What's the most depressing movie you know?

What's the most depressing movie you know?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tD-D1IVV8F4
youtube.com/watch?v=F8tHOkXKc_o
youtube.com/watch?v=JyDf4igNJ38
youtube.com/watch?v=3wMzPztPavs
youtube.com/watch?v=V-f-doOaINE
youtube.com/watch?v=53vr9EiOH7g
youtube.com/watch?v=PPSRVbTcLwE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sha Po Lang

The Greatest Story Never Told. What a utopia the world could have been.

Amores perros or Million Dollar Baby

Threads

fuck these stupid kids for making me feel things

I watched this once.

Never again.

My life.

Yeah, The Road still had that bug of hope.

Never actually watched Threads. Downloading now.

What am I in for?

Misery

In my opinion, movies that fill the viewer with existential dread, are more effective at invoking deep fear than "horror movies". Nearly every modern American "horror movie" (Insidious, Paranormal Activity, IT, etc.) fails to leave a lasting impression of deep disturbance that you can find from movies that aren't billed as "horror movies". Since I love to be scared, I've found over the years that its good to look outside the "horror genre" box to find fear:

The Seventh Continent
youtube.com/watch?v=tD-D1IVV8F4

The Cure
youtube.com/watch?v=F8tHOkXKc_o

Kairo
youtube.com/watch?v=JyDf4igNJ38

Son of Saul
youtube.com/watch?v=3wMzPztPavs

Less dreadful, but still worth mentioning:

Time of the Wolf
youtube.com/watch?v=V-f-doOaINE

Dancer in the Dark
youtube.com/watch?v=53vr9EiOH7g

hey why don't they make one about comfort girls?

trainspotting

Never happened, neither did the R of Nanking.

fire bombings never happened

>like anybody would ever R her

I think we can all agree that Threads is the ultimate depressing movie.

Guaranteed depression

The Virgin Suicides

thank u

>The Greatest Story Never Told
>6.5 hours
Boy am I in for a ride.

That one is pretty long and full of twists. Don't give up on it too soon.

Yeah, I hated that. It ruined the whole damned film.

Why?

Because it went against everything the film had set up upto that point, and it felt like a cheap get out clause. For once I wanted to watch an American film that didn't end on a positive note, however tiny. I had grown more and more convinced throughout the film that this was the one to break the rule, but no, they had to put that tiny slither of hope in right at the end. I felt cheated.

This fucking movie

Homerbound 1 & 2

I dunno man there's a lot but from my recent watch was this one

Threads is post-apocalyptic KINO

Americans can somehow make movies about nuclear war and still add a glimmer of hope as if to say "Don't worry, even if it happens we'll be ok". It's almost like they fetishize living in miserable conditions.

Threads is like "Everyone who survives a nuclear war will wish they were dead and will end up dying slowly anyway. Believe it or not, nuclear war is terrible"

What movies have the Americans made about nuclear war?

Fuck, The Cure (1995) was airing at the afternoon in one of my country channels, started to watch that shit and I couldn't stop crying, never cried so much in a movie before. I don't think this movie is even good, but it'll make you cry.

Logan is almost on par with The Road in terms of depressing.

kys

In no fucking way.

Logan is to The Road what a Pabst Blue Ribbon is to German handmade craft beer.

Bridge to Terabithia was the only movie that made me literally cry like a little bitch

Is there a lot of musical elements in it? I can't stand when people start singing out of nowhere, and that's the only reason I dread watching this thing.

Is it family watchable or too dark?

Want to watch it with my mom.

I cried for like ten minutes, the whole movie is a downward spiral of misery and it just wears you down

It's actually both depressing and hopeful but their depiction of a world slowly going to shit is spot on.

Lilya-4-ever

Does the movie do the book justice?

I'm glad to see people are recommending this and Threads regularly. One could even say that the collective taste of Sup Forums improved.

Anyway, the movie that was the most depressing to me is Entertainment. It's not as tragic as some other movies, but the movie's so uncomfortable to watch, and so fucking bleak, you're not even gonna be entertained (hyuck hyuck) by all the suffering you'll go through watching it.

Other good (more palatable) candidates are:

>The Wild Hunt. Arguably the most depressing /tg/ movie. Flawed because indie production but hits like a sledgehammer.
>The War Zone (you might fap to it though)

I don't really have true favourites so I'll post some more titles just to get it off my chest: Naked, Withnail&I, Five Easy Pieces, Buffalo 66

Apparently so.

They've left out scenes such as a baby being spitroasted over a fire by cannibals and focus more on the relationship between survivors than day-to-day search for food and shelter, but otherwise it's a true adaption.

What's the name of this movie that features people losing several of their senses? First they can't smell, then can't taste, then become deaf, mute and finally blind, yet still alive.
Don't know if it's depressing but it spooked me when I was a kid

All I've heard as a criticism is no spitroasted newborn

I thought you meant Sup Forums threads.

They actually shot the scene, but decided to leave it out for being too abhorrent.

Probably this. You don't need movies with fictional stories to get incredibly depressed and learn to hate humanity, just look at real life.

my autobiographical film. someone said this already right?

Come and See

I feel like the biggest complaint I have is that the writing in the book made the world seem so far gone it was like hell or something, like a whole other physical world, but in the film it's just ash and grey. Narratively they compare well though and short of it being an experimental animation film or something I don't think they could have captured the descriptive elements of McCarthy's writing

oh yeah? Cool.

By far Manchester by the sea

It had a happy ending. The Mist did not.

Like “On the beach”?

whattaya talking about, that one chick who ran out of the supermarket lived :^)

Pretty sad desu

I remember that the whole story focused on her, and not the father. Oh wait.

I there something wrong if you don't cry to movies? I can find them sad but when I hear people saying "I wept for half an hour" about a movie" (most recently being The Green mile) I don't understand it.

Both my elder brothers died of heroin overdose.

Still haven't been able to finish it.

That movie is only depressing if you're already a drug addict who's given up hope. I find that movie to be quite inspirational actually, believe it or not it actually helped me realize I had a problem with drugs and that I needed help

My sincere condolences. It's one thing to lose one family member to drugs, and a whole other thing to lose two.

I hope you're otherwise well, and have people around you who care about you.

Reminded me of my childhood when my brother was hooked up on amphetamine. He doesn't do drugs anymore but he is fucked.

Antichrist

I love that movie. Great taste user.

and then the ending makes it clear humanity is done for

Unsurprising, there was an internet scandal in the late 90s/early 00s where murricans were convinced the Chinese were eating aborted fetuses

pls, try Christiane F. for a comparison.

Not a movie but depression kino by David Firth

youtube.com/watch?v=PPSRVbTcLwE

M. (1931) was kind of depressing from memory.

Never enjoyed Million Dollar Baby. What am i missing Sup Forums?

here.

Just finished Threads. That was fucking brutal. Hard to imagine that this was released in '84.

What about The Day After? Though it deals with the immediate aftermath and weeks and months following, not the years afterwards like Threads.

The strangest thing about a nuclear war at the types of warhead levels in even the late 70's when they were at their peak, is just how many people will survive.

Fail-Safe, the movie that Dr Strangelove is based on, is a much better film and bretty depressing.

Then there's By Dawn's Early Light, which is extremely depressing at the start
>Mr. President, me and everyone else in this mountain are going to be dead within 20 minutes. You need to make a decision on what to do before we no longer have the ability to make a decision.

shit movie, do not recommend

No i think not crying at movies is fine, you can still feel without crying.

Prin cenusa imperiului, post-WW1 romanian nightmare.

It's still too soon... too soon.

Logan is to The Road what Paul Blart is to House of Cards.

kys

fucking this

Starship Troopers. All the characters end up drinking the coolaid

What do you guys think about the man in the high castle?

Nazi America is filled with Danger 5-levels of camp, but it will be interesting to see where they try to go with the story.

dat ending tho

M isn't depressing. Other criminals find M and subject him to justice.

Military Stratocracy is a good system though.

Not even in the same league.

Grave of the Fireflies

it was literally banned from being shown on telly for ages after it was first broadcast
it's a fucking horrible film and I hate it in all the right ways

This is coming out on Blu-ray next year. Can't wait.

Get Carter (the original 1971 version). Incredibly bleak.

Letters from a dead man. That was both disgusting and depressing to watch. It barely has a plot. It's just a bunch of Russian dudes living in misery.

Problem Child 2

Sure thing, user, sure thing.

>I'll talk to you every day...
>...and I won't forget...
>...no matter what...
>...no matter what, papa.

M8, you're on the pedo board, of course they'll say M's end is sad.