With the death of the Dark Universe, post your favorite Monster movie

With the death of the Dark Universe, post your favorite Monster movie.

Dark Universe idea is like these monsters. They gonna keep coming back from dead, as stated in both 1932 and latest mummy intro quote.
>Monster Squad from 80s
>Van Helsing from 2000s
>Dracula Untold and Werewolf movie
>The Mummy now
They gonna try to mix or push it anyway.

The Invisible Man

Bride Of Frankenstein is an accidental arthouse horror masterpiece. It was supposed to be a cash-in from the mainstream audience.

Tbh, it needs an adventuresque update ala The Mummy 1998.

sorry pal, "Bride..' was nothing more than forced sequel (totally new character created for movie, not based on anything before) to Frankenstein succes. And it had insane scale for it's time. They make whole town - today we would call it blockbuster, as it was filled with action (following Frank's monster adventures) and spectacular, explosive ending.

You mean those things that have never been remotely palatable?
>Van Helsing
>Dracula Untold
>Mummy Series
>New Mummy Series
Go back to the refined gothic style and try to make it fresh, don't just make it action trash.

They tried that with The Wolfman back in 2010

>accidental
What? James Whale knew exactly what he was doing. Bride turned out so good because the studio gave Whale full creative control.
Sorry pleb, Bride of Frankenstein is the best Universal monster movie. It's the work an auteur at his absolute best.

>It's the work an auteur
*It's the work OF an auteur

Wolfman

yes it is best Univeral monster movie, but at same time it is blockbuster of it's time.

Brendan shit killed horror-mummy for good. New one tried to root back to original but pleb gave it no chance expecting another Indiana Jones ripoff.

>make a Mummy movie
>hardly any scenes in egypt
>bad guys are le undead ebil white crusader mens
>waste a boatload of money hiring tom cruz for a role that will mostly be done under a mask of bandage gauze
Here's an idea, try not pandering and fucking up basic aspects of the characters and setting and maybe people will give a shit

Audiences must be expecting something like Dracula Untold. It sucks that it would be a long gestation period for them again. If it is only possible for Arthouse directors to take a stab at the lore.

Yeah, so? Auteur theory doesn't just apply to obscure European arthouse films. I wouldn't call Bride of Frankenstein an arthouse film but I would argue that James brought a unique artistic touch to the film that elevates it above most blockbusters and horror movies.

I spent like 15 years calling this guy 'Swamp Thing' but he's my favorite.

Why does everyone forgot that Aeuteur Theory is not limited to the greats? Seltzer & Friedberg is the worst of the lot when it comes to Aeteur Theory.

Smart move of hiring an actual swimmer for monster scenes.

this
only plebs think this

it is perhaps the 2nd best, but the original frankenstein is far and away the greatest in every way

remember, mostly classic mummy movies take place in either USA or England
>Mummy 1932 - Egypt, later Cairo town only
>Mummys Hand 1940 - Egypt
>Mummys Tomb 1942 - USA
>Mummys Ghost 1944 - USA
>Mummys Curse 1944 - USA
>Mummy 1959 - England
>Curse of Mummy Tomb 1964 - London
>Mummys Shroud 1967 - Egypt
>Blood from Mummys Tomb 1971 - England
>Tale of Mummy 1998 - London
>Mummy 1999 - Egypt
>Mummy Returns 2001 - Egypt
Usually mummy movies have opening in Egypt, then action takes place in England or USA, where mummy is shipped to.

>Mummy Series
First one was good.
>Dracula Untold
Too much CGI in the final scene ruined it.
>Van Helsing
It went on for too long on Kate Beckinsale scenes involving the hidden doorway.

>only plebs think this
And fags, due to the faggy undertones. Those faggy undertones are why jews always push it as the best one.

Nothing touches the original.

I did not realize Young Frankenstein is basically a straight parody of Son of Frankenstein until last month

James Whale was a good auteur though. Bride of Frankenstein isn't a deep film but the Christian imagery is a bit thought provoking. I repeat, it isn't deep, but James put some genuine thought and themes into the film.

>faggy undertones
It's just a bit of camp humor. There's nothing wrong with that. Hell, the campy humor is why it's the best.

>I repeat, it isn't deep
this. it's literally bigger, louder and more spectacular sequel to "Frankenstein".
Think of it as T2 to Terminator or so. This is exactly the same, just from 30s.

Yup. His way with lighting is pretty damn amazing.

come out of the closet

I gotta watch the bluray of Old Dark House, bet that shit looks amazing

I'm straight, you fag.

Bride of Frankenstein > The Invisible Man (1933) > Frankenstein (1931) > The Wolf-Man (1941) > The Creature from the Black Lagoon > Son of Frankenstein = The Mummy (1932) > Ghost of Frankenstein

Bribe, Invisible and Frankenstein are masterpieces, Wolf-Man and Creature are very good, Son and Mummy are good, Ghost is fun schlock. I haven't seen Dracula (1931). Should I check out The Invisible Man sequels?

Invisible Man is funny as fuck

Been meaning to watch Invisible Man 2 just because he's played by Vincent Price

It's basically 15 minutes of establishing the characters and 60 minutes of The Invisible Man fucking with people for laughs. It's great.

>We'll begin with a reign of terror, a few murders here and there, murders of great men, murders of little men - well, just to show we make no distinction. I might even wreck a train or two... just these fingers around a signalman's throat, that's all.