ITT: When writers fail to learn the source material

ITT: When writers fail to learn the source material.

Case in point, Star Wars: Rebels makes the "Darksaber" the symbol of Mandalorian unification, instead of the helm of Mandalore

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Fs21QP1czZg?t=782
youtu.be/Fs21QP1czZg?t=13m18s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pic related, the actual artefact that is a symbol of Mandalorian unity.

ITT when dumb nerds fail to realize that everything in star wars outside the movies was thrown in the fucking trash can when disney bought the franchise

/Thread

Strange women lying in ponds distributing edgy helmets is no basis for a system of government.

...they literally brought back the 'black lightsaber'? And its a katana?

No, it was placed in Legends status.
Legends content is still quasi cannon, except for where it interferes with new content.

There was no reason to completely scrap everything - it's just a result of lazy writing.

Ayeup.
Also, Mandalorians are all Boba Fett wannabees, who maintain clan alliances, but for some reason make no mentions of the Crusades, Mandalore and completely replaced the Helm of Mandalore with the "darksaber" as the symbol of Mandalorian unity.

It doesn't fucking work that way.

It's non-canon, but exists as a resource for writers to pull ideas from when making new Canon stuff.

>it's still quasi-canon except for where it interferes with new content
No, user, that's not how it works. Everything is scrapped but can be brought back by Disney writers if they so desire.

>There was no reason to completely scrap everything
The Star Wars EU was an internally inconsistent mish-mash of mediocre and terrible and it absolutely had to be wiped out.

Yeah, it's great. I love it.

Yes it does you Mong.

It's quasi canon until it is contradicted by the films, TV show or new EU.
And even then it was only intended to be wiped out where there were inconsistencies - not for entire established sections of the universe to be wiped because of lazy writers.

The entire Mandalorian history was well established, had little to no inconsistencies, and carried over dozens of pieces of EU content.

What they've done for Rebels is lazy as shit.

>It's quasi canon until it is contradicted by the films, TV show or new EU.
Oh hey look Star Wars Rebels contradicted it

Guess it's not canon anymore, eh pal-o?

Yeah, you couldn't expect Lucasfilm to go full Nicean Council over 35 years of pulp sci-fi tie-ins and not have a clean, unconvoluted result.

Wiping out everything outside the movies and TCW was the best way to go forward. Everything is now informed by the events of George's Star Wars and much of the EU's inconsistencies were the result of an incomplete picture of pre-OT times.

>Harley laughing at the face of insanity.jpg

So why do they wear the helmets then?

>Guess it's not canon anymore, eh pal-o?
Sure, but it's lazy, inconsistent and boring compared to the established Legends content.

>Wiping out everything outside the movies and TCW was the best way to go forward. Everything is now informed by the events of George's Star Wars
And that's why it's so shit.
Most of the EU writers were hacks, but a decent number of them wrote shit a lot better than anything in the movies.
It'd be smarter for the writers to actually look at the Legends content and base their shit on what worked really well - The Mandalorians being probably the clearest established and well thought out part of the EU, it makes no logical sense why they would be retconned into pathetic ninnies.

They're big guys.

No one cared who they were until they put on the helmets.

ITT: When asshats fail to realize symbols change over the ages and artifacts can be lost and replaced by different ones

>It'd be smarter for the writers to actually look at the Legends content and base their shit on what worked really well
It really wouldn't. That's time and money wasted trying to appease an insignificantly small fanbase. Disney and Star Wars deal with fans on the level of billions of people.

dumb phoneposter

>giving a fuck about canon or continuity

I really hate you autists sometimes

dumb phoneposter

The source material isn't canon anymore, dumbfuck.

Hey is Blade Squadron: Jakku out yet?

The Helm of Mandalor was the symbol of unity among the Clans for 7000 years.
Why would it disappear from all Mandalorian knowledge to be replaced by a no name sword that somehow made it to production with a placeholder name - in a span of 50 fucking years no less.

So it's easier to completely rewrite an entire culture that had a massive impact on the Star Wars universe - than it was to scavenge the existing quality canon content?

But it's right there, it's well written and fleshed out - it takes away all the hard work - why replace it with bland inconsistent crap?

Except Clone Wars, Clone Wars became just as integral to Star Wars as the movies in Disney's new canon.

>he thinks the old mandalorian wank wasn't bland and inconsistent

lol

go back to your containment site

The Darksaber's just as ancient you butthurt Mandobaby.

>So it's easier to completely rewrite an entire culture that had a massive impact on the Star Wars universe - than it was to scavenge the existing quality canon content?
I don't understand how you can possibly not know that the answer to this question is yes.

It takes more time and thus more money to research and then write with a continuity editor than it takes to just start writing.

Because George was actively driving the Clone Wars series.

>old Star Wars lore
>could literally make anything up from book to book and it would fill into the pages of the every expanding, bloated dumb lore

>new Star Wars lore
>could literally make anything up and people would bitch how it somehow contradicts something now

>New canon.
>Only 100 years old in new canon - treats Mandalorians as a distinct species (Circa 1000 BBY) rather than an assortment of clans.
>As old as the 7000 year old helmet design and tradition.

>How dare the pope use the shroud as the new symbol to unite christians?! What happened to the holy grail? It's only been 10 years since we last saw it!!
user, please, this shit happens all the time IN REAL LIFE.

>straight up a beam katana

>1000 years old*

1000 years at the youngest, taken by Viszlas that wanted the first Mandalorian Jedi's saber to stay in the family instead of the Jedi Temple.

>Wiping out everything outside the movies and TCW was the best way to go forward.

The wipe wasn't the problem; the idea of going forward with every new addition being canon is. We just wound up with things like Luceno using Tarkin as a clown car to make a ton of unnecessary things canon again and that's going to be the case with a lot of works. People will just use the books as ways to bring stuff back in that they created or personally liked.

A few years down the road, they'll have to do another wipe.

No, definitively 1000 years old.
Built by the "First Mandalorian Jedi" - which is obviously something written by someone unfamiliar with the source material.
At 1000 BBY they were not a distinct species and their clan nature meant that anyone inducted into the Jedi order was inducted at an age at which they were definitive not Mandalorians.

the only source material is the movies

nobody cares about your fanfiction

I hear that's because it was just going to be a vibroblade, but Lucas complained that a regular sword shouldn't be able to clash with a lightsaber and thus it had to be a lightsaber.
So they just took the sword design they already had and made the blade light.

TCW counts to and Vizla himself gloats to Obi Wan how the ransacked the temple and stole the Darksaber during the old Republic.

This is from TCW which is canon.

So somehow, a shitty one trick plot device, which was only ever attached to a single clan out of thousands, magically became the sole artefact of unity of the Mandalorian clans in the space of 50 years?

>I hear that's because it was just going to be a vibroblade, but Lucas complained that a regular sword shouldn't be able to clash with a lightsaber and thus it had to be a lightsaber.
BUT LUCAS CAME UP WITH FUCKING VIBROBLADES
He fucking invented them for Jango Fett for a blade to lightsaber combat scene that they nver filmed.

Weird, especially considering the First Order got those anti lightsaber batons too.

To be fair I doubt there are that many clans left and most are probably aligned with House Vizla anyway. So 50 years makes sense.

>The Helm of Mandalor was the symbol of unity among the Clans for 7000 years.
emphasis on "was". That's no longer true, The helm of Mandaolor was never the symbol of unity anymore. Now it was always the darksaber.

>the symbol of mandalore is a sword meant to kill jedis

considering their last 1000 years of history, that isn't too far of the mark

Presumably at some point he decided an anti jedi unit would be more intimidating if they had a stolen jedi weapon instead of an anti jedi weapon.
If that scene ever made it into the movie, he'd probably go as far as to special edition it to change the vibroblade into the same darksaber.

Because most of the old Mando canon was embarrassingly horrible.

>there are people in this thread who don't like the Darksaber
The bitching never ceases

>The source material isn't canon anymore
Technically, it was never canon because Geroge never saw himself as having to abide by what happened in the EU. He did what he wanted to do with zero regard for it.

>why replace it with bland inconsistent crap?
The 'source material' was inconsistent crap. And they ignored it because George never gave a shit about it. The current people at Lucasfilm hold George's vision above all else. That's why the cherrypick from the EU. They take only the decent stuff

NOT CANON
O
T

C
A
N
O
N

I like tcw and somewhat like rebels but the darksaber is shit. I miss Mandelore the Ultimate.

Isnt it lazier to just reuse stuff

Almost everything Mandalorian related in the EU was garbage, user. Or did you forget "Mandalorians have more capacity for emotion than Jedi"?

The old EU was a steaming pile of shit, I feel sorry for anyone who wasted their time reading those terrible books.

EUtards>Mangofags>Prequel apologists=OT purists=TFA apologists
This is the objective truth.

>So somehow, a shitty one trick plot device, which was only ever attached to a single clan out of thousands, magically became the sole artefact of unity of the Mandalorian clans in the space of 50 years?
This is the ultimate hilarious hypocrisy when you're bitching that Boba Fett's helmet isn't special enough anymore.

mando society is now radically different from kotor era societies

considering their planet is basically a giant desert i'd say they nearly wiped themselves out

Wow how ignorant can you be

Those riot control batons are energized(like the magnaguard staffs) so they can go up against it.

Autism.

I still dont know how to feel about the Darksaber, its nature is too much "edgy OC" for me.
Maybe if someday they will further explain its origins i will change my mind

>Maybe if someday they will further explain its origins i will change my mind

What's else is there to be known about it? It was forged by the first Mandalorian Jedi. That's pretty good explanation to why it bears the Mandalorian cubism aesthetic as opposed to the standard lightsaber style.

Well, the fact that it dont work with the light but with the lack of it

>Well, the fact that it dont work with the light but with the lack of it

Explain further? Because I don't think I understand what you mean.

>Mandelore
At least learn how to spell your waifu's name, Mandofag. I can understand why you wouldn't like the Darksaber though. I see your point, It does give off a bit of a Donut Steel vibe, especially because the concept of a darksaber originated (or so I believe) from TFU. However I'm glad they gave it more lore and treated it like the relic it should be in Rebels rather than it's treatment in TCW
This

COME AND SEE THE VIOLENCE INHERENT TO THE SYSTEM

>the concept of a darksaber originated (or so I believe) from TFU.
Nope.

The darksaber originated only from TCW. Pre Vizsla was going to have a vibroblade, but George didn't want any normal(read: non-energized) blade to be able to stand up to a lightsaber, especially on-screen. So Filoni and co. turned it into a lightsaber, and eventually the black blade came about and the darksaber was created.

ITT: Autism General

Is this bait, it looks like bait?

New promo for Heinous is up.

Old Star Wars lore turned a single thread into an entire wardrobe. There's no reason new Star Wars lore can't do that. It doesn't always have to ride on the coattails of older concepts like Mandalorians or Thrawn or any shit that fell into the Legends

Gonna need source on that boyyo.
Also, The Force Unleashed came out in 2008 and featured a Black Lightsaber well before Pre Vizsla was even in the Clone Wars show.

youtu.be/Fs21QP1czZg?t=782

>Gonna need source on that boyyo.
Start at approximately 13:18 in the video if the timestamp doesn't work

youtu.be/Fs21QP1czZg?t=13m18s

>The Force Unleashed came out in 2008 and featured a Black Lightsaber well before Pre Vizsla was even in the Clone Wars show.
TFU didn't invent the idea of a black lightsaber,

Ah ok, but it still stands that the Clone Wars didn't create the concept of a black lightsaber either

crawl back to hell, Traviss

>Ah ok, but it still stands that the Clone Wars didn't create the concept of a black lightsaber either
I never claimed it did.

Well ok then

crystals doesnt work that way, we dont know what there is inside the saber

>helm of Mandalore

Nobody in the rebellion era gave a single solitary fuck about the Mandalorian hat.

Because for those of you who forgot, Fenn Shysa, the OG Mandalore, just used a regular helmet. His predecessor used a regular helmet. His successor used a regular helmet. They didn't need any symbols.

The idea that Mandalorians need ANY symbols is retarded.