What would have happened if Coraline had let the Other Mother sew the buttons?

What would have happened if Coraline had let the Other Mother sew the buttons?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeching_(boys)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

She would have eventually gotten turned into a ghost.

Something I've just noticed, two of the Other Mother's three previous victims were girls, and Coraline would've been her fourth. Does the Other Mother have a preference for girls?

other mother would get swiftly bored of her and would have recycled her into a puppet monster to lure other kids before coraline eventually went full ghost

you can't tell me that other father and other whitey had that much free will only to just be puppets created from scratch, they had souls, SOULS, so they must have been previous victims as well whose SOULS were not saved in the end

Could be, but it also just might've been that those were the children that happened to inhabit the house.

>Does the Other Mother have a preference for girls?

In some of the concept art, all three of ghosts are girls. But in the book at least one of the ghosts are boys, though in the book IIRC the ghosts do not appear distinct so Coraline bases it on their voices.

The Other Father and Other Wybie have more free will because they were created to be companions to Coraline and to love her (Other Father) and make her happy (Other Wybie). The other ... Other people were just to entertain her.

I'm guessing out of those, the one in the middle was changed to a boy, and the one on the right was the older ghost girl.

funny how that plan went to shit almost immediately (other father) and ended up directly foiling her (other wybie)

other mother was pretty stupid for a trans-dimensional pocket universe diety

Maybe it's because she doesn't understand real love herself, so when she created them to love Coraline, it backfired because they (out of real love) tried to help her instead.

It would hurt like hell

It's a shame that resetting the film in Oregon meant they couldn't make any of the ghost children come from too much of a distant time period.

but why not immediately dispose of them and try again? she clearly tries to torture them into submission to disastrous results

I guess the time it takes to make them is prohibitive, or it could be that they have some sort of SOUL juice inside them that's a finite resource and thus are made from SOULS of people she's caught before, maybe the parents of the previous children

I wonder if the ghost children hang out together in Heaven. I mean, they've technically spent more time with each other than with anybody else

In the book, the boy ghost recalls that when he was little, he had his hair in curls and was made to wear dresses, but when he got older, they cut it and put him in pants. Which was standard for boys.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeching_(boys)

Are you suggesting there's some other way to bring up a boy child?

uh yeah dude, men are supposed to have voluminous hair. the effects of testosterone make that intent clear
dresses.. eh, everyone can wear those, but tight-fitting cloth is unhealthy for vagina owners

Because when it gets to the point in the story point when they're either actively expressing sympathy for Coraline (don't waaaanna hurt ya) or helping her, there's no point in making new ones?

I wish they kept this dialogue in the film

>“And what is she going to do to me?” she said.

>The pale figures pulsed faintly; she could imagine that they were nothing more than afterimages, like the glow left by a bright light in your eyes, after the lights go out.

>“It doth not hurt,” whispered one faint voice.

>“She will take your life and all you are and all you care'st for, and she will leave you with nothing but mist and fog. She'll take your joy. And one day you'll awake and your heart and your soul will have gone. A husk you'll be, a wisp you'll be, and a thing no more than a dream on waking, or a memory of something forgotten.”

>“Hollow,” whispered the third voice. “Hollow, hollow, hollow, hollow, hollow.”

Did he? was that in the picnic scene? It's been a while since I read it

Everything disappeared and the Wich had more magic
My theory is that the magic wand are the remains of the dead kids bodies, she probably just lets them dehidratate to death since it's fast

I remember that in the comic one of them was actually a fae. That seemed very interesting to me.

That implied that the Other Mother was a cannibal

Going by the original book, what would take less time?
The wood used to seal the Other Mother's hand and the key in the well to rot or the Other Mother starving to death?

Did they say that explicitly that she was fae in the comic? In the book Coraline has a dream about the ghost children, and Coraline "could have sworn" that she saw the girl had butterfly-like wings but they never really give an explanation. I wonder if it was meant to imply that the Beldam targeted children in other magical worlds and not just Coraline's world.

coraline would be blind than either eaten or tossed into a room and forgotten where she will then starve to death in the dark

She was eating flowers as well
IIRC that's part of fae lore

IIRC, there's no implication that she's feeding on the children in the book in the same way that there is in the movie, so it's hard to go by the book in this case. I could be wrong though it's been a while.

In the movie, I'd say the Other Mother would be too weak or outright die before the wood rots away to where the hand could crawl out, because she doesn't even have the souls/eyes to keep her going anymore.

The ghost children clearly say that.
For a while she would have loved her, then lost interest and then eaten her, though it's not completely clear if literally or shed just devour her soul.

I definitely think she's supposed to be a fairy. Neil Gaiman did a partnership with a perfume company and sent them this description of the ghost children to help with the perfume concept

>“Well, I like the idea that it would contain flowers and flame and fairy things… but from so long ago that they've almost forgotten who they are. So it would be a ghost perfume….”

Interesting. In the concept art the "world behind the mirror" originally looked like the tunnel that led to the Other World, particularly towards the end of the film when you see toys and other discarded things inside.

How so?