Best films 2010-present

Continued from Help us prove that film isn't dead, anons. Try to avoid posting the stuff that everyone and their mother already saw, and try to remember that great fucking movie you saw that never gets mentioned on Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt1745686/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'll repost some of the best picks from the previous thread

Night Moves is really fucking bad. The way it tries to make you identify with a bunch of retarded hippie terrorists is infuriating.

Yes, it is hardcore gay, but it's a brilliant bizarre film that builds a self-contained world on a tiny budget. It feels timeless, dreamlike, and bizarre

>heres some trash i like that will totally be big in 20 years time!
it's a good thing people like you drop interests based on whats "kool" otherwise a whole bunch of pleb shit would be considered classics now

y/n/maybe?

Don't fuck this thread up with your political opinions. And fwiw, you completely missed the point of a very simple film if you thought you're meant to agree with their actions or their cause

Pic related is Kenneth Lonergan's masterpiece. If you dug "Manchester by the Sea," you'll like this even more

Pablo Larrain finally broke mainstream with "Jackie," but it wasn't even his best film that year, check out pic related instead. His back catalog is great - "Tony Manero" should be a cult classic, and "No" is a fantastic piece on Chilean history

Some less known great films from the 10s:

In the House
Phoenix
The Wall
Into Eternity
The Congress

Only one I've seen is "The Congress," and it's brilliant. I'll look into the rest of these

>The Wall
can John Cena act?

Wonderful movie

Not that one. This one: imdb.com/title/tt1745686/

Didn't like Phoenix, they could've explored so much more the situation, and the ending while effective is also predictable.

oh okay

Oslo August 31

The Alchemist's Cookbook was pretty cool. Buzzard, the director's previous film, is also worth a look

Every movie looks the same now

Top-notch Mexican crime thriller that got zero love or attention from critics.

The Master
Once Upon a Time in Anatolia
Bullhead
The Mill and the Cross

The only movie that left me stunned in silence

>Once Upon a Time in Anatolia
best murder mystery since Memories of Murder, even better than that one desu. Gorgeous movie

This got some love from Sup Forums when it came out, but it's worth a watch if you haven't seen it yet. One of Tom Hardy's best roles

I'm making a quick chart. Keep it lively in here.

All of JC Chandor's films belong in this thread, but this was my favorite

>the garden of feet

never post on this board again
thanks

Ruben Ostlund is one of the very best directors around. "Play" is also great, and I'm looking forward to "The Square"

This is a movie I legitimately loathed. The protagonist is a sanctimonious sack of shit who gets mad at people less fortunate than himself for having the audacity to defend themselves. I wanted to see his smug face get smashed the fuck in. Instead, he won, because somehow, the villains were incompetent beyond parody.

that post was actually a meta take on this thread full of retards posting the exact same movies from the last thread like people missed them. sorry your low iq can't interpret this. stick to your reposts kiddo

If you don't know Roy Andersson yet, you are slacking. Songs From the Second Floor is his best, but it's too old for this thread

>Try to avoid posting the stuff that everyone and their mother already saw
it's like no one on this thread read this part, not even me

k

>getting mad at a film because it doesn't portray your moral ideal of a happy world
>assuming that every film exists to push the director's worldview on you

posting again

The Treatment
Holy Motors
Embrace of the Serpent
The Imposter
Berberian Sound Studio
Wild Tales

The tribe us really good. All the dialogue is sign language and some fucked up shit happens

highly recommend this

Most definitely on Embrace of the Serpent, an incredible film.

End of Watch is probably my favorite cop movie in a decade, probably won't be remembered though.

Matteo Garrone's films are always worth watching

should I give this another watch? I gave up because the old sisters were annoying me

Holy Motors was circle jerked hard on Sup Forums when it came out and had tons of awards and nominations. how is this lesser known?

I'm mad because the protagonist worshipped weakness as if it was a virtue, and pushed his beliefs on everyone around him without any regard for their well being. I hate people like that too much to ever enjoy watching them in movies.

I was really upset when this ended so abruptly, but in hindsight, I believe that it was a beautiful way to finish.

Please explain your opinion.

Night Moves was garbage. It was so boring, I didn't care about any of the characters or anything that happened to them.

Night Moves was boring shit, just like all of Reichardt garbage. Margaret was also terrible, even on the basics, Anna trying to pass herself off as a high schooler, lol. Atleast Manchester by the Sea was bearable though overrated.

I don't blame you, I mostly liked it for the visuals. Gomorra is his best film, this one's pretty good as well

I think it only has a cult following, maybe it'll become a cult classic in the future. I got memed into watching it and hated it.

Post something good then. I'm not a huge fan of Reichardt in general, but Night Moves was pretty damn good. And Margaret was fantastic so I'm pretty sure you're just a pleb

I'll check those out, thanks

>weakness
lol

One of my favorites. Charming, funny, sweet, and sad. Philomena (2013)

Good pick. Stephen Frears is great

>not posting the best movie of the century

I've been meaning to check this out, I've actually never seen anything by Kiarostami. I've been slacking on middle-eastern filmmakers in general. Asghar Farhadi is supposed to be great too

joaquin is so got damn good. hope he continues his hot streak, haven't seen you were never really here yet idk when that's gonna come into theaters

anyone who has seen this knows it was absolute kino

Farhadi wishes he could be a thousandth of the film maker Kiarostami was. Taste of Cherry is the closest film will ever get to a Greek poetic epic.

Eh, everyone loves that movie though.

Wow a self-tooth removal scene. Will check this out and sign up for Netflix!

>Its grey and has no color or happiness which means it has adult themes and is original and high IQ

I like David Gordon Green. Even his dumbass comedies. It's not proper for this thread, but Your Highness got an unfair reception

I barely hear about it around here on Sup Forums, and I've never met anyone that's seen it.

I feel that people lost a lot of interest considering it came out that it was staged.
However, the fact that Joaquin practically destroyed his career and has comeback as the greatest modern actor is an incredible feat.

Yup this and Mud too.

Here

>it's like no one on this thread read this part, not even me
But that movie was posted about tons here when it came out

Eh, Mud wasn't bad but I wasn't crazy about it either. Take Shelter was the only Jeff Nichols film I really liked

Incredible cinematography, engaging story set over two different timelines with a returning character. Set in an area that rarely appears on film and explores a world that is based on reality but has a sense of brilliantly made up fiction to it. There is a pay off scene near the end of the film that had the entire cinema with their jaws hanging low and eyes glued to the screen, not entirely sure what they were seeing but mesmerized all the same. If you watch the film, you'll understand what I'm saying. It's a beautiful film.

>The Thin Red Line
>21st Century

Russian Ark is an empty gimmick

I second the fuck out of this guy, go watch that shit

Fixt

The Turin Horse was delicious.

Boyhood is Linklater's worst.

This film is perhaps my favorite of the trilogy, but it's hard to say because they are all so different and have such a different feel. If anyone hasn't seen them just go do it. Every half a year or so I get the urge to go back and re-watch the first one, then the second, and then the third. These movies are the reason why I had high hopes in Boyhood but it sucked ass. I hope a fourth comes out in 2022.

Thanks for the backup. The movie should be praised in this thread.

Before Midnight was the only film in that trilogy that didn't bore me. I liked the family tension throughout and the location in Greece was nice

>>not even me

Why does everyone hate Boyhood? I thought it was great

But the second one is incredible. The back and forth argument in the taxi ride near the end, the final scene in the apartment. I don't know, I guess if you're a bit of a sap the movies probably have more of an effect on you.

I barely remember watching the other two, they were that stale. Maybe if I went back and re watched itd change my opinion .

Something something Reddit

Great cinematography (same guy who would shoot arrival later on) and production design, but I found this to be a shit film.

Not because it's actually bad, but because it aspires to be a drama that says something through the mood it entrenches itself in, yet all we ever get is Chandor treating the audience like a bunch of idiots.

The actors did a great job with what they were given, but I get the feeling they were trying to find something to hold onto (for their characters) in their lines that just isn't there. Shame because I liked All is lost quite a bit

My picks would be:

Moonrise Kingdom
The great beauty
Once upon a time in Anatolia

That's kind of the point of the movie, moral ambiguity. His ego was greater and because he wouldn't stoop to their 'level' he was better than them. It wasn't a perfect movie but I hardly think needing to see him fail was a flaw, it was refreshing to see a more realistic take like this. In my experience successful business owners are often exactly like him.

Moonrise Kingdom is the only Wes Anderson film I didn't like at all. I think it's the only time he lived down to his "quirk for the sake of quirk" reputation.

It always bugs me that this is praised when Durak (released the same year) is arguably a better movie about the exact same theme.

Leviathan is good but its not amazing. Durak is genuinely a solid film.

Highly recommend to anyone who is a fan of modern Russian film.

redditors trying to be contrarian

Its like you got every IMDB top 250 movie made in the last 17 years and put them on a list. Half of these are psued shit.

surprised no one has posted this yet, not really sure well known it is

So what would you put on there? Aлeкcáндp Héвcкий (2015) ?

I just thought it was such a perfect New York movie. Every detail is spot-on. It's all meant to represent the period of time where the city itself was trying to turn itself from a crime-ridden cesspool to a productive, safe home for legitimate businesses and good families. Oscar Isaac's character is on the frontline of that movement, but he's coming in at a time where it's not really possible to be competitive without getting your hands dirty and fighting back on the same level as the gangsters. It's an "American Dream" film that keeps slipping downhill and turning into a gangster film, despite the best efforts and wishes of the protagonists. It's a realist moral allegory about slow, incremental change on a massive scale.

it was as engaging as looking at some guy's family photo album