Simon Pegg

>''Obviously I’m very much a self-confessed fan of science fiction and genre cinema. But part of me looks at society as it is now and just thinks we’ve been infantilized by our own taste. Now we’re essentially all consuming very childish things—comic books, superheroes... Adults are watching this stuff, and taking it seriously.''
>''Before Star Wars, the films that were box-office hits were The Godfather, Taxi Driver, Bonnie and Clyde, and The French Connection—gritty, amoral art movies. Then suddenly the onus switched over to spectacle and everything changed.''

is he right?

>"Our Trek is an alternate timeline with alternate details,” he wrote. “Whatever magic ingredient determines our sexuality was different for Sulu in our timeline. I like this idea because it suggests that in a hypothetical multiverse, across an infinite matrix of alternate realities, we are all LGBT somewhere.

is he right?

take a look at any list of 'best movies ever made' and you won't find many from recent years

He is right. There is nothing wrong with nerd culture in general or even enjoying those kinds of movies but society is obsessed with these things that are made for families and children. Seriously, it's ridiculous that superhero films are getting gigantic budgets while top tier autuers aren't. This obsession with box office numbers also has a lot to do with his point as well.
Everyone seems to be afraid to grow up and think.

>makes his name making and/or starring in low-brow comedies and sci-fi flicks
>continues to exclusively make and/or star in low-brow comedies and sci-fi flicks
>turns his nose up at low-brow comedies and sci-fi flicks

If there are infinite matrix of alternate realities then yes.

If he is that means in another universe Simon Pegg is a baby raping serial killer.

Yes he is. Adolescence in all aspects is being prolonged into adulthood because it makes us more willing consumers

nothing wrong with that, films are a business and Pegg knows which audience to pander to

But that's true for everyone so it doesn't really matter.

most people don't enjoy movies like taxi driver. raw and visceral stuff terrifies normies to their core

most normies know that darkness exists but prefer not to acknowledge it. they would rather consume visual popcorn than be confronted with something that makes them uncomfortable or something that appeals to the darkest aspects of humanity

Not to mention effeminate, emasculated morons incapable of being critical.

Do you mean normalfags?

Look at Sup Forums full of idiots debating which of the two new marvel and dc capeshit is kino and trash.
Used to be Sup Forums laughed that shit off the board now it's every fucking thread.

also they deflect this kind of raw sincerity with humor. when they think of taxi driver they probably think of the "you talking to me" scene. a completely forgettable scene yet turning it into some humorous cultural meme makes the experience more palletable

normalfag is normie now, stop getting upset about it because it's not going back faggot

>Create company that makes cars
>make lots of money selling them
>whine about how so many cars are causing pollution only after I make my money from the business

This guy can fuck off saying shit like that while taking roles for adaptations of things like Ready Player One.

>car analogy

yeah and I own a bar, I still hate alcoholics

most people involved in business hate their consumers and are just exploiting their addictions and stupidity

Untill Star Wars™ or Marvel™ wins best film at the academy awards then we still have hope

It's like this:
>pegg treats films like a business, choosing projects that will make him the most money
>pegg SAYS films should be art and that treating films like a business hurts that artform

No, he said the successful box office hits of the past were often very adult and artistic films. Since Star Wars consumer tastes have become more immature and juvenile.

These studios only have as much as money as the manchildren are willing to give them.

I'd unironically pick Thor Ragnarok over the majority of AA nominees for the last few years.

this. oscar bait garbage is not better than capeshit.

He's a sellout cunt who sucks JJ Abrams knob!!!FACT!!!

Yes.

I'd like to hear his thoughts on BVS.

Simon Pegg is just about the biggest fanboy and scifi geek out there so those are big words coming from him. He does have a point though.

It feels to me like he's growing out of his phase and looking back thinking, I love this stuff, but objectively it's not really great art.

>these people playing dressup and make believe is superior to those people playing dressup and make believe
movies dont matter, they arent art, they are entertainment, and as such it literally does not matter since taste is subjective, there is no difference between the godfather and justice league, they are both in the same league

When did he turn into a twat?

he was born british so...then?

As soon as he became famous, just like Ricky Gervais and James Corden. All likable at first but once the paychecks come in and you become a star, the word humble disappears from your dictionary.

When filming Hot Fuzz he got really angry and shouted loudly at a random crew member because there wasn't any milk in the coffee he brought Pegg. Based Nick Frost called him out on that and said he was becoming a prick after Pegg started getting movie roles.
They talk about it in the Hot Fuzz audio commentary, they had a big row and didn't speak all day. At least Nick Frost manages to keep himself grounded and not elevate himself to the point of shouting abuse at 18-year-old film crew boys serving the wrong kind of coffee.

I feel like if I were a movie star I wouldn't be a total dick to everyone around me, but seeing so many perfectly reasonable people turned sour after becoming famous makes me wonder. Have people like Pegg always been twats on the inside, only for fame to let them express it with fewer repercussions, or does fame really just turn you bad? I can't imagine being changed fundamentally as a person by wealth.

>t. triggered capeshit manchild

In an alternate timeline i meet Bailey Jay and take his nice penis in the ass, so yes, he is right.

That's just bullshit though. Box office hits have always been lowest common denominator childish stuff, Disney cartoons and Robin Hoods.

Bonnie and Clyde didn't top the charts that year, the fucking Jungle Book did.

He tells the truth. Many adults are acting like a child in every aspect of his life.

Manchildren BTFO

He is right, and he is wrong. Another way to look at it is that Star Wars stopped a line of horribly boring movies and gave the American public something it was craving desperately for that the art fags could never provide.

A good mythological story.

Lucas tapped into the ancient need of man to have larger then live myths and stories. Same thing the superhero movies do. Before them, it was the stories of ancient myths and religions. Before that, it WAS the religions and myths of their current day.

People need something bigger then life. Life is drab and boring. Always has been. He can stop being an artfag and serve his audience, or he can whine. Either way, it doesn't matter. Life will continue.

Is not forced, the standard of living produce a prolonged adolescence. They are well fed, no wars to fear, no crisis to front, and they can easily avoid conflict. Like wolfs were transformed into eternal dog puppies, humans are in a advanced self domestication step.

>mythological story
>capeshit

Except every modern superhero story is either defeat the evil version of me or stop the end of the world.

Youre both wrong, its soyboy now.

It might be a combination of both but I truly think fame can turn you into a complete twat, there's just some people who get high on fame easier than others. Like I said, Nick Frost kept his cool and is known to be funny and kind and gentle on set. But Pegg turned into an obnoxous twat once he became famous.
I mean seriously, what makes you think you're so much better than the guy who brings you a coffee in between takes? Just because you're the lead actor doesn't mean you're somehow superior to everyon else working on the film and allow you to lose your shit when your coffee isn't the right shade of brown.
I have great respect for Nick Frost for openly calling him out on his behaviour. Pegg and Frost have been lifelong friends, and Frost hated seeing Pegg act like that. The audio commentary where they talk about it is pretty awkward but worth seeing. That whole scene with them in the police car checking speed limits was filmed in two days and they didn't exchange a word in between takes for the entire shoot because Pegg was being all prissy and Frost had had enough of Pegg's behaviour towards the staff.

Wealth changes a person fundamentally.
Not always for the worse.
Does becoming a homeless tramp fundamentally change a person? Of course it does.
This works both ways.

If he ever actually said this, then yes. But it means nothing because he keeps making this fucking schlock.

Im not american an we see more and more american adults acting like childs. Is not a wealth problem.

Which is most every mythological story ever. That is why man created gods like himself. Learn history moron.

>Descartes quote talking about idiots
>Picture of Voltaire

Ironic, isn't it.

No one cares about meaning, inspiration, or ideas. Everything is a salve to placate us from our shit exiistense as plebian consumers. Stop supporting it!

It's not about being childish, the discussion was about how fame and money can turn people into assholes. Simon Pegg was a well-liked guy on the UK comedy circuit, but once he got famous and rich he became a cunt who shouts at crew members for bringing him a coffee with two sugars instead of three, Fame can makes a good man turn nasty

>read this comic
>think of how Sup Forums was a safe place for me as a high schooler where I could meet other autists like myself
>think aboit Sup Forums today which is infested with normies, redditors, chads, non ironic nazis and literal retards
>start bawling like a baby.

2real4me

But he is right in this case.

Because charismatic real leading men, which are overwhelmingly what carried great movies, no longer exist in Hollywood.

It's soyim, pretty boys, literal queers, or beefed up roid betas.

pegg is right and wrong

hollywood is a business first, he should know that, the studios just give the pleb masses what they want

even big name directors like spielberg, pta, scorsese, villneuve, nolan, etc get massive 8-9 figure budget movies that don't always do well at the box office.

but shit like transformers will always make money

but there are cancerous fan bases of course, nu-males who are obsessed over star wars for example

Who says he's turning house nose up at it. Moreover, is someone who acts in a children's show obligated to enjoy children's shows?

soyboy is the new numale you soyboy bugman normie faggot

how is this even wrong?

Robert De Niro was identified in plenty of European pedophile rings
Francis Ford Coppla also associates himself with this man

THE MORE YOU KNOW

>You can't critique the industry you work in

He's right in what he says in OP's quote, but that has nothing to do with fame turning you into an asshole. We're having different conversations here. I agree with Pegg's points. I was just talking about how celebrities can turn into obnoxious cunts who think they're above everyone else, resulting in stuff like Pegg verbally abusing an intern for brining the wrong shade of coffee, or Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear punching a producer in the face because he wasn't provided with adequate catering.

Yes

Yes, but he's being something of a twat as well

maybe normal folks watch comfy films to escape the oscar bait crap that is actually in their lives, bad families, drug use, ect...

because that poster is a bugboy and doesnt like the criticism

Feels more like he's being PC, though I think he's always had politically correct opinions even before social media and press forced celebs to say they do.