The Americains

Just watched the pilote.
Is this show just a power fantasy for white middle-aged couples or is there more to it than that?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QC9TyQ3ckp8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's probably one of the few good series on TV right now Tee B. Aych

It's pretty good for the first few seasons.

I heard that before. Could you elaborate?
Watching it I'm getting the feeling it's a bit dishonest in its pandering to white middle-class Americans, who happen to be the main bulk of critics and Sup Forums posters.

no, it's actually a pretty good and very solid show. i can't even think of a filler episode, every episode pushes the plot forward

It isn't pandering at all, you've seen one episode. The writing's great, watch more.

>dishonest
>power fantasy
>white middle class americans

Fuck off, you don't deserve good television like the americans.

If these are your only observations for the first episode you are one dumb fuck.

My Medical Device Engineering Lecturer looks almost exactly like Keri Russell.

It suffers from network show syndrome. Amazing premise and cast 99 percent of show focused on them being spies season 1. Then as each season progresses the amount of time spent on the actual "show" i.e spy shit. decreases. Pretty soon its gonna be 50 percent sitcom about their fucking daughter and maybe 50 percent spy shit.

it's not for the likes of you

hot

its a show about spies the same way sons of anarchy is a show about bikers, that is to say, its just a soap opera for women masquerading as something cool. the shows like 80% family drama and romance and a lot of the spywork is just more family drama and romance. its not bad for that but don't expect anything more out of it

I like every season of the show but they do need to stop focusing so much on Paige. Paige is cancer for the show, outside of her story arcs it's a really fascinating, well told story with an amazing soundtrack actually.

youtube.com/watch?v=QC9TyQ3ckp8

It's the ultimate pleb filter show. Breaking Bad fans need not apply.

How fucking retarded do you have to be to actually think this?

How is this show close to a Soap Opera anyways? Nearly every episode has some spy work or something related to spy work in it.

Seriously explain yourself.

I dont know how you got some power fantasy aspect out of it
The main conflicts/drama is pretty well spelled out in the pilot
>Living a fictional loving family life creating the difficulties of knowing what feelings are real and just pretend
>Being loyal to your country while raising kids who are loyal to theirs
>Realizing that they are fighting for something that treats them like shit while subverting a country that treats them really well

at least she's a qt

My best guess is he misunderstands things like human relationships and emotions being an important aspect of a show as soap opera
Even though the premise of dual loyalties would naturally require exploring what characters feel

I knew it, people who defend it have 0 arguments, and this sounds like the honest truth.

>some spywork

and the rest is family or romance drama. 80% might've been facetious but for the 4 seasons i watched, it felt more like watching a soap opera, and most of the spywork was just seducing people, which is just more romance shit.

>tfw Nadezhda will never rape and murder you

>first episode
>man looks out for his daughter and beats le evil pedophile
>woman beats her rapist (who spent two days in a trunk)
>not a power fantasy
That shit was written to be relatable, not because it was interesting.

best tushy on tv

Pretty funny how the people they had to seduce in episode 1-2 were good looking.
And they tell me it's not a power fantasy?
The show would suddenly become more interesting if they had to fuck ugly people for their job.

Sup Forums often calls Mad Men a soap opera so that tells you all you need to know about that term. They view any portrayal of human relationships as feminine and cliche and thus a "soap opera"

you know what you're getting into when you watch mad men. i was told this was like 24 and felt lied to when it was just a bunch of people crying.

>most of the spywork was just seducing people

Believe it or not, thats a lot of real spywork. You get into people's pants and you get information.

but lets forget that

>they bug a clock and poison people as leverage
>they bug a pen and get it into the fbi
>they bug the mail carrier and have to kill a witness
>they intercept a possible flipped agent
>they prepare to assassinate politicians when Reagan gets shot
>they have to transfer a deadly poison back to russia
>they have to get info on a stealth bomber
>they have to manipulate the mujaheddin to kill his conspirators
>they get photos of americans training iranians

they do A LOT of shit.

stopped watching because of paige and her one facial expression

paige a cute

>russian
>white

the drama resulting from maintaining the fiction of suburban normalcy while being spies is kind of the point.

>they bug the mail carrier and have to kill a witness
That shit was tense. It was harder to watch than some of the physical violence on the show.

Yeah because Martha is conventionally attractive

i seem to recall a flasbhack to peter's training where he had to get it up for some ugly old broad

did you miss the entire spy training background?

Phillip had to have gay sex and Elizabeth got fucking raped

>one of the few good series on TV
maybe in season 4, not season 5 which was absolutely horrible
this guy is on point, the fags will tell you otherwise, but this show is mostly soap opera. there's barely any spy stuff and the argument
>it's not james bond
is retarded. no, it's not james bond or archer, but there's still barely any spy stuff. realistic or not.
Like the show spends a half of the season with philip's bastard son traveling to american only for him to get send back to russia because "reasons". Riveting storylines. Best TV of the decade! Hilarious
it is, you might be in denial about it but others aren't. Mad men is THE definition of a soap opera

season 2 is garbage
>pandering to white middle-class Americans
oh they pander all right when the wife fucks a black guy and the husband is perfectly okay with it. it's the ultimate power fantasy

one of the few good decision this show ever did. still, she should have died a long time ago.
it's not the network show syndrome, it's the "housewives pay for tv so we have to pander to them" syndrome

>its a show about spies the same way sons of anarchy is a show about bikers
soa has actually tons of biker shit compared to the americucks. it's a soap opera yes but it has more biker action than spy shit in americucks

she has great ass only because she has no tits

Please tell me what constitutes a soap opera.

What is this fucking spy kids “ spy work “ most of the time is merely observing and reporting nothing too out of the ordinary I bet the actual thing is more boring and detailed

What seasons are actually good ?

season 1, little to no paige bullshit
season 4 is probably the best one
season 2 and 3 is mediocre
season 5 is the worst so far

5 pump chump

>a series of television or radio programmes about the lives and problems of a particular group of characters
>A soap opera is a popular television drama series about the daily lives and problems of a group of people who live in a particular place.
>a television or radio drama serial dealing typically with daily events in the lives of the same group of characters.

all fit The Americans, or Mad Men

That fits literally every show you stupid fuck.

>Sopranos
soap opera
>The Wire
soap opera
>Breaking Bad
soap opera
>cheers
soap opera

Now tell me, what constitutes it as a soap opera, you use it as a derogatory word, so Id like to know.

Martha has a 8/10 ass tho

no. Martha is as plain jane as plain jane gets.

there is nothing about martha that is more than 5/10

Wow this doesn't really encourage me to keep watching

you really should watch the whole thing.

It is the best series on TV

the whole series is great. except pasta tim. that fucker needs to die

well, you're right. all of these tv shows ARE soap operas, and you're delusional if you think otherwise.
>It is the best series on TV
lmao it's not even best show on FX

I suppose you are watching sitcoms then.

Is it better than Mad Men? Better than the Wire?
How can this very average shit be the best series on TV? How old are you? What have you been watching? The hell man.

The fucking wire has been off the air for like 8 years now. its not on tv anymore.

and mad men? come on.

I don't know how people can still treat this show as anything other than a fantasy/sitcom show. The amount of times. Phillip and Elizabeth almost get caught/killed is insane. None of their actions have any lasting consequences and they seemingly always make it out unscathed. The Fbi are portrayed as complete idiots compared to the KGB and rarely do anything smart. To say that this show is anything better than the Walking Dead or Breaking Bad at this point is asinine at this point..

>Worse than The Walking Dead
I've never seen it, is it really that bad?

>is it really that bad
no, it's not that bad. he's overacting. the show has its problem bu it's not a garbage like the walking pleb
>this is the average americuck audience
christ
this, this guy is clearly delusional.

While being good one of the wrong aspects of the show is that spies didn't do executions or kidnapping, they were too valuable assets to risk their positions, but a show only about a fake family gathering infos would've been awful

It's a pretty decent show. Not groundbreaking but consistently entertaining. Looks nice too.

You're a terrible reviewer. Stop watching this immediately and stick to comedy

It's the best show on tv op. Watch the first two seasons at least and don't listen to Sup Forums contrarians. This is the most critically acclaimed series in the world right now.

You left out that a big part of the definition of soap opera is "melodrama".

hes clearly not going for maximum partner pleasure

they film parts of this in my home town. I've driven by that house more than a few times to see if Holly was there.

It's not bad, just slow. Watching on a weekly basis is tedious, and even binging can drag on. Entire episodes dedicated to forgetful side-characters. Some truly amazing scenes scattered throughout. Gets better in later seasons when the cast of characters expands.

in most dictionaries there is no mention of the word "melodrama" but keep going americuck.

Literally was a body double
Sorry pal

and for good reason in my opinion. The last season was a bit slower than the show usually is but there were some really fantastic moments. The episode where they kill the two traitors in Boston is really fucking great, very suspenseful and the ending to the episode lives up to the hype

>pi lot eh

What did he mean by this

Why hasn't Philip fucked that one girl yet?

>Savs Mayatna
?

where can i find more user

He's not a pedophile?

what a homo

>called The Americans
>picture of 2 white characters

>they also aren't fat

Well they are actually Russian

you're just mad that your neighbor doesn't bring over a six pack of the high life

>brings Truman beer
>brings Philip beer

is this guy eternal /friendcore/?

Based Stan

T H A N K S F O R T H E B E E R

Once S3 starts it becomes god-tier

I think Walking Pleb is more up your alley