Donald Glover as Simba, James Earl Jones as Mufasa in Live Action Lion King Movie

hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/lion-king-live-action-movie-casts-donald-glover-as-simba-977488

>The star has been cast in Disney's remake of The Lion King as Simba, with director Jon Favreau announcing the news on Twitter. Favreau also revealed James Earl Jones will reprise his role as Mufasa, the beloved father character he voiced in the 1994 animated original.

>Favreau first met Glover at The Hollywood Reporter's conversation on creativity in December, where Favreau told Glover his son is a fan of the star's music, which he performs under the name Childish Gambino. ("By the way, full disclosure: I see your face every day when I wake up my 15-year-old son because on his door is a portrait of you," Favreau told the actor-musician.)

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1fAvTb7s55P
time.com/81078/the-most-popular-disney-princess-frozen/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

inB4 butthurt over CG animals being called live action

>mfw I came to complain about this.

>JEJ Back As Mufasa in the remake

Okay......I'm willing to give it a chance now.

>not having donald glover play simba in a shitty second hand lion costume
does disney hate money?

nothing wrong with pointing out ignorance.

>live action
Can't wait lol

I think it's a pretty fair point, unless you wanna call Toy Story or Shrek 'Live Action' too

we should probably start trying to find a comfortable distinction between what is currently considered animation and what is supposedly trying to appear "physically real", otherwise Everything will be animation in 15-20 years.

How utterly pointless. It's not like the Jungle Book which has human characters.

You deliberately disobeyed me.

Thanks Disney for another live action rehash. So thoughtful. So very original. I can't wait to not see it in theaters. Why don't you complete the 90s nostalgia by making shitty straight to DVD sequels to the the live action versions while you're at it?

>James Earl Jones as Mufasa

Oh man I actually wanna see this now

Going in the other direction is pretty fair as well, since big budget action movies are shot 99% in front of blue/green screens. And they are still not animated movies, despite everything but the actors being CG.

They should do a live-action remake of the animated Robin Hood that's just a bunch of actors in fursuits.

this is why the 2010's is the worse decade concerning entairtainment: remakes, reboots, shitty sequels and when something new happens it's just pandering.

I think the only way I'd be down for a rebooted Lion King would be if they just used the stage musical as a template. Maintain the tribal art aesthetic, but make it more expansive. Go nuts with the puppetry and CG enhancements.

Make something that isn't just the School Plastic Surgery Competition from Cow and Chicken

I'm surprised they'd bring JEJ back considering he's in his 80s.

I can't wait for this shitty trend to whither and die.

What trend?

Live action adaptions of animated Disney movies

It's all just going to be black dudes cause muh diversty shit isn't it?

Who the fuck can voice Scar better than Irons?

Not until I get my Hercules with KJ Apa and beyonce!

You know the answers going to be iris elba, why fight it?

IT' A VALID POINT, NIGGA.

Ain't no people in this shit. And they never use real animals for crap like this anymore.

It's an animated movie! FUCK YOU!

Scar will be white because he's the villain.

BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH AS SCAR

>tfw you will see a sweaty Donald Glover in a lion suit for one hour and half
>tfw you finally realized what was the cinematograph created for.

lack of creativity and good ideas isn't a trend.

did you see the trailer for beauty and the beast? it's angsty tween fanfiction tier-trash. they downplayed the comedic/playful element of the origin film to favor the same old generic semi gritty/serious/realistic approach where everything is conventionally pretty and vintage that they've been pushing since Alice, and other films like divergent and 50 shades of grey follow that same fucking trend. they want that hipster, terrible-book-dweller adolescent girl audience.

we got Emma Watson for the fangirls to self insert and a pretty, big, mild mannered beast for them to gush over. that's what sells, so that's what they'll do.

Khan was voiced by a black dude.

Mind you he was fucking awful and took a giant shit on Sander and Jay's legacies.

Bambledick Cumminsnatch is fuck awful and his voice is shit.
Go with anyone else.
Make Scar a Southern hick for all I care.

Does it really matter what race the villain is? Either way the complaint is always about diversity.
inb4idris villain again

It's not because of his race, but that nigger was a fucking awful Electro.

Wait, why would James Earl Jones have a white thirty something year old brother?
It would be interesting to cast an albino though.

Disney's new obsession with remaking animated movies into live action.
Jungle Book is the most I could swallow since I really dug Favreau's take on the story, but even then I hated the reason it was made.

He was fucking atrocious. They took the more interesting aspects of Electro, overexaggerated the shit out of them, then expected us to take him seriously.

I still think Aaron Paul would be the perfect Electro.

Oh boy, I can't wait for normie disneyfags to jump in and yell about how OMG THEY REMAKE CHILDHOOD MOVIE LIFE COMPLETE MOVIE GONNA BE PERFECT XD

I dont think James Earl Jones can crawl around in a fursuit in a hot desert at his age just fine.

I don't know if Mufasa's death will hit as hard in the remake. That, and there's only so many live action remakes Disney can do, right?

I still think anyone would have been a better Electro than that hack.
Preferably white, but only because race changes are rarely done because the actor is suited for the role.

What's the point of this? It's just going to be CGI animals. It's just remaking the Lion King as CGI.

Why not just re-release the original in theaters? Why do they need new voices even? Why not use the original voice cast?

>doctored youtube filtered upload

UGH, at least use Kisscartoon!

>Lego Movie is called animated
>Jungle Book and Lion King are called live action

Literally what is the difference

Donald Glover as ... anything
fuck you

James Earl Jones as ... anything
awesome

>Why not just re-release the original in theaters?

They did that five years ago for a grand total of 177 million international. Every subsequent disney re-release flopped hard.

The novelty of theatrical reruns wore off pretty darn fast. Full remakes are where the moneys at.

This reminds me: I peeped the "Beauty and the Beast" junior novelization while I was at Walmart today. I skipped to the end.

Le Pou gets trapped under one of the living furniture people during the climax and is abandoned by Gaston, his idol, leading him to save a falling Mrs. Pott from breaking and swearing off Gaston. At some point later, the Beast is close enough to killing Gaston, but doesn't do so since because Belle (I think), so he lets Gaston live and leaps off the castle tower instead. Gaston falls too. His rifle is described as "terrible".

Jungle Book had a human and bits and pieces of real greenery for the human to interact with in amongst the CG jungle.

>black Simba voice actor because MUH africa MUH diversity

Dropped

The something set in Africa with black people who would've THOUGHT

Hugh Laurie as Scar.

I agree, all films set in Africa should be filled with black Actors, all films set in Europe/America should be filled with white actors

You get whites in Africa as well as blacks.

You even get honary tribesman, Spike Lee.

Will it have the Morning Report?

So are they going to be wearing lion costumes or what

>Donald Glover

instantly trash. dude is so fucking lame.

>inB4 a Bambi live action remake.

...I actually wouldn't mind seeing KJ Apa as Herc and Beyonce as a muse.

>Lion King reboot
>Plot altered slightly
>Lion King II wiped from canon
>In the new movie, Scar tricks Simba into going into Hippo territory and not the Badlands
>Simba ignores his father's previous warnings and goes to their neck of the watering hole.
>Mufasa dies protecting Simba from hippos.

There.
Now Simba is ACTUALLY directly responsible for Mufasa's death and has a reason to run away. Scar thinks the hippos killed Simba as well and takes the title of King.

Simba meets Timon and pumba who keep him alive until he can fend for himself. The trauma of his father's death makes him want to be the fiercest thing imaginable so he can kill the hippo that killed Mufasa.

Nala finds him as usual, he returns stronk as fug.

Finds out Scar planned the whole thing and played Simba, Scar gets dat ass beat by hippokiller Simba.

Will they make it like the musical?

>and though The Lion King won’t be live-action, it will look it
At least this one acknowledges it.

Then the VFX people will finally unionize and Hollywood will shit itself.

Did you know that simbas second cub has magic powers and created the animal version of the avengers

Why not use the original cast? Why get new voices?
>Matthew Broderick is 54 yrs old.
Oh no...

I agree

I bet the entire voice cast will be black except Scar.

LEGO Movie wasn't considered animated enough for the Academy Awards.

Surely they'll at least get Lane and Sabella back for Timon and Pumbaa right?

Damn I was just thinking about that line in 3005 "Girl why is you lion? Girl why you Mufasa?" and this comes up

vocaroo.com/i/s1fAvTb7s55P

Reminder of the stuff Disney has in development:

Films with dates:
Beauty And The Beast - 2017
Mulan - 2018
Mary Poppins Returns - 2018

Films that have started casting:
The Lion King - With James Earl Jones and Donald Glober
De Vil - Cruella De Vil origin story with Emma Stone
Tink - Peter Pan from Tinker Bell's point of view with Reese Witherspoon

Sequels:
Jungle Book 2
Maleficent 2

Films in development:
Genies - Prequel to Aladdin
Aladdin
Chip N Dale: Rescue Rangers
Christopher Robin - Live Action Winnie The Pooh Movie
Dumbo
A Night On Bald Mountain - Chernabog sequence from Fantasia
Pinocchio
Snow White
Rose Red - Spinoff from Snow White starring her sister
Prince Charming - Spinoff from Cinderella starring the Prince's Brother
The Little Mermaid
The Sword In The Stone

And nothing for Pocahontas

For a moment I thought Donald Glover was Danny Glover and I was preparing "getting too old for this" jokes.

>1947: fuck black people
>2017: fuck white people
WHY İS THERE NO MİDDLE GROUND!

If you think any of that is new you haven't been paying attention

never

>live action

Most films in Europe and America have white actors. In fact, the casts in most American films have been disproportionally White until recent years. Hell, in Europe, movies that are supposed to have a minority have been known to not have that minority in some cases. Remember Excalibur? It was a good movie, no doubt, but where's Morien? He's historically portrayed as black (because he was a moor), but no sign of him in that movie. Let's not forget about half the internet shitting bricks because a character that was black in the hunger games novels was played by a black actor in the film.

the are using Jame Earl Jones again.

James earl jones was old when he did the original lion king. Matthew Broderick likely has an old man voice now.

At this rate Beauty And The Beast should safely beat Wonder Woman and may actually beat Justice League at the Box Office.

Usually you don't start to develop a wheezy old man voice until your 70s.

>Donald Glover

I fucking read that as "Danny Glover".

Shouldn't they be casting Asian people for this?

I said the same thing about Beauty and the Beast, and they ignored me.

>wahh wahh black people
>wahh wahh cgi

How are you guys this predictable?

I constantly confuse the two and wondered why the hell they'd get an old man voice for Simba.

no stupid it's Africa

Fucking hell Disney, why?

I hope to god they all fucking fail like that new Alice in Wonderland movie did.

Jeremy Irons is still alive too so they better get him back.

For that matter, everyone is alive. Get Nathan Lane and Ernie Sabella and Rowan Atkinson again.

Alice in Wonderland was Burton and they put it out to die

Bet they're planning their own version already

Well, Excalibur squeezed all of Arthurian legend into less than 3 hours so not everything was going to make it in. Gawain became Morgana's flunky which he never was. Also Morien is like only in one story by one author, the recurring Moorish knights are Segwarides and Safir.

>I hope to god they all fucking fail like that new Alice in Wonderland movie did.
I'm so sorry

and most importantly Palamedes

Those three are Saracens not Moors

So if it's still animated and they're even gonna bring back voice actors, what's the point?

Probably trying to kill off hand drawn animation in favor of CG. They're probably going to destroy everything related to the original after they release this.

creativity is dead

>Probably trying to kill off hand drawn animation in favor of CG
That happened 15 years ago.

>what's the point?

What this user saidThis is all about greed and using another demographic with a lot of disposable income.

Plus, these movies don't have to be thought out or planned, they've already been made decades ago and are just given a new paint-job.

>what's the point?

The films Disney is remaking live action don't really make money on merchandise anymore. However by 'updating' them and reintroducing them to kids/tweens they'll start moving merchandise again.

Belle was one of the worst selling Princess' as of early 2014, but now the movie will bring her back into the spotlight and they'll sell more merchandise.

time.com/81078/the-most-popular-disney-princess-frozen/

>1. Elsa (Frozen): $3,397,816
>2. Cinderella (Cinderella): $2,504,259
>3. Snow White (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs): $2,301,831
>4. Anna (Frozen): $2,165,120
>5. Ariel (The Little Mermaid): $1,483,384
>6. Rapunzel (Tangled): $598,056
>7. Aurora (Sleeping Beauty): $215,856
>8. Merida (Brave): $282,188
>9. Jasmine (Aladdin): $253,102
>10. Tiana (The Princess and the Frog): $84,882
>11. Belle (Beauty and the Beast): $6,867

Mulan and Pocahontas are so low they don't even place. Mulan is getting a movie in 2018 along with the merchandising boost. Aurora would have gotten the merchandising boost with Maleficent (along with Maleficent herself).

>James Earl Jones still playing Mufasa

Nice to see Disney knows when something ain't broke.

IT MEANS NO FURRIES FOR THE REST OF YOUR DAYS

>Chip N Dale: Rescue Rangers

they are actually gonna make a 'live action' movie of that?
it's gonna look like alvin and the chipmunks isn't it?

It's meant to be a hybrid live action/CGI film so...yes. It hasn't been mentioned in like 4 years though so hopefully it's been canned.