We need Christopher Nolan but we're out of budget

>we need Christopher Nolan but we're out of budget
>I know just the guy

more like

>we need to make a great movie but we need a complete nobody
>i know just the guy

How the fuck did chris nolan get so universally revered.

His movies are poorly shot pseudo intellectual garbage. Full of plot holes yet he's so arrogant he refuses to acknowledge them. At least this blokes stuff is somewhat thoughtful. Can you imagine Nolan making something anywhere near as subtle as 2049? God no

Nolan's movies are so fucking sloppy

Based Rocco

Why do people call him denii? his name is denis

Inception is literally thte only good Nolan film that I have watched.

>2049
>subtle

>we need a director but we're out of honesty

based

veilleneoueve is good, but heavily overrated.

Neck yourself.

>we want to make there will be blood 2 but PTA is busy
>i know just the guy

Stop making dishonest films

Why do you think Nolan is some kind of standard for a Director that anybody would willing emulate, someone with no distincy style?

They are both working directors and Nolan is only known for Inception and Interstellar, you've just revealed yourself to be the most entry level IMDBcore flick watching pleb on this board.

>Nolan is only known for Inception and Interstellar
Literally what
He only got to make inception because he was well known from the batman movies

Every single film dennis has made is more competent but less interesting nolancore

In what way is their work similar at all?

And talk about their work, because I know you will just start spewing buzzwords about their audience.

>competent but less interesting nolancore
This is so fucking stupid. Their styles aren't anywhere close to being the same. And yes they both have distinct styles

>poorly shot
>single handedly made IMAX cool and is one of the sole reasons film is still popular.

Neck yourself.

>we need to make a movie with a symmetrical and quirky tone
>say no more

Villeneuve >>>>> Nolan

that's like saying "eating rotten meat >>>>>>>> eating fresh human shit"

>but we're out of budget
So the movie is almost entirely made before a director is hired?
Seems about right for Christopher Nolan flicks.

>Capeshit
Yes because directors get hired for normal movies based off their capeshit experience. When will we see James Gunn, Whedon and Synder bave a career after this schlock?

>We want Bradley Cooper but we're making an Indy Film and can't afford him.
>I got you senpai

>get me Leonardo Dicpario
>he's busy, sir

>And yes they both have distinct styles

"whatever happened on the first take I'm already getting the fuck out of here" nolan and "whatever aesthetic rotten tomatoes happens to like at any given moment" villenueve are not styles

shitty forced memes aren't arguments either

>whatever aesthetic rotten tomatoes happens to like
But that's wrong? If he wanted to sacrifice his vision and the IP for higher critical praise he would make the movie more "diverse" and put unsubtle women power bullshit in it.

>When will we see James Gunn, Whedon and Synder bave a career after this schlock?
When one of them makes a good movie due to their direction/writing. If you can't stand out making capeshit, you're probably completely incompetent or just don't give a fuck anymore.

That would be a plot element, not an aesthetic

>whatever aesthetic rotten tomatoes happens to like at any given moment
Villenueve's work is the same from the start, only refined by years of experience. You can see his style in Polytechnique already.
What you're saying is that he's constantly changing, which certainly isn't the case. Yes he's trying new genres and ideas ofcourse, but his style is pretty truthful

>make a statement without backing it up in any way
>complain that people aren't thought into their replies

Sup Forums has become so infested with braindead casuals that they can't compare a "newly" popular director with anyone else but the usual Nolan/Fincher/Tarantino namecalling.
Even though most of the time the comparison is completely retareded and their execution is nothing alike, people here simply don't know of any other current working directors so they call whatever of those three is the closest to them

Do you know what aesthetic means? Be honest, because I'm genuinely not sure how you could argue that's been consistent across his filmography even if you think he's not trying to keep up with trends

There are a limited number of directors to have the opportunity budget wise to be comparable, and it tends to favor the same kind of director.

If this board wasn't literally incapable of talking about anything that isn't capeshit or blade runner for 5 seconds you'd be able to talk about more diverse directors

In what way has his aesthetic been changing and "trying to keep up with trends"?
Tell me specifically in what way his visual outlook and execution changed.

he made a film called Memento. boom.

Nolan had talent but he lost his integrity by doing main stream crap.

Villeneuve, Aronofsky, even Fincher still uphold some standard.

I like how Villeneuve said about Dune, that he is in talks but he has a certain vision about it and if he can't do that then he'll just do something else instead.

Do you guys honestly believe that stupid crap like Interstellar needed any kind artistic integrity on the side of Nolan?

lol

Color scheme, soundtrack, subject matter and even narrative structure have all closely followed what is "in" since probably Sicario. He's a competent filmmaker, I'm hoping in a couple decades he starts making things for himself.

>we need Christopher Nolan but with better overall directing, the basics of aesthetic narrative, won't shy away from the horror of violence and the ability to actually process human emotions
>this is the guy

>a complete nobody
I don't know user, he's gained a lot of visibility since sicario.

>We need Avatar 2, 3, 4 and 5

>we need a minimum 10 year gap between overhyped movies that push a technology that doesn't work outside his movie

>We need a director but we oversold shares in the film and need a loss!
>I know just the man, sir!

I've always wondered if this guy has ever gotten a job because the studio thought they were hiring someone else.

>Capo, that shit Ridley Scott welched on his gambling debt again
>I know just the guy

He's a fucking legend!

Arrival's whole plot revolves around a plot hole.

>How the fuck did chris nolan get so universally revered.

I have no idea. His first movie memento was nice if low-budget. That's it. All his other movies were shit.

>we need somebod-
>I know just the guy

>Color scheme
The piss yellow setting that was used to portray Mexico he already used in Enemy and now in BR2049. Arrival has a similar "tuesday after rain morning" greyish look like Prisoners had, even though different cinematographers worked on those films.
>soundtrack
He worked on almost all of his films with Johannsson who makes consistent work in his line. Granted that the atmospheric one-note soundtracks are pretty popular nowadays, but he made scores like that from the start
>subject matter
This is your dumbest weakest point because Villeneuve literally has the same central subject matter of the grey area inbetween right and wrong in every single film he ever made. He explored morals from Polytechnique right to BR2049
>narrative structure
Again very consistent in his work. Linear story structure with flashbacks and a plot reveal twist in the third act. Even Arrival which has a non linear story falls in the same structure.