Cosmos general

I've been working with Carl Sagan's COSMOS (1980) on in the background and holy shit is it comfy shit at 3am in the morning.
Why did nobody tell me it was this good? I don't even care about space or science and shit and modern fedoras made me stay away from it. But it's fantastic.
Twitch is showing all 13 episodes on repeat right now if anyone wants to relive it and shitpost together:

Just go to Twitch and search for "cosmos" since Sup Forums thinks a link is spam. There's a channel dedicated to it.

So my question is, what's the remake like? The one hosted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson. The original is so iconic and Carl Sagan is so enthusiastic and happy that I can't imagine it being anywhere near as good.
Is it even worth me looking at?

Other urls found in this thread:

thonyc.wordpress.com/2014/03/17/cartoons-and-fables-how-cosmos-got-the-story-of-bruno-wrong/
thonyc.wordpress.com/2014/03/14/a-strange-defence/
youtu.be/b0zedbXaNoE?t=17s
youtube.com/channel/UCZFipeZtQM5CKUjx6grh54g
armariummagnus.blogspot.mx/2009/05/agora-and-hypatia-hollywood-strikes.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Pld8wTa16Jk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pop Sci is cancer and you should feel bad
thonyc.wordpress.com/2014/03/17/cartoons-and-fables-how-cosmos-got-the-story-of-bruno-wrong/
thonyc.wordpress.com/2014/03/14/a-strange-defence/

Shut up man, everyone knows the reboot was trash. That shouldn't reflect on the original. Don't drag Sagan into this, he's dead

reading the book right now

Pop science is indeed a fucking cancer now (video related by an actual science person)
youtu.be/b0zedbXaNoE?t=17s

But back in 1979/80? Cosmos was revolutionary to be quite honest, family member. It got casuals interested in the universe and must surely have encouraged people into STEM fields.

Issac Arthur has amazing videos similar to Cosmos. I loved the one with the idea that all stars and matter will all be cold iron billions of years from now.
youtube.com/channel/UCZFipeZtQM5CKUjx6grh54g

Everything that tries to popularize turns into cancer. It forgoes accuracy and detail to appeal to the common denominator.
armariummagnus.blogspot.mx/2009/05/agora-and-hypatia-hollywood-strikes.html
If you really want to learn science then read a good book, not watch some shitty show on netflix or whatever.

Never watched it before, gonna watch it today. Thanks breh.

Sagan was a notoriously bad scientist whose endorsement of the Drake equation lead the way for phony "science" like Nuclear Winter and Global Warmism.
The part where he argues that god can exist because of evolution is laughable. You can't make metaphysical (philosophical) conclusions based on merely biolological evidence.

Evolution disproves the existence of a soul and by extension disproves the existence of gods from religions which require it. The drake equation was never posed as science, there's nothing phony about nuclear winters or global warming. You are clearly a standard near-retarded pol shitposter here to shill.

>Evolution disproves the existence of a soul

It does. Are you saying souls magically started appearing at some arbitrary point along the evolutionary chain? Or are you saying souls evolved from physical matter? I mean I know religious people are extremely unintelligent and can't process information logically so you can always come up with some ridiculous excuse for why evidence doesn't disprove your claims (i.e. god put dinosaur bones here to test our faith!), but yes, by any rational standard, evolution disproves the soul.

>Sagan was a notoriously bad scientist whose
Lol suck it. He was far from being a media clown

kek

And he advocated for a round Earth that is older than the Holy Bible accounts for, didn't praise Christ at the conclusion of every segment of his videos (or at all), and imbibed on illicit substances such as marijuana. He made good Christian Appalachian folks like myself look like we were somehow a part of the problem.

le god of the gaps

youtube.com/watch?v=Pld8wTa16Jk

>I don't even care about space or science and shit

I don't get how people like this exist, I'm convinced this is proof of being both dumb and a bad person. I bet you post on Sup Forums. If you never looked up and were filled with an intense curiosity and lust for knowledge then you are no better than any non-human animal.

The enlightened tolerance of the scientist.

This has nothing to do with science, just basic human curiosity. How is it possible to have such a pathetic excuse for a brain that you never had a phase of scouring through books or the internet trying to learn what those points of light in the sky were, and how many there are, and where are we, and what are we, and a thousand other burning questions? I honestly don't even get how that's possible, for me it's like trying to identify with a dog or a rabbit.

A soul is a metaphysical phenomenon, it can't be refuted by biological phenomena that depend on metaphysics.

Curiosity is forbidden in the current year.

Seriously, stop being autistic. Most people don't really like what you do, deal with it.

We can say with certainty due to the nature of the process of evolution that the human body is a biological "machine" whose parts are physical, developed over time, and have no magical component. You forgot to mention in your post that metaphysical phenomena don't fucking exist, you piece of shit, you just made them up and are claiming they're real.

new one is shit
watch connections instead

there are no souls you dumb nigger

Define a soul and define the cut off point for souls in extinct hominids

How have you never gone to church, sat with a holy community of your congregation, held hands and praised Christ together as one parish? How have you never gathered out at night on Black Friday with other Americans and tried to find some great sales? How have you never seen a loved one visit your farm with their family right as the harvest is nearing and prayed together thanking Jesus for another great year of crops? People who try to improve themselves intellectually past a certain point (see: scientists, engineers, etc.) are really just trying to supplant God. It isn't curiosity.

Evolution disproves the Biblical account of the creation of the world. If one of the most important parts of the Bible is clearly false then that drags down the credibility of the entire book. The soul is a Biblical concept, therefore the fact that we know the Bible to be wrong thanks to evolution casts severe doubt on the notion of a soul.

Every living thing is a manifestation of the universe. If there is such thing as a soul it's shared by everything and could be defined as the universe its self or even god (not bible god)

Read "I Am A Strange Loop" if you want to explore the ideas you're talking about

>The soul is a Biblical concept

>the science that studies physical phenomena has found that humans depend on physical phenomena, therefore humans depend solely on physical phenomena.
>the soul is a biblical concept
Why does Plato, Aristotle talk about it then?

>3am in the morning