Why is the writing in Doctor Who so bad? I can't put my finger on why it's watchable while also knowing it's bad

Why is the writing in Doctor Who so bad? I can't put my finger on why it's watchable while also knowing it's bad.

I'd tell you to stay in your containment thread but you posted the best girl.

americans like to feel cultured because it's a british show

Its been literal turboshite since it first began. I too am unable to fathom its appeal

Eccleston-Early Smith era Who was pretty campy but also fun. I gave up a little after that once the shit started to outweigh the fun.
Started watching Torchwood recently had no idea how good it was. It's all the low budget campiness of old-Who with better characters and stories.

wibbly wobbly timey wimey xD
*reblogs on tumblr*

>this is a 10/10 in Bongistan

i would actually rate that a 10/10

who is that? god shes gorgeous

Its camp. Its knowingly silly.

And a fookin legend

Georgia Moffett, who plays Jenny, is the real-life daughter of Fifth Doctor actor Peter Davison and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy actress Sandra Dickinson.
Lucky weasel that Tennant

Brits are fucking retarded

She might be a complete asshole in real life though, so we don't have to feel too bad about it. Tennant might be a masochist or something.

Also, Jenny spin-off when?

>wow this is shit
>but at least it's shit on purpose

bravo nolan

>She might be a complete asshole in real life though, so we don't have to feel too bad about it. Tennant might be a masochist or something.
Now I'm REALLY jealous.
>Also, Jenny spin-off when?
Now you're thinking with regenerations!

The fuck ever happened to that character? I haven't seen that episode in years but didn't she come back to life and run off to find her Dad again? Did the writers all forget about her or what?

>dr who
>why is bad?
lol

The main theme I get from Dr. Who is it being a very lazily made scifi show with incredibly dumbed down plots. It's obvious they don't try very hard at all. Things just happen.

I think most of the appeal they get is from young women fantasizing about being with the doctor so it really doesn't matter.

It's watchable because it's comfy, and the themes are generally interesting. But the writing lets it down because, despite the ideas from the "writers" being alright, they can't put it into practice.

Well, at least it used to be watchable. It went down hill after Smith's first couple of seasons.

As someone who is British, let me fill you guys in how it is viewed here.

People in the UK see Doctor Who as more of a children's programme than anything serious. I mean it broadcasts at 6-7pm on a Saturday; a show intended for all ages would only get put on at that time. There also used to be a sister show starring a former companion that was broadcasted on the channel dedicated for children's television.

Anyone who views this as anything other than light-hearted, family friendly entertainment is beyond retarded.

because you are a pig with no taste. if you are going to define your standards by willfully watching something you admit is trash then you should just be ground up straight into a big mac where you belong

It was an endearing, good hearted show that had some interesting takes on sci-fi. Then its good heart became tainted by outside voices seeking to push agendas and now it's not even watchable.

It was the second Matt Smith season with the Astronaut bullshit wasn't it?
The one where we see the Doctor get killed in episode 1 then spend an entire season building tension and convincing us that it's a 'fixed point' (which still is a fundamentally broken concept but that's a totally different tangent) and then in the finale they get around it by replacing the Doctor with a robot that looks like him to be killed instead.

That and all the Silence/River Song bullshit made me quit, I tried again a few times in other seasons but the magic is just gone.

We know. (By 'we' I mean Sup Forums and not the redditors ITT)

>People in the UK see Doctor Who as more of a children's programme than anything serious

No, it IS a children's programme, retard.

The stuff with the impossible girl is quite fun IMO.

>girl

Clara annoyed me too much for me to watch any more than a couple of episodes at a time. She's qt as hell but the character was just so insufferable

Season 6 tried to be too clever because of Moffat having an inflated ego.

Being good at writing a contained story doesn't mean your fit to be a show runner, can't blame anyone for switching off that bullshit.

liked torchwood all the way through.

I think it's a clear case of constantly having to 'one-up' the last season.
After Davros tried to destroy every single parallel universe, then the universe getting destroyed in the Pandorica arc, the only way to keep increasing the tension was to get more and more convoluted plot lines.

it's a show to keep children away from the stove

Doctor Who has always been a crap, but the old series was crap in a fun, campy way. Nu-Who is smug metropolitan liberal shite written for yanks and teenage girls.

>I can't put my finger on why it's watchable while also knowing it's bad.
Because of Noel Clarke tearing up that sweet working class lass
Quality BBC production

>There also used to be a sister show starring a former companion that was broadcasted on the channel dedicated for children's television.
sarah jane adventures was kino
christ I wish I could've watched something better as a child though, like maybe reruns of TNG or even SG-1
only decent program that was on was midsomer murders (back when it was still good)