Is there an american animated movie that isn't about "being yourself"?

is there an american animated movie that isn't about "being yourself"?

I think most of them unless you're defining "being yourself" in some weird abstract way. Like if a main character's principles don't change or whatever, even though the conflict of the movie isn't actually about being yourself at all.

Otherwise you could take any movie and say it's about being yourself if the characters don't all do a complete 180 by the end.

Usually it's the character being themselves that goes against the system already put in place and with most themes show not beings a tool has its own benefits. The uniqueness of the character is usually the draw of said movie or show

bee movie

Fern Gully

is there an anime not about relying on friends?

Kung Fu Panda.

Because the main message is to be even worse than yourself and freely indulge yourself and universe for sure will reward you with Chosen status.

Yōjo Senki

>people like things with interesting characters

No shit.

No it isn't retard.

Snowflake triggered

The Lego Batman movie

Toy Story isn't about being yourself, it's about brinh A TOOOOOOY!

If we count CG then Toy Story is about how you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.

Being yourself is near the worst advice you can give a person. People are not nice from nature. Everyone has to exercise willpower to act nice and be polite under every day stress.

There's a reason for this; "being yourself" is the most popular, capitalist-friendly message in existence, and one of the most central ideologies to the culture of the English-speaking West. In an ideal, capitalist world, it doesn't matter whether you like to fuck men, women, dogs or some kind of sex-doll; as long as your identity doesn't obstruct the free market or threaten the freedom of others' identity, it's all fair game. In fact, by having more niches and different types of individuals to cater to, you can have a wider range of products for them to consume. By promoting individuality, or at least a kind of individuality that falls in line with the grand, economical scheme of things, you create a greater potential for consumption.

There's a reason why the media likes to make the heroes "rebels" of some sort who are fighting against the soulless, faceless figure of "the Man" by "being themselves", as it is a glorification of individuality. However, in the grand scheme of things, this type of rebellion paradoxically fits perfectly within the greater, capitalistic worldview.

Compare this to the media produced by a country with a different political model and culture than the English one like, say, France. In its most basic form, the French model of political philosophy, particularly in the social sphere, is very authoritative compared to the English model. More emphasis is placed on "all citizens being equal before the government and the law", regardless of their individual identities. It's part of the reasoning behind the burqa ban.

As a consequence, French media tends to place relatively less importance on individuality, or at least interprets it in a slightly different way. It's a subtle difference, given how France and most countries are heavily influenced by Anglophone culture, but still noticeable.

It's a very interesting topic in of itself, as it has to do with how a nation's basic political ideologies affects the media it produces.

The Emperor's New Groove

Toy Story as a trilogy is about facing your own mortality, stages of grief, and various afterlife concepts.
It's very obvious in Toy Story 3, but remember the driving conflict of Toy Story 2 was Woody trying to live forever, which in turn mirrored Buzz's delusion in Toy Story 1 of being something greater than he really is.

Tons of Disney movies:
Snow White, Cinderalla Sleeping Beauty = simple stories about things working out for good people.
101 Dalmatians, The Aristocats, Oliver and Company, Robin Hood, The Rescuers = adventure/ journey stories
Great Mouse Detective, Up, Emperor's New Groove = grumpy characters changing.
Bambi = life and death

HELL YEAH MOTHERFUCKER

Also every theme in anime is "man vs. world-ender" because of the end of WWII

>I can't learn Kung Fu their way, turns out I have my own way after all

Texhnolyze

You don't say?

What's a recent example of French media where the message was the opposite of "be yourself?"

Toy Story is mainly about Woody being "Andy's father".

Ranma 1/2?

>French media tends to place relatively less importance on individuality, or at least interprets it in a different way.
>The opposite of "be yourself"
Not what I said. What I meant was that French media doesn't push the "be yourself" moral as much as Anglophone media, since it's not a concept that is as central to their culture.

In terms of examples, I'm basing this mostly on Franco-Belgian comics, but a common motif of many of the most famous series is that of "the everyman". Many French comics put more focus on settings and environments such as family life, the neighborhood and work setting, and there is a general, slight tendency towards realistic scenarios. Even in fantasy and scifi settings, however, this theme of "the everyman" is very common, like in the works of Moebius. The classic French comic book hero, if not representing the average Joe, tends to be more often than not "the reporter" rather than "the soldier", and many comics put the concept of "journalism", either in their style or content, in the spotlight.

Of course, this is really a sweeping generalization of under a century of media, and Franco-Belgian culture has come a long way since the days of Asterix and Gaston Lagaffe. There are also plenty of outliers, and it's not as if the Franco-Belgians always stuck to this neo-Realistic style of showing the world from the lower middle class' point of view. There are plenty of factors that affect what the media and morals of a certain age will be, and reducing it all to the culture of the author's country is rather restrictive.

Nonetheless, I believe French comics, as well as a lot of French media, tend as a whole to be less grandiose than their Anglophone parallels. The focus is less on the individual himself and more on the individual's surroundings, the world and people he lives with.

Exo-Squad was the story of surviving a race war and trying your hardest in bleak times no one solved problems by being themselves but rather by coming together in a time of great need to make the impossible happen

The Lion King's message is about responsibility. Timon and Pumba's philosophy of just doing what makes them happy is portrayed as immature.

"remember who you are" = "be yourself"

also fuck that movie and all the rest of Disney's pro-monarchy bullshit

>Remember who you are
>You are my son and the one true king
=No, you can't live with the hippies even if that's what fulfills you. You need to give up your personal freedoms for your people's sake

I always took "remember who you are" to be less "be yourself" and more your royalty remember your responsibilities and your duty to your people

You know that this is all bulshit right?

The Fantastic Mr Fox, if you consider it "animated"

For the Mr Fox being himself means letting his family suffer for him to act like a megalomaniac

Not a movie, but Fat Albert had a message about not being yourself. Some character tried to "be himself" and turned lazy and stopped taking showers.

The Great Mouse Detective?

Like 90% of Part 3 JoJo is the main character trying to keep his friends from getting themselves killed in increasingly retarded ways.