Ok?

Ok?

Modern Archie is disgusting

Give me back muh cartoony DeCarlo

>mentioned Trump
Oh boy, time for another 400+ post Sup Forums thread on Sup Forums.

>Modern Archie is disgusting

But modern Archie gave us the ginger stallion.

See, now this is a pretty sensible, all around.

I thought this was gonna be the interview where he said we're gonna see Jughead stuff his face

wtf i love cole sprouse now

why are the sprouse twins so based?

Cole is best Sprouce tree. I've always liked actors who aren't full of themselves & know what's going on in the world without sperging at award shows.

Dylan's cool too, bit of a memelord but I had fun playing vidya with him

Smart kid.

The other twin is shite

Oh, good.
Yet another pointlessly grimdark reimagining of something that is supposed to be lighthearted.
I'll have to remember to be completely indifferent to this when it comes out.

good news, it's already out so you're half way there

>If I pretend this trashy teen soap opera I star in is really some kind of political statement, then people will take it seriously.

That's pretty cool.

Not gonna watch this though.

>These comic books for children don't talk very much about social problems

You don't say.

I know the word "pretentious" has been done to death since 2011, but this was pretentious.

Archie may be a longrunner in the field of comics, but it's not exactly such an iconic American classic that it will cause riots and political disagreements. Especially since "let's have a gritty take on Archie" has already been done many times. People who read Archie comics would know that, people who don't just don't give a fuck about Archie at all.

On a side note, I don't see what's the problem with silly lighthearted stuff, and why it has to be likened to Trump.

I HAET TRUMP HES TEH DEVIL AN EATS BABBIES

Am I cool too, anons?

>a play towards the same era that Archie arose out of that is this golden, perfect world
But Riverdale is set in a modern setting

>Our society is either primed perfectly for a more contemporary view of this classic American property
>more contemporary view
Archie was the original teen romantic comedy. Of course it was silly. That silliness has nothing to do with the age when it was created. Just like there were a lot of silly teen romantic comedy movies recently, there were also tons of grim and gritty comics in the 1940s. Making the setting grimdark doesn't make it "more contemporary", it just switches it to a different genre, is all.

>People think the 30's and 40's were a more optimistic time than now

Yeah, the Depression and WW2 sure were fun times.

“We live in a society right now that’s obsessed with this 80s America mentality,” he explains. “Trump’s whole campaign was built around ‘Make America Great Again,’ which is a slogan used in the same 80s era that Calvin and Hobbes arose out of that is this lighthearted, family friendly world.”

Cole continues, “I don’t mind how we may be tampering with this idea of a lighthearted view of the world because of my personal political stance. I don’t think that ‘everything is perfect and jolly’ is a perspective that makes any sense. Our society is either primed perfectly for a more contemporary view of this classic American property or they’re going to rebel against it. It’s the same political division within our society right now.”

He probably thinks Archie arose in the 50s, which is an era that usually gets a lot of nostalgiawank. While Archie exploded in popularity in the 50s, it was created and first got popular in the 40s.

I'm not sure why you're arguing against points he didn't make.

I'm arguing against his main point. He seems to think that Archie's silliness and lightheartedness is somehow related to the period when it was created. It isn't. Classic Archie's silliness and lightheartedness stem from its genre, not the period it was created.

Not enough comparisons to harry potter
3/10

I wonder who's Donald Trump's horcrux

I mean he's talking about Archie in the context of its public perception. Nobody talks about Batman as the story of a gunman. Similarly, nobody thinks of Archie as a creature of the interwar era. Archie's origins are too dated for people to really relate to, but it's very easy once it hits postwar optimism.
Though you could pretty easily argue that the oldest Archie is also a highly idealized version of its contemporary setting, given how dark and unpleasant things were then. Art as a reaction against reality is a very old gimmick in any medium.

I'm pretty sure he's arguing the perception of Archie over what Archie comics is in actuality in the modern day. No regular person goes out and reads a Archie comic unless it's a kid who picks a digest up at the grocery store.

No. What was the point of your post?

Fair enough, I'm just irked by his implication that "a more contemporary reading" = "not lighthearted"

He's probably got multiple.

I dunno about you but if I was him I'd make Trump Tower one. I'd like to see a schoolboy destroy THAT.

yeah I see what you're getting at but I think he said it pretty smartly since he did say Archie itself was fun while dealing with non-lighthearted properties like Punisher, Predator, zombies a la the walking dead etc.

He knows those things exist and probably read at least Afterlife to get in character for Juggs but the popular consciousness of Archie is that it's idealized Americana from the view of a baby boomer which IS wrong but it is the prevalent thought amongst normies

>but the popular consciousness of Archie is that it's idealized Americana from the view of a baby boomer which IS wrong but it is the prevalent thought amongst normies

This is true, it's pretty much the perception of Archie on here until the Life With Archie and later Afterlife With Archie stuff got storytimed.

Archie is a very American thing, moreso than superheros. I never even heard of it until I was too old for it. They're like the Beano and Dandy for Americans, part of the culture and never exported.

I remember being very confused by the "stay out of Riverdale" joke in the Simpsons.

that's a good way to put it

I don't know if Beano is treated the same way in the UK as Archie is in the US, but a lot of people never actually pick up Archie to read it outside of small children because they already think they know how the story will go, so when something like Riverdale happens a group of people who haven't read Archie in years, if ever, think that it's a person trying to break down a piece of American culture even though Archie has really been pretty progressive and insightful when it comes to American culture. Hell, they introduced Kevin and he's treated like any other kid in Riverdale, they had a political issue for both Obama AND McCain where they took no sides and just had fun, they even effectively killed the Comics Code when they opted out of it a few years ago causing DC to finally leave.

Onto more serious matters, Jughead finally ate a burger but it was a blink-and-miss-it appearance.

So that's why all those schoolboys and schoolboys were rioting nearby

Though to be fair they were one of the main originators of the Comics Code as well

Exactly.

I don't get the anti-nostalgia that's been going on lately. It seems people will turn on anyone, liberal or conservative, expresses the feeling that things might in some ways have been better in the past.

I get that no one actually would want to live in the past, but nostalgia is a normal human emotion and there are always ways that the "old days" were better *and* worse than today.

Riverdale is a world that never existed even in the '40s, but it was sort of like Bob Montana's boyhood. It's not his real boyhood, but yes, a lot of us do remember our youth as being idyllic and golden and the trick is to put that nostalgia to good use. Deconstructing it is the easy way.

Nostalgia has never helped anyone do anything

It's just a way for people to blame something in the present by saying in the past when that thing wasn't around life was better

Nostalgia has never made anything because it relies on a person hating where they are right now

This. People nowadays seem fixated on the idea that the past was all horrible, even if it's the past of several years ago. Instead, everyone should just calm down and realize that life was shit in every time period.

No, it can also be about some things having an iteration that you liked better, which is no longer around.

>No, it can also be about some things having an iteration that you liked better, which is no longer around.

that's not nostalgia that's just liking a specific interpretation of media

it's like Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go, both have fans and both have pros and cons it's just one is older than the other

>Nostalgia has never made anything because it relies on a person hating where they are right now
All change is more or less rooted in this belief

The Civil Rights movement was because a lot of people hated their present situation and wanted a different one

I'm not sure I really agree with him, but I'm surprised at how tactful and erudite his rhetoric is. Weird seeing a former Disney TV star grow up to so...not entirely having his head up his ass I guess? Compared to most of the others, I mean.

Too bad it's actually worse now than before. Desegregation was a mistake.

the difference is that there was no love of the past for the Civil Rights Movement to fall back on, it was for a "better future" far removed from the past and present

A lot of left-wing movements have their nostalgia too though. That's why there's often a legend of how things were better before the white man came along and ruined everything.

There are a lot of stories about older societies that were more accepting of women's rights, or gay rights, or more in tune with the earth, and so on. Like most nostalgia stories they're not exactly true, but it's hard to convince people of the rightness of something that has never existed before. It's easier to tell them that they're getting back to the way things should be.

>that burger was the only one he could afford

I don't really get your argument. Your statement was that nostalgia is bad because it's motivated by hate of the present, but wanting to move toward a "better future" can mean to recapture something from the past equally.

So hating the present is good, but only if you don't like any aspects of the past?

oh yeah I agree with you, I find that wrong and stupid

It's just for the specific example of Civil Rights Movement I don't think "Nostalgia" works

>Autism

let me try to clear it up since I spread it out over a few post

Nostalgia by itself is worthless because it's just a bunch of people wishing that things were the same as they were kids where they had no worries

If Nostalgia is an aspect of working towards a goal to try and change the future for the better, that's great. The only discussion at that point it with others over if the past your nostalgic over was in fact better or not.

Only peripherally related: WTF is taking them so long with releasing more of Afterlife With Archie? That shit started back in 2013, the first TPB released in 2014, and here we are 3 years later and only just now getting a second trade released?
It got good buzz, people enjoyed it, and they just seem to give the fans the finger and crank out issues whenever they feel like it.

A lot of "new" things are actually old and tried things. So nostalgia can help rediscover them and bring new life into them.

Put it this way.

The shit we see with Muslim countries? Once upon a time, they weren't culturally that different than western countries in terms of development. Ironically, what looked like going back to highly medieval thinking is a MODERN development. It's based on the false idea of going back to what Golden Age Islam was like, when in reality it's even MORE backwards than golden age Islam.

Actually, the anti-Trump side has waaaaaaaay more palpable autism than the right.
>inb4 UR DUM TRUMP VOTER, b/c no

Good question

I don't think what you're saying is unreasonable from a practical standpoint, but if you're making a more general philosophical argument that simply having an opinion that isn't goal oriented is bad, I have to disagree. There's nothing wrong with having nostalgia for the past without goals in the same way that it's okay to prefer strawberry icecream even if you have no interest in pursuing any kind of icecream at all.

>autism

Yes, but that doesn't justifty the writing being complete dogshit.

>That projecting
What's the point of fiction if you try and keep it as grounded to reality as possible? It's boring. Just because he only found out last week comic books still exist doesn't make him right.

yeah I can agree with that too philosophically

>pro-Trump = autism
>anti-Trump = autism
Soooo... hi there, fellow autist!

>What's the point of fiction if you try and keep it as grounded to reality as possible?

you can make fiction about anything, only qualifier is that it has to be a made up story

>autist can't parse a simple exchange
What a shock.

>autism
There, is that a better example of an exchange? Because that seems to be the standard that has been presented.

Don't get snippy with me. It's not my fault you're brain damaged.

>autism

I'm pretty sure autists don't go around calling it a form of brain damage, autist-kun.

How would you know? You're too autistic to tell.
Btw
>autism

Could you shitpost in a less stupid way next time? That doesn't even make sense.