Steven Spielberg hasn't made a good film in over a decade

Name a more overrated director than current (2008-present) Spielberg. Protip: you can't. Lincoln, Bridge of Spies, and The Post are Oscar bait fluff that won't be remembered a decade from now but they received massive critical acclaim. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a disaster that received widespread backlash from fans of the Indiana Jones franchise but the vast majority of critics liked it. The BFG was total shit but critics once again gave Spielberg a pass. Why won't critics admit Spielberg has completely lost his touch?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/JPNyNr2Kp4w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Lincoln

He raped that girl from Poltergeist

>The BFG was total shit
It was a word-for-word retelling of the book, fart jokes and all, aside from a couple of embellishments.
If anything it a flash of the kind of director Spielberg used to be. Same with Tintin.

say what you want about spielberg, but directors like JJ Abrams or George Lucas make him look like Shakespeare

More like about 3 decades, his last good movie was Jurrassic Park, and the movie quite aged now. All his attempt at sci-fi in the 2000s were a disaster. and don't talk about Saving Ryan and his holocaust film, it's garbage hype by Hollywood propaganda machine

True but that isn't saying much.

I loved Tintin.

wait for ready player one nigger...shit will usher in a whole new age and these VR headset companies would be foolish not to capitalize on it.

Still waiting on that fucking sequel. Now that Serkis is done fucking around as Snoke, it might actually happen.

schindler's list

lincoln was kino. if you cant appreciate lincoln, youre watching movies for the wrong reasons.

bridge of spies was solid and thoroughly enjoyable. suspenseful, well made.

didnt see bfg but it looks like shit. i hate animated movies. but hey, scorcese won his first oscar for that animated train movie sonwhat do i know.

war horse was ok. had some freat moments.

the post looks good, oscar bait or not.

the oscar bait argument is silly. youre telling me you dont wanna watch the new PTA DDD movie? that shit is pure oscar bait.

the berg is an awesome director, even in his latter years. definitely not overrated, just held at a higher expectation

Lincoln, Bridge Of Spies, Tintin, War Horse were all good movies and they're worth watching for Spielberg's direction alone.

I gotta say BFG felt horribly wrong and The Post is literally something he tossed together in a few months and the Ready Player One trailer is really, really, really bad (not the story or material, but it visually looks terrible).

It would be nice if he took a stab at making something outside of his wheelhouse and smaller - a violent action movie or a horror movie.

>Don't say these propaganda movies

Propaganda or not, they're amazingly well made.

Scorsese got his Oscar for The Depahted

BFG is really strange. I didn't like the trailers, but I didn't like the Tintin trailers either, but the finished film was actually great.

BFG was just clunky - not the writing or acting, but the actual directing was really stodgy. It didn't feel like Spielberg at all.

>Why won't critics admit Spielberg has completely lost his touch?
They'll have no choice once the disaster that is Ready Player One comes out.

when you realize his last good movie was Munich

>go to Lincoln with ex
>trailer for Les Miserables comes on
>see Russell Crowe on a boat
>unable to contain myself
>"Makin' movies, makin' songs. And foighting 'Round tha World" I hear myself say
>ex-gf is giggling, old folks are glaring at me
>movie starts
>like DDL but film is boring

The Adventures of Tin Tin was actually a pretty decent adventure mystery tho (Directed by Spielberg).

Tintin was comickino.

Now we need Edgar Wright to make an Asterix movie.

Kek

Tintin was actually pretty damn amazing, pretty much every scene his this amazing sense of movement, seems like the camera is always swirling around

It was a very kinetic movie, yes. Makes sense with the comics' constant happenings.
I always knew Spielberg wasn't gonna fuck up Tintin. His love of the books inspired his decision to direct Indiana Jones.

I really liked Warhorse.
Expected nothing and was pleasantly surprised.

I remember avoiding that movie for ages because I thought it looked like dog shit.

Then when I finally caught up with it I was blown away. Really overlooked.

I did the same thing. Only thing that made me interested was my own love for the comic and the fact that Zemeckis didn't direct it. It ended up proving to me that Zemeckis was the wrong man for the job. Spielberg's direction is exactly what motion capture movies need, and he should've stuck with the format.

He's in on the child abuse ring

Yeah, I had chalked it up to the technology, but it turns out in the right hands it worked really well.

Somewhat disappointed we got no more follow ups. Would love to see them do Asterix.

It might be cheesy and sentimental and kind of artificial (I mean, it's adapted from a stage play in a sense) but I'd be hard pressed to call it a "bad" film. It's simply too well made for that.

youtu.be/JPNyNr2Kp4w

Spielberg said in 2016 it'd be his next project after Peter Jackson's next film production finished (which turned out to be Mortal Engines) so there's still a sliver of hope.

God I hated Munich. I was so apethetic after finishing it,

>If you exclude his good films, he hasn't made a good film

I guess you're right he's WASHED UP

>the oscar bait argument is silly. youre telling me you dont wanna watch the new PTA DDD movie? that shit is pure oscar bait.

I don't. It looks boring as fuck.

I remember watching it with a couple of friends, and none of us knew that Spielberg directed it. We even talked about how well Spielberg made movies pre 2008 and how he probably would've done a better job.
Then I flipped the box over and we all busted out laughing at the irony.

I just consider everything after Jurassic Park to be 'boring Spielberg'.

>Now we need Edgar Wright to make an Asterix movie.
You take that back right fucking now, you braindead piece of shit.

Francis Ford Coppola is probably the one with the highest fall. From Godfather, The Conversation and Apocalypse Now to COMPLETE CRAP in a Tommy Wiseau level.

Oh shit, The Post is a Spielberg movie? I have to see it now.