Which was the bigger jump-the-shark moment for Rugrats?

Which was the bigger jump-the-shark moment for Rugrats?

I think Dil was because it was what lead to Kimmy.

The series went to SHIT after Dil, like everyone changed. I can't watch past season 3.

Why wasn't Dil able to talk to the other babies?

Brain damage.
Just like his VA.

Because that would entail more writing

They explained it on the 10th anniversary special.

"The main cast eventually started to act more like toddlers than babies, so we needed a character for actual baby jokes."

People weren't realizing that the cast was growing up

too young

....lmao fucking what
This isn't Hey Arnold, what the fuck are you talking about, the cast we're always adults.

Dil, but the series was declining after the animation change. Dil was the moment all of us realized that nuRugrats was going to be absolute shit forever.

Seasons 1 - 3 and the Hanukah special are still and will always be the definitive best episodes of the show.

Susie in season 3.

Season 3 was the worst period of Rugrats bar none.

Dil is more annoying as a character, but by the time Kimi was a thing, the show had gotten to the point where it was impossible for anyone over the age of 8 to watch it.

Because Phil and Lil dropped him on his head

I feel the biggest problem with post-Paris Rugrats is that most episodes were either complete retreads of older episodes "with Kimmy" or got stupidly elaborate on imagination sequences. Plus they really played up the baby aspect and I always felt like the adults were not as integrated into the stories as much anymore.

Lus didn't the episodes go to a shorter format to fit in extra shorts?

>Cool Hand Angelica
>The Legend of Satchmo
>Circus Angelicus
>The Baby Vanishes
>Farewell My Friend
>When Wishes Come True
>ANGELICA BREAKS A LEG AKA CHOCOLATE PUDDING
>Stu Gets a Job
>Home Movies
>THE MYSTERIOUS MR. FIEND
>Destination: Moon
>The Odd Couple
>Tommy and the Secret Club
>Under Chuckie's Bed
>Chuckie's Wonderful Life
>In The Dreamtime
>The Alien
>Pickles vs Pickles
>Kid TV
>No More Cookies
>Cradle Attraction

Suck my ass retard.

Also that babysitter character voiced by Amanda Bynes. Yeah, fuck that shit.

>Haven't watched Rugrats in years
>Recognize the episodes just by title alone
I guess I know what I'm going to be doing for the next week or so.

I use Hulu.

It's my go to sleep show but I have so much of it memorized now.

Just stop at season four.

Kimi had no real personality of her own, she was just R63 Tommy.

Angelica Breaks A Leg alone carries that entire season, but it has so many other great ones too, especially Stu Gets A Job and Home Movies.

Sup Forums must be letting retards post tonight.

It was just dummed down for little kids. The big stupid immigration sequences were a symptom of that, and probably also for toy sales.

What made the original Rugrats pre-animation shift so good was how it was written for kids AND adults. It had a very subtle, cynical type of humor that worked really well with the surrealist style, and that was probably because the writers wanted something to appeal to the parents too.

How come no one else had more kids between Rugrats and All Grown Up?

It's kind of weird, because I liked the rugrats movie, so dil was an alright addition. I liked Kimmy as a character, but when they were in the show it was undeniably shit. Maybe they were only ok movie characters? I feel like that first Rugrats movie would have been a good place to end the show on a good note.

I had a crush on Susie when I was a kid

rugrats movies had other newborns talking, dil's just retarded

Kimi is more fuckable, but Dill's VA is more fuckable.

End yourself, Tara.

Weird part is that Kimi was the only reason to watch All Grown Up

I recognized them too. This show was so damn good.

The Kwanzaa special. How much more PC can you be?

Never actually watched that, what's the general consensus?

Dil since Kimi was actually watchable in All Grown Up. Dil never contributed anything.

>Season 3 was the worst period of Rugrats bar none.

For the show or for the franchise? The latter I'd definitely argue against.

Nowhere near as memorable as the original. Everything charming about the babies gets thrown aside in favor of typical preteen dramas, like school, SO's and the occasional adventure and strained relationship.

Dammit, Tommy is a 10 year old, not a neurotic college film major.

Is this like the only cartoon where something in the show gets inserted after it appears in a movie for said cartoon?

Twice?

Not him, but he probably meant the characters themselves, not the VAs.

They still have the exact same personality they had as babies Wich I always found creepy for some reason
I mean do they remember being babies?

Angelica Breaks a Leg and The Mysterious Dr. Fiend literally make it the best season.

Almost every quotable Rugrats episode was in the first three seasons. I literally can't remember anything about AGU except that Stu used to be a disco king and he had some kind of gold necklace thingie.

Some of season 4 was okay, right?

The animation in Season 4 switched to these really bright, saturated colors against the muted palette in Seasons 1-3 and also Tommy's voice became annoyingly squeaky.

Especially considering, if I recall correctly, Tommy's grandparents getting controversial because they were "too stereotypical."

The Chanukkah special is still pretty funny. Every time somebody mentions Chanukkah, I quote "Ya gotta have the ECH to say it."

They switched to digital coloring in Season 4, right?

Season 6 I think? It was definitely after the movie.

The real jump-the-shark moment is when Spike and that poodle from the Paris movie spawned two poochies for the Pickles and Finsters to have. One of them even had an entire episode about what its name was going to be and it's retconned the very next episode (Pepper/Sparky).

I can understand why it's never brought up, I just found out about these episodes on The Splat.

But Rugrats is perfect

Just did a quick check (and by that, I mean I watched random episodes on KissCartoon), and can confirm that they switched to digital colors in season 6.

bump

Dil, because the Kimmy episodes were still good

... Does that puppy have a red mohawk?
Chuckie, what the fuck did you do?!

I think there were a couple episodes that showed them having some vague trauma-related memories from when they were like 3-4 years old, but no memories from the original show.

>Stu's home movies
>Grandpa calls Dr. Kervorkian

Even as a kid I wanted to bash Dil's brains in. I fucking hated that thing

>Stu and Deedee already have two
>Phil and Lil are twins
>Angelica is a cunt
>Chaz has his own and another

So either they didn't want more if you are not Drew or their kid is a little shitter and didn't want another one if you are Drew

Probably Dil because the series started going bad after that. Rugrats in Paris was pretty good, but I can only say it got worse after the introduction of Kimmie, to the point where it became fucking stupid.

They made a blood pact with moloch, obviously. I always felt like that adult circle of friends was a little creepy, a bit cult like. Bringing all their kids into one space to indoctrinate them together.

>The Legend of Satchmo
The trumpet player?

No, the monster

Dil. I thought Kimi was fine.

Kimi was them jumping the shark. Dil was them driving the boat full speed straight off Niagara Falls.

>Chuckie
Yeaa...ha.. Chuckie did it... of course! What a naughty child! I thought I raised him better...

The very definition of Mary Sue. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if Bynes wasn't such a horrid VA.

The episode with the baby duck and Dil grabs it and shoves it in his diaper.
>you can literally see the trauma on the duck's face as it realizes what's happening

Suzie.

Dil because having a character that the other babies can be senior to defeats the whole fucking concept of the show.

>"We started fucking up the writing so instead of trying to pull back we added a new character"

She only showed up like twice relax.

This fatass piece of shit.

This faggot right here is what made me truly realize that this series was dead. I was subtly aware of it before this, but this is when it really sank in.

The sad part is that I distinctly remember the creators discussing the series and being proud of "all the new directions and ideas" they had for the show. Thankfully, it was pretty much all said and done by this point.

Who the fuck is this

Their attempt at expanding the Rugrats universe into Angelica's days as a preschooler.

He looks like a bigger cuck than Chuckie

Yeah, well, you're not wrong.

I feel like Angelica cucks the both of them at the same time.

Well considering that she's not involved in a romantic relationship with either one,I don't see how she possibly could.

Senpai I didn't watch All Grown Up much, but it's clear where the tension was and who it was between.

Even in the earlier seasons there was a weird dynamic between her and Chuckie, even though it wasn't romance because, you know, babies.

>All Grown Up takes place when the core group is 9-10 with Angelica still being 12 at the start of it
>they were all acting like young teenagers

I don't know how hard it would have been to say they were all middle schoolers instead.

Dude if you remember though look at Hey Arnold.
Hey dealt with some SUPER deep shit despite being fourth graders. That's the same age range.

Also let's not forget Harold having a Bar Mitzvah episode, thereby making a 13 year old fourth grader.

I read this in his voice. There was nothing about your post that reminded me of him, but once I saw that fat ginger fuck, I couldn't stop.

Yeah I don't know why but with Hey Arnold that didn't really bug me. Maybe because the writing was better or felt more natural? All Grown Up was just a cash grab and like others said, the babies didn't change much from when they were younger.

>Harold having a Bar Mitzvah episode
wasn't harold a retard?

Oh no it's an unfair comparison, Arnold was fantastic. Like it's easy as fuck to forget how old they are if it wasn't for episodes that pointed it out.

I think All Grown Up COULD have been good but it tried to rely too much on it's core instead of evolving.

Simple answer is just that adults are shit at distinguishing various stages of adolescence to begin with, and they just bleed out further into other demographics as they search for new plotlines

....Nigga that's just rude.

Didn't you see the episode where he got test results switched with Helga, proving that he could be brilliant if he just applied himself?

nah
I meant in a sense that he was held back which is why a 4th grader is having his matzo ball soup party.

I know Roger from Doug was held back canonically, I don't think it was ever mentioned with Harold

I think they just needed a big kid but I have NO idea why they would have made him that old.

We already had Torvald, and Harold's age didn't bring anything new to the table, it was just an existential crisis episode that could have been done in a different way so it didn't make him way overage

Sauce episode?

I also marathon Doug when I'm bored and don't remember this

I don't think so, iirc he was that character that turned out to be really smart if he just tried. But he also wasn't being held back from missing too many days unless he skipped a lot.

At what point would the state step in to investigate that sort of thing? I mean, assuming the Bar Mitzvah thing wasn't just a plot hole that the writers ignored because reasons.

In the final episode he says he's done 6th grade 3 times

Fuck, I need to rewatch it.
Man that's a bad plothole, he does NOT pass as a 14 year old with that crowd.

Dill. The shark was already jumpped by the time Kimmy came on. Pre-Dill, the show was all about babies and how they saw the world. Tommy going to his mom's school, or being kidnapped, or learning about the story of Passover, etc..., and how his lack of context shaped his experiences. Post dill, there was a lot more imagination. You didn't have the same feeling of adventure.