Why would a 68 year old be in a retirement home?

Why would a 68 year old be in a retirement home?

Spongebob came out in a time where people retired at 60.

Serious physical handicap. I once saw a 30-something guy in a home who was there because he got into an accident that left him completely immobile.

I thought the retirement age was ~65 whereabouts this show was made.

That and maybe he had older friends that hung out there. Rumor has it the elderly often like to congregate.

thanks jews

Where was this animated? State of California?

>full retirement age is older than 66 (that is, you were born after 1954), you can still start your retirement benefits at 62 but the reduction in your benefit amount will be greater, up to a maximum of 30 percent at age 62 for people born in 1960 and later.

So generally the social security administration expects you to retire somewhere in your mid 60s. So the people writing and animating this probably knew some 68 year old retirees.

you mean thanks boomers

People don't move into nursing homes just because they've retired. You only go there if you've got dementia or can't take care of yourself for some reason.

Typically that's true, but he would have had the option at that age. Like if your old place is shit or you wanna save some cash or whatever. And like that other guy said, hanging out with a bunch of folks around your age.

Perhaps he couldn't bare to leave Mermaid Man's side.

He fucked his health up by spending most of his life as a superhero. It wasn't good for his body.

He's lucky he's not punch drunk like mermaid man.

That's kind of heart warming

IT'S A RETIREMENT COMMUNITY

Remember, he and Mermaid Man are the same size as a starfish or kitchen sponge.

A couple decades ago people didn't live past their 60s, that was all you got.

And a squirrel. And an octopus. But much bigger than a sea snail

Well, yeah, that's why Mermaidman's belt buckle can be set to M for mini as well as W for Wombo. They can be any size they want.

This checks out, Barnacle Boy can't have Normal Sized krabby patties anymore

Whales are twice times bigger at least

Pearl is about the size of a Dachshund, I reckon.

This, Barnacle Boy was like Squidward where he always claimed to hate Mermaid Man's antics but deep down really cared for him as a friend.

Thank people living longer
>teehee I'll work 40 years and get pension for 60 years!

>couldn't bare to leave Mermaid Man's side
They get naked together?

The average age where people move into an assisted living facility is 81 and the large majority of residents in them are white females.

It's a meta joke. That's how old Tim Conway was when the episode was made.

I like how the question here is not that they're two grown men living with talking fish underwater with a squirrel but the fact that he retired at 68 because the former is more believable.

Are you implying that Barnacle Boy is actually an 81 year old lady?

Who you calling a caring friend?