How heavy will damage control be for Episode 9, assuming it can be salvaged?

How heavy will damage control be for Episode 9, assuming it can be salvaged?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nv7zoFUuBIw
fivethirtyeight.com/features/ghostbusters-is-a-perfect-example-of-how-internet-ratings-are-broken/
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Luuke_Skywalker
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Punished Luke: a character robbed of a proper ending

Might they go with the MGSV route and say it was actually a phantom all along? The real Luke might still be out there.

Sup Forums won't like Episode IX no matter how it turns out. They have that super-edgy, "I'm too cool to like anything", rep that they need to maintain so they can continue to swim in all that pussy.

Perhaps no company and no brand could weather the storm better than Disney and Star Wars. There will be no damage control. They're going to double down, and they're going to keep doubling down until the fans they don't want start to get the picture.

What if his skeleton is in the xwing?

>They have that super-edgy, "I'm too cool to like anything"
Sup Forums in a nutshell

We already know the Luke who died was Jake Skywalker.
The real Luke Skywalker might be alive still

Would you be so kind as to describe the "fans they don't want"?

im rather looking forward to seeing the star wars sitcom.

If Solo bombs they might start to panic.

i so hope Soylo bombs hard

I liked lukes ending I felt sad to see him go

>if

Edgy implies that everyone else liked it, to be edgy Sup Forums had to like the last jedi

The whole fight with Kylo was a ploy. He clearly faked his death and the real Luke is out there building Outer Heaven for Force users.

it was a luke clone all along

loads of people at the theater i saw it at were really lukewarm about it. people audibly groaned/laughed after that terrible "Save the things we love" speech.

I can buy this.
This is what I will choose to believe.

If they can salvage 9 it will make 8 a bearable movie because they will have fixed all the gaping plot holes and redeem Luke,

If they realize their mistake and fix this shitshow I will continue to watch their movies.

If they give me the finger I will give them my finger and never watch one of their movies again.

I don't trust online scores like that, because it's not a true measure of the entire viewing audience. There are millions of people who see movies who never bother to participate in online surveys. There is also the issue of people raiding these types of places, such as when Sup Forums skewed the rating for the new Ghostbusters movie.

It also reminds me of a TV chef's recent analysis of the ratings for places on Yelp: they're worthless because it's an aggregate of opinions of uneducated/inexperienced people.

youtube.com/watch?v=nv7zoFUuBIw

Lol you think people are going to spend money on that after this garbage heap?

The only reason anyone is going to go see 9 is to see if JJ can somehow manage to fix this.

what in the hell are those shirts
what does that even mean

I wouldn't trust these scores either,

In reality they are probably lower.

Do you honestly believe that the Han Solo movie isn't going to draw huge crowds just because TLJ was controversial?

>people audibly groaned/laughed after that terrible "Save the things we love" speech.

I never heard anything like that in the theater I was in. The only audible groan I heard was the one I just made when I read your post.

Will the bread and butter former EU nerds just eventually quit the fandom as it becomes more and more Disney? There's never going to be another KotOR, or even KoTOR II. Nothing that happens outside of the few decades on either side of 0 ABY will ever be explored again.

>IGN and other click bait articles defending game
>Angry Pedro retracts his score
Damage control has just begun dummies.

You were in a different theater than him fartknocker.

People chuckled in my theater.

Generic girl power slogan from people who don't understand what the force actually is. Are you even slightly surprised that a disney exec is endorsing it?

>Lol you think people are going to spend money on that after this garbage heap?

It's Star Wars, so yeah.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of the viewing audience is not on Sup Forums everyday.

I'm not surprised, just confused at the choice of slogan. Was the force ever implied or stated to be male? It just sounds dumb

I mean, they've integrated EU stuff into NewCanon - even KotOR stuff. Rakata Prime, for example.

Yes.
I absolutely believe this.

Harrison ford wont be playing Han.
The last Jedi shit on fans.
Why would fans want to watch it?

why would non-fans go to see a movie about a nobody who is killed in the first movie of their generations trilogy?

>The Force is female

With all of this talk about "we need to get rid of traditional gender identities" being crammed up our asses, isn't this a step backwards?

After the whole new jedi order incident, Luke go on exile to reform a secret jedi army while Wedge became Luke Skywalker

I don't know a single person in real life who doesn't hate what Disney did to star wars.

Fans are pissed.

People that aren't fans wont be there opening night and will not go see if after it gets negative reviews.

you know I think you've got a point, after the fans were pissed about episode 1, ticket sales for episode 2 were awful.
Oh wait, no they weren't. They were better.
And same for episode 3.

Sometimes people go to see a movie because it's something fun to do that day. Some out of curiosity. Most people aren't retards and hold grudges over what happened in prior movies.

Audible groans at the flying Leia scene at my showing.

Gender is a social construct except when to push MY agenda.

>I don't know a single person in real life who doesn't hate what Disney did to star wars.

Then your circle of friends is not very diverse. The average person doesn't care.

No, they weren't. Episode II was lower than both TPM and RotS. TPM - and every single first chapter of each SW trilogy - sold the most : so ANH, TPM, TFA.

Just realizing Liberals are liars, user?

People hated episode 1 because of jar jar binks and child anakin.

People hate episode 8 because it destroys the star wars universe by filling it with plot holes and destroys the legacy of their childhood hero.

Yup. Those are the same.

everyone could get over 8 if the only thing wrong with it was the porgs and Rose's shitty acting.

literally because it's star wars, the most well known movie franchise ever.
you're retarded if you think fans are going to avoid seeing it because the last movie was bad. Fans like talking about the movie more than they like the movie, so they're going to see it regardless. don't be daft.

They probably managed to sneak that online a map without the Maus noticing. I think nuCanon starts at Darth Bane.

>Was the force ever implied or stated to be male?

Like I said, they have no clue what the force is supposed to be a nondescript dualistic spiritual force similar to the Tao. They know the phase "May the force be with you" and they've interpreted it to be akin to a good spirit or godlike entity that goes around helping the good guys, so co-opting it for feminism by giving it a gender makes sense.

BURN THEM ALL

And what was with that Godspeed Rebels shit? What God?

No one wants to see the next movie in a series when the most recent movie disregarded the plots of all previous movies.

>Here comes to new Harry potter!

>Voldemort was never real and it was all a dream

>Hermione is actually a rich white man who anal fucks harry every day in his broom closet.

>This movie is about coping with abuse now, we wanted to take a turn in the plot.

>Don't worry, Harry Potter fans will go see the new series of movies any way because it has the harry potter label.

This is what you sound like.

Gross sales of ep. II were the lowest of the prequels, but II had a bigger opening weekend than I and III had a bigger opening weekend than II. There's actually a pretty solid trend of each new star wars movie having a bigger opening weekend than the previous.

then they'll see it so they can complain about how bad it is! Star Wars isn't going to just stop making money because of one bad movie. christ y'all are dramatic.

I don't know what their plan is. It's such a specific inclusion. They've got Hammerheads in R1 too, remember - they were from KotOR.

Storygroup types have talked about the amount of content they have in mind for the future, so i wouldn't be surprised at all to see an 'official' take on the Old Republic.

I wonder how EA would feel about that claim.

>Don't worry, Harry Potter fans will go see the new series of movies any way because it has the harry potter label.

But that one is 100% true. It's clear that YOU would not see any new movies in the series, but don't assume that everyone is 100% like you and will do the same. People love brand names, pure and simple.

I should have specified opening weekend but whatever, the point is that even though the movies were awful, they still made assloads of money. (and adjusting gross sales for inflation gives you an inaccurate idea of how many people went to see each movie)

they'd probably laugh and agree since they still profited off battlefront 2

>feminists oppressing the force by "forcing" a gender identity on it.

Just because something is very popular doesn't mean that it will continue being popular after a number of low quality films. Justice league is proof of this: Superman and Batman are top sellers no matter how bad their films are... right up until they stopped being top sellers.

The han solo movie is guaranteed to bomb because they're trying to replace one of Hollywood's most beloved actors with some random dude who has no chance of filling ford's shoes, plus they've just pissed off normies and hardcore fans with a disappointing movie that ruined a fan favorite character.
Oh yeah and they've already overspent, done reshoots and dropped several directors.

It's DOA.

Are you seriously so autistic you can't understand I don't mean literally every person?

Jesus fuck.

All it takes is 3/4 of the traditional audience choosing not to show up anymore and they lose a fuck ton of money.

You're going to hear stories of paraplegic critics seeing the movie and miraculously being able to stand again so they could give it a standing ovation. You're going to see commercials even more ominous than the "Don't let anyone spoil this one!" type that you saw for TLJ. It's going to be a fucking circus that's going to make you seriously consider the possibility that we're actually in a simulation.

I kind of hope so. Star Wars saturation is really horrible right now, and I thought it was bad leading up to Force Awakens. If George did one thing right, the wait time between films gave people a down time to forget about Star Wars for a bit before the hype machine was turned back on. Leaving that machine on leads to serious burnout, and once a year was strenuous enough.

It doesn't exactly explain capeshit though, maybe because it's varied enough with different characters and different powers.

Yeah I'm sure they really enjoyed get berated by every media outlet existence and losing 3 billion in stock.

>Are you seriously so autistic you can't understand I don't mean literally every person?

You are implying exactly that, yes.

...and 3/4 of the traditional viewing audience is not going to skip Episode IX. It's delusional to even suggest that.

They are already in damage control. Every time a negative article comes up in a general google search it gets moved under new positive articles within a few hours. But this thing is much bigger than ghost busters. But i n an endurance race, like with Ghostbusters, they can't win... Especially with South Korea and China against them.

>Just because something is very popular doesn't mean that it will continue being popular after a number of low quality films
I would argue that Star Wars episode 7 proves this wrong. I think a strong foundation of beloved material gives the popular franchises a chance to recover from having a bad film or a few bad films. Star Wars is so popular that it's going to take a lot more fuck ups to get to the point where the movies aren't going to profit. If you think the Han Solo movie is DOA you're delusional. It's going to make truckloads of money. More money than you'll likely ever have. If it sucks, and the next 3 star wars movies suck major balls, then maaaaybe there will come a time where people aren't interested in seeing star wars. But that's a big if.

Yup, it is a completely realistic assumption to assume that when someone uses a general blanket statement they mean it 100% literally.

You are actually fucking retarded.

You must have missed the part where I said people would watch episode 9 to see if they can fix this mess.

If they can't I genuinely believe 3/4 if the audience wont watch any other more star wars films in theaters.

>The han solo movie is guaranteed to bomb

I believe it will not be as successful as the main movies, at minimum. Part of the reason Rogue One was not as successful as other Star Wars movies is because it's also not part of the main "episode-numbered" narrative, so people can feel like they can skip it and don't worry about "missing" anything or being lost when they see the next one.

But...again...it's Star Wars. People are going to see it, regardless of whether it's awful just because of the name alone. Don't underestimate the power of an established brand name.

Quick list of things to make writing Episode IX's plot, themes and characterization easier
>Kill of Rose ASAP, do it along with Leia's canon death
>Get rid of Rose as quickly as you can from the memories of the characters
>Establish the essential character dynamics of Finn, Poe, Rey and Kylo Ren, focus ENTIRELY on just those four as the essential character square.
>Decide what the character arc of each character is going to be ahead of time
>figure out how these play off each other and affect the character dynamics
>just write how that occurs

Stories are best when determined by the characters just growing and interacting in a semi-believable way. The trick is to pick the most interesting moments of that development to give the most time and attention to in a movie or story

NP. True, it does. Ultimately, the trend in SW is for the first movie of a given trilogy to do best.

Now I just want to see a Solid Snake movie starring Mark hamill

I guarantee JJ will change it so that Kylo was lying about Rey's parents, at the very least

Damage control could kill them.

If they move to far in the other direction the audience will lose confidence in the product.

Look how little anything in TFA mattered. Now if Ep9 comes out and ignores everything that happened in TLJ it's going to kill the hype for any future movies. Why care if you know nothign matters. You can get away with Retconing in comics, but if you do it too much in movies people will remember and they will care.

>If they can't I genuinely believe 3/4 if the audience wont watch any other more star wars films in theaters.

Not with THAT attitude.

After Episode IX, I theorize that Disney will try to do remakes of the prequel trilogy. Since the originals were crap, Disney can't do much worse, and the same people who said they hated the past movies will give in to temptation and see those, too.

I don't know what argument you're trying to make. EA made money off of Battlefront 2 in spite of reddit shitting themselves over lootboxes simply because it's star wars.
Now, video games are more expensive than movies and are experienced for far longer. If you go to the theater and see a bad movie, you don't ask for your 12 bucks back. But if you drop 60 on a new game and it blows, you trade that shit in and recoup as much as you can.

>Now I just want to see a Solid Snake movie starring Mark hamill

"Milk...has changed..."
"First it was blue...then it was green..."

>such as when Sup Forums skewed the rating for the new Ghostbusters movie.
fuck off, retard

>If they can't I genuinely believe 3/4 if the audience wont watch any other more star wars films in theaters.
that's some wishful thinking dude. That's just not how the world works. It would take another two trilogies of pure shite to dethrone star wars like that.

I liked fucking episode 7 more than 8. This shit was legit trash. It killed all my hopes for 9.

We will see how this affects the number of purchases of their future games.

>Kylo was lying about Rey's parents

What will probably happen is that will do a RotJ homage where Rey speaks with ghost Luke and asks him to confirm her parent's identity. ...then Luke drops some bomb that she and Finn are distant cousins, or something, and that he's the heir to the throne of a great kingdom on some far away planet, not unlike his ancestors before him.

kek

That is exactly how to world works though.
The fans make star wars.
If the fans don't like star wars anymore.
There is no star wars.

It takes 3 bad movies.

Not 3 trilogies.

It probably will affect the sales because EA is not beloved, they are widely hated. They don't have a warm place in people's hearts for their successes because they are a business, not a story.
Star Wars is beloved and it will take many many many more terrible movies before Star Wars starts to fail as a brand.

by your logic then the prequels would have killed star wars, yet here we are

What I'm saying is true. There are many sources out there, but here's just one:
fivethirtyeight.com/features/ghostbusters-is-a-perfect-example-of-how-internet-ratings-are-broken/

Facts are stubborn things, and calling people retards for stating them doesn't change the truth.

The prequels had had shit dialogue.

They didn't disregard all the predecessor films and fill the universe will plot holes. What happened in the prequels didn't directly effect the OT because it came before meaning the end result was the same.

TLJ shits on the plot and story of everything that came before it.

There is a big difference.
Why does no one understand this?

Jake "Lloyd" Skywalker?

nah, fuck off. It was a shitty movie shilled by the media, same as The Last Jedi and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

>all these niggas don't know bout Luuke
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Luuke_Skywalker

>The fans make star wars.
This is the keystone for why your entire line of thinking is completely flawed. Fans don't make movies; general audiences do.

I gave up on star wars after TFA. I wasn't even anti sjw back then, still I could see the forced feminism in that movie. Same with fury road.

>there are 'people' that pretend this still wouldn't have been better than the sequel trilogy we're getting, Luuke and all

first of all, it's affect not effect.
second, what happens in the sequels don't directly affect the OT either. Movies can't retroactively make other movies bad. Movies stand on their own. RotJ isn't worse because of how Luke is in TLJ, unless you're autistic.
3 movies didn't kill star wars, and TLJ won't either. Use your brain.

>time skip a few years
>opening crawl mentions that kylo has stopped pursueing the rebels and that leia has died peacefully filled with hope that her son had a change of heart
>opening scene is kylo feeling her death and breaking down
>tries to cover it up and pretend nothing is happening
>hux is furious at kylos lack of action the past year and is seen making deals behind his back, plans to take over
>on the other side of the galaxy rey is meditating in luke's building her lightsaber
>she disassembles her staff and adds a half of luke/anakin's saber to each side
>it fires on in sparks of chaotic, unstable blue and white light
>she steps outside to a group of young students including the boy from the closing scene of tlj

>random people will buy enough of a product of something they are not a fan of to make something a success.

Fury Road is hardly feminist propaganda. The women all do what the one male hero says and he saves the day.

>TLJ shits on the plot and story of everything that came before it

TLJ was definitely differnet from the other movies in many ways, but being different doesn't automatically make it bad. I liked how they made every element in the story turn out totally different than what you expected would happen. If I wanted to see a movie that was a cop-out, carbon copy of the previous movies, I would just watch TFA again.

>>random people will buy enough of a product of something they are not a fan of to make something a success.

You heavily underestimate the power of brand names, and Star Wars is the biggest around. It's so big that everyone knows what it is, even people who are not fans.