When did they do a New Season For MST3K?

Did they ruin it? Is it as horrible & filled with horrible jokes as I imagine it must be?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hgzBc-8g4u0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It’s not as reddit as I was worried it would be (Felicia Day is only on screen for like 3 minutes per episode), but the movies themselves are kind of dull. Aside from Carnival Magic. That shit was nuts. The only real knock I have against it is that they try to cram too many jokes together, so there’s no flow to the riffs.

>It’s not as reddit as I was worried it would be

So it's still slightly reddit then? Please don't tell me they interject political jabs in there. I've had enough jokes abut the President as I can handle.

They keep the politics to a minimum. I can’t even recall any Drumpf shit, honestly. They have a shit-ton of pop culture references, but Joel and Mike did too so you can’t really fault them for that.

The only really big issue with it is that they never stop riffing. In the old series Joel/Mike and the bots would pause and let the movie get out a few lines of dialogue, this new series just has them talking constantly and you can’t get a grip on what’s going on in the film. I also don’t like how the bots don’t seem to be actual puppets in the theater, they’re so stiff and artificial. It’s a smaller point but it’s still jarring.

I've been watching through the show for months now. Started from the first KTMATV episodes, now I'm currently on Season 8, episode 09 - I Was a Teenage Werewolf

Best. Show. Ever.

I haven't seen them yet, but I had a feeling the Netflix episodes would lose the Public-access television quality the show always had.

>Did they ruin it?
Yes.
>Is it as horrible & filled with horrible jokes as I imagine it must be?
To be honest, the new guy has a good dynamic with the robots but they talk too much and the timing of them is (((problematic)))...

>the timing of them is (((problematic)))

Could you elaborate?

What's with the weird roman numeral naming for the DVD sets? I want to own the original series & vol. 1 has 4 episodes from random seasons on it.

They make jokes about parts of scenes that are about to happen instead of reacting to the scenes that are happening. It seems too pushed compared to the originals...

I mean don't get me wrong, I've watched all of the new episodes and maybe it's nostalgia goggles, but the magic isn't there.

Also, even though I used to follow Felicia Day on social media she started posting politically instead of being the dancing monkey audiences pay her to be, so I kind of got turned off by her presence.

>They make jokes about parts of scenes that are about to happen

Oh wow that does sound annoying.

I torrented the series.
Seems like most are ripped by a MST3K fan that had reels of the episodes, each episode starts with him saying >MST3K Season_, Episode_, Reel 1.
Some of the episodes are recorded from VHS tapes.
Both of these have made the show even more comfy than it already is.

I think the big difference is regional. Joel and Mike have that Midwestern “Golly Gee” vibe about their humor. Very laid back and unassuming. Jonah is more L.A., kind of up-front and reactionary.

I realize this makes me sound like a faggot, so I’ll stop now.

I could watch Carnival Magic without Jonah and the bots, honestly. I like the fact that it even exists.

It's actually a good observation user

Hmm. What's the easiest way for me to get those torrented episodes onto a CRT tube television for maximum comfort? It accepts component if that helps.

Manos is still one of my all time favorites. That & the Pewmayman.

>You know... there are certain flaws in this film.

wrong pic

this pretty much nails it, all the worries about felicia day were largely avoided. The biggest problem is that the riffs just don't fucking stop, it's like they don't even take a breath. You get so overwhelmed you can hardly keep up with the movie itself, which kinda makes it so the jokes become, as the season went on, more self contained, like actual jokes lightly adjusted to fit the movie, it was like watching stand up and a bad movie at the same time on 2 screens.

I could watch Space Mutiny on loop and still laugh my ass off every time.

MST3K always had political jokes to be fair. Lots of Clinton digs.

Of course back then Politics was something older people were seriously into and no matter who became President the country would pretty much unite back together. Now it's super nasty.

>This image
All I needed to know. Going to stay far away from this.

He's a soyboy, I'd probably drink a beer and watch a movie with him, but I would never become a true friend.

Me and Crow on the other hand would be homies for lyfe :')

I was with you, but honestly if you skip the first segment of each episode, you’re fine.

she should probably keep her distance

As long as she doesn’t take “night time vitamins for night-night time” she’ll be fine.

The Christmas That Almost Wasn’t episode was pretty funny.

It's fine although the skits are cringe... being able to watch in 1080p and current jokes are nice. Rifftrax is better though

Are they making a season 12?

Will Joel listen to our complaints? Can he even do anything to 'fix' the show?

There weren’t a whole lot of complaints. Can’t blame Joel for pandering to the Nerdist community for publicity, if anything it’s the best business decision he’s made in years.

Reminder that MST3K died when Trace left.

I wanna agree with this. They never reached those heights again. BUT, they still managed to be amusing, dancing around in the husk of what was left.

Kevin got way too mean spirited and "me hate movie" (obviously Bill's influence in the pits), but Mike was a solid performer throughout.
While there was a solid run on Sci-Fi (with 10/10 entries like Overdrawn at the Memory Bank and Time Chasers) it's far less essential viewing.

Up until Crow steals your car and maxes out your credit card.

Didn't watch it all the way through, but it was okay. Only thing that was really jarring was the occasional catty Tumblr SJW humor that snuck its way in and just seemed bizarre coming out of Crow's/Servo's mouth. On that same note, I'd stick with rifftrax for humor that is congruous with the original show.

It's pretty good for a Netflix production with literally everything going against it including the cast. I have to say Jonah, while looking like a textbook numale, is funny and has the best comedic timing. New Servo is the least funny but he grows on you. At least he's not constantly singing like Kevin.

>Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
Fuck yes, my favorite ep.

I've probably seen Daddy-O a thousand times, but Overdrawn is a close second.
youtube.com/watch?v=hgzBc-8g4u0

Manos
Puma man
Godzilla vs Megalon
The time of the apes

Sci-Fi channel eps had the best movies and riffs but the Pearl/Brainguy/Prof Bobo bumpers were dumb.

thought that was a yarmulke for a second but it was just some dyed hair
woops!

Good things
-NuJoel and NuCrow are pretty good
-Movie selection is excellent
-Some skits are good

Bad Things
-Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt are somehow worse than solo Pearl
-NuServo just isn't funny
-NuGypsy isn't funny
-overarching story is fucking stupid and not fun at all
-there's this awful timing with all of the jokes - they either don't tell any for minutes at a time or have so many coming at you there's not enough time to process it
-Even then, the jokes all sound like they've been passed by producer after producer to make sure they're "funny"
-The worst part, the absolute worst part, is that they can't seem to make up their mind what kind of budget they have. They pretend like they're still some poverty operation, but they have tons of special effects and materials. The original MST3K had charm BECAUSE it was poor and low budget, but when they actually got a budget after moving to Comedy Central, it's not like they skimped on it - they pushed it for all its worth. Here, it's like a bunch of producers told them to "capture the ESSENCE of the show", but there's a multi-million dollar budget, so out comes this horrific amalgamation of money and focus-grouped poverty aesthetics that makes the entire thing feel artificial, and almost spiteful of its own history.

There are two good episodes in the new season, and a few more acceptable ones, all said and done.

>At least he's not constantly singing like Kevin.

You can fuxk right off shill.

Servo singing along with the movie music is the best part of every episode!

check it out guys. I got my dad's enforcer for the weekend!

>LEAVE BRONX OH BABY LEAVE BRONX
>ONE DAY LOVE WILL FIND YOU!

I've never Fucking understood MST. Can someone explain the appeal to me?

It just looks Hella stupid.

This proves that Mike > Joel