Does anyone want to talk about real kino on this fine afternoon?

Does anyone want to talk about real kino on this fine afternoon?

I present for discussion Sonatine (Takeshi Kitano, 1993)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d8P8X0D8DZI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fuck gooks

Kys capeshit fag

looks stoopid

Incredible film. Love the tonal shift from comfy beach scenes to the murder spree

Also this scene lol

Sup Forums ladies and gentlemen

>Sup Forums ladies and gentlemen

Good moob

My favorite "gangster" film next to Goodfellas. The atmosphere is beautiful and of course it being about Yakuza makes it unique from a western perspective. Kitano is horribly overlooked

Have you or anyone else here seen another obscure Kitano film called Jugatsu (Boiling Point)? It's another one of those 90's Kitano gangster art films.

Something about the 90s Japanese or Hong Kong aesthetic just really does it for me.

Is this a thread only about this film or about 'kino' in general?

Post any kino you got pal. I was just starting the discussion

Minus all the killing and death, I always thought Sonatine was structurally and aesthetically very similar to Bottle Rocket

#
I started this () thread earlier and the last two replies made me think.
Where is the quality discussion of film on this board? Would a 'kino' general help? Is Sup Forums the wrong place for this? Quality posts drown in an ocean of shitposts, but then again boards like /lit/ aren't as bad as the state of Sup Forums right now.

Pic related is Night on Earth by Jim Jarmusch. I saw it a few days ago for the first time and loved its comfy atmosphere - felt almost like nostalgia.
>That's a fucked-up name to be naming your kid. Helmet.
youtube.com/watch?v=d8P8X0D8DZI
It's free on German Amazon Prime right now.

Lol "obscure".

I know you'll laugh at me but hear me out. Disney are breaking new moulds with the way they are making superhero movies these days. They act like franchisors, leasing the intellectual property to fledgling directors. It benefits all involved and produces astonishing results each time. Disney's modus operandi has produced it's magnum opus; a testament to revolutionary filmmaking.

Obscure in context of his other filmography. Nobody ever talks about that one

I would regularly support a Kino General

/kg/

And I haven't seen Night on Earth but Mystery Train is one of my favorite films

Mystery Train is on my Jim Jarmusch watchlist. Quite a few of his movies are on Amazon Prime right now, but I'm gonna watch Down by Law first.
Have you seen Dead Man or Stranger Than Paradise?

Dead Man is great but the editing really bothered me the first time I watched it. Got over it after that though. Stranger Than Paradise is also really great. Has incredible cinematography. Every shot in that film looks like it belongs on a post rock album cover or a 90s new wave music video.

Mystery Train and Ghost Dog are still my favorite Jarmuschs. Coffee and Cigarettes is also incredibly cozy

I liked Hana Bi better, it was more suited to my Western plebeian tastes.

>Has incredible cinematography. Every shot in that film looks like it belongs on a post rock album cover or a 90s new wave music video.
Heh, that's true, but for some reason I didn't connect with it. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood. I appreciate what it was trying to do, but it ultimately fell a little flat. It still has great characters and a kind patient pace (really, if there is a movie where 'nothing happens' this is it), both things I liked about Jarmusch's films so far. They feel real, grounded and 'earnest'.

You'd probably like Down By Law better then if you haven't already seen it. Same aesthetic but it has more of a conventional plot. Still a lot of scenes of characters just chilling not really doing anything

Is Dark City kino?