The Great debate

Who is stronger and would they survive if placed in each other's universe?

Gandalf is some sort of God, Dumbledore is just a guy who does magic.

Gotta go with Gandalf on this one. He's literally a spiritual entity.

Depends if Dumbledore has the Elder Wand or not.

If Dumbledore could land a quick death spell he would theoretically win, but Galdalf is stronger overall

Gandalf will not let DumDumDore pass

What is Gandalf going to do to voldamort? Shine a light on him?

Gandalf resisted the One Ring
Dumbledore: duuur let me put on this cursed ring so I can see my dead sister my boyfriend killed

Gandalf is a metaphysical angel. Dumbledore is a human

That’s not even a debate, you stupid fuck. Gandalf is like a force of nature. You just made this thread because they’re wizards with white beards, you retarded cunt.

If dumbledore was the master of the hallows he probably is stronger

Well it kind of is in the sense that I don't really see a situation with the two fighting actually happening. They'd probably settle it with a game of chess or some stupid wizard knock off version

Gandalf
Gray or White
Dumbledore aint shit compared to the OG

Gandalf

Dumbledore literally cried over drinking some water

If Gandalf was put into the Harry Potter world, then there'd be no restrictions from Eru on using his power. Dumbledore would be fucked.

This isn't even close

Gandalf is obviously "stronger" but he would lose in a duel against Dumbledore. Gandalf's magic isn't of the "point at someone to make them explode/shit themselves/turn into a newt" variety, he would be taken out in seconds because he has no defense against that kind of thing.

>Silmarillion tier Maiar on modern Earth without being bound by Eru Iluvatar

Holy Kek

Gandalf killed a balrog he can take on dumbledore.

A death spell probably wouldn't kill Gandalf. Gandalf is like an angel, "killing him" could theoretically make him even more powerful.

HP wizards are way too OP with what their magic allows them to do. They can have persistent enchanted items and charms. Why should any of them abide muggles, why should any of them live in poverty? Ron Weasley could blow up Parliament and Buckingham Palace and he's a total fuck up.

Only if Eru resurrects him.

What IS a balrog though?

in the lord of the rings universe, the most powerful beings by class are:

eru iluvatar (aka god)
valar (higher class of ainur)
maiar (lower class of ainur)

balrogs and wizards are maiar, except balrogs have been corrupted. they're basically angels that can have their physical forms destroyed but cannot be killed.

So Gandalf didnt KILL the Balrog?

If durin's bane killed gandalf on the bridge, no one in the fellowship would have been able to kill it would they?

Solar flare
Barrier
Telekinesis
No incantations

Gandalf is a literal higher being akin to an angel, fuck outta here with your Dumbledore shit

Dumbledore could fire so many delayed death spells and Gandalf would dodge everything. He's an Angel.

Dumbledore has a larger spell book but Gandalf has a higher hp. Take your pick

gandalf as a mage has no chance against dumbledore , another thing is gandalf as a "maiar" spirit but even with thatgandalf was a low level angel/maiar with no powerful abilities dumbledore ass rapes him

One is dead. The other isn't.

The balrog tripped Gandalf up with something as simple as a whip, and Gandalf took weeks to defeat it. He can't even fly or teleport.

Dumbledore has the full arsenal of typical video game wizard spells that are super tailored for speed and combat, he would fuck up the balrog and Gandalf alike by just flying around out of range and flinging mountains and death spells at them.

Nope, no one, Gandalf himself says Durin´s Bane is superior to all of them.

There are some instances of men killing Balrogs in The Silmarillion, but the canon in that book is very confusing because Tolkien never finished it.

This foe is beyond any of you™

gandalf is a mere human "in his human form" he has enhanced longevity and low level magic/spells he cant use his maiar powers so dumbledore destroys him, a fair battle is maiar (olorin/gandalf) vs dumbledore

Gandalf would buttfuck him so hard Dumbledore would turn straight.

movie legolas will wind surf up the column and put 3 arrows in his head

Beat his ass.

Basically, but Eru isn´t going to let him come back, so, he is basically dead.

dumbledore would wreck some shit, fucking fireballs and lightning shit, but gandalf is pretty much unkillable because muh eru

talk to birds

Dumbledore is literally just some old fag.

He did.

By going to the realm of mortals, these beings can now be killed. Gandalf was so badass, he got battle ressed and buffed.

this 2bh
legolas can solo armies, balrogs ain't shit to the elfgod of faggotville

Gandalf could take on 10 Dumbledores in the sack.

I doubt even Gandalf can prevent Harry Potter from being the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

In a random contest of cheap tricks? Yes, dumbledore could win that temporarily.

But if Gandalf felt like it, he could pull a "Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe" on every single wizard and witch in the entire planet and leave a world of nothing but muggles left.

He's literally immortal and magic is as natural to him as breathing, but he chose to limit himself to spawning as a feeble old grey wizard so that he could work diplomacy and trust instead of ruling the world of man via terror.

The first time some punk wizard forces him to respawn, Gandalf is not coming back neutered to deal with harmless muggles, no, he'd come in full goodbye-dumbledore mode. And don't forget, magical tools are not a potter-invention. A ring of power can be a far greater invisibility cloak, you don't have your slippers visible if you try to jog.

An immortal maiar with however many months or years it takes to have a full anti-wizard war kit is gonna make voldemort (who casually kills half of the wizarding world by having his crew just use the equivalent of plain pistols, which no one except the top 1% of potter-wizards can ever use teleporting/invisibility/trickery to avoid) look like a garden snake.

you're doing god's work

Nope and it wouldn't even be close.

But could Gandalf even possibly EVEN TOUCH Madara Uchiha? Let alone defeat him. And I’m not talking about Edo Tensei Uchiha Madara. I’m not talking about Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara either. Hell, I’m not even talking about Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan and Rinnegan doujutsus (with the rikodou abilities and being capable of both Amateratsu and Tsukuyomi genjutsu), equipped with his Gunbai, a perfect Susano’o, control of the juubi and Gedou Mazou, with Hashirama Senju’s DNA implanted in him so he has mokuton kekkei genkai and can perform yin yang release ninjutsu while being an expert in kenjutsu and taijutsu.

kek

So, we get a demi-god who can confront evil, and they get a faggot who does magic tricks?

I'd take that deal.

> Dumbledore stumbles out of the castle, and sees Mount Doom and the gates of Mordor
> Dumbledore pees his robes
> He's never seen again. Rumors are he moved to Rhun with Radagast and they run an Inn for gay travelers.

>Gandalf steps outside of Hogwarts, and sees Voldemort's army
>Says "Who is this faggot?" and turns them all to greasy ashes
>Has butterbeer and anal sex with students in his office.

Dude, he smote a fucking balrog.

They're basically demons. Melkor is Satan, Sauron and the balrogs and the rest are the demons of hell.

actually, literally this.

Gandalf would crush Voldemort immediately since the Valar wouldn't give a fuck about some mortal fag.

Dumbledore apparates the Fellowship -- or just Frodo -- into Mordor, chuck the ring into its fires, then pop out of there.

Dumbledore would die of Elf Aids. He's gay, don't forget, Middle Earth would be a candy store to him.

What kind of form would he assume for full-on wizard murder? Something akin to a Balrog?

Never read or saw Harry Potter. Red pill me on double door

this. See our comfy Tolkien thread

Reminder that these are the most retarded debates to have ever existed and are created by the worst man-children to have ever existed.

I know this is Copypasta, but:

>Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series

What
Why? Spielburg literally shits gold. If someone said to me "Hey Spielburg wants to direct your-" after I got their cock out of my mouth I would say HOLY FUCK YES JUST MAKE SURE I GET RESIDUALS GLORY GLORY BE I AM GOING TO MAKE SO MUCH FUCKING MONEY

I think that's a fake rumor. Everything I've ever read is that Speilberg was te #1 choice by everyone involved, but he turned it down as "too easy", and wasn't interested - he's then rumored to have later approached Warners with the idea of combining the books and animating it, like a Pixar flick, but Warners said no. That *might* have been when she said no, but I never saw anything about her saying no to him the first time around.
Everyone knew the money would be huge, you'd have to work hard to fuck up Harry Potter. I remember the comments back then, people were calling him crazy for turning it down.

>too easy
That sounds more like Spielburg, yeah. He's all about making artsy shit in his old age.

he's a powerful wizard in his own setting but it's a dumb question he isn't really comparable to gandalf

it's stupid to even ask but people here will humor it because they want to suck off LOTR/gandalf and shit on HP

A wise, friendly, and in-universe powerful wizard. He's the source of the HOWEVER meme on Sup Forums.

>Well done well done gandalf
>however
>*apparates behind you*
>abra kadabra
>nothing personnel kid
Gandal aint got no shit for dumbledore

>wizards
it doesn't matter, they'll both go dress shopping then service a gloryhole

Maybe, but I still find them fascinating comparing the lore of two seemingly similar franchises. This debate is essentially the fantasy version of empire destroyer vs enterprise

Where would you guys place cear dalben amongst these two?

That depends is it Gandalf Blanco?

Dumbledore is the greatest wizard who ever lived.
But then Gandalf is basically a God. Not a fair comparison at all.

Illusions user, he's just some guy who does illusions

No man ever killed a balrog, only elf lords and they all died

The balrog is a primordial spiritual being too. Saying that "oh he got beat by the fucking balrog what a pussy lmao" is one of the dumbest things you could have possibly posted

assuming this isn't a bait post, and that I'm not a retard for replying to a nearly 3 hours old post, you should probably kys

What was the whole point of the movies then? If he's like a god, he could've just poofed the ring into mordor and/or if he's such an invincible deity, he couldve maybe just walked it in himself and not have to bother anybody.

>LITERALLY A GOD ANGEL UNKILLABLE HIGHER BEING

Saruman died from some faggot slitting his throat.

Might as well say Dumbledore can't lose because he'll just go to Wizard Heaven if Gandalf kills him.

This shit made me raff pretty hard, thank you.

Maiar can't truly die since they are the setting's angel equivalents, Saruman merely lost his physical body

>Gandalf's magic isn't of the "point at someone to make them explode/shit themselves/turn into a newt" variety,
then wtf is his magic if he can't do that shit? read tarot cards? if he can't at the very least explode somebody by pointing a wand at them, he is absolutely not stronger in any way.

Dumbledore can't truly die because he'll just go to the Wizard Heaven Train Station if Gandalf kills his physical body. I guess it's a draw.

He sets fire to a clearing in LotR and burns a bunch of wargs to death.

The night was old, and westward the waning moon was setting, gleaming fitfully through the breaking clouds. Suddenly Frodo started from sleep. Without warning a storm of howls broke out fierce and wild all about the camp. A great host of Wargs had gathered silently and was now attacking them from every side at once.
‘Fling fuel on the fire!’ cried Gandalf to the hobbits. ‘Draw your blades, and stand back to back!’
In the leaping light, as the fresh wood blazed up, Frodo saw many grey shapes spring over the ring of stones. More and more followed. Through the throat of one huge leader Aragorn passed his sword with a thrust; with a great sweep Boromir hewed the head off another. Beside them Gimli stood with his stout legs apart, wielding his dwarf-axe. The bow of Legolas was singing.
In the wavering firelight Gandalf seemed suddenly to grow: he rose up, a great menacing shape like the monument of some ancient king of stone set upon a hill. Stooping like a cloud, he lifted a burning branch and strode to meet the wolves. They gave back before him. High in the air he tossed the blazing brand. It flared with a sudden white radiance like lightning; and his voice rolled like thunder.
‘Naur an edraith ammen! Naur dan i ngaurhoth!’ he cried.
There was a roar and a crackle, and the tree above him burst into a leaf and bloom of blinding flame. The fire leapt from tree-top to tree-top. The whole hill was crowned with dazzling light. The swords and knives of the defenders shone and flickered. The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew, and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain. All the others fled.
Slowly the fire died till nothing was left but falling ash and sparks; a bitter smoke curled above the burned tree-stumps, and blew darkly from the hill, as the first light of dawn came dimly in the sky. Their enemies were routed and did not return.

Gandalf crushes Dumbledore's throat via telekinesis

>Dumbledore is just a gay who does magic.

Fixed.

Who is the bigger gay pedophile, Gandalf or Dumbledore?

He's not some omnipotent God like the Christian one, he's just a higher being, in his own tier of Gods. LotR has a whole tier of differently ranked Gods and Gandalf is one of the lower-ranking but still very powerful Gods, five of which were sent to Middle-Earth to watch over it and guide the people.
He's powerful, but still corruptable by the Ring, and walking into Mordor would probably get him killed. But then he'd likely just be resurrected again.

underrated post

More like an warrior angel.
Also Sauron>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HP Bad Guy.

Did you miss him killing Balrog on a mountain top by charging his sword with lighting then hitting him with the power of a nuke?
The fight was so grueling and violent he literally levels up after it.

The fuck you guys on about? Gandalf would be fucked. He cant go full power and he never did. Gandalf is not some allmighty angel powerwise. His powers are more subtle and his real power is his wisdom. He does not at all have angelic powers, since he is in a human form.

>he chose to limit himself
wasn't it eru who sent them down in the guise of wizards and assigned them their duties of guiding and nudging the mortals along, not anything they did of their own volition? and again, him coming back after fighting the balrog was capital G God intervening

Every word of this made sense to me. How fucked am I?

I'm rock hard right now.

except dumbledore really is dead and he can never come back.

Maiar usually aren't "resurrected" in this universe, they simply lose completely the hability to have a corporal form. Eru Illuvatar basically did some magic trick to allow Gandalf to return to his body while being even more powerful than before his death

Then Gandalf would also be dead if his physical body were killed unless having other gods resurrect him is somehow considered part of his power.

may as well tbqh