It's a celebrity-guest episode

>It's a celebrity-guest episode
>It's 20 minutes of the Simpsons ass-kissing celebrity's massive ego
>the whole episode is basically commissioned by the celebrity to tell the audience how great they are.
This is why guest-stars shouldn't be a thing on any show ever. The Simpsons are not the only ones guilty of this.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A5xA21Qoxaw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>The Simpsons are not the only ones guilty of this.
but the MJ episode was great

Yeah, because Michael Jackson wasn't playing himself, didn't ask to be credited, and didn't get his ass kissed. Also Happy Birthday Lisa was a good song.

The Alec Baldwin one was the worst, but the Mel Gibson one was pretty good

Overall I would rate them a C+. Ok, not great.

>its a celebrity episode
>its a technology shilling episode
>Its a strong female character that will never show up again episode
>Its a Lisa episode

isn't that 90% of simpsons episodes after season... 8?

>Lady Gaga was the worst
FTFY :^)
yes

MLP did it well.

this was the best you baboon.

Didn't that end with Musk's improvements economically fucking over the town to such a degree that it actually became a small arc over the next few episodes?

>Didn't that end with Musk's improvements economically fucking over the town
yes, also Carl dancing

user, please.
Elon musk is just *that* good.

>Even Trey & Matt let Musk play himself

Really makes you think...

Someone suggested to me once that the celebrity episodes are the simpsons parodying other shows that have random celebrity guest stars for no reason.

Not that that makes the episodes any better, but it might cast them in a different light.

No? That's retarded. If it was a parody that would require mockery or at least being funny.

I was honestly impressed that they committed to Elon Musk's effect on the town for that many episodes.

everyone in the episode constantly called him crazy and his efforts destroyed everything. It was hardly ass kissing

no?

The only guest star episode of any show I remember not hating was the Halloween episode in season 3 of South Park.

Fuck off Matt Groening, you fat fuck.

If South Park is letting celebrities play themselves than something is wrong.

Elon Musk was fine, they still made fun of him. Pewdiepie was a fucking disgrace, they let him play himself AS A FUCKING PERSON and not even a little animated character.

>back when they made jay leno voice a cat
>along with george clooney voicing sparky the gay dog

>its a celebrity episode

Simpsons always existed for this

>its a technology shilling episode
They stopped because how a 1989 family have access to smartphones and internet?

>Its a strong female character that will never show up again episode
>Its a Lisa episode

Why she´s obsessed with rolemodels outside of her mother?

>They stopped because how a 1989 family have access to smartphones and internet?
Homer and Marge met in the 90s in the current show, user.

>Why she´s obsessed with rolemodels outside of her mother?
Because her mother is a housewife who is happily married and enjoys taking care of her children, which goes against the feminist manifesto of all woman everywhere have to have a career even if they choose to become a housewife that takes care of the home and family.

Lisa is one of those people who cannot exist unless she is perpetually outraged and fighting against some sort of injustice, which is why in most future shows, she fucks Milhouse even though he's even more of bottom bitch than she is.

>Happily married
The episodes that aren't Lisawank or celebrity guests are "Our marriage is falling apart!" these days

Marge got stuck in an unhappy marriage because she got pregnant. She gave up on all her dreams because she fed into the belief that a woman with a child has to be a happy wife and home maker. She has a college degree and had dreams to become an artist, but she gave up on all that thanks to her traditionalist views.

Looking at Marge, it's no wonder that Lisa wants another role model. If Marge was her only option, she'd be terrified of falling in love since that meant she'd never be able to so much as get a job if she was married.

>The episodes that aren't Lisawank or celebrity guests are "Our marriage is falling apart!" these days
That's literally every other fucking animated sitcom in existence nowadays. Name one marriage that isn't five minutes from falling apart in any long running animated sitcom.

MJ one was fucking great.

Other long running animated sitcoms don't have a daughter looking for a strong female role model. Haley Smith pretty famously dislikes what her mother is and Meg hates her mother just as much as Lois hates her. South Park only has two recurring female children I can name. Shelly hates everything and Wendy's mother has no impact on her life whatsoever.

The question was "Why is Lisa looking for role models when Marge exists?" and the answer is that Marge is a terrible example of a woman that can have a career and family, or even just one of those two things.

Yet before the show decided to go to shit, Marge and Homer's marriage was relatively fine and Lisa had no reason to treat her mother being a housewife with such disdain.

I mean, when you look at Marge's accomplishments as a whole, she really did accomplish a lot of bullshit in spite of being a housewife by day while most of Lisa's rolemodels end up being selfish cunts who end up being exposed for what they are, like that one reporter chick who almost got burned to death from a lava pool.

Even early on, she stopped following her dreams because she got pregnant. She put her own career aspirations and dreams on hold because she had a family and that terrifies Lisa. She does accomplish some things incidentally, but she stopped pursuing her art because her family takes up too much of her time, and she nearly dropped out of college. It's no wonder Lisa is apprehensive to use her as a role model.

A lot of Marge's problems are that the show was created in the 80's and now exists in the 00's.

Marge's story was a very typical 70's\80s story, she was a promising student who got pregnant and thus was forced to be a housewife. She was doing the best she could with the hand that she was dealt with. Single moms, abortions, even good jobs for women really didn't exist back then.

Now that the Simpsons take place in the 10's, a pregnant marge could still have gone to college, could still have gotten her own job, etc. A pregnant 18 year old Marge in 2006 (assuming Bart is 10 years old) has a much better chance of making something of her life then an 18 year old Marge in 1979.

You can see the same thing with Marge's Sisters, Patty and Selma. Spinsters are tragic in the 80's, they never got the family they were supposed to have. in the 10's they're no longer tragic, you don't need to be married to be happy.

>Even early on, she stopped following her dreams because she got pregnant.
Yet she still managed to accomplish her dreams later on and she did so thanks to the support of her family. Meanwhile, Lisa is doomed to either die alone or settle for a loveless marriage with Milhouse.

Mel Gibson knew how to make fun of himself, and is absurd enough that he fits right in with the Simpsons universe.

Nicolas Cage or Tom Cruise would be other great celebrities to have episodes based around, because they're strange, energetic, and likable enough to fit in with the chaos.

Johnny Bravo meeting Mr. T was pretty cool

Matt and Trey are in the "industry" now with their musicals and they're learning that they need to play ball and not piss off the wrong people

Jeez it's almost like they don't give a fuck about PewDie or how they represent him and that was the point of bringing him in

Not everyone is caught up with EPIC MEMES user

I really liked the Neil Gaiman one, to be fair. One of my favourite episodes.

Book Job was fantastic.

What bothers me most about the celebrity episodes is that it's so fucking forced
They all need some sort of fucking introduction
>Oh my god, it's ! The behind such great achievements such as and
>Yes but on weekends I

>the bad guy was Richard Simmons

What if there was a celebrity cameo who none of the Simpsons seemed to like and they were treated like pure evil the entire time?

This. Pewdiepie was horrible. I think they might have been afraid to make fun of a real kid since they couldn't be sure he'd take it well. Either way, he never should have personally been in an episode.

You don't make an entire episode about something you "don't give a fuck about."

Unless it's done in an actual mean spirit, it's essentially jerking off the celebrity either way.

Should I ever be famous enough to be on the Simpsons than that'd be what I'd want them to do. I mean, if I agree to play myself in a comedy show I'd want that show to take the piss out of me.

I went out of my way to watch simpsons for the first time in at least 6 or so years because someone on Sup Forums said it was great.
I'm not questioning your tastes, but did you actually like the episode, or just the punchline about him?

To me, the whole thing felt weirdly, fast? Maybe?
It's hard to explain, but it didn't feel like I was watching the simpsons. Is that just how all the newer episodes feel? Or has it just been so long I'm entirely out of touch.

>it didn't feel like I was watching the simpsons. Is that just how all the newer episodes feel?
No, that's definitely the sensation of watching any modern Simpsons. The heart and soul are completely removed.

That episode had to be the worst things I've ever seen, possibly the worst, it's not even like those terrible movies that are so bad they are entertaining but just professionally done shit on a plate.

I actually liked the episode, although the punchline was definitely the highlight. I genuinely dislike the new stuff (even the stuff after Book Job, I can only assume it was an anomaly in quality), but still really enjoyed that episode. I haven't seen the episode in long enough to make a proper critique regarding the pacing, but IIRC I was inclined to look favourably upon it since the episode is a pastiche of heists, which have a similar setup. I don't think that the episode stands up to the layered comedy that the best of the early stuff managed to pull off, but I do think that it would have been considered a decent episode even then.

In Handicar they impersonated Musk, weird that in changed in a season or two

Bob's Burgers

>Hey look! It's Ted Danson
>It's payback Time

I dunno, Lady Gaga's ep at least had Lisa bitch her out and make Lady Gaga sad. Gaga was right in the end, but it was a nice change of pace.

>Thanks for letting me shit on you, all i nedded to feel better for being treated badly was to treat another person badly, in this case the person who wanted to help me! Now i'm no only a sperg that don't see that people hate me because i'm pretentious and spoiled, i'm also a psychopath!

The Flanders episode did this plot way better

>This is why guest-stars shouldn't be a thing on any show ever.
>A concept can be done badly so it'd shouldn't be done at all

Why is this such a popular view on Sup Forums? I swear you guys lack imagination for people who spend all their time watching cartoons.

>That shit
>Doing anything well
get out

I liked Ron Howard in that episode. He was the only one that actually made jokes, especially at himself

"homer, we're outta vodka"

Well they should don't exactly portray him positively. He wasn't being shit on and that is one of the most annoying episodes to me, along with being one of the most unsatisfying endings, but it was clear he was there just to piss people off since the only ones who liked him in and out of the show are really young kids.

One or two might but quite a few are just people taking roles of guess characters who may or may not be famous at the time.

The moral of the episode was "kids like things adults don't get." I don't feel it was shitting on him. More like justifying him.

But that doesn't really sit well inside South Park's history of "mock everything." There should have been a definite "this is fucking stupid and kids are wrong" turn, but never really did. Almost feels like Matt and Trey are getting old, acknowledging it, and are fine with it. And I don't care for that defeatist attitude from them of all people.

>Yet before the show decided to go to shit, Marge and Homer's marriage was relatively fine and Lisa had no reason to treat her mother being a housewife with such disdain.
She also didn't treat her mother with disdain. Lisa got along fine with Marge and supported her for an extremely long time in the show.

Kids in TV always seem to be looking for role models. Sometimes parents are enough but sometimes the kid wants someone more focused in their interests. Many people don't really have role models but when she sees a lot of people around her living joyless lives or never achieving what they wanted I guess she wants an example of how to achieve her goals. I don't think about this ever, it doesn't seem that hard to get.

>Kids in TV
kids, not "kids in tv".

They let Robert Smith play himself in a Season 1 episode. It's not a "new" thing for Matt & Trey.

Looks like a gay Steve Bannon.

>hire a literal music legend
>for a musical episode
>don't give him any work at all

what the fuck were they thinking

That entire episode was just pure cancer.

No.

Something like Tim Conway showing up in The Simpsons spinoff showcase was a parody of guest stars.

Simpsons episodes starring celebrity guests from the past 10 years involve some light-hearted joshing but ultimately are meant to be flattering.

There's something so off about seeing The Simpsons family with laptops and iPhones.

Remember when they were meant to a lower-middle class family who couldn't afford cable?

This. The pendulum is beginning to swing the other way.

In the '90s people were sick of sickly sweet wholesome families like the Cosbys or the Waltons and The Simpsons were the perfect ironic antidote to that.

Now so many shows have ripped off the Simpsons 'dysfunctional family' premise and taken it to such depressing extremes that people are happy to see couples who actually love each other again, like Bobs Burgers.

Culture constantly swings between sincerity and irony.

First Spongebob cartoon I out and out hated. It was so amazingly unfunny and none of the songs were catchy.

>Mr Krabs loves money
>Sandy loves science
>Squidward loves art

And fucking Bowie doesn't get to sing.

what the fuck is that thing
an alien?

Americans hate the poor now.

Because guest stars used to play characters (Mr Bergstrom, the Cat Burglar, Herb, Chester Lampwick)

Or when they did play themselves, it was in a funny self-aware way that wasn't just stroking their egos. James Woods method acting at the Kwik E Mart is still a perfect example.
youtube.com/watch?v=A5xA21Qoxaw
>You're you, I'm me
>I'm... me?
Fucking kills me every time

There were Simpsons Episodes even in the golden era that had celebrity guest appearances. And it worked as it wasn't masturbatory or had the entire episode revolve around them. But now every Celebrity guest appearance has to be the whole episode, like either the celebrity guest wants it, or they have no ideas besides "lol, celebrity is on show".

Hell, even when an episode doesn't revolve around them now, it's cringeworthy.
>That one episode where Michelle Obama visited Springfield elementary
>Literally everyone, even Nelson was sucking up to her and praising her as if she's a goddess or something

I don't hate her, but do you really want me to believe that literally everyone in an Elementary school would be praising Michelle Obama? I'm pretty sure there would be a good couple who would be rather pissed off at her appearing and would bad talk her.

>There's something so off about seeing The Simpsons family with laptops and iPhones

Dude...it's entirely normal for middle class families to have those in this day and age?

There is no middle class in this day and age.

Best celebrity Simpson episode is the Major League baseball one.

>Single moms, abortions, even good jobs for women really didn't exist back then.

That doesn't change the fact that it feels anachronistic for the Simpsons to have them.

It's kinda like the idea of Eric Foreman on the internet. The culture genesis of the Simpsons is of a time where the Internet was a thing Homer's nerdy roommates used to read erotic newsgroups about Twin Peaks.

What are you talking about? College was WAY more affordable back in the 80s than it is in the 10s.

I'll give you a protip: The writers had said that Marge and Homer "aren't necessarily supposed to represent 90s parents, but our parents in the 60s-70s".

There we go. Women's lib/abortion/all that shit happened in the 1970s. It was already an established part of society in the 90s.

The problem isn't the characters using iPads, the problem is that the writers just shoehorn in forced references to them to go LYL iPAD SO HIP XD.

In the classic episodes, they used to make fun of technology like the Apple Newton. That's not the approach the show uses now.

Ok I give you that. Marge and Homer were deliberately anachronistic. However, I can think of certain specific characters, namely the Flanderses, who were definitely early 90s archetypes.

John K has still never learned that lesson.

>the writers just shoehorn in forced references to them to go LYL iPAD SO HIP XD.
I know man

>that one episode where the reverend said silly tech buzzwords just to get Jimbo jones to stay in their prayer group
>that one episode where Ms. K gets fired and replaced with "lol, so hip" tech teacher who just says a bunch of tech words to be with the times
>that one episode where Lisa makes a social network, and it was literally just Social Network with the Simpsons

Also, the Simpsons don't even look that middle class anymore, for lower middle class Americans, they have been doing some pretty fancy shit lately.

>That social network episode where they go to a fancy town center and go on a shopping spree
>That episode where they pretty much have no problem moving to boston and back to springfield again.
>That episode where they go on a cruise and get the super deluxe suite because "Only good things shall happen to the simpsons now"

That's because the Newton was useless. iPads aren't.

It's okay, they can get him to sing the next time he's on the show

But the George Bush episode was my favorite and basically turned him into Mr. Wilson.

>I think they might have been afraid to make fun of a real kid
The guy is like 30

That's more of the real problem with the show. Springfield used to be an average blue collar town and today the characters are just California yuppies who go to wine tasting festivals and hang out with celebrities.

Bush didn't actually guest star in that episode. It was purely parodical,.

Why did Musk improvements duck over Springfield so badly?

We sacrifice now to make the future better.

And everyone will fucking hate you for it

The writers have no idea how real Americans live anymore; they only know how to write about their own experiences in Los Angeles hanging out with celebrities.

There was an American Dad episode like that with Andy Dick.

Most people hate the shit out of Andy Dick. Hartman didn't deserve to die that way because Dick is an enabling fuckhead who got away with no repercussions.