The Force Awakens

When did you realize that this movie was going to be bad?
For me it was when Oscar Isaac said
>it'll be alright
to orange R2D2, and you could see and hear that he couldn't take the scene seriously.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=erLk59H86ww
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Luke Skywalker has vanished.

>So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?
I knew it would be 2 long hours after that.

When I saw they redesigned the X-Wing and realized that the movie was even more like a remake than the trailers suggested.
I didn't even finish it because it was so boring to watch, dropped it around the time the Scottish guy appeared.

TFA was the only movie I've managed to sleep at while watching in the cinema.

This but the ending. Fuck you I will never not be angry. No Han, Luke, and Leia reunion ever without a fake leia. Way to go jj

>we marvel now

Around when the nu trench run happened and when rey pulled the jedi mind trick out the ass. It was bad before but I was crossing my fingers the movie would redeem itself and those scenes made it clear it was past the point of no return.

You pulled out the right time, the movie takes a nose dive in quality from that point on.

unironically this

J J Abrams movie I knew it would suck

When Kylo Ren removed his mask. Me and my best friend couldn't stop laughing. Tbh the movie wasn't bad for me but I definitely held it in lower regard after some time from my first viewing. When you're outside of a theater environment that doesn't adhere to mob mentality, it clears things up. It also helps if you don't bring some dumb skank to it as part of a date night.

>When did you realize that this movie was going to be bad?

Honestly the day I read that JJ was directing. I hated him since for ever. I knew Fincher refused the gig, I knew Bird refused the gig as well. But hiring JJ? That's such a fucking red flag of incoming disaster I can't even begin to explain it user. Catastrophic choice.

I didn't, because it isn't bad. It's actually overall pretty solid. Solid 7/10.

You won't think that in a few years when doing OT rewatches. You won't want to do TFA next.

I haven't watched JJ's films outside of TFA and snippits of the Star Trek ones but how annoying is his directing?

I will because it's a solid film. I honestly look forward to watching it more than rotj. Now that's a film that over time I've grown to dislike more and more.

It was actually awesome until that point, sadly that was four minutes in, garbage ensued.

>This will begin to make things right.

muh immersion

Marvel quips are invading everything

>"It's tricky. My favourite is The Empire Strikes Back. If I said, 'I want to do something more like that,' then I'm sure the people paying for it would be like, 'No! You can't do that! We want it like the other one with all the creatures!'"

>"I always thought of Star Wars as the story of two slaves [C-3PO and R2-D2] who go from owner to owner, witnessing their masters' folly, the ultimate folly of man... I thought it was an interesting idea in the first two, but it's kind of gone by Return Of The Jedi."

>ywn see Fincher's star wars kino.

star wars is dead
let it go

>Star Wars is dead
>Star Wars earns Disney billions of dollars
Who's dead?

Kenny Baker, Carrie Fisher, Jack Purvis, Alec Guinness, Peter Cushing, Drewe Henley, Richard LeParmentier, Eddie Byrne, Shelagh Fraser, Alex McCrindle, Phil Brown, Don Henderson, Larry Ward

this senpai

well in short JJ is a Spielberg wannabe. That's all he does. He's an imitator, and a poor one at that. There is nothing original about his work as a director. Fun unknown fact: JJ actually wrote the screenplay for Armageddon.

Anyway, if you have a good knowledge of Spielberg's style, JJ's copying is so blatantly obvious it's ridiculous. It goes beyond the themes, who btw are also closely similar (monster movies, sci fi, action thriller, kid/teen protagonists) it's also his camerawork and editing. JJ even admits this himself, he's very happy to cite Spielberg as his biggest influence.

I for one don't like copycats, and he's the biggest one in activity in Hollywood. Fuck JJ

The pacing died after the film leaves Jakku for good and the film itself dies around the point Death Star 3.0 enters the picture. But who made this map to Luke Skywalker and why? It seems like Luke wants to be left alone so he probably didn't do it. How does everyone know it exists and why is he so important? Why did R2 wake up after the destruction of Death Star 3.0?

This

>Why did R2 wake up after the destruction of Death Star 3.0?
This one REALLY ground my gears. Such a cheap drama moment.

I knew it since there would not be a new Jedi order or when Kylo took off his mask

"comedy"

This though made me suspect it would be shit, story sounded like something a 5th grader would conceive. Only took 5 mins to confirm.

Is James Earl Jones legitimately immortal?

when Oscar Isaac made that quip in the beginning to the bad guy

walked out the theater right there and only finished watching the movie when the Blu ray came out. it was worse than I anticipated

This. Soured me to the rest of the movie.

Halfway through when the lightbulb in my head went off and I realized it was a gender and race swapped version of new hope.

Yes.

I agree with this. I actually enjoyed Super 8 and thought the child actors were fantastic despite the lacklustre ending, but everything since just shows Abrams has few original things up his sleeve

For me? Quite literally the scene where Poe says "Do you talk or do I?"

Right there, the movie started a downhill spiral that it never lifted up from.

Shit, right there, yep, that was what it was like for me too.

when the octopus came onto hans ship
I knew the movie would be like Star Trek all over again

Pretty much this. But what even made me more angry was a turret on the 'new' x-wing or whatever the fuck he was flying.

>was a turret on the 'new' x-wing
This only pissed me off because the turret was obviously CG, even though JJ kept going on and on about practicals. It would have been easy to make that a real turret prop.

I realized it would be bad in the first trailer.

The trailer suckered me, I'm ashamed to say.
That one good shot of the X-Wings flying on the lake, and the "Chewie we're home", made me hype.
I was so let down.

my girlfriend fell asleep too. diehard star wars fan fell asleep halfway through, not supposed to happen

"ohhh ok its trent reznor sup dude hows the downward spiral coming"

yeah.

here's this bloke who has supposed to have been indoctrinated into a space nazi authoritarian death cult since birth and he's acting all affable and shooting zingers off everywhere.

from then on it was clear there was going to be absolutely fuck all attempt at creating any kind of cinematic authenticity.

The writing in this movie is fucking horrible. It proves that Lawrence Kasdan didn't make ESB great all by himself like some people think. After they leave Jakku the movie just turns into total nonsense.

The trailers were so damn good, mostly because they didn't reveal how shitty the actual movie was.

When Rey showed up.

heroes on both sides???

Mark Hamill is eternal

Wrong. I knew the second that nigger popped up it would suck. youtube.com/watch?v=erLk59H86ww

Are you trying to say that if the prequels are bad, TFA must be good?

There are people out there that like this movie. I get it. Dumb popcorn kids movie turn off your mind. But even with that in mind, the movie is so fucking shot/stupid from old characters going backwards or into totally stupid directions, to shitty new characters, to lol planet death star who's beam splits at a certain point for no fucking reason to hit 5 planets....

WHEN TEY KILL MAI FAVORUTRIE CARACTER

When I saw the preview

the trailers

After the first 15 or so minutes when the Falcon randomly shows up and a bunch of coincidences lead our heroes to Han Solo... somehow

>butthurt contrarians moving on from justice league to star wars

tfa was a good movie everything considered. And oscar isaac is showing charisma in that scene, something you probably know nothing about

wtf I love Rey now

I'm not a Star Wars fan, but I'll write my take.

Now, I don't like the original Star Wars for the same reason, actually--
There is too much damn humor.

I was hoping for an atmospheric, tense movie.

Also, all the forced girl power. And I write this as a girl.
It was too much about 'feelgood' and not enough about serious atmosphere.

The Darth Vader scene was the best. Everything else was a stereotypical, Hollywood glamourized snoozefest, unfortunately.

>The Darth Vader scene was the best.
Unless you're talking about his mask, Vader is not in TFA.

oh, I guess I mean the other movie
I saw both though
they both are unmemorable
sorry for being a retard though.

the first time I realized
it was bad
was when I realized the new luke was a god damned bitch faced mary sue

when finn decided he didnt want to fight and then 5 minutes later hes going BOOYAH DID YOU SEE THAT DID YOU SEE THAT as hes shooting tie fighters and stormtroopers

complete tonal whiplash

But user, having fun is more important than logic.

I enjoyed it the first time but it took hindsight to see it's pretty fucking dreadful.
It is step for step Episode IV. Han is Obi-wan, there's another fucking Death Star, you start off on a desert planet, meet up with the Rebels on a woodland planet, just fuck off. Starts with a fucking droid escaping the Empire too. The only thing it did differently than Episode IV was have a black guy and a woman be Luke and Han I guess. Only exception is Finn starts off as a bad guy before having the worst written change of heart I've ever seen.
>Literally brainwashed from birth to follow the First Order and kill innocents
>OH MAN, THIS KILLING INNOCENTS BUSINESS ISN'T DOABLE! I BETTER NOT FOLLOW THE FIRST ORDER!
I could never take that retarded character seriously. Plus Rey just unlocks force abilities she's never heard of. She thought the force was a legend, right? How the fuck does she know about the jedi mindtrick, then, even to use it on the Stormtrooper 2.0 just like Obi-wan did? It was fanservice, the entire fucking film was. I was happy when it first came out because it wasn't the prequels, not because it was good. It isn't, and I respect it less than the prequels because they actually tried new things instead of just changing some character and weapon names in the New Hope script.

EA bullshit aside, is BF2 actually a fun shooter?
I don't play a lot of video games, but BF2 just looks so visually appealing.

When Finn blew up his former comrades with happy laughter.

I played the beta and found it to be fun.
I really liked being a Clone or a Jet trooper and fighting Darth Maul, or being a droid and laying into Rey with a minigun.
I think people hating the gameplay are just in too deep on the EA hate bandwagon. The true tragedy of EA building an entire progression system around pay to win is that it ruins a game that is fun as it's core.

For me it was the canteen scene. It was a great SW movie right up to that scene, then it started falling apart in all sorts of ways.

The first, like, five minutes of TFA are pretty great. Kylo Ren freezing the blaster bolt in mid-air and actually being threatening, Oscar Isaac injecting oodles of charisma into his Han Solo 2 character, dare I say it some interesting shots.

Then the "you talk first" scene happens. Then the pacing becomes nonexistent on Not-Tattooine. The film becomes irredeemable trash once Rey meets that CGI dude played by Simon Peggy and you realise that everything you were promised by the promotion and that trailers was a lie.

yup... literally here. but the motherfucking cocksucking audience LOOOVED this quip.

when watching rotj i fast forward to luke/vader/palpatine

I realized the movie was bad on the drive back home, the "you talk first" thing felt out of place but really when finn meets rey and is all over her it ruined the potential for a rogue stormtrooper story. I wanted to know why he came out different but nope it's shitty pirates of the caribbean humor

I, along with anyone else with any good sense, knew the movie was going to be a dumpster fire after the trailer. But to be honest there was virtually no way it could be good under the circumstances in which it was made. Disney needed to make 6billion dollars off it so it would be the most bland and accessible shit of all time.

for most of the movie i was super unimpressed
by the time i left i was already super depressed about how fucking god awful star wars can be
its honestly a different sort of bad, one that isn't necessarily outright like the phantom menace or AOTC, but more insidious

it just left the worst possible fucking taste in my mouth

fuck you for reminding me. but yeah must have been where i checked out too.

Ruined the fucking start. Quiplord fucking mice

Oh yeah not like the plot or universe is centered around this mysterious thing called the force which binds people and sometimes guides them

Is this pasta?

Yep, this moment right here

Everything about this movie is not thought out well. Luke was a symbol of the paragon hero who had boundless optimism. He would go to the darkest places in the galaxy and not quit. Nu Wars throws that in the trash, and makes him a shitty penguin shepherd. Obi wan and Yoda went into hiding because they were wanted across the galaxy. Luke has the WHOLE New Republic to lead and work with to stop Kylo Ren.

Vader wears a mask because he got baked in lava. Why the fuck is Kylo wearing one other than to imitate gramps.

1-3 were a reference to the Civil war 4-6 was the Revolutionary war but with WW2 looks. JJ just shits out that 7 is kinda sorta Argentine Nazis who did fuck all.

when Disney produced ir and when JJ Abrams was announced as the director. you saw what he did to star trek. anybody who seriously expected this to be fresh and original is stupid.

>Carrie Fisher
literally meme, the woman

when rey bypassed the character development module

>Who's dead?
creative endeavours
recylcing is thriving, however

>trained as a pseudo-nazi super trooper from childhood
>makes quips because he's le quirky
>betrays his friends because he saw one of his friends die, and then later kills them without a care
huh

When just after they introduce Finn, the PTSD riddled First Order soldier who just watched a comrade die in his arms, he immediately becomes
>a walking quip factory
>is totally okay with Poe blasting his way out of the ship
His character is completely inconsistent right out of the gate.
All tension is gone.

It could have been a unique, sneaky section. A non violent escape using non lethal maneuvers.
It could have been a cool look at First Order/Imperial conditions and life.

Nope. He's making jokes and Poe's blasting guys and it's all good.

Finn is the worst part of the movie.
Call Rey a Mary Sue if you like, but at least her character doesn't have multiple personality disorder and you can handwave disbelief with the force.

Who even was that old fart Kylo kills in the first scene? No one talks about him, no one even mention his name, was he a jedi? How did he know about kylo identity?

This would've been at least a tiny bit forgivable if Kylo smacked him in his face right after.

yeah, it felt like self aware comment about prequels.

Every one of the literal whos' deaths during order 66 was more emotional than han solo dying.

I can't wait for X, XI, and XII to come out in the future and everyone starts defending the current trilogy.

We do you people push this meme?
Is it to try to take back the narrative from the increasing amount of "prequelbabbies"?

Nah, prequels were shite, and while I didn't dislike VII, I'm aware it's no masterpiece. But let's be honest, even if VII was OT grade quality, Sup Forums would find ways to hate it, until they found a new thing to hate.

>prequels were shite, and while I didn't dislike VII
yikes

Fine, tell me your favorites in order then