Modern Day Bank Robbers

I always wanted to see a comic book where a superhero fights a well educated bank robber while having a discussion about the fractional reserve and how the banks money is FDIC insured. Like a guy who's not even super-powered, uses rubber bullets and is just in it for the money, not to hurt people or show how big his balls are.

The hero may win in the end, but as he watches the villain being loaded into the paddy wagon, he still feels like he lost.

I never understood the concept of robbing a bank. Wouldn't they be able to track the bills by the numbers anyway? Unless you're digitally stealing I guess and found some way to cover your tracks.

What about golden age?

I just really feel like we gotta kill this "bank robber" trope once and for all. Its so stupid and hackneyed, and plays to the modern injustice we all feel.

Honestly, If I was the guy who threw Willie Sutton in jail, I'd feel like absolute shit.

Isn't that what money laundering is for?

don't engage them.
don't make eye contact.

this seems like such a clever idea, I don't know why I can't find anyone who's already done it. Why won't this trend?

i dunno, maybe you need to put a modern spin on it somehow, make him a hacker or something.

That's my confusion though. I don't know how you do it with cash. If it's just digital transfers it makes sense but not like tons of bills.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

do not respond to trolls
do not respond to trolls
do not respond to trolls
DO NOT RESPOND TO TROLLS

I'm not trolling, just genuinely confused about the endpoint. And I'm not saying stories shouldn't do it despite my confusion.

When you go to the store, and hand the cashier a dollar bill, do they look at the bills serial number?

When you make a deposit at a bank, do they scan each individual bills serial number? Do they keep the serial number of each bill on file and track each bills position in their vault?

dammit.
I fell for it didn't I?

I'm not talking about at that level. Just that once you start spending the money businesses would deposit it into their own banks. Would those banks not also be checking for stolen bills and alerting the police who could then backtrack and cross-reference security footage from those businesses to get you? Am I just overestimating how much investigating would be happening?

Fell for what? What would be the end goal of asking people how a bank robber could use the funds?

So let me get this straight.
You steal a couple hundred thousand dollars from a multi-BILLION dollar establishment and they run a state-wide dragnet on all bills received from all businesses in the local county (including their competitors who would have to share access to sensitive marketing data), money, which, BTW, is federally insured so they have ZERO net losses, cross check it against a central database which we assuming, for some reason, has every stolen bills serial number on file, then somehow compile all CCTV footage from every business who accepted a bill, tracking and noting each incidence time and location and this delivers you your bank robber... how, exactly?

To frustrate smart people who get upset when stupid people ask dumb questions.

I was honestly hoping for a better answer than "The Comic Books Industry is Run By Jews"

Not every jew worships Satan, you know.

If I owned a store, I would make my cashier's do this. If that serial number was reported stolen, we wouldn't take it and if we did it would come out of the clerk's pay

So I WAS overestimating it? Ok. I just didn't think it would be that intense as you're describing it. In my head flagging the bills as they come in and knowing which accounts deposited them to contact owners and have them work the with police to gather the footage didn't seem that hard.

If you're trying to make some sort of allegory about fractional reserve banking, that is about the most brazen false equivelency fallacy I've ever seen passed off as an argument.

And if you're just a moron, the the depths of your stupidity have literally triggered a paranoid schizophrenic break in my reality. Congratulation, you reset the paradigm. I'm going to go take sedatives now to quiet my raging ulcer.

Sometimes a dumb question is just a dumb question. Not everyone knows everything you do.

Maybe there is still hope for you. (unlike your friend here, who is beyond redemption)

Think about it. You would not only have to track the serials on each and every bill, but track their corresponding physical location in your vault. There are 500 bills in a 10,000 dollar stack.

Can you think of bank that has less than 100 million dollars worth of accounts on file?

Modern bank robbing is a lot riskier thanks to facial recognition software and other advances in tech.

In the early 90's, there was this husband and wife that robbed banks. The husband would wear nondescript clothes and disguises so that nobody could match his face. He also had a police scanner which prevented bank employees from alerting the police. And he threatened to kill anyone who dared put a dye pack or marked bills. They also used stolen cars as their getaway vehicles. They did 22 robberies and got over 200,000 dollars; they always got the drawers never the vault because speed was the essence. They only got caught in the act when their getaway car happened to be discovered by authorities right before they were off on a heist.

Pre-2000's, you could get away with this shit. 200k is easily the kind of money you can afford to spread around so long as you have a stable job and continue to be a taxpayer. The bank money was spent on stuff that could easily be paid for in cash (motorcycles, food, clothes) while their bills and expenses were covered by their legitimate earnings. Nowadays, it's a lot harder trying to do this because the IRS has wisened up.

Fractional Reserve Banking isn't that hard to understand. Basically, it allows banks to loan money they don't have, so long as they keep a small amount of hard currency in reserve. It causes massive inflation and insures the only people who have any significant wealth are those who have access to bank credit.

Its the reason your house costs about 10 to 20 times what its actually worth.

>They did 22 robberies and got over 200,000 dollars
lol, stop making shit up. You'd make more money bouncing checks.

Yeah I get your point. I guess my main mistake is that I thought the amount of automation was much higher. Like if there was already a machine to scan the bill numbers it wouldn't be hard but it doesn't seem like that exists.

thats what i'm saying.
even if you had a machine like that, you'd still have to note the physical location of every bill in every stack in your vault, which would be impossible since money in a bank is constantly changing hands all the time.

The thing with fractional reserve is how utterly bonkers that shit has gotten. I used to think 90% of all money was "real" money issued by the government by collecting tax revenue and the rest was debt, but eventually came around to thinking it was the other way around. Then I watched a documentary about global lenders like the IMF that mentioned less than a fraction of a percent of all currency is actual hard currency, (and by "hard" currency I mean FIAT currency!) the rest is all debt.

I'm beginning to think money is literally meaningless when it comes to real influence. "Soft" power is such a kinky bitch.

Explain how it's stupid. Explain how I'm wrong. If I'm as wrong and stupid as you seem to think I am, doing so should be easy.

But, anyway, this doesn't really factor into what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is it would be a clever modern take to have a so called "super-hero" bust some poor schmoe with the perfect plan to rob a bank vault and have them turn their whole world upside down on them. He could even have a noble motivation like trying to afford cancer treatments for his sick daughter or something like that.

Maybe it could end with them busting them out of prison or something.

I just want to feed "Le Miserabe" to the fascist hate machine that is comics and watch it break.

Yes I was thinking scanning before big vault but that wouldn't work since obviously they wouldn't be able to scan deposits as they come in directly anyway so shit would get mixed.