Tfw you never got to work on Lord of the Rings

>tfw you never got to work on Lord of the Rings
>youtu.be/a2-t4_qKPSo
>youtu.be/EXNqgA5jMXs
>youtu.be/5PXuYK82rik

Seems so magical, that and the cast seemed to get along so well which strengthened the characters chemistry In the film's. Will there ever be a movie trilogy that tops Lord of the Rings?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/EXNqgA5jMXs
youtu.be/IfhMILe8C84
youtube.com/watch?v=p9FdKBVpkec
youtube.com/watch?v=sIwXCoMtq3c
youtube.com/watch?v=LTqHnlEwKB4&t
youtube.com/watch?v=nlNr-Vf9L2c
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No. I'm sorry. In the age of capeshit and CGI lazyness we won't get something as magical as LOTR.

>Will there ever be a movie trilogy that tops Lord of the Rings?
nah I don't think so
it was truly like capturing lightning in a bottle

>MUH FEEELLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSS

Fuck off, retards.

Back to Sup Forums and /toy/ with you.

It was such an amazing project and everyone enjoyed working on it and got along. Watching the Appendices is extremely comfy.
I love how the Fellowship all got special tattoos together (except for Gimli, who didn't really hang around with the rest sadly)

The difference between how the cast and crew experienced making LotR and The Hobbit is vast. Compare the behind-the-scenes Appendices stuff from both trilogies and it's just heartbreaking.
>LotR: everyone laughing and getting on, Peter Jackson is really into it, everyone from the costume department to the props department and set builders are overjoyed to be doing what they do
>Hobbit: actors playing the dwarves don't get on and get annoyed by each other, Armitage is always spending time alone, the actors have to sit still in a chair for five hours to put on prosthetics just to film for a full day in extremely heavy and uncomfortable suits, most of them only have two lines of dialogue so they're basically just extras for the entire duration of filming, McKellen breaks down in tears, Peter Jackson is lost and confused, hands in his hair, having no idea what to do

>orcs, and so far from orcland
>pippin and merry comparing dicks
>sam wanting his close up
>Sean bean literally climbing a mountain to get to the set
>if we flip over just save yourself

Gimli's actor didn't get the tattoo because it was elvish and a dwarf would never get and elvish tattoo.

Sean Bean is so fucking based

>tfw having my annual LOTR extended edition marathon at christmas
>tfw looking forward to 12 hours of Tolkino
I can't be the only one who's made up this "tradition".

A method actor until the very end, admirable.
To be fair though, John Rhys-Davies was the only one of the main cast who didn't have much of a good time. He was allergic to his prosthetic make-up and ceremoniously burned his head prosthetic after filming ended. He also didn't really join in with the others. Viggo, Orlando, Elijah and the others would go out drinking during weekends and stuff but Gimli stayed in his caravan all alone.

Did he dislike the rest of the cast?

Also he was afraid of flying in the helicopter so he hiked up the mountain every day when they were shooting there, took him like 2 hours to get there.
But w/e, John Rhys-Davies is god-tier.

idk but I think he just wasn't into that kind of thing. He was almost 60 when they shot LOTR, much older than most of the cast except for Ian McKellen and Christopher Lee.

>In 2004, Rhys-Davies stated the following in a controversial interview with a Welsh news website about the Muslim population, stating:

>There is a demographic catastrophe happening in Europe that nobody wants to talk about, that we daren't bring up because we are so cagey about not offending people racially. And rightly we should be. But there is a cultural thing as well. By 2020, 50 per cent of the children in Holland under the age of 18 will be of Muslim descent.[19]

/ourguy/

>youtu.be/EXNqgA5jMXs

This is fucking adorable.

That is also a tradition I have. Though I didn't get to do it last year so it should be even sweeter this year.

Whoops wrong link
>youtu.be/IfhMILe8C84

>That is also a tradition I have.

>tfw you never got to work on Lord of the Rings

except I will. I'm going to win the lottery and spend 90% of the money on a film like lord of the rings. it will have magic, wizards, princes, evil men, spies, kings, armies.

>>pippin and merry comparing dicks

What's this now???

It would be so awesome if someone who won the lottery actually did something like this. I sometimes buy lottery tickets thinking that if I win I'll spend it on making movies.

I don't think he actively disliked the rest of the cast, he was just a bit of a loner and preferred to read a book or something in his rare moments of free time. And like user said, he was quite a bit older than most of the cast and didn't much fancy the idea of going clubbing with everyone. It's still a shame though, there's so many photos and videos of the Fellowship actors going out and having fun, but he missed out on all that camaraderie.

Same here. I thought every LotR fan did a marathon at Christmas? Don't tell me there are people who don't?

>Peter Jackson has severe arachnophobia and was seen to be totally terrified, physically ill and pale during post-production when in the edit room for the Shelob and Mirkwood spiders scenes on which he insisted to be included to make sure they got it right
Jackson is pretty based.

> he was afraid of flying in the helicopter so he hiked up the mountain every day when they were shooting there, took him like 2 hours to get there.
But w/e, John Rhys-Davies is god-tier

That was Sean Bean who was afraid of choppers hence him hiking up a mountain

The whole cast was god-tier. When Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli find the pile of dead Uruk Hai and think Merry and Pippin are dead, Aragorn kicks a helmet and cries out in frustration. They did a couple of shots and one time Viggo kicked too hard and broke his fucking foot, didn't stop for a milisecond and just went with it and completed the take. That's the actual shot we see in the movie, and that scream is Viggo in genuine pain.
Your average actor would stop and call for help or something, but Viggo used the fact he broke his foot to put more emotion in the scream. top man.

Does ANYBODY have a total collection torrent for LOTR? I keep finding just extended edition blu-rays but I want both versions.

Or does anybody have any invites to PTP?

Viggo is a bit of a nutter.

"a bit"

>That was Sean Bean who was afraid of choppers hence him hiking up a mountain

Didn't Viggo hike up with him every time?

No

Lotr threads are the true /comfy/ of this lost board.

That sounds like something Viggo would do.

IIRC he started because he liked the look it gave Sean Bean.

blessed post

youtube.com/watch?v=p9FdKBVpkec

>Frodo getting the light in the phial

His mythril shirt was supposed to be worth more than the entire Shire, how much was this phial worth?

Oh he's definitely not a conventional guy and a bit weird in his thoughts and actions, but that doesn't take away that continuing a scene after breaking your foot because it would make for a more genuine shot is cool as fuck.

I seem to remember that he did. Maybe not every time, but he dd walk with him for support and company.

Is it true that god didn’t get involved because he was afraid the ring would corrupt him and then he’d destroy the universe?

Nah it was just because it was time for men to fix their own mistakes.

Well it was literally starlight, so I don't really think money applies

nah you should watch the appendices for Desolation of Smaug and Battle of the Five Armies, they're just as good as the ones for Lord of the Rings. An Unexpected Journey was weird with how they presented them, but they fixed it with the latter two. They're better than the movies themselves and refute a lot of the things you brought up as criticisms. The dwarves are all pretty based and have great banter with each other, McKellen is much happier since he has actors he's friends with to work with and so we get lots of heartwarming scenes where he's just hanging out with Christopher Lee, Cate Blanchett, Sylvester McCoy, and Hugo Weaving.

And yeah I noticed that about Armitage but he opens up in the Battle of the Five Armies appendices and talks about how he tried to immerse himself in the character and material by constantly reading Tolkien when he wasn't filming and distanced himself from the others since his character was also distancing himself from them. Also I just got the vibe he's really introverted so that might've added to it, not that he was being a diva or hated the job. He seemed super grateful to be involved in it.

Last 15 minutes of the BotFA appendices is as tear-jerking as the end of Return of the King, if not more. Shit is like Elijah's Last Day from the LotR Appendices times 10, since the editor or whoever treated it as a farewell to both trilogies. It's unironically kino.

Nah, he just hated being Gimli since he was constantly in pain from his reaction to the prosthetics for like a whole year straight. Watch his speech to the crew at the end of Cameras in Middle-Earth from Return of the King. He starts talking about how they were the greatest crew he's ever worked with and has to stop because he gets too emotional.

This the end of the hobbit appendices are more of a completion of all six movies since it was mostly the same crew for 16 years.

>When Elijah comes back to do his scenes and says he turned 18 on this set back on rings, hes 30 now

Even if you dont like the hobbit movies it is a very come full circle moment at the end where they appreciate everyones work over all 6 movies. They even end the whole thing with a line from viggo

>Just save yourself
Holy fuck my sides

oh nice, that's from the return of the king game, I remember watching all those videos

>angelic being creates a superweapon primarily to control the Elves
>"naw, let men fix their own mistakes"

K

The first movie's Appendices was more bleak, I agree, but there's still lots of bleack stuff in the DoS and BotFA Appendices.
The dwarves clearly don't have the chemistry the Fellowship did. There's those scenes where they all have get get into make-up at like 4am, and one of the actors is one of those people who can't stand silence and always needs to talk and talk, and you can see that half the cast is sick of his shit because they have to go through this every morning, hours of make-up, you've just woken up, and there's "that guy" who always needs to be talking.
Sure, McKellen had much more fun once he was allowed to actually act with other actors in the same room and that was nice, but there was still stuff going on that made the cast weary and sick of the whole thing.

As for Armitage, it always looked like him saying he wanted to immerse himself into Thorin's character by distancing himself was an excuse to just get away from it all and get some peace and quiet, he's an introvert as you pointed out. I never said he hated the job, just that he kept to himself and that in general the camaraderie between the cast wasn't even close to the camaraderie between the LotR cast.

And however much you might get on with your fellow actors, some of the dwarves were noticably upset about it all. They thought it would be an amazing experience, but instead they're wearing ridiculously heavy costumes and walking about. Bombur doesn't even get a single line in the entire trilogy. He's just there to get up at 4am, get make-up done and walk behind some other actors. Not exactly a dream job.

And don't forget Peter Jackson being in genuine distress when filming the battle scenes. He just told everyone to go away and he sat there with his hands in his hair, not having the slightest clue what was going to be filmed tomorrow as he hadn't written it yet.

Post your Appendixfu

>Good evening little shitposter! What can I do for you? If you're looking for guaranteed replies, we've got some nice cozy faggot-sized threads available, always proud to cater to autistic folk Mr....

>Hothead. My name's Hothead.

>BRAAAAPPP

What did PJ mean by this?

Plus the appendices.

>reminder that Peter Jackson wanted a cameo where he'd burst out from a wicker barrel and play a flute in Laketown during that scene where the Laketown residents use secret signals to inform the Master of Laketown of Bard's actions
>he actually filmed it
>he told his wife about it and she said it was the most stupid thing he's ever said and told him to cut the scene

I know most people would say it's dumb but I really wish they went with the Sauron vs. Aragorn thing

jesus fucking christ

just lost some respect for him

Probably not much in terms of replacement value, since Galadrial could make another one easily enough.

max comfy

>you will never get to headbutt Viggo after you wrap up filming

Nah, I liked the idea and I understood the need for Aragorn to have a specific foe to fight in that part of the film while Frodo and Sam went into Mount Doom.
Sure, Sauron appearing would annoy some fans, but it'd be better than what we did get, which was Aragorn VS random troll.

>Sure, Sauron appearing would annoy some fans, but it'd be better than what we did get, which was Aragorn VS random troll.

Nope, it would've been dumb. Like really dumb.

Viggo Mortensen being Viggo Mortensen.
youtube.com/watch?v=sIwXCoMtq3c

They wanted a spiritual, beautiful Sauron to appear at first. But I'd have liked to see full armour Sauron as seen in the prologue fighting Aragorn on that battlefield.
Okay, it would be stupid I guess. But Aragorn deserved a cool final fight scene with a known foe during that battle. Maybe not Sauron then, but anything but the troll would've been good.
They should've kept Gothmog alive, he'd make for a good mini boss for Aragorn to fight.

>They should've kept Gothmog alive, he'd make for a good mini boss for Aragorn to fight.

You do this on purpose don't you

I got interested in that Hobbit fan edit mentioned in the other thread and started watching it. Currently halfway through and I have to say they did an amazing job at filtering out all of the crap they put in the trilogy, it does wonders to the pacing. They kept out all the Azog scenes except for when he turns up at the eagles section and they even left out Thorin's fight without it feeliing weird or oddly cut. No cuts to black or anything, it just feels natural. They kept Legolas in but cut a lot of his fanservice scenes, instead of swooping down and killing four giant spiders it just cuts from Bilbo realizing the Ring is effecting him to the dwarves looking around confused before being surrounded by the elves. No Tauriel in sight, no love story.

2 hours in and they just met Bard, very intested in how they deal with Laketown, Smaug and the five armies. I thought this would be an amateuristic edit with lots of jarring cuts, but they seem to know what to cut and what to keep in, they even put some EE stuff in because it works with the story.
I guess I'm praising it a bit too much now and it sounds like I'm shilling this thing but it's free to download anyway, I'm not getting any money out of this. Point is, I recommend you to give it a watch, it completely does away with everything that ruined the Hobbit trilogy.

What edit?

Honestly for a movie like this i would have done anything to be a part of it.

Intern, get coffee for a bit part actor, simply just hold doors, anything.

Link to the edit?

>No Tauriel in sight, no love story.
Good. That shit felt forced every time they tried to show it.

Jackson's movies were garbage. Books are definitely superior.

well I'm pretty sure that was a joke and wouldn't have made the final cut anyway, but even so Stephen Colbert has a cameo in that exact same scene and there's even a closeup of his face but it's not immersion breaking at all. You wouldn't know it was him if no one pointed it out, and even though I know it's him I'm still unsure when I see it because of the makeup and the lighting.

It's a 4-hour fan edit that keeps true to the book as much as it can, done by a group called Maple Films. You can easily google it, they even give you a download button.

I'm with you on that. I'd do anything from bringing coffee, serving the catering, brushing the horses, anything just to have been part of the making of LotR. Lots of people got the chance as well, like the hundreds of New Zealanders that got to wear armour and long blonde wigs to be part of the Rohirrim.

Colbert's cameo was a lot more subtle. This was Peter Jackson popping out of a barrel and playing a flute.
>well I'm pretty sure that was a joke and wouldn't have made the final cut anyway
They don't set up camera angles, fix the lighting, get the extras in position just for a joke. Jackson was serious about that cameo (though he obviously knew it was silly), they even filmed the whole scene with him in it and had to re-do the whole scene because he decided not to do it anyway.

Do what on purpose? I'm talking about Gothmog the Orc, not the Balrog guy. Gothmog the Orc would make more sense as a final fight for Aragorn. He appeared a lot during the film and really stood out, and kept not dying. The EE shows him getting killed, but I'm just saying he'd have been a better fit for Aragorn to fight one-on-one during the final battle, because the audience already knew Gothmog and hated him. Would've been more satisfying than a random troll.

They don't set up camera angles, fix the lighting, get the extras in position just for a joke.

You realize that those films probably have like 5 hours left on the cutting room floor? Movies film A LOT of scenes that never make it, and if they don't make it, that happens, its a normal thing.

>some disabled orc being on-par with fucking Aragorn

Please respond

funny how they could never make such a movie today, because of the lack of diversity

>no diversity in lotr

There's men, elves, orcs, hobbits, wizards, trolls, goblins, ents, eagles, demons, dwarves

Even so, do you think they'd waste time and budget filming Jackson coming out of a barrel as a joke if they never intended to use it? I'm saying Jackson literally did this and filmed it because he thought it would be a funny cameo he might keep in or might cut out. But when his wife found out she told him it was one of the most stupid ideas he's ever had and they needed to cut it.
Also at this stage Jackson was on the borderline of a burn-out, so I'm glad his wife was the voice of reason here. You can watch the scene including Jackson's flute thing in the Appendices, you instantly feel it's ridiculous.

At least he was a character, not a random troll or orc. Though I do see a problem with him going man-to-man with Aragorn, but we could've had a scene where Gothmog orders some orcs and trolls to subdue Aragorn, and Gothmog slowly walks over to him, does a little speech while readying his sword.
Then, I dunno, Legolas and Gimli kill the surrounding orcs and Aragorn is freed and impales Gothmog through his ugly face and makes a witty remark

If anyone wants to see the scene it's right here at 1:42
youtube.com/watch?v=LTqHnlEwKB4&t
Also go to 2:15 for Legolas calling Tauriel a slut and 0:56 for some great dwarven architecture

I watched that edit a while ago and it was pretty neat. They even put in an intermission in the middle just after Bard shows up which was a nice little nod to the fact that originally when it was supposed to be two movies, they planned to end the first one at that part of the story

Is the appendices worth watching?

user the Appendices (for both Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit but especially LotR) are better than most movies and that's not hyperbolic at all. Watch them as soon as you can. They're not hard to find if you don't feel like buying the extended dvd's/blu-rays (even though you should already have those), I know you can definitely download them from TPB. The Hobbit ones might be only included in downloads rather than standalone downloads (check the ones tagged "grym" or something like that) like the Lord of the Rings ones

incredibly so

tons of interesting facts about the movies and they're just incredibly comfy, super easy to blaze through them

I cannot recommend them highly enough. It depends whether you're into behind-the-scenes/the making of kind of thing though. I know some people hate to see that because it breaks the illusion.

But I love seeing all those things, how the movies were made, how they discuss the scenes, designs the sets, forge the weapons. I love seeing the cast chilling out in between takes, I love learning about how they made certain scenes. I'm a complete sucker for that stuff and I wish more movies made an Appendices-type documentary to go along with the actual movie.
All of them are a great watch and you get a lot of insight and funny anecdotes.

Orlando Bloom in particular seemed to have a lot of fun on the sets of all these movies

youtube.com/watch?v=nlNr-Vf9L2c

I like how he was older than the guy who played his father. I know Elves don't really age and wrinkle and everything, but I still found it funny