The Man in The High Castle

What does Sup Forums think of this? I'm four episodes in and I have mixed opinions. I'm interested in the political and conspiracy side, but so far, only the guy with the glasses and the Fuhrer guy interests me out of the lead characters. The Nazi spy seems to have potential but the main girl really annoys me. Should I press on?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VP9wkTEgORI
youtube.com/watch?v=9coLxieJDGs
youtube.com/watch?v=iqTHEbl93Qc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it's pretty good but the main "hero" characters suck ass. Trade Minister guy and the American Obergruppenfuhrer are way more interesting.

>we can't use the Rising Sun flag, we might offend someone!
>swastikas are totally fine tho

Double-standards aside, I think the show is a resounding 'meh'. Interesting premise but that's about it.

Everything that isn't nazi's sucks. They seem to think we really care about the whiney fucking bitch of a jew and his horrible goddamn blonde. The resistance only makes nazi's look like good guys. Second season is much better. Mostly because they doubled down on nazi's.

That's my problem with the series. I don't like the characters that are supposed to be the "relatable" ones. They're boring and really fucking stupid.

This. If you can get past the Joe/Juliana scenes the show is great. Obergruppenfuhrer Smith and Inspector Kido are just fun characters to watch.

Is this some sort of anti-Trump propaganda?

No, it's an alternate reality where the Nazis and Japanese won WWII.

You know, it's like, what if nazi's had won the white house earlier than 2016

Joe sucks Juliana is ok

>not killing your son for the good of the state
This is the absolute state of Sup Forums right now. Absolute degeneracy, it makes me physically sick when ever I see that 'man' on the screen.

>earlier than 2016
The nazis won in 2016? How is Trump even serving as president then?

Juliana is far worse, at least Joe has conflict which he resolves, as boring as it is. Julliana just keeps fucking things up no matter which side she's helping.

>t. reinhard heydrich

Oh sweetie.

Sorry but I'm not American so I don't understand this stuff. Can the Supreme Court intervene if nazis get elected and is that why Trump became president?

OP here, I can see where Joe's character arc is going, but I still don't get why Juliana needs to exist. Her ex-boyfriend seems more interesting so far.

dont worry, that is just about everyones opinions, the japanese and obergruppenführer smith are the most likeable characters because they try to do everything in their power to protect the things and ones they love. while the "heroes" are irredeemable scumbags who are annoying and will gladly kill anyone if it means furthering their cause

>have a bus ticket to get out of Japanese-Occupied San Francisco and into the Neutral Zone
>muh boyfriend is late
>even though the Jap cops are looking for me I'm going to miss that bus

stahp

Even with normies? That's surprising.

well its not surprising given that they are actually well written and likeable characters

I thought normies would hate the Japanese and Nazis in the show honestly.

not really, most that ive talked to dont like that they are axis members, but love their characters and agree that they are the highlight of the show

i just finished season 1 a couple hours ago. i stopped paying attention to the first couple episodes of season 2 hopefully when i rewatch it doesn't bore me.

Obergruppenfuhrer Smith, Based Frank, and the Wegener/Tagomi side plot really carry the first season, because pretty much every decision Joe and Juliana make is dumb in one way or another. Frank's friend Ed is always hard to watch, too.

I thought season two was better. The romance between Joe and Juliana doesn't take up so much time, Joe gets a good arc with his father, John's character expands a lot with his backstory and his son's disease, and Juliana's character gets more interesting when we see the alternate universe version of her interact with Tagomi and later come to the realization that she's basically a pawn for the Man in the High Castle, who relies on the fact she's a kind and empathetic person in every timeline to make his predictions.

The character of John Smith -- especially when contrasted with other members of his family and the other Nazis around him -- is one of the most realistic and thoughtful portrayals of a member of a totalitarian regime I've seen. He's almost a tragic figure, because all his actions basically stem from a desire to do what's best for his family, but in the end he can't actually protect them because as deep as he's gone into the Nazi hierarchy, he still doesn't truly believe what his government preaches. That's why he fights tooth and nail to keep Thomas alive somehow while Thomas himself comes to the conclusion he should be killed off.

I watched like 2 episodes and gave up. All the nazi stuff was watered down so it would be palatable to the mass audience which completely misses the point in favor of profit.

checked

>edgy the series

No thanks

S1 feels weak because the main girl and her Jew boyfriend are insufferable while the Trade Minister and John Smith are the only thing keeping the show interesting. S2 is odd because I think everyone's storyline gets a lot better, S2 in general felt more nuanced, I really enjoyed it.

youtube.com/watch?v=VP9wkTEgORI

Not sure how I feel about the universe travelling as a literal plot point, the book and the scenes with Tagomi represent as something of a more meditative experience, something that's left in the background. Bringing shit like multiverses and astral-projection sounds like they're going to turn the show into generic sci-fi schlok

Smith is coming to our earth motherfuckers HYPE

why do the Nazis speak English?

>because pretty much every decision Joe and Juliana make is dumb in one way or another.
>Knock out the Marshall
>They leave him unconscious instead of blowing his brains out with his gun

That's when I knew I wouldn't like either of these characters.

>expecting north america to learn a new language in the space of 20 years

not even german pragmatism could accomplish that

Everyone is garbage except Obergrouponfuriousa and jap guy who can time travel.

It's like how the Romans spoke Greek. It's a sign of being cultured.

but why do the Nazi soldiers/officers not use it when talking to each other?

I wonder if we'll see the John from "our" timeline, like how Tagomi saw his son.

>All the nazi stuff was watered down
>I watched like 2 episodes
you realize the first 2 episodes were literally created as a means to get them past a review board, it starts ramping up pretty quickly, and really gets there by season 2

The American Nazis do when addressing German high command usually, but I think part of it is viewer related. They're a bit schizo with it, at some times the Japanese will be talking Japanese to each other but during important scenes they'll switch to English despite there being no native English speakers in the scene, happens with the Germans as well.

Maybe it's do with a lot of the actors not being fluent German/Japanese speakers, some of the main character actors (Tagomi, Heydrich, Himmler) are pretty good but people like Joe, John Smith and such must struggle with a 100% German script

>Being this butthurt about a democratically elected official

7 more years faggot

youtube.com/watch?v=9coLxieJDGs

BUILD THE ____?

Wall

größeres Land?

Oh nice i didnt think about that

I need this

Frank is interesting? GTFO. He's an emotional wreck whose motivations change depending on how the wind (plot) goes. I seriously hope he doesn't come back for the 3rd season. Utterly Annoying.

I like how S2 fleshed out more of the world and how it works. Nazi America was interesting.

Or maybe they don't want to bore the audience with having to read shitloads of subtitles, losing the nuance of spoken word? Try watching STD with Klingon language and subtitles.

The type of people who are bored from subtitles wouldn't be watching MinTHC anyways, it'd be better with it.

HAH i love when resictance get cucked.The brother of my Grandfather was shot by some commie resistance fighter in hungary

kino

that's what the show is though, should've dropped it when the old Asian teleported to irl New York like any reasonable person

It builds. Stick with it.

Frank really is hateable.

Only read the novel back in middle school so Ive forgotten all tye plot details. How did they pad a novel into multiple season tv show?

tbf I thought he was just meditating, like it was a visual metaphor for the tao te ching shit in the book, I didn't know he literally teleported to another universe

What happens to the black people in America?

Nazis purged all non-whites in the parts of America they conquered

By changing almost every detail.

In the book the Man in the High Castle is a reclusive author who wrote a book where America and Britain kicked all ass in WWII and became two sides of a Cold War. Neither the main setting of the actual novel, nor the novel in the novel/alt reality are our actual reality. The characters go to find him to find out why his novel feels so real. He's called the Man in the High Castle because out of paranoia he made his home a fortress in the Neutral Zone. But when they find him, he's relaxed from that and said fuck it, and he's having a neighborhood barbecue. Also a fuck lot more I-Ching, and the original weeb.

In the show the Man in the High Castle is a reclusive resistance figure who COLLECTS films that show up from alternate realities. Many of them. Seemingly at least one is our own actual reality. He's called the Man in the High Castle because... because... well we don't know why.

>New York

What brand of retarded are you?

Rounded up and stuck in the ass crack of the country

I like how he spent most of season 2 ignoring his friend who almost died to save him, and then thinking Juliana gave him up or something because random assfucks he never met insinuated she did.

Seasons 1 and 2 felt like they were telling one season worth of story that had a bit way too much padding.

>Nazi East Coast = Gassed or sent to the Neutral Zone (midwest)

>Japanese West Coast = Tolerated but treated as second class citizens as Whites are

wrong board to complain my friend.

>show about the axis winning WWII
>the world is better than the one we live in
jej

I think we're gonna see that one American Nazi's past because the last episode of season 2 showed him as an American soldier...felt bad

the brother of my grandfather was executed by the commies because he was a policeman (like a beat cop, not even an officer) during the "fascist regime".

Kido is the best character

>The jew is the bad guy

What did they mean by this?

ethnostate

This. The scene where Smith takes his son out to the lake is an amazing example of an actor conveying emotion without speaking. You can see the inner conflict tearing him apart.

Honestly think Smith is the best character in the show. He's a human face for a really dangerous and despised ideology

The show in general is at it's best when it highlights the fact that most of us would eventually conform to faschist rule and accept it as the new norm to abide by. It sucks at portraying the resistance or the "good guys" though where they're basically less likable(as characters, not in the ideals mind you)

>Frank is interesting? GTFO. He's an emotional wreck whose motivations change depending on how the wind (plot) goes. I seriously hope he doesn't come back for the 3rd season. Utterly Annoying.
Frank is very interesting in season 1. In Season 2 he becomes insufferable, but his storyline also goves us scenes with Ed and Robert.
In season 1 Frank was one of the better parts - are you really telling me you didn't feel for him with what happened with his family? His assassination attempt was pretty interesting as well.

though smith doesn't actually care for the nazis.
He switches sides as soon as the nazis started to win to protect his family and himself (which might start to change at the end of S2).

Culture?

Trade Minister is the best person in the show.

Literally everyone who watches the show does it for Smith and the trade minister. The main characters are unrelateable kikes. The fact that now Smith is the Fuhrer probably means they won't focus as much on him and more on jewish plot.

Smith isn't the Fuhrer, he probably got a promotion though

>trump is a nazi
how dumb can you be

>yfw newly promoted oberSTgruppenführer Smith leads a special interdimensional Einsatzgruppe through the Stargate to liberate our timeline

youtube.com/watch?v=iqTHEbl93Qc

haven't watched the show, but the book had reality shifting too. mite b cool

Depicting Nazis and Japanese Imperialists at all is automatically edgy?

Wheres the new season, Lebowsky?

Oswald Mosley and the anglo Fascists primarily used English.