What happened to animation blocks?

What happened to animation blocks?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RryI7JJ2GHQ
youtu.be/RryI7JJ2GHQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The internet and Netflix.

I'd say channels like Cartoon Network and Nick killed animation blocks.

Why wait for specific times like Saturday Morning to watch cartoons, when there are now channels that provide cartoons daily?

They changed the laws letting advertisers sell directly to children.

"Why would we want to show cartoons when that airtime can be used to show infomercials?" All TV Executives

If I had to guess probably something similar that happened to Saturday morning cartoons

youtube.com/watch?v=RryI7JJ2GHQ

youtu.be/RryI7JJ2GHQ

>when there are now channels that provide cartoons daily?

is right. Even the channels that play cartoons all day don't necessarily play the new ones kids want to see. Once they're older than 4-5 they actually give a shit.

And with the internet, they don't have to wait until a specific time. It's just there, ever present. The concept of "tuning in" is dead.

It all became TTG marathon blocks.

fpbp. TV is dead, get ready to feel like nostalgic old faggots when your kids (well maybe not kids... but younger relatives) laugh uncontrollably when you tell them about watching cartoons as a child
>wow grandpa, you could only watch cartoons at certain times of day?
>and you had to wait a WEEK for the next episode?

>kids won't even have to wait
>they won't even have time to let their imagination go wild with insane theories and fanart
Jesus Christ they're killing everything

It still takes time to make shows. They have more than enough time to sperg out in between 6+ months waits for season 2

Just wait until the computers are writing, animating and synthesising the sound a few seconds before it's being streamed, and if the viewing figures are good it just keeps going until people stop watching.

But most cartoons are informecials about toy products anyways.

I want everyone in this thread to recognize the very last one.
Vortexx

RIP

there is literally no content on either

>there are no cartoons on the internet
Where do you get all your cartoons, user?

Animation hasn't and will never be profitable. Toylines are their only redeeming factor for a network executive. Everyone was trying to get the next GI Joe or Transformers. But the toy market tanked and animation tanked with it.

Also anime, why spend millions to make something new when you could make a cheap translation and save money?

The creator of Animaniacs said Pokemon killed everything. Highest rated show and they got it for free. No point making new animation after that. You'll notice more and more anime being brought into programing blocks until it was 100% anime and eventually canceled.

It amazes me how Fox kept trying to keep saturday morning cartoons alive with a block that kept dying repeatedly

Legislation passed saying that broadcast television aimed at children needed to be like 50% educational in content

Product placement, toyetic shows, and otherwise advertising to children on broadcast television became heavily regulated and mostly banned

Animation became too expensive to produce in America, and the costs were finally starting to rise in Japan, a common outsourcing destination, as well

By the end of the 90s cable television was available in most homes, vastly lowering the marketshare of broadcast networks

Cable networks were free of the rules enforced on broadcast networks

Hanna-Barbera, a company who once steadily supplied cartoon block schlock to the masses every saturday morning became Cartoon Network

I was more talking about before those services. Animation blocks seemed to be dying before streaming took off the way it did.

I remember tuning into it at one point to watch Yugioh for old time's sake.

>and you had to wait a WEEK for the next episode?

God damn I hate Netflix and their hype-destroying, anti-social binge releases. And I'm a fucking shut-in.

When I cancelled I called to make sure they knew I wasn't quitting because of the price hike, but because of that shit. And the CSR I spoke to mentioned that they actually heard that complaint a lot.

So there might be hope.

>cable becomes affordable and more mainstream
>24/7 cartoon channels exist
why bother paying out the ass for licensing that doesn't guarantee viewership? if people can get cartoons all day for a cheap price, why would they bother with free tv channels that have cartoons for 2-3 hours on weekends and maybe on weekdays if they are lucky?

Bump

People keep saying this and I want to call bullshit. First of all, Netflix and streaming weren't that big when Saturday blocks still existed, and not many kids knew about torrenting sites so it's basically a non-factor and akin to saying "video games killed Saturday morning shows". Vortexx died around 2012 I think, that was when Netflix decided to try of the idea of original shows

And secondly, as a kid I used to watch Saturday morning shows alongside Nick and CN. Why? Because contrary to the "kids don't have to wait till Saturday mornings bs" there were some shows those networks simply didn't carry or didn't have the newest episodes of at the time, Pokemon didn't start airing on CN until give or take 2003 and at that point it was Advanced Generation, and CN was playing catch up with the original series, same goes for shows like Power Rangers, Yugioh, Digimon and the like. I chose to watch Kids WB instead of Toonami Morning Sun despite how much I desperately wanted to watch both but couldn't.

And finally there's the "educational programming" bit. Let me ask you, did the thought of Bill Nye the Science Guy make you groan? How about Magic School Bus? No? Because they were still well put together shows that had a lot of effort behind them. Kids aren't that picky, educational or not they still caught plenty of attention.

Cable more common and even if you didn't have it you probably have Netflix or some app

He probably was talking about most cartoons on YouTube with die due to the change. The safest way to use YouTube successful is to not make orginal content

Toylines pretty much dried up so even if they were just breaking even with the shows, they weren't profitable enough to bother keeping.

So what, in your opinion, DID kill animation blocks if you don't think any of the things you've listed were factors?

>tfw this channel is now a shell of what it once was
>You will never again experience YTV's golden era

Why even live.

I'm no expert, but I think the answer is simple enough. Networks didn't want to pay for them anymore and gave them the axe, and it would be cheaper to fill that space with whatever backlog or infomerical they have.

And the justification are these reasons above. Again, I'm no expert, but it makes more sense to me than "CN killed Saturday Mornings"

>tfw I feel like I was born in the wrong country
>never had a chance to experience YTV at all
I don't want to feel this

The government started cracking down on networks forcing them to put on live action garbage to meet the education requirements for TV for kids

Disney bought Saban (fucking over Fox, who used Saban for the bulk of their programming)

4Kids fucked up One Piece, killing it's reputation

The rise of Toon Disney/Nick Toons along with the continued success of Nick and Cartoon Network to produce new shows for their network, meant that most new animation being made was going straight to cable. Also, cable was showing anime largely uncut, meaning showing anime on Saturday/Sunday mornings was more of a huge pitfall since fans were more used to seeing it uncut (and in the case of One Piece, it was fucked up so badly that it killed the rep of the one company still putting out anime on non-cable TV).

Also Disney started putting live action shows on their Saturday morning block/pulling all original cartoons for Toon Disney and only showing reruns of cable first run shows on weekends. Case in point, Power Rangers under Disney aired first on Toon Disney THEN a month later on ABC.

>the last episode of Zexal to air before Vortexx shut down was called "Darkness Dawns"
>they didn't even get to finish the shows run before having to start it all over on Nicktoons

Cheaper to show animal shows

Is this Saber hoping someone will post his video?

Bump

Your pissy call to netflix isn't going to stop binge watching

I'm not hitting the clickbait, but it was just one thing after another between 98-ish and the end of the 00s.
>blocks getting fucked over by rights changing hands
>cable becoming more and more common
>government regulations tightening to force educational television
>those same regulations being loosened at the wrong time so channels could drop their dying kid's blocks
>cartoons becoming too expensive to make
>anime pushing out cartoons
>the anime bubble popping when it was the only thing supporting the last few blocks
>the internet

No one thing really killed them. Everything was stacked against them at the time.

Disney didn't buy Saban, just the rights to the franchises (Like PR and Digimon)

Bump

cable and the FCC's mandates on E/I programming

I had that bushwacker.

lol, it was very cheaply made.

and yeah, I remember distinctly things starting to change a lot when pokemon hit the scene. It was like a double, or rather even triple whammy of Pokemon being a legit well done game, the TCG being relatively cheap and accessible for lots of kids to burn money on, and the cartoon itself actually having some heart and quality to it.

i mean, there's a reason why /vp/ exists.

Exosquad and Beastwars were the last actual good sync-up of toy and toon to grace the airwaves. in the sense that both the toys and the shows were great.

He has a point though. On-demand content and Binge-watching culture has encouraged entitlement like nothing and only reinforces the notion that people will gladly veg out to hours of the same content. Thus we get marathons of TTG all day.