MORTAL ENGINES HYPE

FUCK STAR WARS ARE YOU READY FOR PETER JACKSON TO SERVE UP ANOTHER SAGA AND ACTUALLY GIVE A SHIT UNLIKE HOBBIT BUT MORE LIKE LOTR?!?!?!

Garbage concept that rips off Howl's Moving Castle... that movie was meh and it at least had some wonderment to it.

This shit looks sterile.

I read the mortal engines books when I was a kid, they're nothing like howls moving castle you mong.

Why do they move so goddamn fast? It was they only thing on my mind while watching the trailer.

Peter Jackson isn't directing

City never sleeps

More like this one.

i didnt even finish the first book, but thats my impression as well
i thought the bigger the city, the slower it moved

I really hope it'll be good, but it's the worst time for it to be made because of all the culture war shit going on.
What I'm worried about at the moment:
On his blog, Reeve suggested that Khora and Anna are getting extra fanfic scenes. I'm hopeful that this is to give Anna more screentime to build up an audience connection in preparation for future films, and not DIVERSITY in action.
Black Pomeroy. Completely unnecessary given that there are plenty of non-white characters in the series so it's not like there's some quote that needs filling. Pomeroy is meant to be some blustering, jovial, old white guy with jowls, not the lean and serious black man they've cast.

There's a lot of potential for it to be great, but also a lot of potential for it to get fucked up. I really hope they stick to the books in terms of characters and character development since that's where a great deal of the series' strength is (along with all the worldbuilding, and I'm hopeful we might get some depictions of the Sixty Minute War as well)

Why the hell they cast almost 30years old adults for the roles of 15 year old teenagers?

Usual Hollywood practice plus it makes them easier to age up for potential films 3+4

I expected it to look more grimdark industrial age wasteland when I first heard this was coming out. It looks like a bad capeshit flick.

why are cities cares now? whats the in universe reason, i dont care that its not realistic i only care that they have a decent explination in the story for it

>young adult

nope

municipal darwinism

Apocalyptic global war with superweapons ruins Earth and cause flooding/volcanic eruptions/earthquakes with such regularity that it's safer to move cities around than stay in one place

BECAUSE
There's no reason. Purely a contrived plot device.

>female protagonist
nah, i'll sit this one out

conflict exists between people who support moving cities ("Municipal Darwinism" - survival of the fittest/biggest/fastest cities) who are mainly European/North African/South American vs "Anti-Tractionists" who believe that moving cities are further ruining the Earth and that it's better to return to living in "static" settlements. These guys are mainly Chinese/East Asian and sub-saharan African.

She forms a double-act with a male protagonist (who we'll no doubt see in further trailers) and is an example of an interesting female protagonist in that she's not a Mary Sue.

It was plausible millenia ago when nomad empires moved their mobile fortresses with primitive technology. Then first Traction City (London) was built, and cities started to eat and move. But it was centuries ago, land since then become stable, there is no real need for Traction Era at all - they just can`t stop moving and preying on each other.

>uses spyglass for object consuming entire skyline
>older character asks doofus teenager what it is
>mfw

My best guess is that she's looking for specific historic buildings which would identify the city, since none of them are uniform. Actually more likely would be a standard flag.

Potentially it's just an example of the scene being compressed in the trailer. There's a bit in the source material where London starts getting pursued by an even larger city and it takes them a while to identify it.

>female protagonist not a mary sue in an expensive 3 part epic trilogy
i used to be optimistic like you

>female protag

Cant wait to suspend my disbelief and to get told I'm worthless and evil for being a man for an hour and a half.

She is trying to identify the city.

I've never heard of this before, but it looks unspeakably retarded.

In the book Hester Shaw was really ugly - one eyed, scar across entire face, broken nose etc. (example by cosplay)

Now she has two eyes...

thought it was 40k mad max from the image

She's a scared girl who's spent most of her short and miserable life fending for herself in a post-apocalyptic wasteland which has turned her into a psychopath. When exposed to a boy who actually cares about her, she is falls so madly in love with him that she sells out an entire city of innocent people in a later book because some thicc snowqueen starts making moves on her husbando.

I dont care.

cool

How about the big fucking cathedral on the top.

in the trailer

they've likely toned down her scarring (might yet add more in post-production, who knows) but complaining that they didn't spoil the reveal of it by showing it in the trailer is really stupid.

>There's a bit in the source material where London starts getting pursued by an even larger city
There's always a bigger fish.

Mortal Engines was first published in 2001, and the Ghibli adaptation of Howl's Moving Castle came out in 2004.

She was sword slashed in the face when she was just 8 year old, this kind of trauma needs months and years to heal. In the trailer its actually the start of the movie, when the small town Salthook being eaten by London, then the main adventure begins (no major injuries to heroes) that last few weeks at best.

I don`t complain about the scar itself (its clearly under scarf), i`m surprised that her second eye is intact.

Is there American cities?

They can't make a main character in a Hollywood film presumably aimed at kids too gory if they are gonna be staring at her a lot.

Well, hopefully they'll follow the book's characterisation as closely as possible.

There's an Alaskan one. The Americans got blown up by the Chinese for the most part

Only Anchorage as far as I can remember.

US and China nuked each other to death in the 60 minute war. It's a desolate wasteland inhabited by undead cyborgs.

I need to read these books again, I barely remember the plots.

north america gets vaporized in the nuclear war and is mostly ocean

>strong wyman protagonist
no thanks

This is one of the most absurd concepts I've ever seen. It's like shit you'd see in a video game, not a movie.

>she gets messed up at the end of the first book though, this could easily be a scene before that happens.

no she doesn't, she's messed up about 8 years before the start of the film

I hope you're not implying that isn't great.

Interesting point that part of western China is intact, while almost all north America is dead wasteland.

>screen goes black
>shitty slow off-key bars or singing of main theme song or some dumb pop/folk song

Why won't they stop doing that it's cringey as fuck

Are the books good?

A few, but America as a whole was completely exterminated by nuclear strikes, orbital lasers, cyborg soldiers, and bioweapons.

They're top-tier YA novels.

yeah, good worldbuilding and well-written characters

>china blows up USA
>Europe is 6772 km away vs 11,640 km for US
So they ignored Europe?

Ugh I don't trust anything skinny Peter Jackson directs. It's probably ruined by that.

The village mobile was moving WAAAY too fast and goofily, like a dumb cgi currymobile. Physics sim are worse than Battletanx.

Good for kids.

I just picked them up but I'm losing interest now that I'm into the third book. Something about Anna being a bad guy and the Jenny Havier being stolen and gone just irks me.

Everybody got blown up to varying degrees, but most of the strongest weaponry was directed against America by the Chinese. A lot of China got fucked too, with the remnants fleeing into the Himalayas.
Much of the Middle East got fucked too, and a new inland sea formed around about Kazakhstan. Central America got destroyed so thoroughly that South and North America separated and new chains of volcanos and mountain ranges came into being across Eurasia.

The 3rd is a bit of a change and Wren can be pretty annoying sometimes (but that's sort of the point) but I promise it's worth sticking with it for the 4th book.

Can't wait for Shrike desu.

Are they kids books or young adult books?

Books are books. Read what you like.

Will keep stalking little girls?

>Darwinism is portrayed as a bad thing
So edgy.

Pretty solid books in any case.

IMHO for 12-15 years old. 20+- years old will find it too simple or lighthearted.

colin salmon's a great actor though, he can definitely do blustering

Looks like soyfun.

A lot of the casting is great though. Stephen Lang as Shrike? Fuck yer

>cyborg who just wants to retire to a comfy island with his loli waifu
/ourguy/

It's actually better; His protege who has worked with him since he was a teenager.
P.J. is producing it though.

Why do nomad populations ever exist at all? The earth is so fucked that nowhere is suitable for static settlement.

like the big union jack on the front

yeah it's solid for the most part, but descriptions of Pomeroy in the books have him as almost the stereotypical eccentric academic historian and I can't help but worry that they've added some diversity into the Historians' Guild (since they're the Good Guys") yet will have an entirely white Engineers' Guild when that's not the point of the books. It'll just cheapen the fact that the book has people from a number of different races as main or secondary characters, yet it's not just for sake of diversity but rather is an important part of the story.

Hester Shaw isn't a doofus. She's fucking terrifying. And she also doesn't live on Salthook.

course, you just want something to complain about

BECAUSE ITS SOOOO COOOL BROOOOO

And when did the howls book come out?

These were my favourite books as a kid, and I was so ready for this trailer to be disappointing or shitty or a turn off.

But the aerial shot of Salthook scampering away as the upper tiers of London swing into view and the tiny town gets swamped in its shadow.............fuck that got me.

Why do the cities move again?

The kids will probably like it.

Back in the day due to a huge war the Earth got fucked and there were endless earthquakes and volcanoes, so they mobilized cities so they could stay away from them. Eventually this just became the norm.

Sometime in the 80s, if I recall correctly. That post specifically mentioned the movie, presumably because of the aesthetic of the castle in that adaptation, and aside from that they have basically nothing in common.

Honestly Philip Reeve is one of the most original children's authors of the last 20 years, I would look up the details before reducing it to something as childish as 'muh copied howl's moving castle'. Diana Wynn-Jones' books are totally different.

i swear to god if Hackson or his protegee do any of that bullshit hobbit cgi ragdoll action shit in this movie i'll be so pissed off.

Retconned later - survivors needed hundreds of year of degradation to medieval times to settle first nomad empires, that used primitive mobile fortresses and landships. Nomads conquer then static London and convert it to first traction city.

They always tone down females getting hurt in the movie adaptations. See Hunger Games.

soo quick question.

why is it bad for a big city to eat a small city? do they kill the survivors of the smaller cities or what?

Slavery or death are generally the two possibilities

well shit, that explains it.

>read the mortal engines books when I was a kid
thats it, its a shitty child book

Ah yes, more sickenning CGI

>Hester has 2 eyes with a pretty little scar

I'll pass, thanks.