The Thing

Will there ever be a better horror movie?

This is the pinnacle of honest film-making in horror movies.
youtube.com/watch?v=B48Yp00LitE

The reviewers who criticized it at the time were a bunch of squeamish pussies who couldn't appreciate its subtleties and depth because of all the "disgusting gore".

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=psxFyMoqbJ8
youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU
youtube.com/watch?v=Xq8Rgi_QIdw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

When did the Fat one get infected??

Please repson

Bit by the dog most likely but theres debate about how the Thing takeover process happened, one being be didn't know until it reached critical mass which cause the "heart attack"

But then if he only got infected when he got a heart attack, how did others get infected?

The thing isnt horror simply because it's not scary. It's sci fi.

Horror movies need to be scary

t. guy who watches Stranger Things unironically

maybe not the best horror movie, but definitely one of the best alien sci-fi horror movies.

the concept behind the alien is awesome, and it works really well with the isolated arctic setting.

the original story (Who Goes There?) on which this movie is largely based is even better and larger in scope. instead of the cast being a bunch of dumb idiots that you normally see in horror movies the people involved are actually scientists and intelligent and they have to figure out how to defeat the alien and prevent it from reaching civilization. this is made even better by the fact that alien imitations are equally capable of intelligent thinking once they've assimilated a human.

The heart condition is in the script and is mentioned in a deleted scene near the start of the film. It was cut because of a continuity error.

Norris, "the fat guy" doesn't die because the Thing causes him to have a heart attack. That's just natural for him whether he's an imitation or not. The Thing can't imitate Norris without also imitating his defective heart.

Personally, I doubt the Thing can slowly take you over. If it could then everybody would be infected and assimilated within a couple of days and it would have no need to expose itself with the violent transformations.

I think it needs to flood and immerse your tissues with its own cells to overwhelm your immune system and start to copy you. It essentially eats you at the cellular level and then creates a copy.

Irrelevant non argument. I know the thing is a holy cow on Sup Forums but its fans can't even defend the movie without dumb namecalling, sad

Just like I said. Bullseye on that sore spot.

wh-whats wrong with stranger things?

People who look like that pic think it's good.

It's not good.

>the original story (Who Goes There?) on which this movie is largely based is even better and larger in scope
Except it's not really? Even Bill Lancaster said that the original story wasn't that good, that's why it was never popular.

I watched the remake but not the original. Is the original worth watching even if I know the story already?

The 2011 film is not a remake, it's a prequel.

Yea, Carpenter thinks its better than his version.
Kill yourself.

Palmer was the one who got assimilated by the dog-thing

so Blair infected himself by chewing on his pencil after diddling with the microscope?

>definitely one of the best alien sci-fi horror movies.

No, that would be Alien.

The 2011 movie is a prequel.

>one of the
user, I...

It IS scary. And in a much worse sense. It's a film about paranoia. Instead of just being a flick of "BOO!"-monster-jumpscare with that loud music to startle you, it actually builds up on you the idea of fear.

>The thing isnt horror simply because it's not scary
You're a fucking retard, user. I don't find The Exorcist to be scary, but it's clearly a horror movie.

So, Sup Forums, who sabotaged the blood? I bet it was you user! You always have the key with you!

Someone infected him when he was locked up during the blackout, probably Norris

Texas chainsaw massacre is undoubtedly the best horror film ever made.

In case someone doesn't know, Windows dropped Garry's keys when he saw Bennings being assimilated. I noticed this already on my second viewing of the movie, it's actually quite hard to miss if you don't watch it on TV with background noise. The film team even said they increased the sound of the keys dropping in post-production to make it more obvious.

Based on the chronology of infection that I'm 99.99% certain of, it had to Palmer since no one else was infected at that point. The 0.01% is that Blair did it so that the Thing couldn't infect the blood, but that's a massive stretch. Rob Ager also has a bunch of very good points about how it's thematically implied that it was Palmer:
youtube.com/watch?v=psxFyMoqbJ8

Depends, I have no idea what you mean by the "remake" and the replies you got are even more confusing so I don't know who's baiting whom.

Anyway:
The Thing (1982) >> Who Goes There? > The Thing from Another World >> The Thing (2011)

No, I think one of the producers explicitly adressed this that he did not get infected by that. I agree with that he got infected during the black out but it had to be by Palmer, who first tried to infect Fuchs, but Fuchs killed himself, so he went for Blair instead.

All in all, it almost certainly went like this:
>On the night of the first day, Palmer gets assimilated.
This was confirmed by the producer who said that the shadow we see belonged to none of the actors but to some random guy they used because Palmer's silhouette was too obvious and ironically implied by the "Look at Palmer, he's been the way he is since the first day" comment from Nauls.
>Some time before the blood bank drama, Norris got infected
He gets assimilated slowly as implied by the actor's own interpretation and the fact that the thing goes haywire after it fully imitated his defect heart which caused Norris to "die" and the Thing to freak out.
>Blair gets assimilated by Palmer after Fuchs dies.

So Childs lied when he said that he saw Blair, because the lights went out as he ran, which means that Blair was in the generator room at that moment. But I don't get the reason why a Childs-thing would run out in the first place.

>Childs-thing
here we fucking go again

1. There is zero evidence supporting Childs being a thing. inb4 debunked spam

2. At the point of the lights going out, there weren't many people left. So, it's safe to assume he saw Blair.

I knew somebody would post Rob Ager's theory on the blood.
Agree with you 100% user.

I don't understand how this movie has created so many random theories when the movie isn't really hard to interpret and all the clues are there. The one theory that pisses me off the most is Childs not being the thing at the end.

So to sum it up, it went like this:

Palmer assimilated by the Dog Thing -> Bennings possibly infected by the Dog Thing -> dogs assimilated and killed by the Dog Thing (the dogs who got out were most likely infected and would slowly get assimilated) -> Bennings assimilated by Split-Face Thing -> Norris infected by Palmer Thing (via food perhaps) -> Blair assimilated by Palmer Thing -> Norris assimilated as a result of his earlier infection -> Windows almost assimilated by Palmer Thing -> [Childs assimilated by Blair Thing?] -> Garry assimilated by Blair Thing -> Nauls assimilated Blair Thing

Also, another reason why Norris almost wasn't a Thing until after the Blair drama is that if he were a Thing, he and Palmer could easily overcome MacReady when the three of them were examining the UFO together.

Childs-thing is probably like "is Deckard a replicant?!" in Blade Runner. There are lots of dumb theories on why Childs is 100% infected (missing breath - nope, he was breathing; plus why would The Thing not be able to breathe when it's a perfect imitation? / he drank a bottle of Molotov cocktail - again, perfect imitation, plus MacReady wanted to get drunk before he died form the cold so of course he had real alcohol on him; changed clothes - also just a lightning issue) while the good hard hitting evidence why he would be infected is rarely brought up. It's almost like 9/11 dumb conspiracies that are perpetuated to cover up the truth.

>theory

Mind == Blown

Agreed, there are a lot of dumb theories why Childs is infected.

However, the two shots where we first see Childs looking out the window and after a while we get the same shot, it pans down to the generator room and then the door being open where Childs was. We then cut to Childs running out and the power goes off. You can't argue that these shots aren't deliberate. They are clearly implying that something had happened to Childs.

>The one theory that pisses me off the most is Childs not being the thing at the end.
Why? It was intended to be open and there are good arguments for both sides.

>However, the two shots where we first see Childs looking out the window and after a while we get the same shot, it pans down to the generator room and then the door being open where Childs was. We then cut to Childs running out and the power goes off. You can't argue that these shots aren't deliberate. They are clearly implying that something had happened to Childs.
Exactly.

But Blair must have been in the generator room at that moment. So either Childs lied, or he saw something he thought was Blair, which I think is a stretch. What did he see, a cloth in the wind? We also get a shot of a neat little way from the generator room to where Childs is standing with his back turned. Again however, I don't know what reason a Childs-thing would have to run out into the snowstorm.

carpenter better not die without revealing who the thing was at the end, hope he wrote it in his diary or something

The game is a sequel and cannon. Childs froze to death and MacReady isn't found. The story grew bigger than those two guys, so I don't see the point.

>Childs froze to death
or the thing was merely hibernating, I don't know, I haven't played the game

Yeah, that's a possibility. IMO it's just one of those things where if a next thing game/movie were to be made they'd have a logical reason to what happened. Childs was unfrozen hence an outbreak or MacReady survives but is infected hence an outbreak, etc. It's whatever the next adaptation needs it to be.

The thing is not a horror movie

your face is a horror movie

I get why the movie bombed, it ran up against Blade Runner and ET, but why were the critics so harsh against it?

apparently people weren't in the mood for movies with aliens as bad guys after seeing E.T.
that's what i read anyway

post the reviews

>calling other people stupid while not understanding why made that comment using that image.

t. guy who watches hack snyder movies unironically

Bruh, it literally ends with the dudes flying after the dog and could be played seamlessly into the first film.

John Carpenter's remake of The Thing is a wretched excess. It's not that originals are too sacred to be reinterpreted. They're period pieces that would have to be tinkered with to appear contemporary. They've simply been unlucky with their tinkerers, who haven't spruced up the pretexts without laying waste to the accompanying human interest, wit and thematic suggestiveness. [25 June 1982, p.C3]

"John Carpenter's The Thing smells, and smells pretty bad. It has no pace, sloppy continuity, zero humor, bland characters on top of being totally devoid of either warmth or humanity. It's my contention that John Carpenter was never meant to direct a science-fiction horror movie. Here's some things he'd be better suited to direct: traffic accidents, train wrecks and public floggings."

They were too triggered by the 10/10 special effect gore to notice all the subtle details and excellent acting. As Rob Ager said in his character analysis that the guy who played Garry was worthy of the 1982 Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.

>being totally devoid of either warmth or humanity
Isn't that the point?

>warmth or humanity

Jesus Christ how horrifying. Stellar practical effects.

>macready burns the fuck out of the dog creature
>part if it detaches and climbs up into the ceiling
what happened to it?

>macready
>detaches after burning
nigga you cant do better bait?

This is honestly one of the most overrated horror flicks I've watched.

The way Carpenter repeatedly cuts to a close-up of the dog during and immediately after the initial helicopter chase ruins any of the surprise and tension when The Thing finally reveals itself.

Also for a movie that allegedly has very intelligent and rational characters working through their own paranoia, they split up for absolutely no reason way too many times to drive the plot forward.

If you think this is the best horror movie ever made you're buying way too much into the reddit meme of "muh practical effex"!!

>The way Carpenter repeatedly cuts to a close-up of the dog during and immediately after the initial helicopter chase ruins any of the surprise and tension when The Thing finally reveals itself.
You're a total retard.Everyone knew there was something wrong with the dog just from the fact that the Norwegians were shooting at them. People with a >100 IQ could also hear "hund" and "weg" in the Norwegian's rant and even a fucking burger can guess that that means "stay away from the dog".

youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU
F

>dog being chased and shot at
>DUURRRR I WONDER WHO THE THING MIGHT BE HUURRR
at least you covered your bases with the reddit defense

fugg

I don't think Palmer could've been the first to be infected. There is a scene after the first infection where he and Childs share a blunt together and watch a TV show (taped).

Were Palmer the Thing at that stage, he wouldn't have missed the opportunity to attack Childs that night.

>average Sup Forums poster tries to provide insight

>The game is (...) cannon

Said nobody of importance ever. The devs ran with the possibility that Mac might've survived/been infected and that's all. Good for them - hell, I like the game, finished it at least twice - but there's no need to shit on a perfectly ended movie with pointless fan-wankery.

>watches horror movie
>complains about zero humor

You have to go back.

Thumbnail looks hilarious

>go through all that trouble
>only to have your work replaced with some cheap looking CGI

>I don't think Palmer could've been the first to be infected.
It's basically officially confirmed that he was the first to be infected. I think he wanted to infect Childs slowly instead of assimilating him, because he was a big strong black man and very loud too, so who knows who else could have heard him struggle if he were to attack him there? The blunt alone perhaps wasn't enough for the infection to fully overtake him that's why Palmer was so keen on going with Childs when looking for Fuchs.

Also, Palmer was the ideal first assimilation target through and through - as they said in the dialogue, he's been acting weird from the start so he was the least likely to be suspected and the dog probably chose him specifically because he has his headphones on 24/7. So when the dog came into his room, he looked at it and then just ignored it, listening to his music while the dog slowly unraveled its tentacles and then it was too late because it quickly silenced him before he could scream for help, etc.

An American Wew-wolf in London had a lot of amazing humor in it. So many laughs!!

Since no assimilation attempt was detected due to excessive noise, I don't think that was ever an issue. Only one failed and that happened due to bad timing on the Thing's part - we can assume each and every time the Thing had a way of quickly and quietly subduing humans, whether through tentacles (Bennings) or instant assault on spine/cranial regions (Blair).

Additionally, no Thing was ever discovered due to weird behaviour on the copy's part so Palmer's weird behaviour is inconsequential. Him having his headphones on at all times is a stretch and hardly his defining feature. There could have been other targets of opportunity - the most obvious being Clark, spending most time with the dog on his own. Or Windows, sitting alone in radio room trying to reach someone. Or Mac spending time on his own in his shed.

The Thing attacks were that of opportunity and (later on) desperation. Alone in one room at night is as good as it gets - the risk vs reward calculation is too good to pass.

>Since no assimilation attempt was detected due to excessive noise
The dog attempt was foiled when MacReady heard it and sounded the alarm. Presumably, without that Clarke would either watch and do nothing or try to help the doges on his own and get assimilated.

All the other assimilation after that were stealthy and made sure to silence their victims - Bennigs was *grabs him by the throat*-ed, no one could hear Blair when isolated in his shack even if he screamed and the Blair Thing sneaked up on Garry and rammed its hand into his mouth to muffle his screams.

>macready pouring wine into the computer (a non human opponent)
>macready offering wine to childs
I feel like there's a symbolic connection between the two

>Additionally, no Thing was ever discovered due to weird behaviour on the copy's part so Palmer's weird behaviour is inconsequential.
It is not. Palmer was never ever suspected of being The Thing at any point in time (even during the blood test, MacReady was completely focused on Garry/Childs and ignored Palmer).Norris wasn't suspected either, but he didn't accomplish anything at all as a Thing.

>The dog attempt was foiled when MacReady heard it and sounded the alarm.

Good point, I forgot about it. Somehow.

Still, this is by far the most illogical attempt and it explained much to the humans.

It wasn't wine, it was whiskey. He didn't offer alcohol to his opponent, he killed his opponent. The connection you're looking for is in MacReady's mentality. He will destroy a game before he loses it. So at the end he burns the camp down to deny the thing victory

You are now aware of the fact that MacReady was alone with Things during the helicopter flight and discovery of the alien spaceship. The two that go with him are Palmer and Norris. For whatever reason, they never assimilated him despite being alone with him.

Palmer was one of the very first ones to be assimilated, probably before Norris, that was the kicker.

It's quite possible at that time Norris is not a Thing yet, Palmer definitely is.

>Palmer was one of the very first ones to be assimilated, probably before Norris, that was the kicker.
Yes, he was very competent.

You may as well be asking if we'll ever have a horror movie with an all male cast again. The Thing had so much tension because everyone was worried about themselves and no one had pussy plot armor. In the remake MEW was the lead and of course she survived. Women ruin horror because modern directors need to cram in the female empowerment meme for modern audiences.

The 2011 film is a prequel that ends at literally the exact month the 1982 film begins. The transition is so seamless it gives me chills.

to be fair, a woman being the last survivor in a horror movie is a pretty old cliche

Hi I am Billy Repson and I will try to answer.
I suppose you are talking about Norris. Is quite unclear, but he probably remained alone with the person that touched the dog in the shadow silhouette (I suppose that being Palmer).

>The 2011 film is a prequel that ends at literally the exact month the 1982 film begins. The transition is so seamless it gives me chills.
The exact month... seriously? The exact fucking day, you mean, I hope?
youtube.com/watch?v=Xq8Rgi_QIdw

Literally the only good part of the 2011 movie.

Female leads make horror movies predictable.

That's some reel deep insight, Billy.

Hi, I am Billy Repson and I appreciate this comment.

JUST

*moment

Just?

What makes the Thing scary is the Paranoia and the fact it could be science fact. The concept of an organism coming from outer space that could infect the entire human race isn’t ridiculous.

They even have the guy speak Swedish

nah, the concept of an alien infecting your colleagues and picking them off one by one in an isolated place is certainly a horror concept. I don't think it's scary either but it's still horror.