Sup. I bought a Fire TV Stick and wondered what are some of the best things and apps I can download on it

Sup. I bought a Fire TV Stick and wondered what are some of the best things and apps I can download on it.

I looked into Kodi but apparently it's highly recommended to get a VPN to use it safely and there don't seem to be any free ones.

Also looked at getting US Netflix but again it seems a VPN is needed.

Any advice or suggestions? Is a VPN worth buying?

bump I have one of these puppies but I don't think I use it optimally

why would you need a vpn with kodi?

You don't it's just every site loosely linked to Kodi addons shills IP Vanish when you look up tutorials and stuff.

Enjoy your botnet.

yeah I want to cut my cable so I also looked into kodi for live sports and news (I dont care as much about streaming episodes of shows as those apps/sites are numerous and easy to find) its the live sports that are nearly impossible to replace, you can find working apps for that but often only last for a few days before they get shut down, so I'm still,paying for cable atm. I'm not super tech savvy so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I used to use kodi for ages without a vpn and had no problems.

as for kodi addons Covenant is decent and will allow you to watch pretty much anything you want for free. As much as I hate to point you towards reddit you can check out /r/addons4kodi for info about all kinds of different addons.

They are out there. My dad uses a paid service I think he pays about £80 for a year of access to a service and he can watch live tv from anywhere in the world including all the sports channels using IPTV. The quality is decent too, I've been round to his house while he has had it on before and the only time it started skipping and jumping is when his internet connection was playing up. I defiantly would use a vpn if doing this though and I think he does.

It seems that internet providers have proper come down on Kodi this last year though which is what I'm most suspicious about

Ive used kodi for years and never needed a vpn. Only annoying thing is that it does need to update often depending on what software you use in kodi

I've not seen any stories about users getting in trouble for it. Only stories i've seen of people getting in trouble are people selling them to others fully loaded with all the addons. Local market traders and independant shops and such.

Yeah, thanks user, that sounds right up my alley. I'd glady use a paid service in place of cable. IPTV you say? Do you recall the name of the service?

>it's highly recommended to get a VPN to use it safely
how fucking retarded are you?

Is Covenant kill or still active? Should I switch to Elysium for Kodi Firestick streaming? I just picked up a newer model Firestick on black Friday but I'm not sure what's the best course for Kodi streaming these days.

the only realistic reason you'd want a vpn is if you were using addons that use torrenting

Exodus is (and has been) kill. Supposedly they've been recommending switching to Colossus but I still can't FUCKING get it to install and its pissing me off to be H fampai and exodus is still somehow half-working for me anyway

As someone who has setup a few 'Kodi boxes' for family let me just advise you that if you intend to watch live TV you will be disappointed. The quality is noticeably bad and laggy, the bandwidth just isn't there especially when servers are busy.
Covenant and a lot of other repos are down but a few others such as Genesis Reborn have sprung up to take it's place. Elysium work off and on currently last time I checked anyway.

I'm still using Covenant with no issues at all for streaming movies and tv.

Exodus is alive and well. Recently got updated.

So then how the FUCK does my version of kodi and exodus not update properly? I cant into computer very well

should I just uninstall kodi then do a fresh install

I just checked and apparently it's back up. The repo was down for a while and there were worries they would stop development. Here's a few good addons to have as backup since things are constantly in flux with Kodi right now.
Fantastic
Pyramid
Rebirth 2017
BOB Unleashed
Genesis Reborn

I guess I'll check out Genesis Reborn/see about doing Covenant again then. I don't use Kodi an absolute ton but I do like having it available on occasion, but that also means I'm out of the loop when shit goes pear shaped. Thanks pals.

you can update Exodus manually if you have the right repo
there are videos on youtube

What are some good apps for this?

Is there any way to change the UI? It's so cluttered

wait can you install kodi on this fre stick thing?

There's already a Live TV app on the Fire Stick though? Aren't people just using that?

Do gvideo links work for anyone?

Can someone give me a complete run down on this stuff? I live under a rock and I've never heard of this shit. I have a Roku to watch some tv on. Is this kodi stuff possible on one of those or does it have to be a firestick?

Chromecast + Terrarium TV

I don't understand this Firestick, Roku, Chromecast stuff. Why not just plug your pc or laptop into a TV via hdmi cable? What am I missing here?

For me, convenience

ISP's in the UK are blocking kodi links, that's the only reason a vpn is being advised. Without a vpn you'll click 'play' and find 0 links.

Kodi still works without vpn, but right now it's under huge pressure from dmca and is on it's deathbed. All the apps are dying on a weekly basis and links are being blocked as soon as they're put up.

Best way to watch anything is download the thing itself. Fuck kodi. All TV's play .mkv now, just dl the film, pop it on a usb and you're done.

I already do this, but I miss using a remote and automatically having video full screen. This is all pre loaded, no clicking your mouse no torrenting or downloadin it's all there ready to go.

your isp is blocking them

>Why not just plug your pc or laptop into a TV via hdmi cable?
Computermachine is a way the fuck away from TV, would be a pain in the ass to deal with. If I want something in better quality I can just watch the file over the network with the Firestick anyway, but 99% of the time I don't give enough of a shit and the convenience of just picking up a remote and streaming some garbage is preferable.

Use terrariumtv instead of Kodi

this , you can get terrarium TV on fire stick , Kodi is dead.

Can that be installed on a PS4?

This. Find an apk with the ads stripped out. It has everything. As for live TV, get an IPTV service (Vaders, Fab, Flawless, etc). They're like less than $10 a month & they have all the US/UK channels (and others). Run the M3U and EPG links they send you through an app called Perfect Player. Done.

OP, I'd highly recommend ditching that dog slow Firestick if you're serious about this & at least go with something like a Mii Box that runs the official Android TV OS.

Not that I know of

Holy fuck this. It has literally everything.

Yep UK isps blocked all the add-on IPS I don't even use it any more good thing I got btn

Does BTN have all the seasons of Kojak and Car 54 Where Are You? I have no idea how to get in but I'm probably going to be blowing about $200 on those DVDs soon because there are no good torrents fucking anywhere

You bought what in the what now?

Does anyone here use Sling tv?

What is the difference between a fire stick and a smart tv or just having a console like a ps4 that has all those apps?

A fire stick doesn't lock you into a single setup and also every smart TV I've seen has had absolutely dogshit software.

I think the Chromecast worked best though with the phone support.