Pretty kino

pretty kino

Haven't seen it yet. Hideo Gosha is a pretty good director, though. So far I've seen Onimasa, The Wolves, and Goyokin. Onimasa was kino. The Wolves was also pretty good. It's been a while since I've seen Goyokin but I don't really remember enjoying it all that much. Strange, since a lot of people seem to consider it their favorite.
Hopefully Criterion releases the rest of the titles they have of his. I remember they have the rights to Bandit's vs Samurai Squadron (not the Japanese title), Hunter in the Dark, and Death Shadows.

Why do you keep posting this image and text together? What’s the congruency?

Will check out Onimasa and the wolves. Three Outlaw Samurai is the first samurai film to really click with me and I've seen a decent amount of well known and slightly lesser known samurai films that are ~2 hours or shorter. Sword of Doom might be the only other that clicked with me as much as this did.

The Samurai Trilogy is a great watch to see a biographical account of one of the most moral samurais that ever lived.

Bandits vs Samurai Squad by Gosha is great. Its long as. shit but it has a damn good ending.

I watched the first 2 but never got around to seeing the third, I was thinking of watching them all after finishing the Shogun miniseries.

If you want to watch a real painful trilogy that is filled with feels, watch The Human Condition. It is nine entire hours of suffering, with each movie getting better successively. One of my favorite movies of all time.

you fucking weaboo

Yeah I've been meaning to get around to watching it, I downloaded The Burmese Harp last night but I'm considering going through a bunch of japanese movies by the period they're set, eventually getting to WW2.

>one of the most moral samurais that ever lived.
wasn't Musashi a trickster? Not exactly moral.

How exactly? He was commoner who WILLED himself to samurai status and wrote the book (literally) on his era of bushido life.

in the book of fives rings he attributes his success to his height and reach

Whoops, meant >90730375

Do you happen to have a list? I never considered watching japanese movies based on their time period.

I'm not well versed in Musashi, but in the film he is an extremely moral and dedicated man, to the point of abandoning the love of his life and renouncing women all together to focus primarily on his swordsmanship.

Jesus,

>to the point of abandoning the love of his life and renouncing women all together to focus primarily on his swordsmanship.
sounds very Buddhist. Was Musashi a Buddhist? I know Zen was followed by a lot (but not all) samurai.

lol newfag

Nah I would like to find one though, I'm just watching samurai era films, then moving on to the end of samurai era, then probably going straight to WW2. I think there's a list like that on letterboxd though.

I watched Himiko recently that was set around ~400AD which was really interesting.

His upbringing was Buddhist, there is a heavy emphasis on Buddhist teachings in the films.

WAIT... do you mean Mifune's other well known character from Yojimbo and Sanjuro?

It was set around ~240 AD actually, would like to know more films set around that time period.

>posts a Sup Forums gif with a current timestamp as filename
>calling anyone a newfag

I honestly have no idea what I'm talking about. I've read so much stuff about samurai and watched so many movies that I've probably got some things confused

New computer, yo

Has anyone watched pic related? It's not a samurai film but a yakuza film (a "chivalry film" to be exact)
I personally thought it was great, but I feel like I'm the only person on this board who has seen it.

>doesn't backup his files
>calling anyone a newfag

I figure its Sanjuro, sneaky ronin who goes to a town stuck in civil war, plays both sides, then kills the badguys. Its the character the Dollars trilogy was based on.

I'll download it and watch it soon

>implying I have the motivation necessary to go through that hassle

That sweetspot of both Yakuza and Chambara at the same time is KINO. I see Takakura Ken, so i'll check it out.

>motivation
>for a one-liner script
Are you a tech illiterate, by chance?

agree with you about sword of doom but not this one. i did like the ending though

Not any more. I just learned how to use the Facebook.

>extremely moral
>abandoning the love of his life and renouncing women all together to focus primarily on his swordsmanship

that's not moral, that's selfishness and hermitry

Were talking about Bushido here, remember. 'The way of the Samurai is found in death'. His life wasnt about him or his wife.