ITT: Movie adaptations that you badly want to see

ITT: Movie adaptations that you badly want to see

Also, cast it

Other urls found in this thread:

readcomiconline.to/Comic/The-Metabarons
web.archive.org/web/20091007000432/http://www.crynetsystems.com/files/NanoBrochure_final_small.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

unadaptable

I'm in two minds about an adaptation of this.

:^)

Isn't it just basically Event Horizon?
Crew sent to explore spaceship. It's all fucked up. Main character is insane.

>Isn't it just basically Event Horizon?
lolno

Yeah yeah, bla bla bla philosophy, but plot structure, it's practically the same.

How is Echopraxia by the way?
My local library only had Blindsight

>Isn't it just basically Event Horizon?
I think the closest form of media i've experienced is, SOMA

I know people always discuss whether Hyperion would be filmable, but Blindsight is a whole other level.

Also if anyone enjoys science fiction, this or the Rifter books you will definitely find interesting

even more batshit insane.
read only if you loved Blindsight, Watts is a genius when it comes to the """science""" and the "hard sci-fi" part, but hes pretty mediocre as a writer so hes prose is not for everyone

I think it's cited, alongside Permutation City by Greg Egan as the major inspiration.

>Rifter
never heard of it and i love Blindsight, whats that?

Fuck no. This is easily my third least favourite scifi novel. I'd have all copies of it and its sequel erased from existence if I could

That fucking Watts is too good at creating eldritch horrors. I literally can't comprehend how a non-sapient creature could make any kind of technological progress

Some people might find Watts' stuff edgy for the sake of edgy, but they're stuffed full of really fun ideas.
His prose isn't even that bad. Compared to Greg Bear, he's amazing

Id want this minus the fucking vampires...Waht a fag he was that he added vampires into it..

r8

This is ridiculous...

The Rifter series starting with Starfish.
It's about a bunch of technicians working on a geothermal power station at the bottom of the ocean. And then bad things start to happen.

Before blindsight he did a trilogy of books nicknamed the Rifters trilogy, the first one is called Starfish

Some concepts have parallels to blindsight that he later refined/ evolved in that book

>I think it's cited, alongside Permutation City by Greg Egan as the major inspiration.
makes sense tb h
>Permutation City
never read it, is it worth it?

Watts' horror elements are what Alastair Reynolds always wanted to capture but was never able to.

Not sure who the leads should be though, suggestions?

but the sequel is good tho

Also he's fucking mental in a good way, stuff like antagonizing us/Canada border agents and getting arrested

It'd be a fun little crime comedy epic like American Made or the Nice Guys.
I remember reading this book when it came out and I was 12. I absolutely loved it back then, and I still get some childlike sense of wonder whenever I read it.
It wouldn't be some artistic masterpiece with intricate complex layers of depth, but itd be a good time.

>never read it, is it worth it?
Eh.... it's a little dry. But if the singularity, etc is your kind of thing, go for it.

why

I'd really like an adaption of Q by Luther Blissett

I prefer this cover

The man is a total nutter, but he's got balls and a spine, which apparently is rare nowadays for sci-fi writers (looking at you Hugos).

The vampires were a good idea, but I think perhaps maybe one idea too many in a book already crammed to the brim with horror/dystopia ideas.
Though I can see how it jives with the overall theme about the superiority of non-sentience

looks alright, but
>the crew is lead by a reincarnated vampire
excuse me?

The Killer Inside Me remake

Vampires exist in this world. I think there's an entire taxonomy of them in the back of the book.... or elsewhere, it's been a while.

Hyperion COULD be filmable, but only in a format that just isn't done.
Like, you'd need to make Hyperion a TV anthology show with each of the pilgrim's stories taking an episode.
Then transition into a huge budget film for Fall of Hyperion.

this looks nice, the cover in my country is so fucking bad

was the one made a couple years ago not good?

Cast it

In the books universe, the vampire myth was based on real beings. Thousands of years ago, a strain of humanity broke off and became specialized human predators. They're smarter than the human because predators are always smarter than their prey.
In the future, with genetic archaeology they clone up some new ones because it turns out they're really good at analysis and shit.

It's shit. One of the worst books I ever read and I read a lot of bad books.

>Cлeпoглeд.

Well, atleast you got a videogame.

TV show.

Literally impossible. Not impractical like Hyperion or something.
You just can't make a movie about characters so flat and transitory. The movie would need to cheat and make the main character immortal or something.

That's literally the point he's trying to explore.
There's plenty of literature on how your brain does most of its stuff at the subconcious level, including generating your speech and thoughts. It's still a puzzle why you have consciousness at all, other than apparently being some kind of emotional light bulb memory restorage system.

It was decent. Nothing spectacular

In this political climate? It'd be so fucking preachy

THIS
H
I
S

>пидpoшкa

>Well, atleast you got a videogame.
?

Adapting the Culture series to a high budget TV show would be amazing.
One book a season.
Player of Games should be first

Also, behold the worst cover art possible.

I think they're referring to this:

Cast it

>never read it, is it worth it?

It's a total mindfuck, it's great if you're into these sorts of books.

Preachy against who?

I thought one of the great things about the comic was how it showed that all sides pull stupid ass shit.

There were female villains and heroes
There were smart and stupid democrats
There were smart and stupid republicans
There were Israeli villains and heroes
There were good homosexuals and evil ones.

I'd watch it.

The book is basically about different forms of cognition. The "vampires" are used as a sort of intermediary between humans and the rest.

Watts didn't write plot of game, only novelization.

Snow Crash would be fun. Might be tough to balance the comical ridiculousness with the seriousness though.

Ooh this looks interesting.

Picked up. readcomiconline.to/Comic/The-Metabarons

I was actually referring Crysis 2.

web.archive.org/web/20091007000432/http://www.crynetsystems.com/files/NanoBrochure_final_small.pdf

And no, the shitty TV series dont count

> TV series dont count
Why? I didn't read the book, but TV was alright, it managed to get the message across, I think. And isn't that the most important?

>I didn't read the book, but TV was alright
its not

What I mean is that they'd change it to suit modern politics

There was nothing wrong with the TV show.
It as good as it could be.

The book isn't that good either imo
It was better off as a short story

Use of Weapons is my favourite Culture book. Damn good shit

Please explain why exactly, then. Obviously, it probably cuts out a lot, probably merges some characters and storylines together, changes some stuff. But that's how you do a 3 hour movie. I liked it, and I loved the ending. Was the most thoughtful and touching tv show(if you can call it that) in years.

>Might be tough to balance the comical ridiculousness with the seriousness though.
I think that was a problem with the book too. I like Stephensen but I think this wasn't his best, despite being his most famous.
I don't think he could decide whether he wanted to make a satire of cyberpunk or embrace it entirely.

it needs a way bigger budget, for starters

In order to do what?

Give it to me

Please.

any good scifi horror books to recommend?

see

just go and plat this

Peter Watts' books are pretty spoopy.
Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space universe is pretty messed up, though I wouldn't call it strictly horror.
Vandermeer's "Southern Reach" series, starting with Annihilation is pretty spooky. It has a movie coming up soon

Damn it!

sanderson general? fuck that noise

Recommend me some books guys, I'll read the first 10 recommendations, no big postmodern doorstoppers plz

i thought the last two book were utter shite when i was a teenager. did i miss something?

fuck i was just thinking about this today
it would be kino
directed by shane carruth

They are, but I still liked them.

They're not as good, but they're alright.
Hyperion is the best book on an order of magnitude anyways

SyFy's making one anyway.
Expect garbage.

I almost want to say I've never felt the urge to hit someone more than reading this comment, however its just surface. Event Horizon is an ok flick that doesn't have any coherent core, Blindsight has a logic and is proper science fiction.

> SyFy
Thanks, I will.

could never do it justice. or at least i wouldn't trust anyone they would hire to do it these days

yes i thought so as well, probably one of my favorite books.

An actual adaptation. Not the shitty "satire" garbage that Paul Whothefuckeven put out.

Idris Elba as Jukka Sarasti
Doesn't the video game kinda suck?

no, just no

The Culture does not and would not make the jump to popular culture medium well.

i don't want this badly, but it should be fairly straightforward. and fun. bit strange no one has wanted to do it yet.
>checks wikipedia
oh they're making a series

I always wondered why the vampire had a Finnish name.
Is it because they prefer solitude?

Our current political climate wouldn't allow for an actual adaption of Starship Troopers.