Top notch manga artist keeps up with a 40 page per month serialization she is writing the story for while also doing...

>top notch manga artist keeps up with a 40 page per month serialization she is writing the story for while also doing cover work for cape shit on the side
>most american comic artists can't even keep a 20 page per month schedule and get "filled in" after 3 issues at best
What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

jamieism.com/work/-working-as-an-assistant-on-the-prince-of-tennis-
onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Gaimon
onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Sarfunkel
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>manga artist
Usually they have like 3 dudes doing backgrounds, ink and other shit, and most of the time manga is just white and black.

To be fair most Americans have someone else on inks and color. Though no BG assists.

Because Mangaka are basically slaves?

This is her monthly manga. It's called Atelier of Pointy Hat.

They literally don't have a life, that's why they can do a weekly book, even the assistant sleep in the work place if needed, they cook for the mangaka and a lot of other shit.

Looks cute.

Depends. They work more but the payout from creating a big hit is larger. The richest comic book artists are all Japanese.

Creator of One Piece

> since 1997
> sleeps only 4 hours a day
> rest is work work work
> has 4 to 5 assistants
> needs to be 3 weeks in advance of the current chapter
> only black and white
> background and other things is assistant work
> he works so much that he went to hospital
> now he needs to take a break every 4 weeks

Mangaka life is shit, they are slaves doing something they love but it is really a hard life.
Oda will die before completing One Piece

Well yeah, because they maintain their ownership of the character rights. It's not like just picking up characters for Marvel or DC.

He is also the richest comic artist in the world.

Also monthly mangas have a much lighter work comparing to weeklies

> 40 pages a month
> 80 pages a month (20 per week, plus color pages, plus cover pages)

Dat nigga need to just end One Piece. He's probably written War and Peace three times over by this point. How long can you possibly drag something like that out?

jamieism.com/work/-working-as-an-assistant-on-the-prince-of-tennis-

This link can tell you a lot how mangaka/assistan shit works

Why don't comic artists also have assistants that imitate their style? It doesn't seem that farfetched of an idea.

Or just watch/read the amazing Bakuman

American people just don't care that much about comics. They don't even care enough to do their jobs properly they would all rather get out of the industry and work on cartoons or something else

No, he'll complete it, and then go home and fuck his own personal Nami.

How much do they earn by page?

A little less than the head artist I suppose. But are comic companies seriously so Jewish that they can't even pay for assistants?

>are comic companies seriously so Jewish that they can't even pay for assistants

Are you seriously asking this? They'd just pass the cost to the consumer or start printing in toilet paper like manga do.

Can depend on the mangazine too. Harta, the magazine that Dungeon Meshi is published in, only publishes 10 issues a year lightening the load some.

american comics
>everyone has to have credit
>you can't work in the industry if you're not a turbo sjw
>you either draw capeshit or some asshole's movie pitch
What are the cons of manga?

Read this thread. Workload is crazy.

Not exactly. He said once he's done, he's got an idea for a robot manga.

>>everyone has to have credit

> be in a creative field
> get no credit

lmao, look at this guy.

An example of mangaka workload: Kishimoto married his wife in 2003. He didn't have time to go on a honeymoon until 2015 after Naruto finished.

>How long can you possibly drag something like that out?
Man, Oda spent nearly 600 chapters to make a Simon and Garfunkel joke!
onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Gaimon
onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Sarfunkel
He isn't going anywhere.

If they don't want to work hard to make comics maybe they should just quit instead of doing a half assed job.

>zero free time
>zero sleep
>cancelation/axing common
>publishers defer the cost of assistances and such to the mangaka which is supposed to be made up by tankobon sales so if the manga flops the mangaka suffers the hit (iirc)

Shounen Jump's workload is hell along with other weekly magazines. There's slightly more reasonable hours elsewhere.

>>you can't work in the industry if you're not a turbo sjw
What if you just stay quiet or pretend in company

but user! how will I be a comic artist if I don't vent my opinions on twitter?

And some Euro artists publish one 40 page tome a year

Manga artists are overworked to the point of sleep deprivation and illness. It's no wonder they are productive, until their health collapses anyway.

Artists had more assistants when comics were a bigger deal decades ago. Look at comic strips like Prince Valiant

Nah, gotta force it into your work, too.

True, but Kishimoto's up there as one of the richest mangaka there is. He was making 2 million dollars all the way back in 2004, and the number has only gotten higher since. Him, Toriyama, and Oda are all the most successful and they all have/have been working the Weekly Jump schedule for an ungodly amount of time. Other magazines definitely are more lenient with time and competition, of course, but not many mangaka have reached the same levels of success without being in WSJ.

It's why they drop dead at 60 like Tezuka. He used to brag about how little he slept, something like 3-4 hours.

Meanwhile Shigeru Mizuki always got 8 hours of sleep and he was still drawing until he died at 93

More like they were whole studios that just churned out comic books . Eisner and Iger created the assembly line production that Marvel and DC still use, in the Golden Age comics were all about quantity. It was only people like C.C.beck or the EC guys that seemed to take any amount of pride in creativity

Who else works that leisurely? Togashi and Kiyohiko Azuma are all that I know.

Love this artist.

I don't know much about mangaka life, Manben is a great show hosted by Urasawa Naok ( Monster, Pluto) where he interviews other mangaka about their work method

Even makes Squirrel Girl look appealing.

A pro of being a mangaka is that you at least had prep time and freedom for your manga. Iirc comic book writers have lots of restrictions when writing. American comics need a freer market.

I wouldn't say Togashi is leisurely working with his "back pain".

Since moving to Ultra Jump, Araki has a lot of free time these days

I also think the OPM artist has a lot of free time to considering Eyeshield and OPM are monthly manga

Murata definitely doesn't have it bad. The OPM schedule is "whenever he feels like it" and the time between chapters fluctuates each one.

Is that page your example of why freedom is good? I don't want comics to become a den of cocktease bullshit that 75% of manga wastes perfectly good pages on.
There are plenty of times when creatives were given free reign and spit out some pants on head retarded bullshit. Constraints can give rise rise to good ideas.

>rich as fuck
>can never do shit cause you're constantly working
>comic isn't even that good
Speaking as an artist it ain't worth it.

>But are comic companies seriously so Jewish that they can't even pay for assistants?

Comics in general are niche. The top selling floppies sell about 100,000.

yeah but he is fucking a young VA of one of his characters.

>you can't work in the industry if you're not a turbo sjw
>Who is Ethan Van Sciver
Fuck off. More like
>you can't work in Marvel if you're not a turbo sjw

>But are comic companies seriously so Jewish that they can't even pay for assistants?

Marvel is run by the most stereotypical Jew imaginable. He would make creators pay for the comics they've worked on instead of providing comps. He would roam the halls and make sure unoccupied rooms always had their lights off, and would force employees to stop working at their computers once it was quitting time.

>It's ok if you're literally working yourself to death at least you're rich

Can't spend that money if you're gonna end up paying it all on hospital bills.

when he's not coughing himself to death or stuck in a hospital sure. Jim Lee does fuck all now and he has enough income to support 11 children. Guess who I'd rather bee.

it's a comedy manga with some ecchi. People still buy it.

Correction, it's 9 children.

The thing is, his life probably sucks, but he is building a legacy that will last long after he is dead.

Yup.

>manga artists draw 40 pages a month
Yes, and it takes one week to make a whole cartoon.

What good does that do him? He'll be dead.
I suppose he could be pretty proud of his work but looking at it from the outside I wouldn't be so proud of masterminding one mediocre comic in my entire career.

It ain't worth it,
Besides, even Yamcha could easily defeat Luffy and all of Oda's characters

Good art, really nice line art in her manga stuff.

>Besides, even Yamcha could easily defeat Luffy and all of Oda's characters
The fuck does that have to do with anything?