Star Wars ship design

What does Sup Forums think about the design of starships in the "Star Wars" franchise?

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1510033108012.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=B9XpmVM81XM&t=0m9s
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Venator-class_Star_Destroyer
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Woa...

Their pretty good I guess

They're*. Fucking phone

I think you should kill yourself if you are over the age of 18 and have a strong opinion about it

t. man spending his time on Sup Forums

that's a pretty strong opinion

I really like the Resurgent-class, even though no one else does.

>can't read either
just reach for the rope my dude

I like wedges, good shape.

>Resurgent-class
Sounds like something stolen from a fan fiction site.

I like them all, but the Acclamator class are absolute dogshit ugly

Always gets me.

I think they're generally really terrible at considering military requirements or galactic scale warfare. The only space battle shown in the films with any military accuracy is the Battle of Coruscant (which still had lots of stupid shit like open gun decks, ship getting blown up by a weapon apparently in the hangar of another ship, and the general lack of evident capital ship level weaponry on the Confederate capital ships). 31 fighters should have been target practice for thousands of TIEs in ANH, the Rebel fleet is so outnumbered in the Battle of Endor and its movements so elementary that it should have been wiped out in minutes, and TPM is essentially blind luck (Anakin never mentions or hints at the Force guiding him to fly in there) and ludicrous ship design saving an otherwise hopeless assault.

cringe

When I first saw the Star Destroyer, my immediate thought was "this needs to be more flat like a pizza slice, but also have a big dick dangling from the bottom of it".

Endor was especially terrible because there's no impending sense of doom even before destroying the Death Star II because they're somehow kicking the imperial fleet's ass

The ships themselves are also trash.
Star Destroyers have an exposed bridge which practically screams "hit here to disable." It would be far better if their design removed the tower and had a mirrored top and bottom with redundant shields. Their main batteries are nice, but there's so much they don't cover there really should be additional capital level weapons on multiple positions. And since we never ever see them tilt to actually bring those batteries to bear on forward or lower enemies,

The Nebulon-B frigate is so stupid it was assumed to be a hospital ship by fans, and still got called the "Medical Frigate in Rogue Squadron 2".
The Mon Cal ships could be the best ships seen given that they don't have designs that scream "here's where to aim", but by the same token it's hard for us to see whether they have reasonable armament. If there is, they have good coverage. However, the ship in Rogue One is even stupider than the Nebulon-B with that insanely stupid bridge.

Most of the capital ships seen in the prequel trilogy either aren't warships (the Trade Federation armed freighters), or don't have significant evident capital weapon installations, and/or have shitty spindly designs.

Most of the Rebel and Prequel starfighters are pretty logical designs that clearly communicate and fit their intended function. TIE fighters look cool, but as a weapon of war are idiotic. Interceptors are much more sensible, but in general the alleged solar cells are a massive liability that detract from the parts that actually matter and clearly aren't a necessary feature given that every other fighter seen doesn't have anything equivalent.

It's also never made sense why the Emperor's trap only had one fleet, or extrapolating from there, how an Empire with thousands of ISDs could be finished off in a year according to the new canon.

I liked it as well

Pretty interesting. Can't wait to see the original designs they have in store for the nu movie.

I think you can.

That looks like it would be a delicious pizza slice with some sauce and toppings.

>dick canon

double dick

>Reminder
Why is Disney so bad at naming things?

>your first order of thin and crispy comes with extra sausage

>according to the new canon
Just ignore that
>why the Emperor's trap only had one fleet
The rest were probably patrolling the galaxy and if there was some big recall, rebel spies could've found out.

The general gist of Star Wars is that if you lose shields on a ship, you're fucked so it doesn't matter that much where the bridge is.

>lets attack from the top

Too many greebles

>episode 9
>they interlock into a circular flat deathstar

Good pilot, too.

>dogfighting in space
shiggy diggy

Slave 1 was aesthetic as fuck

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1510033108012.webm

I mostly agree with this guy's opinion.

Looks as attractive as a dislodged barnacle

It's an interesting design, but retarded on a functional level

It needs a bunch of extra mechanical shit in it to allow it to swivel that takes up weight and space, but there's no reason for it to swivel in the first place. It even has a bigger cross section when upright.

It has a huge subwoofer though.

I wish we had better money shots of it in action. Thanks JJ.

youtube.com/watch?v=B9XpmVM81XM&t=0m9s

A
FUCKING
IRON

Maybe they were rushing though designing ships because they were pressed for time.

*shits on all of your fighter squadrons by itself
psssh nothin personal kid

>It even has a bigger cross section when upright.
That makes no difference in space though. Does it need to swivel in order to fly, or can it leave the atmosphere while laying down?

It does when something is chasing it and trying to shoot it.

Jango had the good fortune that Obi-Wan had a bad case of Worf flu.

Would a ship that big constantly pull planets out of their orbit?

Considering it's smaller than a moon, no.

>"Captain, land in the outskirts of the city"
>"But sir, we CAN'T FUCKING SEE

>The general gist of Star Wars is that if you lose shields on a ship,
I don't remember any ships even having shields. The death star and hoth base are the only times I remember shields being mentioned.

Pay atention

>what are cameras

I did. It's just been a really long time.

So basically no autist deserves to live? I'm totally fine with it

>what is delay
why not use the stupid force field thing they use in the hangar?

I prefer WH40K designs

I don't think it was ever in a movie though.

Phantom menace mentions it a lot

>Mon Cal ships
Aren't the Cal cruisers supposed to have been built to be camouflaged as skyscrapers (having been built in secret) until they blasted out of the ocean and into orbit fully functional? Isn't that where their aesthetic came from?

Exposed bridge doesn't matter, you lose your shields you are exposed and can be hit by even starfighters and then die. They payload in-universe that lasers have (supposedly super-heated plasma) is so devastating it can glass planets, and Star Destroyers even had reinforced plating.

The in universe explanation for broadside space combat is that nearly all ships could also act as starfighter carriers, in this Star Wars was inspired by WWII naval combat in the pacific. Broadside weapons were not even the primary the weapon, they are point defence weapons systems for the Venator which we see in battle of coruscant, primary weapons are called turbo laser batteries. See armament section starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Venator-class_Star_Destroyer

Imagine being this fucking moron lmao

The Mon Calamari cruisers were built as passenger ships and were converted to warships when the Empire conquered their homeworld. That's why they don't look military.

Those are even more nonsensical, and suffer from xbox hueg design.

I thought they were converted tourist cruise ships or something?

Thats based

Both

Super star destroyer is best.

>all batteries fire, fire!

Why?

>aerodynamic ship design.
>for ships which are supposed to be in space.
bravo

>Exposed bridge doesn't matter,
>you lose your shields you are exposed and can be hit by even starfighters and then die.
That's literally why it matters. Bury the bridge deep in the ship, behind all that armor plating. Part of the ship should be slag before the enemy has a hope of hitting the bridge. Modern ships still have an exposed bridge because the Mark 1 eyeball is a tried and true design, but all the weapons and defense controls and the Admiral/staff are down in the CIC, which can also take over ship handling if something blows away the bridge instead of, say, nosediving into a space station.

The heavy turbo laser batteries ARE the broadside weapons, and preferring to broadside doesn't excuse lacking capital grade chase or belly armament an a space ship with potentially 360 degrees of battlespace.

Interesting that you look at that regurgitation and thought "I'll bet that person doesn't know jack about Star Wars!"

Some were, some are converted passenger liners. Which makes it even more sad that they're the best capitol ships in the films, able to punch harder than an ISD according to outside materials.

The bridges in ww1 and ww2 were not inside the ship so they arent in star wars either

>Star Destroyer
>Aerodynamic

Choose one. That is in no way a lifting surface. A tapered appearance generally a sound idea for minimizing the profile of a ship.

I consistently field the TIE Defender in the X-Wing:Miniatures game for how powerful it is, but always use a different model to stand in for its ugly ass.

>but all the weapons and defense controls and the Admiral/staff are down in the CIC,
Literally invented and codified during WW2. Even before then, Capital ships had secondary bridges for controlling the ship an and often a third completely different section for the Admiral controlling the fleet. Star Wars ships should have buried CIC for all the same reasons that it became feasible during WW2- radar equivalents, need to coordinate fighters and other small craft in addition to ships, electronic communications, etc.

Budget man

The shittiest cape of capeshit.

They are supposed to resemble world war 2 battleships and do this pretty accurately even with the changes made to appear more futuristic. Pretty fine adaptions of ww2 weaponry if you ask me.

What

Noice

due to the loss of the emporer and darth vader, the empire lost its head. often an issue with dictatorships they are fragile.

once news spread of the emperor's demise, many would have joined the rebellion, the whole galaxy may have risen up. due to the inability to handle a galaxy wide revolt. the imperial forces were overwhelmed and surrendered.

planets took back democratic rule. with the rebellions help, the republic was reformed and through years of organising and work effectively toppled the empires regime and installed a new republic.

(i know its not great but thats an idea)

the trap had only one fleet because the emperor was cocky, he always has been which is why he never went all out on the rebels. he doesnt think he needs more than one fleet. his star destroyers are unbeatable. he believes these things and who would tell him (a sith master) he's wrong?

>fuck putting in windows like every other ship thats too simple and easy lets install a weird system of cameras that is really inconvenient

In the eu there walere imperiao civil wars after the death of the empetoror, each gobernor tried to become independent