ITT: Mistakes in the history of comics.

I'll start with the biggest one.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Implosion
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No, I will start

I win

>No one's posted the Clone Saga.
If they never bothered to try and say Ben was the real Peter and just went ahead with their initial plans, Peter would be the first major superhero to be retired in a good way and legacy characters would be seen and approached entirely differently.

It ruined Spider-Man and any possibility of an evolving status quo forever.

not letting Aunt May stay dead the first time

What, back in the 60's?

>Mistakes in the history of comics.

all of it, from the very begining

>AC1
>"The Beginning"

Oh user.

Why is Spider-Man much more consistently poorly written than his peers?

bigger character = more editorial meddling and shit
and spidey is probably the biggest marvel character

>Not Deathmate

>lets have story where one of our more preminant female characters is essentially raped by her own son and is written out of the book by getting married to the adult version of said son and shipped off to another dimension or something

Pretty sad in retrospect.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Implosion

Almost everything good about Spider-Man is execution, he's not a high concept character like Batman or Superman. As such, writing him servicably requires more effort.

That worked fine when he was bi-monthly at most, but Marvel eventually had him star in stories nearly weekly. This, combined with lots of DC/Marvel writers barely being competent or planning shit and in-fighting, led to a long string of bad stories.

Marvel's response to that was to try and distill an iconic Peter, like DC did with Batman and Superman, but, again, he's not high concept. There is no "iconic" Spider-Man. He's a timeline, a constantly evolving figure. So instead you get a manchild Peter and shit stories struggling to fight the very progression that defines the character.

Basically, Spider-Man's been way shittier for the last 25 years than he was for his first 30 because of bad writers, writer unfriendly deadlines, and marketing guys not understanding that Peter Parker =/= Bruce Wayne.

The Cancelled Comic Cavalcade covers are neat, though.

fair enough, capeshit

Spider-Man was initially supposed to age along with time and more character oriented, but Marvel has tried turning him into something he's not with the same old comic book shenanigans.

>ITS A "LETS RUIN THE PURPOSE OF THE THREAD VIA SHITPOSTING"

Nu52 really is on a level of its own. I went from a DC fan to buying zero titles. Can't imagine what else could have done that other than them throwing the whole universe I loved into trash.

You guys forgot the biggest bait in comics.

They committed seppuku and still can't come back from it

Rebirth.

>New 52
>Biggest mistake
It wasn't good, but you're dumb for that lol

>Hey, Peter Parker being married makes him unrelatable! We have to change that!
>Peter Parker is now a multimillionaire CEO who fell into that position because he had his brain swapped with a supervillain.
>He'll also (apparently) soon be the guy who LOST all that money and is broke and struggling again. Because relatable.
>Because a family where the parents work multiple jobs while trying to raise a child with unique learning requirements ISN'T relatable.
>And also because bringing in 8-15 year old girls as new comics fans with the Sensational Spider-Girl or whatever they could have called it would have made Peter "unrelatable" too.
>Bendis and Quesada are still employed after following this line of "reasoning."

Even if the new 52 was shit, it needed to happen

DC got stale, uninteresting and basically impenetrable to newer readers, even if most of it was garbage it still opened a lot more opportunities for new stories that couldnt be done before

plus honestly i'd take crappy new ideas over boring reused ones over and over

What does Bendis have to do with any of that?

Nothing. Probably just have Bendis on the brain. I don't mind Miles as an idea, but damn if he isn't written terribly.

>Convergence
>Not a mistake
What

user, come on.
It had nothing to do with relatability. We all know that.

A lot of the tie-ins were fantastic

Everything about this post is wrong.

It's at least right about DC being shit before New 52.

Johns

It's shit but it doesn't matter so who cares. It only took 2 months and then we got a bunch of good DCYou books right after.

World's End also exists and is terrible.

At least they brought back Ginger Wally and let Black Wally be his own character.

It's not like Marvel making Iceman gay..

New 52 for better or worse got me into buying floppies.

Grant Morrison doing Action Comics #1 was cool enough that I went to a store and bought it. Any by the time that series ended I was reading about 5 or 6 books a month.

I didn't really like that they "erased" shit, but I was only reading Batman / occasional JLA stories and I generally consider everything to be canon. Marvel NOW 1.0 was more of what I wanted out of the New 52 as far as talent and providing jumping on points. Of course that eventually went to shit when they scared away the talent and won't stop relaunching.

Marvels sjw movement
Comics Code Authority
Greg Land
Bendis

>Comics Code Authority
DING DING DING DING DING

Fuck Wertham. I hope you're burning in hell, you piece of shit.

OOh EDGY! LOOK Everyone he has a DIFFERENT opinion on Rebirth! See...No one cares

New 52 was DC's biggest mistake.

sana amanat or whatever her name is was marvel's biggest mistake

Wertham was against the CCA. It was 100% congress' fault.

Did the guy with the bow and arrow ever even get his own book?

>but I was only reading Batman

And that's why you didn't mind. Batman and Green Lantern were left alone while EVERYTHING else was COMPLETELY changed.

His cunting book literally made it happen, though.

I liked them. I'm not going to defend it, but I still enjoyed it. Not all of it, but I found it pretty refreshing while still being familiar.

Fuck you drone

THANK YOU! All these fucking children don't remember the horror of the Clone Saga.

No it didn't. The congressman who created the CCA was related to the publisher of Archie Comics and started the whole thing to justify expanding government powers. Wertham was only ever brought into the mess because they were looking for someone they could pass off as an "expert witness" who'd say what they wanted during a senate hearing. Then Wertham took the stand and basically outright opposed censorship and that was the last time they used him since he wasn't supporting their narrative. He had literally NOTHING to do with the senate hearing beyond that.

The reality is that his book was an obscure flop and no one had ever heard of him until he testified. But he's a convenient scapegoat that deflects blame away from the political interests that were actually responsible.

I liked it for the most part, but New 52 fucking ruined Lobo. I have collected all the Lobo monthlies and all his appearances up until the n52. Then this shit here... unforgivable.

I couldn't find a picture of Bendis and Slott together, but definitely that.

Oh boohoo, he's already been replaced.

>a picture of bendis.jpg

The Big Three of capes are Batman, Superman, and Spider-man. Of those, Spider-man is unique in that his entire draw is that he's a bullied down-on-his-luck teenage nerd who becomes a superhero and balances his two lives.

Batman is James Bond, a detective, a crazy person, a vigilante, and a swashbuckler. Superman is a space hero, a crime fighter, a mythic hero, and a sci-fi explorer. Different people favor different aspects but you don't see the kind of blowback you do when people deviate from the Spider-man formula.

He's not a versatile character because fans don't want him to be versatile. They want him to be a self insert.

And thank God for that.

But the CCA wasn't a government authority.

Does deciding to put a live-action adaptation of Preacher on TMC instead of a network like HBO/Showtime/STARZ count?
Seriously, why the fuck would I want a watered-down version of Preacher? I'd rather not have one at all.

>Wertham was only ever brought into the mess because they were looking for someone they could pass off as an "expert witness" who'd say what they wanted during a senate hearing

You left out "had a personal grudge against another psychologist named Charles Moulton Marston, the creator of Wonder Woman"

Hold on there champ, lets not call the entirety of New52 shit. As a whole its certainly a mixed bag, and I think the biggest problem/strength it had was trying to do different things with each title. Aquaman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, all solid books. But perhaps the best example that embodies the New 52 would be Wonder Womans book when Azz was on it.

Azz's Wondy was shit and only casuals who never read WW before like it. It's the Civil War of Wonder Woman.

user the shit Azz's Wondy gets usually boils down to "not muh". Its really more of an elseworlds if anything. Im not saying its the strongest run on the character, and I dont agree with the daughter of Zeus retcon, but it was still an enjoyable arc for what it was

What the fuck is he doing? Did Lois just break up with him?

In the story a bunch of gangsters kidnapped Lois, so he crashed their car.

I could understand what they were doing with the character (embrace the modern pretty-boy villain like Lobo was a pastiche of the 90s gritty characters), but killing off the original one was dumb. I wish they went with the writer's original proposed idea of having a buddycop series of both Lobos together. The run itself wasn't even bad either, and him eventually turning into the original one at the end was interesting.

New 52 fixed that piece of shit that is classic Lobo

>A lot of the tie-ins

Good to see that you enjoyed the chocolate sprinkles in the poop you just ate

Hey, New 52 got me and a lot of new readers into comics. It helped DC get much needed money too if I'm not mistaken.

>Poorly delivered and heavy fisted on the throats of the audience
>The most annoyng and souless gimmick in capeshit that also infected a lot other forms of media (dead, but not really), Sherlock may also be to blame a for this a little
>Important event = Classic/good

Which they wasted on bad movies and less new material!

Yes Hawkeye did get a book.

Can we toss in the 1990s as a whole? Between the speculator bubble and everyone burning out the territory the industry was permanently fucked.

you mean that font choice?

Not really the comic itself, more how it would influence everything since

You literally have it backwards. Self inserts are versatile in of it themselves because they need to accommodate the different people who see themselves as the character. The problem with Marvel's handling of Spiderman is they want to stick to a particular idea of the character and never letting him grow. Spideyfags are generally more accepting to change than Bats and Supesfags because Batman and Superman are more of an ideal while Spiderman seemed more like a companion. Some of the worst Spiderman stories are a result of editorials trying to "preserve the character".