with no real hook, just generically spooky
>lots of really bland uses of gore that aren't effective at all and ruin the moment
>zero sense of dread whatsoever, zero suspense, things just happen from moment to moment
>shitty twist ending
>bonus points: it's a pun

I'm sorry you get mad at people who enjoy media from foreign countries. You'll learn to deal with it when you're older I'm certain.

I tried a Horror thread on here a few days ago asking what the top tier of the genre was and no one answered. Do all horror comics (other than Moore's Swamp Thing) suck?

Yeah, pretty much.
Most writers only have a sense of horror within the grasp of film, so they don't really know what works in comics.

You have Bendis write it

You can't have jump scares in comics, so that takes out 90% of the average horror writer's arsenal

Horror novels work because your imagination fills in the imagery, comic book art doesn't have the same effect

Hue

I really like Harrow County by Cullen Bunn and Tyler Crook from Dark Horse

Tension and atmosphere is pretty fucking hard to do in comics.

Make all of them like this

Is this loss?

Idk, this isn't really that scary

>comic book art doesn't have the same effect

unless the art explicitly tries to convey disorientation and intensity. That way the viewer cant quite tell what they're looking at, and that creates aprehension and with the right story, fear and big frightens.

Pic related is an absolutely shitty edgy movie but the visuals are phenomenal in this regard.

The thing is that horror comics dont embrace surrealism as much as they probably should.

I don't think comics can be scary

Very strong art that can help make very uncomfortable or tense imagery.

Comics are not a good medium for horror honestly, in fact I'd argue horror is just about the worst genre for a comic book because of how difficult it is to make a format like that scary. Imagery is everything, absolutely fucking everything, in a horror comic.

>words can be scary
>pictures can be scary
>words and pictures cant be scary

can someone post that comic about the lady searching for her kid or something?
the one that moves when you move

Can I bash in your skull? I'm willing to bet that isn't where you keep your brain.

That really depends on your definition of scary.

If you mean heart racing looking over your shoulder scary I agree, but you can make a comic fairly unsettling.

It's more of an existential dread.

Still better than most I've seen.

I like Wytches for it's take on witches. Primarily the fact that they have nothing to do with magic.

West is really bad at picturing impassive, flaccid or simply disturbing, understated imagery (with accent on simplicity). Junji Ito for example thrives when presenting relatively crude images in masterful succession.

Actually Corben isn't that far away even though his tone is a bit more diluted due to his amazing drawing talent.

Grossout =/= scary

Then what is scary?

093 is probably my favorite SCP. Reading everything until the end, that last Agent report. What came to Earth that was so great and terrible to do that? And if there are more of the 093 disks, will it come to ours?

I mean, if I were a younger me I'd be scared. Present me just thinks this is funny.

Real life.

>his tone is a bit more diluted
Corben's sense of horror is really rooted in looming dread like Poe or Lovecraft. Like Rat God is never scary, it's just horrifying

Harrow County is pretty good and House of Penance was an enjoyable read. Dunno about any other ongoings.

Has Chilling Adventures of Sabrina started back up? I was really entertained by that series.

I'm working on and off on a horror comic that I'd like to get done by Halloween. Just something in between my other projects.

This was just a rough sketch of a throwaway monster I was thinking of adding. So I gotta ask, would this sorta art be scary in a horror comic?

Written horror is often scary because of lack of imagery. As soon as you see the monster, it's not as scary as what ever your own mind made up.
Images are often scary because of lack of context. What exactly am I seeing in the picture? Why was it taken? As soon as you hear the story, it's not as scary as what ever your own mind made up.
Comics gives images to the words, and context to the images, in turn ruining both.
While I do think you can make a good horror comic(It's just extremely hard), this is why those two things often work on the own, but rarely together.

>Thats true, he was a racist

I lost it.

Stuff that pokes the snake recognizer in a way that the pattern finder can't parse.

Atmosphere and execution

yo mama

user, if you need a jump scare in the first place it's not good horror.

This is the guy that did the Furry Trap, isn't it?

Check your dimensional privilage.

That's cute though. Death is funny once humanized.

I need an adult.

I am an adult.

This.

Maybe if i could tell what it is

Ha. I remember using pics by that artist on the left and that photo on the right in a prank on a friend.

I got a buncha photos from /x/ and that artist. I loaded them on an SD card with some creepy music, like the creepy music from Eyes Wide Shut played backwards.

Then I snuck it into a digital frame with sound a friend had in his work space. I had the music quietly playing on it. He got home from work one night and was spooked when he went in the room. Only when it got to an altered pic of a dog figurine we keep sneaking into each others' apartments did he realize I was pranking him.

Imagery horror is fickle. You need to find a sweet spot where what you're showing isn't too ridiculous (so people just find it funny/goofy), isn't too abstract (so people just get confused as to what they're seeing, puzzling over what they're seeing instead of being scared), or too bland (so people doesn't really give a fuck about what is being shown).

no.

body horror

use the page turn to its full effect

How dare you. Kenn's art is as terrifying as it comes and should be taken at the utmost sincerity

Isn't this pretty much the plot of Dead Space?

I donr get whats happening did he look into a mirror?

It's not really scary or spooky, though.

The artist is known for drawing shit from his dreams
It's not meant to make sense

Yes, now that I think about it.

It is, here's the page it's on on the artist's behance

behance.net/gallery/32658881/Art-for-SCP-Foundation-calendar-2016

Idk about top tier, but I like The Coffin.

Is that some Chuck Burns? Keep meaning to check his shit out.

Can't go wrong with Eerie and Creepy Magazine. Hope you like Anthologies because that's most of what Horror is in comics.

For years I've been meaning to make a tragic romance meets cosmic horror story about a cultish church (that is totally not based on any actual real one) fighting a group of anonymous internet hacktivists. Oddly, I had that loose idea before that shit actually happened on a certain Laotian hand puppet forum.

I wanted to use a King In Yellow type of character as an ancient fear elder god taking over. I had even found an old copy of the book. This even was before the whole True Detective craze that popularized it.

That comic where a guy is turned in an insect monster is pretty good ans was drawn in Paint.

This one?

I'm sorry Sup Forums

Yes. I love it. Simple and unsettling.

>cosmic horror
I'll never understand why so many peopl jerk off to cosmic horror. I just refuse to find them at all terrifying.

Son of a bitch. It's like the stupid Candlejack meme but with murder.

Don't blame me, he made me write this post.

Like D.O.G.S. of Mars

I'm still not dead!

I remember actually turning around because of how little i was expecting the ending

That's really neat but you could see it coming the second they start telling the story because they just said it's always preceded by the story.

No, Furry Trap is Josh Simmons. This strip is Johnny Ryan.