Was "The Snow Queen" the pinnacle of Russian animation?

Was "The Snow Queen" the pinnacle of Russian animation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cHeRDRAxowQ&t=572s
youtube.com/watch?v=efeWT1Eu2Rc
youtube.com/watch?v=8Ngwh5r7tW4
youtube.com/watch?v=vk0n0Nymk90
youtube.com/watch?v=1MZmHZ_9Faw
youtube.com/watch?v=zccOrkEaEPI
youtube.com/watch?v=z2_dhUv_CrI
youtube.com/watch?v=5LNHYz89sNc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This movie is beautiful and no one ever has heard of it :(

I couldn't say for sure, but I'm guessing probably not. It's just a very good well rounded animated film, no more no less, but I wouldn't go calling it a pinnacle from a country that has so many other quality works to offer.

It's either that or The Hedgehog In The Fog.

While there's a /rus/ thread up, does anyone remember that animation about the three astronauts in a really vividly colored world? It was two bearded guys and a girl and I think one of them plays chess against a big monster at one point. I cant remember the name but I know the animation was fantastic.

The Hedgehog In The Fog is the best russian animation IMO.

The Mystery of the Third Planet

I was gonna say that thing with the hedgehog, beaten.

snow queen is pretty basic for russian animation imo. Captain wrongel, treasure island, winnie the pooh, etc. Those are the ones I really enjoy.

personal favorite is The Bremen Musicians

youtube.com/watch?v=cHeRDRAxowQ&t=572s

snow queen > frozen

Frozen isn't even the same story tho

who needs snow queen when you can have fish waifu.

youtube.com/watch?v=efeWT1Eu2Rc

I NEED THE ANIMATION WITH A GOATMOM

I NEED MY FIX

I'm not as nearly as familiar with russian animation to feel qualified to deny or confirm than.
It is certainly an amazing piece of art but is not like with Hungary where all the astounding animation from there is attributed to Marcell Jankovics and just by looking as his work you can find the best animation from the country, which is in my opinion Tragedy of Man.

No, Tale of Tales was

Too bad the creator went full Stallman afterwards

No, this is.

They're supposed to be "inspired by" the same Hans Christen Andersen story. But Snow Queen is the one that plays it straight.

Fuck, that was an astounding film.

FUCK YEAH, CAPTAIN PRONIN

Hunchback Horse was pretty great, watched it in German but nothing rhymed. english version is all rhymed.

forgot link. and sometimes it's called "The Humpbacked Horse" instead.

youtube.com/watch?v=8Ngwh5r7tW4

There's a great animated version of a dr.seuss book where all the frames are painted on glass.

youtube.com/watch?v=vk0n0Nymk90

I don't find the movie as a whole too impressive, but the animation of the Snow Queen herself is absolutely astounding. She barely does anything, but everything in her design and motions just radiates power, majesty and cold beauty.

I also like how she isn't defeated in some flashy plot contrivance, just calmly concedes that there's too much power of love for her to handle and teleports Kai and Gerda out

This thread is not complete without Pereval.

That's impressive, but the scale is completely wrong.

Face too anime

I think OP's talking about the quality of animation, not just how enjoyable a cartoon is.

The body too. Well, making on-model r34 of her demands a level of skill that internet smut artists are extremely unlikely to possess.

this one always impressed me, sheer quality-wise

youtube.com/watch?v=1MZmHZ_9Faw

Haven't seen that one, usually the example of this style posted in Soviet animation threads is this
youtube.com/watch?v=zccOrkEaEPI

No, I think the "Mystery/Secret of the Third Planet" was. However I always felt that the real strength of Russian animation was in the voice work, characters and writing.

>no worker and parasite yet

youtube.com/watch?v=z2_dhUv_CrI

>Bolek and Reksio fighting American characters instead of welcoming them as saviors

Frozen got rewrites

Maybe not the best animations wise, but i have always loved their "There Will Come Soft Rains" adaptation.
youtube.com/watch?v=5LNHYz89sNc

>Samurai Jack crossing swords with Gromozeka
Holy fuck how did I miss this one?

Anddddddddddddddd save!

Thanks for the image user

damn, that was great

>tfw you've known about the Snow Queen for almost two years now but have still yet to watch it
While we're on the topic of Eastern European animation, does Jan Svankmajer's Faust count as animation with all the claymation and puppetry? Movie has some fucking god-tier imagery.

Nu pogodi BLYAT! SUKA! VODKA! CHMO IBANOE! YA TEBYA IBAL!

Just listen to that soundtrack!!!

Why she bothered so much for such simple dipshit?
If she knew about imageboards all of us would be dead already.

Jealous?

She had a massive /ss/ fetish and couldn't contain herself

Oh my.