Why was The Hobbit so negatively received? I personally like it more than LOTR 2bh

Why was The Hobbit so negatively received? I personally like it more than LOTR 2bh

Other urls found in this thread:

slashfilm.com/peter-jackson-hobbit-movie-problems/
youtube.com/watch?v=c0_yi2p6OgI
youtube.com/watch?v=J5JNDEZeJ7o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You have the objectively wrong opinion

Shit nobody says thread?

You have shit taste. Please kill yourself.

That's just your opinion man

Ok

there was too much of it, which forced them to add a bunch of stupid sub-plots
ridiculous shit like Legolas jumping up the falling stones (although he was basically an invincible capeshit character in LoTR as well, to be fair)
comedic relief was poorly timed and took away from the seriousness
overused/poorly used CGI (e.g. elf army)
There was still some good moments, I liked the parts in the mountains (stone giants were weird though) and the scenes with Smaug and Bilbo, and the first movie was overall pretty comfy.

>Stretched out to 3 movies
>Worse cast
>Worse story
>Forced diversity

Martin Freeman has been cast as the main character in terrible movie adaptations of some of my favourite books twice now. In spite of it, he did an excellent job portraying both characters (Bilbo and Arthur Dent). Is he, dare I say it, /ourguy/?

>forced them to add a bunch of stupid sub-plots

Most of the sub-plots I didn't mind because they were from the Samarilion or tied them to the originals. But a lot of it felt tacked on.

>overused/poorly used CGI (e.g. elf army)

Yeah the originals had a sense of realism to them because the CGI was minimal. A lot of the action in these movies were extremely cartoony. The CGI orcs and goblins looked really bad.

>comedic relief was poorly timed and took away from the seriousness

This was probably my biggest complaint. The Hobbit is just supposed to be this fun little adventure tale. Should have just been this light-hearted romp. But the studio wanted three epic fantasy movies, even though it really should have just been one or two at most. So there was a huge clash between the tone of the movies and their structure. A lot of the action was very cartoony and at times it felt like a Marvel movie.

It was bloated but I still enjoyed it. The scene with Bard firing the Black Arrow was cringe to the nth degree, though.

The Smaug awakening is the best scene of the trilogy I think

Nah, best scene is one of the simplest scenes, and ripped straight from the book; Bilbo stealing and trading away the arkenstone to try to save Thorin from his madness then sneaking back in to stand there right next to him when it was revealed.
Even though the movie tried its hardest to make me not care about anything, that scene still made me emotional.

An Unexpected Journey and Desolation of Smaug is decent up until Legolas shows up.

Everything after is pure garbage.

First one was alright, I like how they shit on the elves for having stupid elf culture where they eat lettuce and listen to harp music all day.

kek

>I personally like it more than LOTR

Non lotr fangfag here. This was my take on the Hobbit.
Hobbit 1 boring as hell
Hobbit 2 actually pretty entertaining
Hobbit 3 hollywood trash
Which is my same thoughts on the original trilogy.

How would you rank the transformers?

Mixing the fairy tale narrative of The Hobbit with the backstory from the LotR appendixes was a mistake.

There were too many half-baked elements in it. Like the giant demon worms.
Some scenes were extended FAR too long to fill time. The fucking golden Smaug bullshit still hurts my brain.

For it to have been such a rush job, there seemed to be CG in places it would have been faster and cheaper to just dress a dude up in a fake beard and helmet.

Exact opposite from LotR in which the narrative was painstakingly revised and condensed so that it was still coherent, gave all the info needed but trimmed stuff that would have made each film 8 hours long.
The Hobbit was a straightforward journey tale with shit ADDED in order to make it more epic and as a result just a fucking mess.

I feel bad for Jackson. He was really thrust into a shit position but even then he seemed to make it even harder for himself with some of the decisions made.

This is one of the reasons why I'm thankful for the fan edits, this one in particular. It gets rid of all the non canon stuff and makes it much leaner and better.

Something about it felt off. The best way I can describe it is zombie Simpsons to classic Simpsons. It has all the right characters, places and ingredients. It looks the same, but something is wrong and you just can't quite put your finger on it.

I agree completely. It didn't help that he had 5 months to prepare when he had 2 years with LOTR.

slashfilm.com/peter-jackson-hobbit-movie-problems/

>The short version: when Jackson took over the Hobbit films from original director Guillermo del Toro, the schedule was not adjusted. He was not granted the amount of time necessary to storyboard and redesign the world to his specifications. He was behind from day one and spent every other day sprinting to play catch-up. “I didn’t know what the hell I was doing,” Jackson admits. He recalls having to call for extended lunch hours just so he could figure out how to approach a scene. Compare this to the literal years of pre-production he had on The Lord of the Rings.

>Quote: "Because Guillermo Del Toro had to leave and I jumped in and took over, we didn’t wind the clock back a year and a half and give me a year and a half prep to design the movie, which was different to what he was doing. It was impossible, and as a result of it being impossible I just started shooting the movie with most of it not prepped at all. You’re going on to a set and you’re winging it, you’ve got these massively complicated scenes, no storyboards and you’re making it up there and then on the spot.

>The problems extend beyond storyboards and shot outlines. Jackson admits that he’s not even happy with the screenplays, which never came together in a satisfying way:

>I spent most of The Hobbit feeling like I was not on top of it. Even from a script point of view, Fran [Walsh], Philippa [Boyens] and I hadn’t got the entire scripts written to our satisfaction, so that was a very high pressure situation.

Transformers 1 enjoyable though mainly for nostalgia
Transformers 2 hollywood garbage
skipped all the others until the last one which I only watched for Moner, even she could not make me finish the movie I quit after about 30 mins

Well that explains it.

I swear I saw these films, but every time these threads pop up there are scenes like these that I equally swear were not in those movies. It's the most forgettable series of films of all time. Shit is like visual amnesia.

Everyone knows that LotR is superior in every way but what are some kino moments from The Hobbit?

youtube.com/watch?v=c0_yi2p6OgI

They're mostly from the extended addition. Shit like the chariot-mounted machine-gun crossbows and the anti-arrow spinning ballistas.

edition*

youtube.com/watch?v=J5JNDEZeJ7o

This is a sad but beautiful scene. Martin Freeman is a great actor.. The most beautiful thing about this film/trilogy which is better than anything in LOTR is the friendship between Bilbo and Thorin.

Okay, you are a fucking faggot. I bet you cried every time Optimus Prime died in your favorite franchise.

I never watched Transformers after the first one. Anyway it's sad you're this insecure with your masculinity you can't appreciate the few good things about what was otherwise an overall disappointing trilogy.

imagine being in the closet to this degree. It's ok man it's 2017

You can hardly argue that a few black people at Laketown constitutes forced diversity. Get a grip.

The Hobbit films are honestly a dudebro movies to watch while cracking open 12+ cold ones with the boys. I had a lot of fun watching them with my friends. The films are objectively shit though. The casting is fine, Martin Freeman as the bumbling brit is a classic choice and worked well in Hitchikers of the Galaxy and the cringe big bang theory version of Sherlock Holmes, but the overuse of CGI and the total lack of any true passion in the project ruins it. As well as a drawn out trilogy for a honestly very small book. Peter Jackson must have been so fucking tired of this shit once he started this trilogy and it really shows.

Lotr however is a modern day classic trilogy that will be fondly remembered for a long time, with classy use of practical effects and only CGI where its necessary (though it also has its really aged moments like the cave troll). Perfect casting. Perfect pacing at least in the first movie. Many feels moments. Grand vistas and beatiful scenery and attention to detail. The few things I didnt like about the adaption are drowned in the good things about it and the obvious love put into it by both director, cast and crew, not to mention the composer.

>We'll never have 2 hour The Hobbit adaption by Del Toro

There were black people at laketown? How does that even happen?
Anyway, I think he means the female characters. Specifically the elf with the horrible romance plot that drags on forever onto nowhere.

Underage pls go

It doesn't look the same at all. I remember watching LOTR Trilogy the day before seeing an Unexpected Journey and was shocked at how different the world felt, particularly in terms of CG.

You'd be hard pressed to find a reason for them to be there. Most kingdoms and towns in Lotr are completely isolated from eachother and are implied not to interact much nor trade as they are mostly ruins of former great nations. The middle earth area from the books and films dont really get a proper kingdom until Aragorn reuinites it as Gondor and Arnor. Arnor being a completely broken previous kingdom with Bree and Laketown being two of these former Arnor cities who in the era of the films are just straggling left over cities from those eras. At least that was my interpretation.

First one I think is legit passable. Far below LOTR, but highly watchable. Second one has elements that are good, third one is just terrible.

The like 24 hours of extra footage though is fucking amazing to watch. Far more interesting than the film, and it makes me feel sad too see how badly it turned out because there legit was a lot of passion there, just not by Jackson.

Your opinion is right. Sup Forums is infested with reddit cancer now

>don't mind me, i am bailing

Laketown was literally a trading port, with an eclectic population that reflects that. In a world where Hollywood casts black people as Norse Gods (see: Thor), be thankful that a major commercial release only had a couple of black extras.

he was probably talking about the stronk elf womyn with a burning desire for hot dwarf/elf racemixing action

which was shit, only one of many problems though

anyway I think you can argue that having people of far flung ethnicities living in a town located in fantasy early medieval northern europe is in fact forced diversity

>not one non white person in lotr
>black and asian people in lake town
tempted to walk out the theater tbqhfam

Literally the only thing that's wrong with the Hobbit trilogy is the romance subplot that wasn't in the original book.

And the stupid Scooby Doo chase with Smaug in the mountain. And all the Lake Town shit with characters no one on earth cares about,

There absolutely were non-white people in LOTR. Among them, the black Gondorian soldier (extended edition), Maoris as Uruk and Haradrim.

Laketown, at least in the movie, was a huge trading hub that's fallen into squalor as Smaug made them irrelevant. So it's not unthinkable that a lot of different cultures congregated there.

LOTR was always pretty realistic in their designs, a sword looked like an actual metal blade that could be used IRL, a helmet was thin and actually served a purpose while still being fancy, a city looked like a functional city you could live in and so on. While in The Hobbit they tried this wonky fairytale aesthetic that never worked well with the serious tone. So instead of having what looks like a real guy in a metal armor, it's just looks like a guy in a plastic latex mask running around in a plastic armor waving a plastic sword around like it's someone trying to cosplay as a Warcraft character.

Yeah, it's a trading port in middle earth's equivalent of finland. Only humans darker than a ghost you'd find over there for another several thousand years would be something like an inuit.

We can criticize their faults, but they're still decent movies. Just not close to being as good as the originals. Either way, they're still better than the Star Wars Prequels.

>inuits in Finland

this and fuck anybody who say otherwise

is it an alt right meme to complain about everything with: X HAD A NON WHITE PERSON IN THE BACKGROUND!! RARRRGH ITS THE WHITE GENICIDE I TELLS YAH!
you're worse than sneed. i hope that brain tumor kills you

What do you mean by poorly received? All 3 hobbit films were certified fresh by Rotten Tomatoes!

A Finland that housed the single most richest nation on earth.

Is there a good edit that makes it into a single movie?

its an immersion breaker as would be having random whites in the background on a movie about african tribe mythology.

>>>something like
sami are basically the same

Yeah, just like timbuktu and you didn't find very many finns down there, even with all their trading and their raids and their serving as mercenaries in the region and such. Turns out, ethnic minorities, outside of a modern context, don't survive for very long when they leave their points of origin - unless they do so to conquer. Even then they don't always fare too well.

>arctic peoples are basically all the same and crossed into North America back toward the last glacial maximum
I thought this was common knowledge.

he was taking the piss out of you, you absolute birdbrain.

Martin Freeman has the personality of a plank. He has no charisma and he can't act so he makes up for it by being vulgar and annoying every chance he gets.

Perhaps, but Lake Town is located in the east and even Tolkien described the Easterlings as being pretty diverse, if not full on black of course, but at least pretty brown and Muslim. So it's not such a huge stretch that there are blacks there as well.

This senpai!
No one gives a fuck when they just cast black people, even if it's clearly done with the sole purpose of filling some diversity quotas. When they retardedly shoehorn them in or when they replace a character of another race is what makes people rightfully mad.

>Legolas jumping up the falling stones
That would have been fine if it looked better.

I don't get it.
The hobbit is a shorter book than one lord of the rings book. Why is it the same amount of films as that entire trilogy

3 times the movies, 3 times the money

>this entire post

Boy howdy look at these brown eskimos.

I have honestly never seen such an autistic discussion on Sup Forums about race and Jewish hollywood conspiracy to destroy the white race by putting a few coloured extras into a few scenes. It's actually really pathetic.

Sounds like you just discovered the average Sup Forumstard mentality yesterday or something
They will literally cry and bitch about anything just for the sake of someone reforcing them positively

>Goofy SO COOL capeshit tier scenes dialed up to 11
>literally like 2 of the dwarves are memorable, and even then fucking Merry and Pippin, who are arguably the most forgettable LOTR main cast members are more memorable
>awful, awful CGI, the orcs and uruks look worse than the costumed New Zealanders in the LOTR trilogy

>not posting shitty The Hobbit webms

it's astonishing how stupid you are.
It breaks you immersion because it doesn't resemble your false view of history. That's the problem with you racists, you usually don't know how stupid you are nor how wrong your perception of history is.

No I've been here for years honestly, and I mean, I have seen them bitch about stuff which is pretty menial but in the past it's been generally asserted stormfags who try to do like an "anti white race film analysis" or whatever. These alt right twats are a newer breed of faggotry though. Nit picking scenes that are literally seconds long just because of a few coloured extras is sinking to a new low.

>Most of the sub-plots I didn't mind because they were from the Samarilion or tied them to the originals.
Doesn't a lot of it not fit though? I haven't read the silmarillion, only hobbit and lotr. But isn't the white orc meant to be dead already? Radaghast i don't hate, even though he isn't meant to be there. Dunno why tauriel exists. Also, fuck wereworms, those obly existed in the hobbit videogame from wayback until tbotfa

glad I'm with you guys, you're clearly the most intelligent, enlightened, and articulate ones here

WE WUZ HOBBITS

Because it was completely off the tone of the book. The Hobbit felt like a fairytale when reading it. Whereas Lord of the rings was more of an epic. They turned hobbit into an epic when it wasn't one and changed everything that made it good.

>anime girls with somewhat human looking faces
I'll be damned, what's this from?

The first hobbit is honestly a great film, the second one has a lot of good in it but began showing signs of the third, which was utter garbage

the third hobbit ruined the entire series, I remember Legolas doing vidya cutscenes, the women of laketown taking on the vanguard of uruks in steel plate and about half the film being about the shitty OC Alfred character

Kakegurui

>le current year maymay

you are a womyn or a white male with beard trying to score points

>not liking alfrid lickspittle

There's your opinion and then there's the truth

An Unexpected Journey is almost perfect, it's the comfy adventure film that really adapts that warm feeling the book gives. And Bilbo is at least 10 times a better character than Frodo.

2 starts great but just fucking turns into a mess after the barrel fight.

3 is a complete clusterfuck but Bilbo's goodbye to the dwarves is legitimely touching and emotional.

IMO, The Hobbit suffered from a lack of identity, it's tonally a children's book, it's a magical adventure that's filled with child-like excitement. I know that it ends on a huge war and they face a gigantic dragon, but it's still small scale for the most part. It's not a fantasy epic, it's just a great adventure.
So making it like LOTR is a waste. And that's not even counting the massive amounts of shit ideas scattered throughout the films, seriously why is Alfrid there? Why the love triangle? Why such a big emphasis on Legolas? FUCK

One of the things I hate the most is the internet response to the songs and Radagast in 1. I fucking hate reddit so much.

Name at least two of the dwarven characters and personalities, and go.

Then he should have said no.
Don't give me that bullshit of how he didn't want the movie to be shit so he jumped in to make a rushed shit movie.

The simple fact that he was behind but still said okay to expanding it to three fucking long movies is ridiculous.

The weird bloom effect triggers my autism so bad I can't watch these movies. They look so fucking ugly and I can't believe Jackson allowed them to be released in this state

good? I don't know, but there's one called "there and back again"

Jackson doesn't give a shit, he literally became George Lucas incarnate.

Every scene should have involved Bilbo and when he wasn't present, all the other characters should be asking "Where is Bilbo?"

There, fixed.