Is Jack Nicholson the biggest Hollywood actor to have ever played a major role in a comic book movie?

Is Jack Nicholson the biggest Hollywood actor to have ever played a major role in a comic book movie?

Are there any major actors left that could top him?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/name/nm0000056/awards
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Tom Hanks is bigger. Paul Newman too. Really Jack isn't even that close to top.

Depends on what you mean by comic book movie.

>Is Jack Nicholson the biggest Hollywood actor to have ever played a major role in a comic book movie?

No. Just look at the Schumacher Batman films. Fucking loaded the cast with Hollywood A-listers of their time.

Schwarzenegger is not bigger than Jack Nicholson. He might be more relevant nowadays, but in the grand scheme of things, no.

The only person I can imagine maybe surpassing Nicholson is George Clooney as Batman.

Was Keanu playing Constantine bigger?

>Schwarzenegger is not bigger than Jack Nicholson.

Depends on how you define the nebulous trait of "big-ness" of an actor. In terms of box office numbers and pop culture classics, Schwarzenegger is about as big as it has ever gotten despite his limited acting talent.

>Stupid Thread is stupid

No, Sir Anthony Hopkins is even legit Knighted by the Queen of England.

there is an abnormal concentration of knights in capeshit.

Does Orson Wells voicing Unicron count?

As far as actors with previously established careers go, very few can match up with Jack Nicholson in terms of scale. Patrick Stewart would probably be the only person who could claim to be more valuable, on account of his recurring roles as Prof. Xavier.

On the other hand, the number of people that of had a resurgence in their careers as a result of a successful comic book movie seems to be growing regularly.

Stewart is almost exclusively known for Captain Picard and Professor X.
Samuel L Jackson (Nick Fury in various Avengers films), Bruce Willis (Hartigan in Sin City), Tommy Lee Jones (Agent K in M.I.B., Colonel Phillips in Captain America), and Robert Redford (Alexander Pierce in The Winter Soldier) all outweigh him.

Are you kidding? Schwarzenegger is not only taller then him, im pretty sure he has more body mass then he does.

So...this is a pretty stupid question.

Moron

I love these threads cause everybody thinks they know what they're talking about but nobody actually does

It's because who is "bigger" is incredibly vague and almost impossible to define. It's like when Sup Forums gets in arguments over who is the most "iconic"

Marlon. Jor-El. C'mon people.

>he has more body mass
Well if that's how we're scoring it, the Orson Wells is unbeatable.

Yeah niggas, I'm pretty sure fucking Vito Corleone outweights most of the actors posted here.

At the time when Clooney was Batman, he didn't have a huge career. Outside of his ER gig he wasn't a hugely known star.

Marlon Brando

Ben Affleck is Batman.
He's got oscars and shit

Jack Nicholson started acting in 1956. He worked continuously from that time through his work on Batman in 1989. Hightlights include Terms of Endearment, The Shining, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

He had been nominated for an Oscar 9 times, winning twice prior to his 1989 role.

Sir Ian McKellen also started on film in 1964, though had previously been a stage actor.

Prior to his initial role as Magneto in 2000, his major film roles included Gods and Monsters, Last Action Hero, and Six Degrees of Separation. Much of his early career was spent in England. He had not earned any major American film awards prior to his X-Men film work.

Patrick Stewart also began acting on film in 1964. His most notable roles prior to X-Men included Star Trek, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, and Moby Dick. He had earned an Oscar nomination, and won an Emmy for his role in Moby Dick prior to X-men.

Samuel L. Jackson began working on film in 1972. His major roles prior to Iron Man include Kill Bill Vol. 2, The Incredibles, Star Wars, Die Hard with a Vengence, Pulp Fiction, Jurassic Park, Patriot Games, Goodfellas, Coming to America, and School Daze. He earned an Oscar for Pulp Fiction, and received three Golden Globe nominations prior to his work in Iron Man.

Unless someone can name someone more prolific, I'd say Jack has the competition licked. Longer career with more awards prior to his cape role, and it was at a time when cape movies weren't a thing.

>is OP the biggest faggot

>are a bunch of fucking children in this thread?

Sup Forums i mean, /cotv/ is quickly becoming an more fucking horrible board than it was already

Will Smith as Suicide Squad in the hit DC movie Jared Leto and his Little Rascals.

You realize Men in Black was a comic movie, right?

>Tommy Lee Jones (Agent K in M.I.B., Colonel Phillips in Captain America)

Dude was Two-Face too, don't forget Batman Forever

Speaking of: I don't think ANYBODY was bigger in the 90s than Jim Carrey, and he was the Riddler.

Marlon Brando began acting on film in 1949. His major roles prior to his 1978 role in Superman include parts in The Godfather, On the Waterfront, A Streetcar Named Desire, and Last Tango in Paris. He earned 2 Oscars, and was nominated a total of 7 times prior to his role in Superman. He also earned 5 Golden Globes out of 7 nominations prior to 1978.

Ben Affleck began acting on film in 1981, Prior to working in Daredevil in 2003, he was in Pearl Harbor, Reindeer Games, Shakespear in Love, Good Will Hunting, Mallrats, and Dazed and Confused. He earned no awards as an actor prior to Daredevil, though he did earn an Oscar for best screenwritting for Good Will Hunting, and an Emmy for best screenplay, also for Good Will Hunting.

While Marlon Brando does have the advantage of having just come off of a huge event in the Godfather, and was more liked by the Academy. If anyone can claim being a bigger force than Jack before getting into cape films, it'd be Brando. No whether or not you count Jor-El as a leading role equal to the Joker is a different debate.

Tommy Lee Jones started acting on film in 1970. His work prior to 1995's Batman Forever include Natural Born Killers, The Fugitive, JFK, and Rolling Thunder. He won 1 out of 2 Oscar nominations, 1 out of 3 Golden Globe nominations, and 1 out of 2 Emmy nominations prior to 1995.

Jim Carrey began acting on film in 1980. His roles prior to The Mask include Once Bitten, Earth Girls are Easy, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, and Dumb and Dumber. He earned no Oscars, but did get a Golden Globe prior to his first cape role.

Red hot for sure, but all of his big roles hit between 1993 and 1995. He really didn't have any legacy prior to his early to mid 90's explosion.

Marlon Brando - Jor-el
Jack Nicholson - The Joker
Robert Redford- Alexander Pierce
Gene Hackman- Lex Luthor
Orson Wells - Unicron

Iron man 3.
Sir Ben Kingsley.

He's Fucking sexy beast.

Sir Anthony hopkins is on same tier

Jack niclson os good but not on their level.

Like magneto vs galactus

Is he really such a big guy?

lol jack nicholson is absolutely on their level, or higher.

Probably not, but he's still my favorite Joker.

You're out of your mind.
Jack Nicholson is basically a character actor. A good one, but still.

Ben Kingsley can act. So can Anthony hopkins. They can actually act like they're different people.
Nicholson is always Nicholson. Just different names
Prove me wrong

And let's not forget Hugh Jackman - Wolverine.

>don't forget Batman Forever
What a cruel thing to say...

>best actor in comic movie thread
>no one even mentions gary oldman
>he player a midget
>a
>Fucking
>midget

Y'all niggas is playin. Y'all playin

>Schwarzenegger is not bigger than Jack Nicholson.

>There are people who actually believe this

In the 90s Hollywood to the whole world was Jim Carrey and Arnold Schwarzenegger movies and nothing else

>He is such a big actor that he had the S symbol retconned to be the family crest of el just so that he could wear it for teh movie

No other actor could have made such an impact

Daniel Day-Lewis

Meryl Streep

>So can Anthony hopkins
No.

How are you rating actors as 'biggest'? Are we going to bust out the fucking spreadsheets with gross boxoffice stats and worldwide audience recognition or some shit?

Transformers: The Movie had such a crazy cast.

lol just google "Anthony Hopkins awards"

I don't think Jackman was really relevant before Xmen. He wasn't even the first choice, his casting was a lucky mistake

Have you even seen movies?
Because this is either the worst b8 ever (in that case kuDos for the (you)) or you clearly don't know what your talking about. Hopkins is a boss.
Plus he was great in Thor

BIGGEST. HOLLYWOOD. ACTOR.

Kinsley and Hopkins are silly British men who can play criminals pretty well. This isn't the ''best actor'' argument, this is who is a bigger movie star, and at no point COMBINED were those two men bigger than Jack.

Also, I can assure you, both of those men would kill for half of Jack's charisma and presence. I'm laughing at you and your fedora.

Anthony Hopkins has been playing one guy, Anthony Hopkins, for 30+ years.

You are, literally, fucking classless, tasteless morons mistaking a British accent for acting ability.

>Orson Welles
What? Ok we have a winner here.

Paul Newman is dead, and not a bigger star than Jack Nicholson.

>mistaking a British accent for acting ability
That's what people tend to do. Just look at all the talentless British/Scottish assholes people unironically call "good actors"

There is no behavioral similarity at all between Hannibal Lecter and Odin. You've probably never even seen him play Hitchcock, Hitler, Dickens, or Claudius. You're just talking out your ass.

Sam is better known than Stewart, but he's not a bigger name. Patrick Stewart being in LOGAN is a bigger deal today than if Sam got to play a part in INFINITY WARS. Sam appears in far too many movies and has no recognition as being a great actor. What they both share is a certain amount of fan favorite status, but even here, Stewart would outweigh everyone you listed, except for maybe Willis and he's more of a fan favorite in general (a bit like Alec Baldwin) than say a genre favorite. More people would crowd a hall at Comic Con with Stewart than would for Sam or Willis, for example.

It's weird how we've yet to see Jackie Chan in capeshit.

He's gonna be in the LEGO Ninjago movie.

....who did he play? Eggman?

What comic book movie was Tom Hanks in?

He voiced Unicron

Road to Perdition

>In the 90s Hollywood to the whole world was Jim Carrey and Arnold Schwarzenegger movies and nothing else

Forgetting Tom Cruise and Bruce Willis.

that's because to be a knight, you just have to be marginally famous and any foreign character has a british accent.

Nicolas Cage as Ghost Rider. Prove me wrong.

Big Daddy too.

Tom Hardy is a pretty big guy.

Gary Oldman is an underrated actor. He just doesn't have the boyish looks for a hoarde of Fangirls to pressurise the Oscar committee into donating him an award.

Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich, and Helen Mirren in Red.

he was the only white cast member in the hit ensemble sketch comedy tv series in living colour (think saturday night live with wayans + other niggers). ironically it meant that he got the most screen time because they needed the token white guy in a lot of scenes.

Uh...?

i agree, box office gross is a better metric than # of awards. btw, tom hanks and tom cruise are the #1 and #2 money makers.

Jack Nicholson is the most decorated by far.

Denzel Washington, Gene Hackman, and Michael Caine would be up there too.

I think putting together some sort of respectability/box office performance/career longevity formula would be a great fit here. Respectability would be calculated by the sort of roles they chose and number of award nominations/wins.

If we go by box office performance alone we have to sort out which grosses are actually because of the star or if they were just an added value element in a killer concept + star. Not to mention whether or not we should include supporting roles in the overall total. That's before we get to the facts like Morgran Freeman outgrossing both Tom Hanks and Tom Cruise.

The Star Wars comics technically started out before the film so Harrison Ford.

It was even the role of his life.

Only right answer.

Lol

you're all wrong and that is the hilarious part.

Jennifer Lawrence is tied with Meryl Streep for Academy nods and wins and she isn't even 30. She was also in Hunger Games and X-men.

Since Streep isn't in capeshit, there ya go.

Lawrence reached huge as fuck star-status following First Class tho.

She was big before she entered her first x-men movie, remember Hunger games came before x-men.

I'm sorry what?

you seriously didnt just claim that Nicholson is a bigger star/actor than Paul fucking Newman did you? cuz that would be pretty embarassing.

That was my first thought, or Burgess Meredith voicing Golobulus in GIJOE movie. who also was the Penguin in Batman 66

Paul Newman, dipshit.

imdb.com/name/nm0000056/awards

hes quit big
the best live action Kingpin

i still find it hard to grasp that Marvel owns MIB, have they even done anything with it after buying Malibu?

Google says otherwise. But still, not the same star power as others in this thread before joining a superhero flick.

They don't want to give Sony free publicity. Just like why there's no solo Hulk movies, because they would share profits with Universal.