Annihilation

Is this movie going to be the next Arrival?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/jeffvandermeer/status/865794739110526976
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It has a bad cast.

And Arrival had shit leads. Your point?

The trailer looked visually interesting. I hope it has some substance.

No, its sort of the next Stalker.

The book its based on is itself basically a rip-off of Roadside Picnic (by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky).

Another user I've consulted here with established that its sequel, Authority, is likely a rip of another Strugatskys novel, Snail On The Slope but I've been unable to get a copy to see.

>

The book is one of the worst things Ive ever read, but the trailer looks unironically pretty good.

I really like Garland but the laws of nature thing mostly reminds me of Stalker for some reason
Maybe cause I rewatched it last week

It doesnt really matter, since both Annihilation and Authority are utter garbage. That being said, the screenplay for Annihilation was written as a stand alone film, so it could be pretty good.

Also, the trailer has alot of stuff in it, which definitely does not happen in the novel.

>Renner
>Good in anything
I remember hearing that he was actually even forced on Villeneuve for this and he wanted Gillenhall or something

It's all for the best since apparently he got total creative control on BR because of Arrival
Imagine K being some meme actor like Idris Elba

Authority was a bit rough, but I actually liked Authority. Acceptance was incredibly bad.

Annihilation was rough, Authority had some redeeming features. I like novels about bureaucracy, I don't know why.

I only finished Annihilation, because I was halfway through and did hope for answers, despite knowing that I wouldnt get any.

Then I started reading autority and after the first chapter said "nothanks".

I was travelling, I borrowed them from someone.
I just don't know how he's getting away with it.
twitter.com/jeffvandermeer/status/865794739110526976

Idris is great but he definitely would not have fit BR2049

I hate modern personality cults behind authors. If youre famous, your book sells and everyone sucks your dick.

Real sci-fi is dead, since real scientists work for google, apple and the military, instead of being professors and writting in their spare time, like Asimov or even fucking Crichton.

>Another user I've consulted here with
lol

If it's anything like the book, it's going to be two hours of women that hate each other trying to solve a mystery that they don't end up solving and leaving as many, if not more questions than was at the start. Also lots of spiteful, butch dialogue.

Yep, there are no real scientists at MIT, they all work for Apple instead.

I think its more to do with a lack of paying outlets actually. If you are trying to get tenure in physics, you dont have time to fuck about working for free for years to get a publishing deal worth a few k. Asimovs generation could bang out a thousand words of an evening, chuck it in the post and wait to get a check.

Its terrible being an author now, even famousish people basically live in penury or live off someone else.

I don't really agree. Any retard can get their work published on Amazon books or something and earn some bucks there. The bar is lower than ever.