Variety: 'Metal Gear Solid' Film Being Written by Jurassic World Screenwriter

>Derek Connolly, who penned the box-office smash “Jurassic World” as well as the film’s upcoming sequel, has been brought on to write the latest draft of Sony’s “Metal Gear Solid” adaptation.

>Jordan Vogt-Roberts, Connolly’s collaborator on “Kong: Skull Island,” will direct the feature film. Avi Arad is producing.

>Created by Hideo Kojima, the “Megal Gear Solid” video game first launched on PlayStation in 1998 and follows Snake, a soldier who infiltrates a nuclear weapons facility to neutralize the terrorist threat from Foxhound, a renegade special forces unit.

>Connolly and “Jurassic World” helmer Colin Trevorrow were discovered by Steven Spielberg following their breakout Sundance hit “Safety Not Guaranteed.”

>Following the huge success of Universal’s “Jurassic World,” Connolly has found himself very busy landing jobs on “Kong: Skull Island,” Amblin’s “Intelligent Life” as well as “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.”

Jurassic World's script was completely by-the-numbers and Kong's was its weakest link.
variety.com/2017/film/news/jurassic-world-derek-connolly-pen-sonys-metal-gear-solid-pic-1202610438/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OWH8sVCA6Ks
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sounds like it'll be a hilarious shitfest, Jurassic World was basically them throwing completely random events at the viewer back to back to back in a nonstop chain of ever increasing explosiveness for absolutely no reason. It felt as if each scene was trying to out do the last to be more outrageous and flashy and it made the whole movie seem like a joke, nothing made sense and there was no real point to anything other than hey how can we top that last scene.

>Jurassic World writer
>Kong director

KILL ME.

check out this video of him giving a speech while shitfaced
youtube.com/watch?v=OWH8sVCA6Ks

all but garraunteed to be trite, dirivitive and forgettable.

Metal Gear fan here. I want it to be shit/schlock(not that that’s what i think of the games). Why anyone would want it to be good is beyond me

Kojima's gonna freak

why, just let Kojima write that shit, god knows making movies is what he really wants anyway

Yeah, who would want a good movie? We need more trash to litter the theaters.

This right here

>metal gear solid movie

the time has long since passed for it. hell even mgs2 is too old. all the shit that was predicted came to pass. which means mgs4 would never fly today.

>Whats your favorite game?
>Metal Gear Solid series
>Oh? The one with Idrid Elba?

Bwahahaha!!! He probably thought he wasn't going to win, so he said ''Fuck it !'' and got trashed. Eh, maybe MGS is in the right hands after all

Why don't they hire talented writers?

>Assassins Creed Solid
Wew lad

Now would be pretty much the perfect time to drop an MGS2 movie if there ever was one, what with all the shit about public opinion being shaped through deliberate manipulation of facebook news feeds all over the headlines.

>writing a movie script for a movie that already exists
?

What a thrill

as someone who only played one metal gear game, the series story seems convoluted as fuck. like, is every relevant character a clone of snake?

As a huge MGS fan, this will not work. The reason MGS works is because it's a video game which affords it more creative freedom, time to tell a story, exposition etc. I won't see this movie because I know it'll be a generic action film, missing everything that makes Metal Gear great. If a series like Assassin's Creed (which is much larger than Metal Gear, casual appeal and a PG-13 rating) flopped as a movie, this will be worse.

>>metal gear solid movie
>the time has long since passed for it.
The games basically are movies, and also Escape From New York is a thing.

Don't forget
>writer of pic related

This is what I don't get. Clearly they want to use the name recognition to get fans to see it, but why would we? The MGS series is practically a movie/game hybrid. I'd rather replay one of them than see this shit movie.

oh my god are you serious

hahahaha

this sucks man

>game that desperately wants to be a movie is turned into a movie

this is a mistake

The time was passed when John Carpenter already made two films several years earlier.

Atleast base it on the original metal gear. That has less story and would be better suted as a movie than solid 1 which is a sequel to 2 games already.

>Avi Arad and all this other garbage

>making a movie derived from games that are little more than 80s action movie cliches and ripoffs strung together with nonsensical plotlines

of all video games to make a movie from this is one of the worst

So it's going to be following MGS1,Right? Even though MGS3 and MG2 both have better stories

Apparently they're combining multiple games into one movie. I shit you not. So expect MGS1, with Big Boss, Raiden and their story lines combined.

Literally this. It will lack all self awareness

Jesus christ i hope you're joking. Video game movies were a mistake. I will never see another one after warcraft

Very fucking serious. The director said it'd be "punk rock".

DELETE THIS

How can a movie be punk rock? Am i being bated?

:(

This isn't bait. I wish I was joking.

Aronofsky said something similar when responding to Mother!'s backlash something like "we wanted to make a punk movie" or some shit. What the fuck does that even mean?

So long as they ignore anything with Raiden for now, thats literally the best thing they could do. MG1, MG2 and MGS1 all have the same fucking plot beats that they could be remakes of each other. MGS2 did this again and MGS3 and onwards expounds on plot ideas that couldn't be fleshed out properly in the originals. A sequel is never guaranteed, so they've got to make the best movie they can now and give people what they want.

Like if you make an MGS1 adaptation there's a bunch of bullshit the viewer wont get because they don't know who Big Boss or Outer Heaven is. But you make MG1, it doesn't have a plot or side characters to support a movie. You could get it MG2's plot, but who wants to see Running Man over Mantis or Ocelot?

I love Liquid and Shadow Moses but no what you do is you cut them and make a movie about Outer Heaven and the original Big Boss vs. Solid Snake conflict but have him face the iconic bosses from MGS1 instead of literally whos. And instead of being just a moustache twirler, you give Big Boss the same kind of depth and complex relationship with his protege as the Boss had with Naked Snake. Add in some of the government conspiracy shit from MGS2 for plot intrigue and maybe some MGS4/5 in terms of visuals and tone for what it would be like to sneak on a futuristic battlefield with child soldiers and you've got a film that would probably feel more exciting and Metal Gear than any straight adaptation. Plus it would be a simple story that actually starts from the beginning so people understand shit, which is why I mentioned you definitely leave out people like Venom and Raiden.

>punk rock

The man who shit all over Jurassic Park is going to do MGS...? This truly is hell.

No doubt some fundamental part of the series will be messed up as happens with all these adaptations.

I say don't try to do a straight up adaptation of one of the games. Do it like capeshit, take what people like about the world and make a new story with it.

Long Halloween, Killing Joke = The Dark Knight

It's DOA. There wasn't one compelling character in JW.

no no no no No No NO NO NO NONONONONNONONONONONONONONNOOOOOOOOO

It's like they are out ruin these and hurt me personally. Jurassic World, Ghost in the Shell, and now Metal Gear.

What's next? White Evangelion remake starring Miley Cyrus as Rei? Movie where they just repeatedly rape my middle school crush?

the aunt at least had a complete arc

Hollywood is genuinely scraping through the bottom of the barrel straight into the concrete below if it's seriously considering a live action MGS movie.

Kojima cannot write for shit, and the only reason we stomach his "stories" is cos there's (usually) good gameplay underneath.

Look at both the directors work and Twitter feed.

MGS wasn't about flashy jump cuts. But the director will def being that.
Plus the guy is a total hothead on Twitter.

Who cares Metal Gear is shit all it means is the movie will match the game

MGS fans realize the game's story is fucking shit, right? There's no way a MGS movie will be anything other than total garbage.

How would normies react to the AI Colonel's monologue at the end of MGS2?

It's shit by the conventions of film or tv... so yeah it's shit. I enjoyed that shit in the games though. This will just suck.

>You will never see the beautiful disaster MGS film Jodorowsky and Kojima could make together

Snake himself is a clone of Big Boss (also codenamed Snake (Naked Snake to you)) aka Jack aka John aka Saladin aka Vic Boss aka Ishmael. It's pretty straightforward.

> Sony’s “Metal Gear Solid” adaptation.
> Avi Arad is producing.

>making films other than capeshit and jumpscare horror
>expecting it to make money

Don't forget the LotR series. It's like someone has made a list of my favorite media and is on a vendetta to destroy it piecemeal.

If Konami stops this in it's tracks, they will regain my respect

Metal Gear works, imo, because of its batshit insanity that it takes totally seriously.

I for one am excited for the fucking trainwreck that an MGS movie would bring. As long as they don't westernize aspects to make it more "normal" and thus "boring", its going to be an amazingly bad clusterfuck.

>Avi Arad
He's trying to do for vidyashit like what he did for capeshit. The Jew is pure cancer.

>not written by kojimbo
this is an outrage, I'm boycotting this film if the plot is anything close to coherent

Metal gear solid 4 movie staring kurt russel

>Big Boss and Raiden team up to fight Snake, who is working for Kaz (who is really Venom Snake in disguise) but Venom Kaz was hypnotized by Liquid's arm and thus Snake is really working for Liquid and Big Boss and Cyborg Raiden must stop Snake from being manipulated.

But then you find out Big Boss is really Ocelots ghost who is planning it all and controlling the memes.

And the run time is 96 minutes

It will be a glorious mess.

Metal Gear would really only work as a short series. There's no way you can make a good MG movie in two hours without losing what makes MG special. It's just gonna be a generic action movie.

he ruined spider-man 3

we could've had the GOAT superhero trilogy

Wasn't that asshole the reason for David Hayter not being asked back for MGS:V.

I mean hell if anyone should be writing a Metal Gear movie it is fucking David Hayter. The original voice of Snake who cared deeply for the story, speaks conversational Japanese and is also a screenwriter.

But then again I'd also wish this was a lower budget movie with no studio interference. Seems like the goal is to do some dumb 150 million dollar piece of crap that will probably be PG-13 to try and make billions and will flop hard.

A MGS movie needs to be more like John Wick and not Jurassic World/Skull Island. But guess its too late now.

Where's the fantasy casting? I'll start with Tom Hardy.

>I'd also wish this was a lower budget movie with no studio interference. Seems like the goal is to do some dumb 150 million dollar piece of crap
Tbf it really wouldn't do the source material justice otherwise. Central to MGS' identity as a game series has always been the insane, boundary-pushing production values.

>ruined

how?

Do you watch every movie? Just ignore it

yeah he threw a pretty big bitchfit over the Cinemasins of Kong

Kong was a super solid flick

Kurt Russell as Big Boss

Sure if you give a fuck about plot beats for some reason. The themes are great and it's a fantastic setting with great characters

Scott Eastwood as Solid Snake, dubbed by David Hayter in post

Tom Hiddleston as Zero

God damn it no don't make a fucking metal gear movie, its GAURNTEED to be shit. You simply can't make one long enough and satisfying as the games. In each of the games, cutscene time alone adds up to well over the tolerable length of a film.

MGS needs a movie like hell needs fire and brimstone.

Kojima would probably have an aneurysm if Kurt starred in an MGS movie he had nothing to do with

Akira is in the works (tho Chronicle already did that) as well as Bebop (as a TV show)

lets be honest, this is the quality and level of professionalism metal gear deserve

goofy ass cheesey ass animu shit. I say this as a metal gear fan by the way

He has plenty to do with it, him and the director 69 each other all the time

what a waste of Drew Struzan

holy shit geoff keighly is gunna freak if kojima isn't writing this

So is the storytelling going to be 15 minute expository monologues stuck between generic action sequences? If not then it's not a proper adaptation.

Remove the stiff delivery and characters explaining every aspect of the plot like built-in footnotes, all that's left is an exceptionally stupid Tom Clancy plot written by a moron that likes cartoons way too much.

BAM!
Take that splinter cell

So is kojima gonna be a part of this or not? If he isn't involved then I'll ignore this film entirely.

raimi never wanted venom, he is a classic romita sr/ditkofag and wanted the golden age of spidey stuff, wanted sandman/finish out the harry osborn arc

arad forced in venom

>Sony's Metal Gear Solid

hnnnnng

Real life is a better metal gear movie than whatever they will make.

This makes no sense. They only people who genuinely like Metal Gear Solid's plot on it's own are so developmentally disabled that they would instinctively dislike any adaptation that wasn't written and directed by a socially retarded 54 year old man out of some irrational principle.

I thought Akira fell through again for the fith or seven time?

muh pleb writer

This breaks my goddamn heart. An MGS movie has the ability to be a surreal yet serious spy drama filled with all sorts of themes ranging from duty to love...

But its just gonna turn into a le epik modern action movie filled with quips.

Vic Boss is kind of a double, not a clone.

The guy who wrote Jurassic World and some anti-white kike director? Wow! That sounds awesome!

>LOLLLLL

but seriously, this is going to destroy a beloved game franchise because Jurassic World was focus grouped garbage. It checked all the boxes of a blockbuster movie but decided to not put them together in a coherent manner. fuck. they could have any other director, but him? why? why cant we have nice things?