So what's the deal with UK TV licenses?

So what's the deal with UK TV licenses?

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=uk tv licence
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

lmgtfy.com/?q=uk tv licence

you don't have to pay them
went for three years at uni without paying them, the worst thing they can do is turn up at your door and ask to look to see if you are using a tv for terrestial but you can just tell them to fuck off in a polite fashion

hurrrr

What the fuck switzerland? Their tv is garbage

You don't have to pay but youre not allowed to watch live TV although it is easy to avoid paying, all they can do is ask to come into your home but you can just say no.

cost of living

The sports offering is surprisingly solid. Usually two CL matches a week, an EL match, all 4 tennis grand slams, a league match a week (the league sucks, but is at least worth it for meme value and to see which young players will end up in a better league), F1 races if you're into that.

Germany here. Only channel I watch is ARTE. And this one only for occasional artsy films they show.

So when exactly did the UK government stop seeing 1984 as a warning and start using it as a manual?

>hurr dur government enforcing legislation is 1984

>watching F1 with commercial breaks

kek no

literally no one pays the tv license in sweden other than politicians who are afraid of bad publicity

It's an inelegant form of taxation. You pay for PBS and NPR and shit with your taxes, it's almost the same thing except they only bill the people who partake in those things

Free at least. It's getting reduced at least. Worst case scenario is it getting reduced by 100 Francs, best case is it getting abolished all together.

he's not meming

Scare tactics and government sanctioned bullies with no real power unless you are and idiot and admit it / let them in. Even if you aren't watching tv ever the fuckers have been known to try and set your tv up to get a signal and use that as evidence to take you to court. It pisses me off to no end that the majority of my countrymen and women don't know how easy it is to tell them to fuck off.

It bothers me that I can never tell whether these are real or just a meme

Basically it's a tax for live TV. The money goes to the BBC and keeps it ad free. It only applies to broadcast TV so if I watch to watch ITV live or recorded I'm supposed to pay tax. This doesn't apply to online players or shit like Netflix except the BBC iPlayer. I could just wait and watch the ITV show on the ITV player

What's funny is how the changes to adapt to the modern era have made the laws even less enforceable.
>you're technically supposed to have a licence for every room if you live in an HMO
>if you have a licence and take a device outside your house it's still valid, unless you plug it in