Let's finish this run

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/2017/02/16/state-marvel-comics-comicspro/
twitter.com/jpalmiotti/status/832364107005308928?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Games_Done_Quick
youtu.be/1tdRGkjHdwA?t=81
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

this agency is clearly a fine-tuned machine

That's practically a Hiroki Samura cover.

Hello, Storyteller.

Finally, it's almost over! Let's finish this edgelord garbage and move on to something that doesn't make me want to fucking kill myself.

>ZEALOT® CAPTURED BY THE CODA®!
>Only on WildStorm™'s Wildcats™ 3.0!
>From DC Comics©!
lol

man, I need to finish BotI some time, but I have it in print and I'm too cheap to start hunting down volumes after what is it, 15 or so

that's 100% deliberate, of course

>a thousand Psylockes

Of ©ourse.

they're just diggin' in on this, today

An Elektra too, apparently.

Marvel and Archie teaming up to put out digest comics sounds like a deal with no downsides.

Archie gets badly need cashflow.
Marvel gets grocery store and gas station impulse buys that have been gone for like a decade now.
Marvel writers might start doing new stories with tighter plotting that works better for digests.
Kids once again get legitimately accessible comics, giving a new generation more chances to get interested.

All around, a good deal.

Who let Claremont guest write?

I do hope it works

My LCS dude was all "They pushed us so many copies of Mosaic...so many useless copies..." when I asked him about it today

IMO the highlights of the series def come after that so yeah, would strongly recommend it.

Claremont WildC.A.T.S. was like four issues of his OCs and fetishes

>Marvel writers might start doing new stories with tighter plotting that works better for digests.
It's probably just reprints, familia.

Griftertron is pretty great.

>FUCK SHIT UP
I'm going to pretend that Grifter got this shirt to parody Ladytron, because otherwise, I'd have to assume actually owns that shirt herself.

Yeah, she's crass and don't give a single fuck, but she's not THAT over the top.

But seriously, reiterating what I said in the last thread: this Creative Team was probably at this point working on the pitch documents for Ben 10 and more money than anyone this side of Millar. Actually, July 2004? They're probably producing it by this point.

Ben 10 is way after my "watched cartoons" phase, so I know literally nothing about it

It does seem like anyone interested in money or, uh, job security in comics goes after animation or television projects.

So, Karen Berger's own line at DH, eh? Has a DH imprint ever survived?

It's just a really boring Dial H for HERO ripoff but with aliens.

So is the obvious samurai aesthetic supposed to be that these earth cultures were influenced by the original Kherubim one?

Is there ever any info given on the Coda warpaint and/or meaning of that?

As best I remember from long past drunken storytimes, there were some nods to the Coda's setup in Greece and classical Athens, but the katanas are basically Jim Lee Rule of Cool

I mean, if Legend (which had the likes of Art Adams, Frank Miller, John Byrne, Mike Mignola, Walt Simonson and Mike Allred) barely lasted four measly years during DH's heyday...

I can't believe that apparently someone at marvel apparently used the "It's all DC's fault that LCS had a bad quarter because of return-ability" at that conference thing

>Marvel writers might start doing new stories with tighter plotting that works better for digests.

Marvel's released digests before, like the Spider-Girl ones, Marvel Adventures, or Runaways.
I doubt it'll be anything besides "the stories we say are the most popular!"

I think it's pretty neat even if doomed desu. I'd like to see more stuff like Ether or Angel Catbird or w/e out of Dark Horse over their adaptations of other properties. Berger can definitely do the job.

My main hope is that maybe Berger Books will attract and take what would have been an otherwise competent but middling Image book and elevate it via editing the plot/structure/writing before the artists ever get to work

Was it Spencer? It sounds like something Nick Spencer would say.

But hey, USA Avengers was #1 man. The variants work! We just have to figure out how to cram 50 of them onto every book now...

LCS dude laughed at that, a serious "Are you kidding me?" He says returnability has been great and they get their numbers right thanks to it.

The last year has not been an enviable one for LCSes trying to exploit the MCU audience I think.

Well, obviously.
And it probably can't even be the most current stuff getting reprinted, because can you imagine buying a digest with a Bendis part 3 of 6 in it? It'd be (even more) unreadable than usual.

But I was just thinking that if they do well, new stories would be encouraged to fit that format.

I dunno man, she certainly didn't help Surgeon X a whole lot...

So basically like any Claremont writing after 1991 or so.

It was a bleeding cool post, so take a giant grain of salt. They refused to admit who it was who said it:
bleedingcool.com/2017/02/16/state-marvel-comics-comicspro/

>I am told that the title of the fall Marvel branding will be “Make Mine Marvel”. And that this will encompass the attitude Marvel wish to engender. You could probably add “Again” on the end.

>They say they want to make retailers money, to keep the market healthy and blame DC Comics returnability for tying up retailers cashflow for low fourth quarter sales.

So sad that wasn't just a Western Black Jack or Franken Fran.

Oh man, did that get better? The first issue was horrible.

I can't but laugh at all the costumes now, this is such over the top dude fapbait

>DC meets Looney Tunes
I fucking hate crossovers. Exactly because of bullshit like this. The DCU and Looney Tunes have nothing in common aside from being owned by Warner Bros. There is no interesting story to be mined from this, no thematic connection to work with, you can't even get any good jokes out of it. The only reason this is happening is because WB wants to squeeze money out of both, and despite the utter lack of potential, fuckin' nerds will make sure it flies off the self on day one.

I can't even remember the last time there was a crossover that had an actual point beyond pandering to the Death Battle crowd.

I also saw a couple retailers saying that they never returned anything since they sold out of everything they ordered

I'm guessing returnability was mostly used by bigger shops like Midtown and whatnot that had more freedom to over-order stuff

twitter.com/jpalmiotti/status/832364107005308928?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Nice

It's basically Dial H for Hero, but the important thing is more that it was wildly successful. Like, more successful than just about anything else CN had at the time. So successful it's gotten like 4-5 reboots since so they can keep marketing new designs.

And my LCS is solid on the Marvel front as well as the DC one, but he said "Marvel's been bleeding" recently. They know me as a mainly digital customer who comes in for a few things in print, and I voiced my annoyance at overpriced #1s and stealth minis

>you can't even get any good jokes out of it
I thought that about the Flintstones though.

nice, I didn't realize that Texeira did that picture

King writing Elmer Fudd/Batman should be fun

Okay, without getting Sup Forums or too political or anything, can someone explain the appeal of P*wD*eP*e to me? I feel genuinely and rarely old in the "what the fuck, kids" front on this one.

more SPACE PUNISHER some time, please

Incidentally thanks for the reminder Stokoe's Alien comic is out from DH next month OP

Marvel Adventures was pretty ideal digest story telling, though, and Defalco's old school approach in Spider-Girl made each story individually readable.

And, what's more, those were digest trades. I imagine the Marvel Digests are going to work a lot more like Archie ones- cheap paper and cherry picking from 80 years worth of content.

Why would they quote Moby Dick? These sexy space Amazons are RUINING the versimilitude.

I've seen even more discontent on the digital codes for random Marvel shit front, now

>So I started out raping my boss' wife because she annoyed me and now I've become my boss and I'm basically married to her, whoops

How long until Marvel's strategy is charging $270 an issue to meet USAvengers profit margins?

Speaking of Space Amazons, Texas user, if you ever show up here, are you going to run the weirdass Jodi Picoult WW run you were talking about yesterday?

Do you watch any LPs, OP? He basically created a style of LPing that some people like.
Personally, I don't get it, but I prefer the "ProtonJon fucking around" style of LP to his scarecam horseshit.

So does Boba Fett ever come back? Is Andromache Boba Fett?

You can kind of put LPs into the "why the fuck would I watch this" category for me. It made sense in the dorm lounge with rum and coke, but for fun???

The Unspeakable One appeals to folks that like his hyperactive "humor", and he's good at PR, maintaining a high degree of positive interactivity with his fan base.

Success is often about selling one's self, as the perception of quality is more effective than actual quality.

But what if they make the Looney Tunes crossover with Justa Lotta Animals or the Amazing Zoo Crew?

does anyone do the mid-run slump and the fuck you ending quite like BKV?

People like watching people play videogames, even after college.

>Okay, without getting Sup Forums or too political or anything, can someone explain the appeal of P*wD*eP*e to me?

I know very little about him/what your talking about, but I think basically that the Let's Play/watching other people play videogames thing is something that he was an early standout in, and his numbers snowballed because the biggest things attract the largest new viewers.

There's a few varieties of LP.
There's your walkthrough style, where the player goes over everything, like all the endings, collectables, ect.
Then there's your Blind LPs, where the player has no idea what he's getting into, which is especially popular for horror games (which is where Scarecam, where you can see their faces and their reactions, originated).
Then there's a third style, which I like to refer to as "entertainment LPs". This is the hardest to explain to someone who isn't interested, mostly because this one focuses more on how much the viewer likes the GAMER, as opposed to how much they like the GAME. Those ones can be especially cringy if you don't like the channel.

Okay, that makes sense.

Let's just say that some of the reactions to things around him have been that weird combo we live in right now of terribly funny and depressing at the same time.

>Nam Less

But muh domino theory!

>Picoult WW
Why.

A good LP can be described as a discussion of sorts on the game in question. It's not just watching someone play a video game, it's watching someone showcase it. The point, which many people miss, is to show the game off and perhaps educate viewers on things they didn't know, possibly even getting them to consider buying it.

For a good example of this, check out a guy named Chipcheezum, and you'll see what I mean.

I've looking through them occasionally for games I am kinda curious about but have zero interest in playing myself, or no way to play them

they aren't something I would watch on a regular basis at all though

Oh, okay, I like one kind of LP: insane speedruns of NES games I remember venting a lot of profanity at.

Do you ever watch AGDQ?

This for me. There's stuff I know I won't get around to playing but still want to check out. It's also another kind of thing you can just have on in the background.

Right, I forgot about speedruns. Nothing like barely surviving the Yellow Devil, just to see some asshole on the Internet beat it without getting hit, with the fucking buster.

i have no idea what that is

that Super Mario speedrun, goddammit

also the Battletoads one

Ask Texas. He seemed interested in how shitty it was, and he ran this boss rush of a story yesterday:
(fixed link)
Texas had this to say:

Speedruns for charity.

Awesome Games Done Quick. Bi-annual speedrunning livestream for charity. They do some of the super frustration NES stuff you're on about.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Games_Done_Quick

So, I'm suddenly tempted to put money into Waifu Academy.

Tap to Give Us Money games sure do work the way they're intended to.

Picoult WW is just dumb and Nemesis is even duller than in Heinberg

OIC

now I wanna emu Boy and his Blob and see if I can die less than when I played it when it came out and ha ha there was no internet for 'strategy guides'

Ah, I see this office worker is a Woman Who Wears Underwear.

Here's a boy and his Blob in 2 minutes and 10 seconds
youtu.be/1tdRGkjHdwA?t=81

>also the Battletoads one

I once saw four people RACE to see who can beat Battletoads first, and they did it in ONE YouTube video.
And this isn't some "these kids today" shit, since they're older than me.

Also reminded of, in college, emuing Mega Man II, and when you beat it once, you get the option to play it again on 'difficult'

Yes, actually. Either tonight or tomorrow.

I enjoy that you aren't making any actual counterargument.

Seriously, crossovers are just bad. There's no real point to having one group of characters interacting with another, because it inevitably amounts to jack shit. And the "plot" is always the same. The two sides fight, make up, team up to fight the villains. Rise, repeat. Fuck that noise.

I.....I....that's not RIGHT.

We're off tomorrow, so you have my blessing.

I finally played the Legacy Collection this week, and beat the first two MegaMan games in three days, including MegaMan 2 on difficult.

By abusing save states like they're a misbehaving child.

>The two sides fight, make up, team up to fight the villains. Rise, repeat
That's not the plot of Superman/Madman aka The Best Crossover Ever Made.

Your shitposting aside, I think DC really is overdoing it with crossovers. There's Hanna Barbera, there's Looney Toones and then there's those IDW ones too, Batman/Shadow, JL/Power Rangers, GL/Apes...

The response was "THERE'S A *HARD* VERSION OF THIS GAME????"

Don't do it, user. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Actually the "difficult" mode in Mega Man 2 is what the Japanese version's difficulty was like. After you've beaten a couple Mega Man games you start to realize how ridiculously easy 2 actually is in comparison, especially with the Metal Blade that breaks the game.