Animation is a medium that allows much more than live action, even to this day

>animation is a medium that allows much more than live action, even to this day
>you can tell many fascinating stories, the ones that would be too expensive to pull off in live action form
>adult animation possibilities are practically limitless
>well fuck all that shit time to make ANOTHER HILARIOUS SATIRE CARTOON ABOUT A FAMILY/A BUNCH OF SOME ASSHOLES or ANOTHER ULTRA VIOLENCE GORE SEX BLOOD EDGY KEWL FEST
Why?

Because the late 70s and the 80s are over.

I'm not sure what point you're debating exactly

bump or whatever.

bump

watch anime

Anime is not much better in this regard. They just have different kinds of demographics to pander to.

Lets face it, animation as a whole has peaked and will never reach its full potential.

The only way you're going to get adult Western animation in an episode-based format is if companies like Netflix or Amazon foot the bill. TV networks have become much more risk-averse. Samurai Jack is having its rating bumped up on Adult Swim, so there's that, but I feel it's more an exception.

Regarding more mature Western animation in theaters, I feel that people will learn all the wrong lessons from films like Sausage Party. It would've been better if a different film was made, something animated that was the equivalent of a PG-13 summer blockbuster. If a film like that became successful, it (and hopefully more films like it) would likely be the bridge in the gap between kid-friendly animation (that has some stuff in it for adults) and adult animation that focuses on mature themes but doesn't go full-on with blood/gore/sex etc.

Because not only is animation already expensive, it's getting harder and harder to make money out of it. It's safer to make something that already works.

Anime is just a shitton of cliches too. I'm watching ACCA right now, but a lot of weebs hate it because it isn't standard fast-paced supernatural shit.

Western adult animation has existed for decades, just not as series.

Animation is extremely expensive so you gotta do something where you make your money back. So you gotta have the largest mass appeal.

If you want good animation go be an investment banker, make millions, then fund it yourself.

this is where anime excels, but they still do a lot of dumb shit

bump

>google ACCA
>based on the manga by Natsume Ono
well im onboard, how is it?

Did you just watch 2 cartoons and decide this encompassed all of animation?

How come traditional animation has never had a cheaper alternative marketed?

If people can live with manga being in black and white, why not animation being pencils only? Or without overpaid voice actors?

Adult=/=smart.

Flash was supposed to be that, but, you know...

>>animation is a medium that allows much more than live action, even to this day
Barely?
>why isn't animation applied to well-written adult-targeted content
Adult animation is called CGI.

>animation being pencils only
Because that's both more expensive and time consuming than flash animation?
Don't tell me you convinced yourself colouring is what brings traditional animation to its high price

>Barely?
Could something like Weirdmageddon be made with a budget of a TV series and not look like total shit?

name 5 adult cartoons that have some actual idea behind them and not just jump on one of the two bandwagons
the only ones that come to my mind right now are 12oz. Mouse and BoJack

Could something like weirdmageddon be marketed towards adults?

Colouring, a separate person doing in-betweens, clean-up etc...

They all take time and several people have to be paid to do it.

>I want choppy animation
Then what's the point?
It's a purely visual medium, and you want to cheap out on the visuals?

You are why family guy exists.

>the only ones that come to my mind right now are 12oz. Mouse and BoJack
we'll call this myopic at best

Because the vast majority of the public only see's animation as children's stuff, as a result adult animation severely overcompensates the "maturity" to the point where it ironically becomes juvenile

Simply put, there's pretty much no market for genuine adult animation in the west, or at the very least in America since France seems to turn out some decent stuff now and again.

i'm not seeing any examples

There are a lot more variety in anime than in cartoons, so at least you have more chances of finding something you like

Serialized serious adult animation doesn't have a broadstream appeal. Something like Game of Thrones would work much better animated. Battles wouldn't be limited by the budget of episodes. But the appeal of it would be much smaller than the live-action. That's just how television audiences are. They refuse to take animation seriously. I wish there was more room for that kind of storytelling. It's why I think many people get into anime. The animated medium can do so much more than satirical family sitcoms and the Japanese do that.

Throw in Moral Orel, Rick and Morty (it's edgy and adult but also weird and sci-fi), and... I dunno, Samurai Jack comes out next month, The Critic was more of a city sitcom styled piece than the Family Guy - Simpsons - South Park Trifecta of recent years.

More specifically, even adult animation has to be "funny". Even shows like Bojack and Moral Orel and Rick and Morty and Venture Bros are in a sense obligated to be inherently comedic, because otherwise it wouldn't work.

To compare with Glorious Nippon Animation Folded Over 100 Times, not every anime needs to be funny. A show can be wacky, silly, awesome, but not necessarily funny. You don't need to have a laugh out loud moment to make the show watchable.

I honestly think that it'd take some sort of cultural Japan-America exchange for serious western animation to take off. The odds are just too stacked against us.

There's a ton of adult animated movies that aren't either things said in the OP.
>12 oz mouse
>>>>>>>>>>>>